Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

[Was:] Bites, but no signs of bugs - help / thoughts? [a: now microscopic mites]

(96 posts)
  1. eclaire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 21:19:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Long story short....

We've been in our house for over a year with no signs of any bugs other than the occasional spider.

September 27 – 3 bites just down from my armpit
    October 3 – 2 bites on my left leg
    October 11 – 1 bite on my right hand
    October 17 – 3 bites on my right leg
    PCO investigated our house – inspected the mattress, drawers, etc. Ran the CDC 3000 for 10 hours and no signs of anything. Put down glue pads all around our bedroom and the only bug we caught were silver fish.
    November 11 – 6 bites on my left lower back

Still no sign of feces, blood stains, bugs, nymphs, nothing. On November 11 we put clean white sheets/pillowcases on our bed and havent changed them to date with the hopes that something will show up. Its been a week and NO signs anywhere. We inspect the bed every morning and night.

Made a flea trap and caught no fleas. Checked the dog and cat extensively for fleas, and found no fleas anywhere. When we called PCO again after the last round of bites, they said they thought it was fleas.

Does ANYONE have ANY advice? I feel like I am going nuts.

2. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 22:54:08
    #

Login to Send PM

You have just joined a club, involuntarily, which is growing in leaps and bounds.

3. eclaire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 8:11:46
    #

Login to Send PM

great.

4. NewBlood

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 8:58:32
    #

Login to Send PM

eclaire - 37 minutes ago  » 
    great.

Alas Eclaire there is little it seems we can do when this happens. In my case I have had two dog inspections after my apartment was treated - and no bugs were alerted too. I've scoured my walls, books, items, boxes, etc and found nothing. I sleep on a white bed (protect a bed encasement) with no pillows or the like (and I have no boxspring or frame so it's on the ground) and have never found a spot or spec. I've never found an egg, never seen a bug or shell, or any proof at all - yet the bites continue.

Have you tried to isolate the bed (not that it would help, but if you have something to catch bugs climbing up the frame you may be able to see what's getting you)? Is the bed encased in a bed-bug proof encasement (the bugs may be INSIDE the bed if there are holes or whatnot)?

It is possible that the bites are delayed and coming from somewhere else too. Also, are you the only one reacting in the house hold? (Not that this really matters as some other people may just not be reactors - however if it was something like fleas then I would think that everyone would react, and not just one person).

5. eclaire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 11:33:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed is not encased yet, though that is on our radar to do next.

My boyfriend has not been bit, or at least is not showing any signs of being bitten at this point.

Newblood: How long have you been getting bites? Frustrating isn't it? I suppose misery loves company.

6. NewBlood

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 12:28:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Eclaire,

I've been getting bites since the end of August - so about 2 1/2 months now and yes, it is very frustrating indeed! For me it seems that nothing is working at all. The treatments, cleaning, vacuuming, laundry - doesn't even slow down the bites. I still haven't seen a single bug, have no spots, specs or eggs. No other insects have I detected either - no mosquitoes, gnats, fleas, etc.

Yup, these bugs (if it's what it is) are really hard to track down. I think the expression is "they walk a foot above the ground, judging from footprints I have found". At this point I am trying to convince myself that it's something else - but what it could be eludes me completely. Mites? I wash twice a day, and clean all clothes immediately after wearing them on hot, and dry 'em on hot. My bedding is washed twice a week. I was vacuuming every day as of last week, and have gone back to once a week since it wasn't impacting the biting in any way. I'd like to think that the chemicals and residues that have been applied are killing them, but the bites just do not stop. Maybe I'm allergic to invisible bugs?

7. eclaire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 16:44:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe we are allergic to the same invisible bugs? Lord help us!!!

How often are you getting bit? Is it spaced out like my bites?

I'm starting to look at medical reasons which could be causing the bite like marks/welts that I am getting, but nothing seems to fit. I went to my doctor back in October and he said that it looked like bed bug bites to him.

I just think that if I had bed bugs (and same goes for you) wouldn't they have multiplied a trillion times over by now, and hence, we would be seeing some sort of sign? Surely we can't have hundreds of bugs hiding in our walls that only come out once week as a gang, bite us up, and run away without leaving any trace of evidence.... can we?

If so, lets pray that bed bugs don't evolve. With the ability to do that, they could break into real crime and screw up more than just our sleeping habits...

