Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bites have turned into blisters: anyone else have this happen?

(5 posts)
  1. peppy

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 5 2010 16:08:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Lat month I had a PCO inspect my place for bugs, and I came up clear. He had a vial of live bugs with him, which he uses to train his bug-sniffing dog, so I asked if he would let the bugs feed on me for a few minutes (they were still in the vial, which had mesh over the top). I wanted to see what my reaction would be like to potential bites.

Three weeks after I let the bugs feed on me, I developed four red pimple-like marks in the spot where they had fed. Within a few days, the marks had gotten bigger. It has now been exactly a week since the bites appeared (a month since the feeding) and the marks have turned into what looks like blisters--about two dozen, all clustered very close together. (They don't feel like blisters, though--they are very hard to the touch.)

I was wondering if anyone else has had this kind of presentation, and how long it typically takes for them to go away. I am now covering them with a band-aid because they are so unsightly. Although I have seen a lot of photos of bites, I have never seen ones that look quite like this. I am pretty conident they are bed bug bites from that feeding, however, since they are in the spot on my arm where I held the vial.

2. so unsettling

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 5 2010 16:17:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Well you are brave! That is really great, that you thought to do that.

I haven't noticed any real blisters of the type I think you are describing, but I do notice a few more blood blisters forming on me since this began. They are clearly blood blisters, which I have had before, and nothing more. But somehow I think their appearance is related. Also, i notice a strange phenomenon--my skin seems to becoming more brown in places where I had bites. Almost like moles forming in their wake. Sometimes I think any skin condition which we already had, is further aggravated by these bites. I always had a lot of moles, and have that brown spotting of the skin that develops as people age.

From what I have read here, bite appearance is hardly carved in stone and can look like just about anything. Your reactions are your reactions, similar to others I am sure. It could be the way these bites interact with our individual biochemical systems.

3. Nutso

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 6:34:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I've had the blisters from some spots. I figured it was from scratching them too much. Sure enough, once I stopped scratching, they stopped blistering. In fact, if I don't scratch, they disappear much quicker. But the ones I have scratched also left marks--scars, pale brown spots in some cases--that will probably never disappear.

4. Richard56

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 7:59:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe some topical cortisone and/or an antihistamine would help. Of course ask your doctor.

5. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 12:29:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

This type of boulious eruption is very rare with bedbugs and its the first time I have heard of it so long after exposure.

As I have stated previously if you get these immediately following a bite seek immediate emergency medical attention.

With the reaction occurring so long after the feeding event I would still advice seeking medical attention as this type of reaction is usually associated with extreme allergic reactions. If you notice any dark lines around the blisters log out and check in to A&E immediately.

Please also make sure that the K9 team are aware of this issue, if they are going to do feeding tests on people it should only be done with a single bedbug as the risk of an adverse reaction is increased with multiple bites. I would also advise anyone in the bedbug world to not rush to offer such a service as your insurers would most likely not consider it an insurable activity.

People need to think very carefully about doing such things as the risks to health far out weigh the value of anything you will learn about your response as its not a normal biting scenario and the data would be dubious at best.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,861 posts in 31,281 topics over 95 months by 13,530 of 14,307 members. Latest: nobedbugs, PolkaBox, bugsinarizona