Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

bites for days?

(22 posts)
  1. msr60

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 20:34:16
    #

Login to Send PM

We went to st. thomas this week and first am we had red itchy bites on thighs, ankles, forearms, wrists. My husband looks like he has measles. His are clustered and size of a dime and very very itchy. Bites keep coming out after we returned home. I have 20-30 smaller ones but as itchy. we saw no bed bugs. hotel sprayed for no see ums. can you get new bite marks days later? They have dark scabby center and white around when pressed down. We are on oral benadryl. Can these be bed bugs, or what? help. should we see a dermatologist, they are receding, but still red. only a few new ones tonite. thanks, thanks, thanks for advice

2. BBsBlow

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 20:40:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, they can show up days later- generally up to no more than 9 days after you've been bitten. Your description does sound like the bites I receive(d). Dermatologists can't necessarily diagnose the bites since they can look different on each person. I went to 5 doctors and no one said I had them. Had to convince the last dr. I went to (dermatologist) I had them since by that point I actually saw them! Read the FAQs here if you haven't already.

-Blow

3. msr60

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 21:02:02
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks, did you have bed bugs or no see um bites? how do you know how many days they will keep coming out for? can we bring them home with us? This is making me crazy!! thanks so much.

4. BBsBlow

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 21:10:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure what you mean by "no see um" bites. When I was at my old place, I saw them more times than I'll ever be able to count. I moved a few months ago, and haven't seen any. However, I've seen blood in my bed 2-3 times, and I do have bites. They're just less itchy than the first time around, which is to say they're still plenty itchy! Don't want to scare you, but it is possible that you brought them home. They can hitchike in clothing and in luggage. have you washed all of the stuff you brought with you on your trip? Where is your suitcase now?

5. Blue_Ox

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 22:42:50
    #

Login to Send PM

a "no see um" is a type of biting midge or fly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratopogonidae

6. nomorebugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 23:14:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I have never really looked into "no see ums". But when to the bites appear? BB feed at night, and typically you will notice hive like things in the morning. BB bites typically only happen on open skin. But I got them on the top of my back, I think my shirt got pushed up when I sleep, but in general, it was on exposed skin. Bite marks are in cluster, called breakfast, lunch, and dinner. When I read this, I knew it was the problem.

If this is the pattern, it may be best to suspect BB and act on it. You have alot of bites. If they happen when you were home, the infestation would be sizable. So you will probably see an infestation.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2007 23:29:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Click FAQs below--and look under travel. We have a FAQ about what to do if you encounter bed bugs on a trip.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. BBsBlow

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 2 2007 19:54:46
    #

Login to Send PM

BBs CAN bite through clothing. Believe me, I know. But if you cover up your whole body, they may then aim for your face, so keep that in mind.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 3 2007 3:39:28
    #

Login to Send PM

BBs,
    Are you sure they bite THROUGH your clothing? I always assumed they crawled under it. They love tight spaces, after all.

10. BBsBlow

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 3 2007 16:35:11
    #

Login to Send PM

NBOM-
    Sorry; to clarify: I mean more so that they don't only bite exposed areas. I can't say for sure that all the bites I reeived over time was because they crawled underneath clothing. I was pretty well tucked in and whatnot. But of course I do know they're small. Seriously, my next step is getting feet-y PJs! After all, they wouldn't be able to access my body that way. (Hope this makes sense- really tired at the moment.)

-Blow

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 2:30:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, BBs, then they bite your face. I preferred they bite the feet...
    What a sad thing to have to choose, eh?
    Death to bed bugs.

12. BBsBlow

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 14:24:22
    #

Login to Send PM

NBOM-
    I know, I know. I just give up. I have very few signs of them (occasional blood in places), yet I have scabbed over bites on my arms. Have to have PCO come for the 5th time! Goody. Is there one chemical that seems to work for a lot of people? My two month warranty ends at the end of this month.

Ugh,
    Blow

13. nyjammin

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 14:43:42
    #

Login to Send PM

BBsBlow said "I can't say for sure that all the bites I received over time was because they crawled underneath clothing. I was pretty well tucked in and whatnot. But of course I do know they're small."

On The Bed Bug Resource, under the heading "2nd treatment now or wait until mattress covers arrive" there are a couple of comments about bbs being observed going through the teeth of the zipper (hence that is why we are told to duct tape the whole zipper), and even through fabric on clothing. So this is my belief that bundling up to prevent bites does not always work.

14. BBsBlow

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 15:15:05
    #

Login to Send PM

NYJ-
    Thanks for that. My zipper is not covered by duct tape. But wouldn't there also presumably be blood on the mattress cover or pad? I've never had that. I just see it on my sheets or the (white) shirt I wear to bed. I wish I knew where they were hiding! I now have a jeweler's loop, but I don't know how much good it's going to do me since I don't know where to look. (I have virtually no furniture.)