8. eclaire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 16:47:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and the mite theory... I am throwing that one around too, but I thought that I would have caught them on glue pads AND if I've had mites for 2 months, like bed bugs they would have multiplied a trillion times over and I would be seeing signs. From what I have read on mites, although they are small, you can see them crawling. They turn dark after they feed, so a dark spec crawling on my white sheets wouldn't be hard to locate, I would imagine. I am constantly inspecting the bed and the mattress, and no signs of that either.

Also, I read that mites go in your nose/ears, etc and you constantly have a crawling feeling all over your body. I don't have that.

ARGH!

9. NewBlood

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 17:36:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Eclaire,

The amount of bites has been rather odd and consistent. I'll elaborate:

The first set of bites I received numbered roughly 34 - all of these bites were located around my ankles and lower legs. These bites were terribly itchy and would 'flare' up constantly - especially at night. All of them looked like raised red pimples - they itched TERRIBLY and scratching would only make them itch even MORE. They were in lines around my sock line, or clusters of 2-4 in spots up my calves or thighs. This would have been around August 29th.

Afterwards I began to get an occasional other singular bite that would be similar and were located on my legs and/or feet. (This would have been from September 3rd - September 17th). I estimate I received 3 - 4 other bites over this two week period. After these two weeks new bites began to appear on my arms - however these bites were different then the other ones: they didn't itch quite the same (scratching would relieve the itch as opposed to making it worse) and they would fade away after 12 - 72 hours. They also looked quite different. This lasted until about October 3rd (when my first PCO treatment started). I'd say that on average I received about 2-5 bites a week.

On October 4th the bites began increasing in number. I began to receive bites everday as opposed to spaced out. I would get 1 - 5 bites - on my arms, legs, or stomach/chest. They also began showing up at regular times (either at 3:30 am, 6:30 am, or 6:30 pm) which I found very very odd.

On October 9th I received about another 37 bites all on my right calf. These resembled the FIRST bites I had got - raised pimples that itched like crazy. HOWEVER I had been outside walking in tall grass and now believe those bites to be chigger bites, as opposed to bed bug bites. This now begs the question about the OTHER bites I had got initially - were they chigger bites as well? I had been walking around in sandals outside the day before and was walking in wet grass... if so did I get bed bugs from some mysterious place immediately afterwards?

After October 9th I have been constantly under attack. I receive between 1 - 5 bites each day, mostly on my arms but occasionally on my legs or stomach/chest and they appear randomly throughout the day as opposed to certain times. They itch for roughly 10 - 15 minutes and then remain as raised bumps for 12 - 72 hours - fading away afterwards. Those initial bites, and the 37 other ones on my calf? They are STILL there - but none of them itch anymore, they're just dark red spots now.

Anyway - I hope the info helps somewhat! I'm not experiencing any 'crawling' feelings either - just bite like reactions to SOMETHING. Since I've been cleared by two K9 teams so I should think it's not bed bugs - but I don't think I'm ever going to stop worrying until the bites stop.

10. eclaire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 17:58:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh wow! Thanks for the response.

So you have rec'd alot more bites than myself so far anyways. From what I have read online, I understand that bed bugs don't really bite that much in one night? I could be wrong, but I think thats correct.

We don't have a K9 unit here (I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada) as far as I know. If we did, I would have them come in right away.

I think I am going to put my bed frame legs in some sort of container with mineral oil in them to see if I can catch anything. At this point, I just want to know what the hell it is, so I can make a plan to deal with it, you know? Of course you know.

Yeah, the mite symptoms don't really fit me either. We did have some birds living in our eaves back in the spring but they left around May, and the bites only started the end of September. If there were bird mites, they would have started biting sooner, and we would see/have other symptoms. At least that is what I can gather from what I have read.

Ah well... keep me posted on your progress... and I'll do the same... good luck

11. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 18:21:01
    #

Login to Send PM

12. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 18:34:49
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Nobody ever read my urticating hairs theory?
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/urticating-hairs-and-scales-a-mystery-bite-cause#post-59297

It should be in the FAQ posting sticky above.

Bites with no signs is one of the hardest things to diagnose either on site or online because quite often it is a process of ruling things out rather than finding the cause in many cases.

I have often sat thinking I will start to write a guide but it really is a massively daunting task and takes me too far from my core speciality. I also think one of the best resources comes from DR Potter in the form of:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ent58.asp

The only thing I would add is that if you find a bed bug sample but cant find any faecal traces and bites persist think bat bugs or martin / bird bugs as a next logical step. I was discussing this with someone states side today and it would appear that in certain parts of the US bat and martin bugs are possibly as common as bed bugs but they tend not to be an issue in more urban and built up environments.

Either way keeping accurate data is essential such as bite numbers against dates and even bite locations can help. I would also suggest that with mysteries such as this finding a consulting entomologist or an investigatory pest controller with a keen eye for detail would be good paths to look at.

Hope this helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

13. NewBlood

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 8:35:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Spideyjg and BBcoukHome,

Thanks for responding here. I have seen carpet beetle larvae crawlin' around recently - I've never seen them before and I panicked when I saw one for the first time back in September, but I like the little wooly guys now. I have read about the hairs of them from your previous posts - but would this reaction occur immediately or after some time has passed? I ask because the bites I receive happen no matter where I am - driving in my car, at work, at home when I wake up, in the shower, or when I'm in completely different places (for example, last night I was at an award banquet and had three bites show up on my left elbow during dinner). I also had grabbed one and rubbed it against my arm (poor little thing) but had no reaction at all - I kept the area so rubbed circled in pen, but nothing ever showed up there.

I've searched the internets for as much data as possible - so I realize that it could be many other things, and I'm trying to rule them out one by one (scabies medicine and another thorough washing of all my bed linens and sheets didn't get the problem to stop so I can rule them out - my doctor has prescribed Xyzal and Singulair (antihistamine, and a leukotriene receptor antagonist) to break my body of any delayed reactions it may be having as allergic reactions). I will most likely have the PCO's that treated me down one more time - and if they can't find anything a third time then... argh! I'll be both happy, and sad I suppose.

BBcoukHome, I'm trying to use a calculated approach as you suggest - it's just frustrating because like so many others I want an easy solution. I keep hoping to wake up one night covered in bed bugs so I can actually know what's going on. It's the not knowing that's the worst - as I don't want to have the PCO's that have treated/scanned multiple times now back if I honestly don't have bed bug problems any longer.

Well... back to work with me! And thanks again for the input!

14. NewBlood

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 8:40:03
    #

Login to Send PM

eclaire - 14 hours ago  » 
    Ah well... keep me posted on your progress... and I'll do the same... good luck

Thanks Eclaire, and yes, keep me posted on your progress as well! I forgot to mention in the above post that the K9 teams DID alert to the presence of bed bugs twice (on two separate days, two weeks apart, two separate dogs/handklers) before I got treated for them (this would have been October 3rd and 10th I think). Never was an actual bug, egg, casing, or spec/spot found though. Now the same teams are not alerting on anything - so I should feel better about it, but the bites keep on coming. I've been trying to convince myself that it's something else - and all of my family and friends are trying to do so too but with the high cost (money, time) that comes with these things I'd rather seem crazy then spread them around.

15. eclaire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 11:58:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree... its the not knowing that is making me nuts too. I read up on so much stuff last night on the net and barely slept at all because i felt creepy crawlies all night and kept turning the light on and searching and found NOTHING.

I with you though, I almost wish I could find a bed bug so I could just make a plan to deal with them and move on with my life, you know? I'm a 'planner' by nature so being completely out of control and having no plan to follow is literally driving me insane.

Off to wash the sheets, inspect the bed and scrub the entire house.... AGAIN. Keep smilin'

16. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 12:17:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Also remember that it's also possible that you're being bitten somewhere else.

I had confirmed bed bugs in June 2008. I had a scare in August 2008. I had my PCO come back in and inspect and he found nothing.

But I knew I had bed bug bites.

Eventually I figured out that I must have been bitten when I went to a movie theater, since that was the only thing I'd done differently in that time.

I know it's frustrating when you can't find the source of the bites, but if it's not bed bugs, that's actually good news of a sort since most pests are easier to get rid of than bed bugs once you identify what the source is.

The fact that you're getting bitten (or reacting) but your significant other isn't could mean that he just doesn't react and/or that you're getting bitten/exposed somewhere other than home.

Wish I could be more help in terms of specifics. Hang in there, and please consider coming back to update us when you get to the bottom of the mystery. The more information we have about the source of mystery bites the more help we can be to other people who are suffering from them in the future.

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 16:00:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like carpet beetles is a likely cause. The reaction does not occur through contact its a little more complex and bizarre than that.

I would suggest that you take some boiled water that has cooled and mist all the carpets of your home to see if this cuts things out. The reaction to hairs in the environment is only solved by either removingt he hairs or stopping them from flying about and interacting with you.

There is also a lot of sense in the medical advice you have been given, sometimes a low dose of antihistamines will dull the bodies response and allow it to tolerate things once the course of medication has finished. The approach however does not work with bed bugs and the only solution there is removal of the bed bugs.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  18. eclaire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 17:40:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggyinsocal: I will definitely keep everyone updated on how things progress. I am keeping log of all bites and cleaning days on my computer to see if I can find a correlation there, here, or anywhere!!!