-Blow

15. BklynBedbugHater

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 15:27:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I encased my mattress' and boxsprings in vinyl covers, and put clear tape over the zippers. After a few days, there were some small, dead bb's stuck to the tape, mostly at the far end of the zippers.

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 15:49:44
    #

Login to Send PM

BBS-- it is not about one chemical. Multi-pronged approaches work best. Pesticides and mechanical killers (like dusts) together seem to work best. PCO should not use only one chemical.

17. nyjammin

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 16:51:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Blow, I'm very sorry about this. Are your blood stains big or small? You see, sometimes I react to the bites and sometimes I do not. My bites are everything except welts, small hard white heads, red pinpricks, etc. The reason I ask is because one time I noticed blood stains on my sheets but underneath the pillow. They were pretty big and there seemed to be more than one spot. I usually sleep with my hands and wrist underneath the pillow to raise the pillow up a bit. Anyway, there were no bites on my hand or wrist. Strange? There has to be some sorta bite on my hand or wrist because that was the only part of my body that was in that area. But, nothing. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I do not think there is scienfic ways of blood spots to show up. I mean, where the heck did they bite me. From the look of the stains, it looked like they had a good meal that night. But, nothing. I don't think I squished any 'cause I believe there would've been blood on my hand wrist, underside of my pillow, something!! And usually the squished bbs produce a darker stain of blood. Is this insane talking about this!

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that there is no "science" as far as I'm concerned about blood stains or how they form or where they come from. But, this is my experience only and others may vary.

You said "where are they hiding?" Bedframe, floors, inside of walls, window sills and frames. I'm just speculating here, Blow. And you said that you have ALMOST no furniture. What about the furniture that is there? Just trying to help out here.

18. BBsBlow

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 18:04:37
    #

Login to Send PM

NBOM- I've had several chemicals, though I should say the last time he came armed with just one (D-Force). PCO has also used Suspend, and Bedlam. Previous PCO used Intruder HPX. No one has used a dust. I've owned DE since May, but have never used it since I didn't want to interfere with PCO's chemical usage. (I've read here that some won't treat if DE has been used.)

NYJ- Blood stains generally are on the small side, though one time was bigger. (You can see it under the BB bites pictures section under my personal pics. I revised everything yesterday.) I haven't had the welts in maybe a month; what I do get are mosquito-looking bites that bleed a tiny bit, and scab over. The bite sort of looks like it has an "eye" in that respect. I've got a few of them in various states of healing. The blood spots don't match up to where I get bites. For instance, there was a little blood on my pants, but no bite on my leg.

In my room I have no furniture, save for a something made of wood that I never put together. It's been in a cardboard (yes, I know. Bad!) box that's going to be stored. Other than that, nada. My living room has two shelves. I clean the windowsills. Don't have a boxspring or a bedframe. Bed's always been covered. Bought a new cotton cover a few weeks ago after my other one ripped. I'm starting to wonder what else this could be, but I can't think of anything. What else could be biting me, leaving welts, and the occasional blood in my bed? Yup, bed bugs!

Thanks for all of your help. I'm really at my wit's end.

-Blow

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 18:10:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, you should only add your own treatments (including DE) if the PCO approves. Many will. But they need to be informed.

20. BBsBlow

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 18:29:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm just going to wait until my guarantee with them ends, and then I'll move on to DE. I hope it doesn't go bad! (Not that I've opened it.)

21. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 19:38:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Blow, sorry to hear there's no improvement.

How about before your guarantee with your current PCO ends you meet with them to discuss your treatment. Why haven't they used a dust? How did they treat your switchplates? Or did they not? Ceiling fixtures? Can they rotate to another pesticide? Can your landlord order the inspection of the adjacent unit(s)?

I think you can't let them off the hook, the equivalent of oh, well. You have to lobby for a better protocol, for their best technician to service your apartment. Someone who takes his time (I say his because they're nearly always men) and makes a thorough application. If, after meeting with your PCO, their approach continues to be unsuccessful and/or their attitude to your infestation is unprofessional, I hope you will write about them publicly so that others know not to hire them! I certainly wouldn't.

Don't give up, Blow. I know we all believe that DE is a good tool but let me tell you that I've used DE extensively and I don't think you can fight an infestation only with DE.

22. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 20:00:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Blow,
    I agree with Hope. Please hold your PCO's feet to the fire and have him honor the guarantee. Be sure to tell him that you will be reviewing his performance on this site.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,358 posts in 29,439 topics over 90 months by 12,704 of 19,967 members. Latest: ShooBug, BuggyNoMoreIHope, hinfungyik