19. NewBlood

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 10:42:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like carpet beetles is a likely cause. The reaction does not occur through contact its a little more complex and bizarre than that.

Wow. It's going to be bizarre indeed! I thought for sure that just rubbing one of them against my skin would be able to them rule out as the culprit. I should mention that I haven't seen tons of these things - maybe... 3 alive, and about 5 dead over the past three months now. They seem to hide rather well too.

Also - my face is unaffected by this entire thing. My arms, hands, shoulders, legs and chest/stomach get bite marks - but not my face. I guess I expected all of me to react to hairs instead of just bits of me.

I would suggest that you take some boiled water that has cooled and mist all the carpets of your home to see if this cuts things out. The reaction to hairs in the environment is only solved by either removingt he hairs or stopping them from flying about and interacting with you.

Whoa! I'll start that tomorrow then and see what happens - hopefully that will make the marks stop. Also - why would I be reacting to the hairs outside of my apartment if this was the cause? Like... yesterday I was out with some friends and after 6 hours some new marks showed up on me - why would my body delay a reaction to their hairs for so long?

There is also a lot of sense in the medical advice you have been given, sometimes a low dose of antihistamines will dull the bodies response and allow it to tolerate things once the course of medication has finished. The approach however does not work with bed bugs and the only solution there is removal of the bed bugs.

Yup - which is why I want to go through with the medication. This may help me rule out bed bugs as the culprit (I do not want to stop reacting if they are bed bugs - as then I'll never know if they're honestly gone or now if I have them, or get them in the future). Thanks for the advice - I'll let you know how things turn out!

20. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 15:24:07
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a great thread for us mystery bite sufferers, so I'll help keep it alive.

I have had bites for two years, exactly as NewBlood and eclaire have described. All attempts to professionally eradicate problem were unsuccessful.

In fact, I went way beyond misting the floors (threw out all my carpeting). I got brand new stone-type tile flooring.

Bites persist.

21. eclaire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 16:53:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Bait - how often are you getting the bites and how many bites at a time do you typically get? Where are you getting them?

I can't imagine this going on for 2 years... I will literally lose my mind. Ugh.

22. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 17:11:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I have no evidence other than bites and blood streaks on my sheets. It's possible it's not a bed bug, or is a more rare strain of BB, or it's been speculated it's a not-yet-understood parasite/mite/symbiont of the bed bug.

I find terrestrial crustaceans (Isopod) near my bed, but the ento has said they're harmless. Again, I'm thinking parasite/mite/symbiont of the Isopod.

I can live w/ it cuz it is better now that I self-treat: DE and Ortho Home Defense Max. I'm atypical, although my situation is not unheard of.

You will likely find your evidence. This site will help enormously. Don't go rogue unless you have to. However, my best advice to you is to follow your instincts. No one else knows what you're going through, and no one on this site or anywhere else has all the answers.

23. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 17:26:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I didn't answer your questions! I get bit almost daily during sleep on any exposed part of my body, becoming itchy within 10 hours. Sometimes I can't sleep after being bit for about 3 hours.

Nowadays I get a few bites in one spot, but earlier I would get many, having perhaps as many as 20 bites raging at the same time.

There are two others in my household; one never gets bit, the other does but much less often than I.

24. eclaire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 23 2009 17:56:27
    #

Login to Send PM

So I got three new bites last night. On the back of my right leg - calf area.

Here is the kicker, I was wearing full length leggings. For those of you not aware of what those are - they are like spandex type pants, only cotton. So they are like a second skin.

Can BB bite through clothing? Argh. Searched the bed high and low this morning, no signs of anything.

25. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 23 2009 18:19:03
    #

Login to Send PM

eclaire - 8 minutes ago  » 
    I was wearing full length leggings. For those of you not aware of what those are - they are like spandex type pants, only cotton. So they are like a second skin.

Now this could be a breakthrough in the case. I am going to chaulk this one up as a spray not and observe - please read on.

eclaire - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Can BB bite through clothing? Argh. Searched the bed high and low this morning, no signs of anything.

Bed bugs can not bite through clothing:

They do not have chewing mouth parts so cant cut through material

They will only attempt to feed through the finest of membranes after many weeks in captivity and they do not enjoy it that much. Some may recall the You Tube footage of Entomologist Matt Camper feeding through a stencil to get a pattern in the bite area.

With this and the sightings of carpet beetles I am going to again go for the carpet beetle allergy / uriticaria. The interaction between hairs and people seems to be mediated with static and the hairs are attracted to the person and embed into the skin. This quite rightly sets off an immune reaction just in the same way that a cut or nick in the skin would do. It has the added immune reaction advantage of trace amounts of foreign matter in the form of the hair.

Searching you are unlikely to find anything aside from the odd skin or larvae. It is actually very common and many homes have them, in 99.9999% of homes they are not an issue. What causes some to be affected I have no idea.

You may want to try something that will filter the air in the room. I have had some success with something called the Good Sphere but use it more for improving the air quality than as an adjunct to pest control.

Hope that helps.

David

26. wchicago

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 23 2009 20:33:49
    #

Login to Send PM

wow -interesting. how sheer were the leggings? i'm asking, because i got bitten through tights once. i know FOR SURE it was a bb cuz it was a clear little nymph on the back of my knee and i killed it. black opaque tights -sheerer than leggings, but less sheer than pantyhose. so, it can happen. but in fact, that bite didn't redden and blister like the others -and it was the only time i felt a bite and a bug was actually on me (usually i'm delayed a few hours or until i take a hot shower), so it was bitus interruptus, or maybe they really can't do much (and certainly not stealthily) through tights.
    david's carpet beetle hypothesis sounds extremely compelling -i'm not questioning it <he's the expert after all>, just letting you know i was bitten through tights once. not leggings though, just tights.
    i really really hope its carpet beetles.

27. eclaire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Nov 24 2009 23:58:15
    #

Login to Send PM

David-

The leggings were cotton and fairly thick. Definitely thicker than tights - they are not see through at all.

I havent seen any carpet beetles, I think you have me confused with the other user that was responding on this thread as well.

My questions then, are these:

1. If BB don't bite through clothing, they likely would have went for my ankles (that were bare) or my arms (that were bare) instead of climbing their way up underneath my skin tight leggings?
    2. If thats the case, then its a compelling argument against me NOT having bed bugs, which begs the eternal question - WHAT THE HELL IS BITING ME? LOL Any thoughts on insects that DO bite through clothing, or that would rather climb up underneath my leggings to bite my calf, then bite my bare skin (ankles, arms, etc)?

As always, any thoughts are appreciated!

28. eclaire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 25 2009 0:08:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok back up the soul train here... I just googled carpet beetles... out of interest....

So... do/can these guys look almost like mini ear wigglers? (thats what we call them in Nova Scotia anyways) Like mini centipedes kinda?

Because I *HAVE* found little like shell/skin looking things in behind my bed, but that was months and months ago and I haven't seen any since and had no reaction to them when I actually saw the shells/skin. Also, I have only one room in my entire house with carpet and thats in the basement and in the year I lived here, I've probably spent a total of 20 minutes in that room. Do they live in carpet (hence the name?) or is the name not related to their habitat?

*fingers crossed* that I'm onto something here.... pray with me people... LOL

29. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 25 2009 0:22:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to share another hypothesis regarding eclaire's bite on her calf through the stocking.

It's possible that the bite actually occurred before the stocking was on, when you weren't sleeping or the night or two before. The stocking could be the irritant giving rise to the reaction.

Don't forget to look up terrestrial crustaceans (Isopod). Could this be your mini ear wiggler?

30. eclaire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 25 2009 15:26:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Bait: I'm REALLY fair skinned so any little nick or pinch shows up on me like a rainbow. I always check myself over completely before going to bed and in the morning to see if there is any difference. When I went to bed, there were no marks on that area of my leg. I think if I am being bitten, or having an allergic reaction, it would show almost instantly, because I am so pale.

As for the isopod, I googled that and it doesn't look like what I found.

Here is a link of a picture I found online that looks similar to what I found, though in the picture its hard to gauge how big they are. The ones I found are probably 1/4 of an inch long?

http://www.preview.test.frontierwebdev.com/savemysweaters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/carpetBeetleShells.jpg

31. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 25 2009 16:40:53
    #

Login to Send PM

eclaire, I would reason that your fair skin might allow you to see a mark or hole easily, but it won't be what permits you to see the reaction. The reaction to the bite is the immune system responding to the foreign "material" - for lack of a better word, deposited in/under your skin. It would become itchy, puffy, raised, etc. thereby making it noticable to you. That is how bites don't "appear" for hours on.

If anybody can clarify this concept or dispute my explanation, please, by all means do.

Hang in there, eclaire.

32. eclaire

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Nov 25 2009 16:44:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Bait... yeah I see what you are getting at there... I guess I just think of being bitten by a mosquito or a fly and how I can see a reaction very soon after the bite takes place.

You aren't wrong in proposing that I could have been bit a hour or so before heading to bed... its a possibility that the bites just flared up once I was already in bed...

I feel like I'm runnin' on a treadmill! Bargh!

33. NewBlood

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Apr 12 2010 17:59:43
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 4 months ago  » 
    David

I resurrect thee great thread. Today I found a horde of carpet beetle larvae in various stages of decay and life in my car, at least 80 of the things and about a 1/16th inch thick coating of 'frass' I believe its called as well. I went tearing through my car searching for something and found the little guys (and... ex little guys) living under my spare tire and trunk case. This may explain may strange reactions so far - as I am constantly exposed to these hairs no matter the spraying and/or cleaning of the place I live, and also the reactions appearing at different places/times. I am hoping beyond hope that these things are indeed the culprit and not some extremely well hid bed bugs.

On that note I moved out of my apartment 10 days ago and the bite like marks have not stopped - although I did have a period of about 5 days without any marks (the longest previous length of time was 4 I think) they have picked up again. I would be curious as to how the delayed reacion works for these insects though - as I am not in my car all the time (yesterday I was not in it at all in fact but I had 8 new 'bites' on me this morning - perhaps some of the hairs are lodged in my clothing or a day (or more) late in appearing). I also realize that I may have both carpet beetles and bed bugs but hopefully it's the former now and not the latter.

Although... meh... antihistimines did nothing to stop my bodies reaction to whatever is causing the marks. I am not sure if they would stop me from reacting to these hairs.

34. uglymod

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2011 23:27:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I recently discovered this website in search for the holy grail of answers to "what the heck is biting me"?

I live in a house with 4 other people 2 of them a share a room with. The room i live in has no carpets just wooden floor and we sleep on the floor laying on top of a comforter. My girlfriend and i share the same bed in this case comforter which is washed every week.

Our bodies look like the moon filled with crates of bites all over our body except our faces. Including out private parts. We do have a pest in the house which is roaches. I have heard they rarely bite humans seeing as they feed on DEAD organic matter.

carpet beetles is ruled out. I have never seen one of those in my entire area. My area is southern california, i'm not sure if area matters at all. There is no carpet in the house no drapes, the only material in our home is clothing blankets and a couch. There is no evidence of bedbugs. no feces r blood spatter. No body else in my house is getting bit. This narrows down the search to what i believe are the two things left.

Fleas, our dogs have them. yet i havent seen a single one. They sleep in a different room and are treated with flea baths and advantage.
    Fleas do not bite everyone. It varies on the victim.
    So its either fleas or......... After weeks of research I have found....... scabies. Sounds terrible doesnt it? It kind of is. Scabies is a mite that burrows into the skin where it lays hundreds of eggs so that its children can continue to live off your body. This parasite is almost invisible to the eye. My girlfriend and I are both getting checked for two things on monday. 1. Scabies and 2. STD's as sad as it may sound its better to be safe than sorry seeing as syphilis creates a rash on the body that looks similar to insect bites. Im almost 110% positive its not an STD so it either fleas or scabies.

These bites itch like crazy and make it impossible to sleep. I will post the results when I get them to maybe allow others to discover this invisible bug that is attacking so many.

35. NewBlood

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2011 10:24:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Uglymod!

uglymod - 10 hours ago  » 
    I recently discovered this website in search for the holy grail of answers to "what the heck is biting me"?

This question was THEE question to be answered when I started this thread going on two years ago now. I have learned the hard way that it is indeed impossible to tell what it could be - as bed-bugscouk was correct so long ago - and my 'bites' were/are actually delayed allergic reactions to carpet beetle hairs!

I live in a house with 4 other people 2 of them a share a room with. The room i live in has no carpets just wooden floor and we sleep on the floor laying on top of a comforter. My girlfriend and i share the same bed in this case comforter which is washed every week.
    Our bodies look like the moon filled with crates of bites all over our body except our faces. Including out private parts. We do have a pest in the house which is roaches. I have heard they rarely bite humans seeing as they feed on DEAD organic matter.

Whoa I am so sorry. As I said before though - bite like reactions do not a bed bug make. I would have bet the house that my reactions where caused by insects and, while I was right, they weren't caused by insects actually biting me at all. I only have to enter my attic or await the fall time to have the reactions begin anew.

carpet beetles is ruled out. I have never seen one of those in my entire area. My area is southern california, i'm not sure if area matters at all. There is no carpet in the house no drapes, the only material in our home is clothing blankets and a couch. There is no evidence of bedbugs. no feces r blood spatter. No body else in my house is getting bit. This narrows down the search to what i believe are the two things left.

Well... you don't have to have carpets to have carpet beetles. They are an external bug - feeding on pollen and the like I believe. They are accidental invaders when they get inside your home - not that they wouldn't mind being there if there's stuff for them to eat. I believe they eat decomposing material (dead bugs for one thing) and the like - carpet fibers work for them too but they aren't the substance they evolved around.

Fleas, our dogs have them. yet i havent seen a single one. They sleep in a different room and are treated with flea baths and advantage.
    Fleas do not bite everyone. It varies on the victim.

Hrmm.. I didn't think that fleas care about who is around if they want some food. If you suspect fleas though you can pick up a cheap flea monitor and plug it into a wall to catch a few as proof, treat that thoroughly and then see if the reactions clear up. With difficult to find bed bugs this is the name of the game: eliminating other causes until they remain the only possibility.

So its either fleas or......... After weeks of research I have found....... scabies. Sounds terrible doesnt it? It kind of is. Scabies is a mite that burrows into the skin where it lays hundreds of eggs so that its children can continue to live off your body. This parasite is almost invisible to the eye. My girlfriend and I are both getting checked for two things on monday. 1. Scabies and 2. STD's as sad as it may sound its better to be safe than sorry seeing as syphilis creates a rash on the body that looks similar to insect bites. Im almost 110% positive its not an STD so it either fleas or scabies.

Scabies love your knuckles and tender joints and are most likely to be found there. They are also very easily transmittable - and generally if found/suspected then everyone in the household will need to be treated for them (including the pets I think). All laundry must be washed and bedding too and the lotion/cream you are given used afterwards. Follow the docs orders to the letter with what you'll be given. (I was treated for scabies during my 'mystery bite' age).

These bites itch like crazy and make it impossible to sleep. I will post the results when I get them to maybe allow others to discover this invisible bug that is attacking so many.

Hopefully it is fleas or scabies! I know I was praying for that over bed bugs two years ago, and I my prayers were answered when it turned out to be carpet beetle hairs!

- Newblood!

36. uglymod

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2011 17:13:00
    #

Login to Send PM

The culprit is indeed scabies. My girlfriend picked it up from her school. She goes to school for cosmetology and she recently learned about scabies. She remembers laughing about it like we all do thinking she would never get it. Well she did from working on a client and brought these disgusting things here.

The dead give away was the burrows they leave in your skin filled with eggs. For a second yesterday i thought bedbugs because I was beginning to notice red spots on the wall of our room closest to where we sleep. I still need to look into that.

I am a very clean person so knowing this makes my immaculate hygiene seem like its not. This just comes to show, if one is ignorant of the signs of any infestation it gets worse very quick. In a way I am glad its not bed bugs. those pests are very difficult to get rid of.

Thanks to this forum I was able to eliminate potential causes. Thanks to OP

37. JulieH

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 24 2011 2:12:57
    #

Login to Send PM

This question was THEE question to be answered when I started this thread going on two years ago now. I have learned the hard way that it is indeed impossible to tell what it could be - as bed-bugscouk was correct so long ago - and my 'bites' were/are actually delayed allergic reactions to carpet beetle hairs!

Newblood, as a member of the "What is bitting me ?" club, please tell me how you confirmed your 'bites' were actually a reaction from carpet beetle hairs because I too am suspecting them. I had to laugh when I read that you rubbed one of the little fuzzy guys on your arm and had no reaction - I did that too ! (no reaction). So how did you finally figure out what it was ?

38. InvisibleBite

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 22:25:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

Say hi to the newest member of your club: me.

First and foremost, I can't tell you how helpful your input has been on a multitude of levels. Thanks to all of you, not only have I been able to get as close diagnosing this mystery annoyance as possible, but I've found camaraderie and a sense of relative catharsis in sharing the problems of total strangers. So, thank you for that.

In short, I'm experiencing the exact same phenomenon as all of you. And, like many of you, I've found only evidence of isopodic casings. No signs of bed bugs. Maybe it's carpet beetles. Maybe it's terrestrial crustaceans. Whatever it is, it sucks. And thank God it might not be bed bugs, if for nothing more than not having to endure the shame of admitting such a problem.

For me, it tends to happen almost on a nightly basis, but particularly on nights when my blanket (which is too big for my bed) hits the floor. Some nights it's one bite. Some nights there are more. Whatever it is avoids my not-live-in girlfriend. So, thank God for that, too. If I were her, and I was getting bitten by some mystery bug every time I spent the night, I'd most certainly break up with me.

Also, like all of you, I have no idea what to do about it... except maybe swallow a deep glass of red wine, listen to comforting music, light a candle, and pray for an eventual end to this. I'll probably just end up moving - one of the benefits of living in a lease-less apartment.

Until then, please know that there is someone in the heart of Brooklyn, New York, who goes to bed feeling the same anxieties, the same fears, and the same courage as all of you. Thanks again, and please, keep updating the post as you gain more info. I'll be sure to do the same.

Good night.

39. duckie2404

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 13:13:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I ve been going completely insane lately. I moved into my new apt about 3 months ago, and initially I was okay. Then I started noticing little larve (like 4 around the apt.). When I noticed a red little larve on my box springs (new bed and bed frame from ikea) I freaked about and checked my entire bed for bugs. I found no evidence. (This was about a month ago). I decided to treat my bed as if I had bed bugs just for some peace of mine. I washed averything, encased my mattress, sprayed the frame and mattress and box springs.... I was okay for a little while, then I started itching... often. My back, arms, legs, everyting itched. And now I am seeing little random bumps that itch on my arms and back... I change my sheets often and check my red often and see no signs of bugs. I am at a loss of what to do to stop getting bitten at night. =( What else could it be? Its a brand new bed, and I have no signs of bugs. I though maybe it was in my head and if I just calmed down the bumps and itch would go away.... but so far it hasnt. Any advice would help!

40. AshamedandScratching

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 13:20:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Any of them look like these?

Pics of Carpet Beetle Larvae

They can cause similar reactions and require a good cleaning to get rid of them.

41. bondgirl49

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 23 2012 13:24:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear god. I have read all of your posts and was hopping beyond hope that by the end of the board, someone would have posted THE answer.

I have had bites appearing nightly this last week on weeknight. Saturday morning I flipped out, not being able to handle it anymore, and took apart my entire bed and found nothing. There was some dust and I vacuumed it all up. I sprayed my entire room with eco friendly bug killer as well as some hardcore Raid. That night and this last night, no new bites! However, I am starting to feel like I might be getting them at work. I am terrified that I will wake up tomorrow with more bites.

I wake up in the middle of the night itching. They are red and small and get bigger after a few days and they won't go away. They have a small "hole" in the center, which is only visible a few days after the fact.

They itch like buggers.

I haven't found a single trace of anything. My family thought it might be a spider, but they don't bite several times in a night? The bites are all on my left side. Torse, shoulder, bra line and now belly button.

42. astroblastr0

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 24 2012 1:53:58
    #

Login to Send PM

After 3 years of waking up with mysterious bites on my body...I have finally discovered what has been happening. And it sounds very similar to a lot of people on this post. I had bed bugs in an apartment so I know these bites were not bed bugs. I have had blister beetle bites-mosquiot bites-spider bites...and the bites I had been waking up with were some of the most intense bites I had ever experienced. so I knew they were none of these... The bites were mostly on my arms and hands/ feet neck and face... and would last several days. The itching was incredible...It would wake me up from deep sleep.
    you may or may not believe it but the insect that was biting me was silver fish. And I didn't believe it at first, because EVERYTHING says that they are harmless and do not bite humans...its simply not true. This was so difficult to figure out because they are super fast, and are nocturnal.
    they are pretty simple to rid yourself of, as they live in moisture and feed on mold papers flour and glues. its honestly hard to believe because of the literature out there on this bug.
    But try sleeping with the lights on, and if you wake up bite free, it might be worth looking into.

43. Buggybumpers

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 2:27:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I am having an issue right now with a piece of furniture in which a visitor to my home seems to have been bitten twice in a row while occupying it--and I can't see any sign of BBs. But beds are a little different and I have had some experience there. Before I ever dreamed I could be a victim of BBs, I woke up with what seemed like itchy welts. Putting two and two together I decided to inspect my bed, even looked between the mattress and box spring--nothing. It was not until I finally, with help, took the entire bed apart and looked *inside* the box spring that I discovered BBs and their larvae.

My conclusion is that some of the people who come here and ask "Where are they?" are simply not checking their beds thoroughly enough. Just inspecting the sheets and lifting up the mattress is no good. I found that out the hard way. I suppose that, in a heavy infestation, one would see a lot of signs on the bed, but a heavy infestation [God save us all from that] takes time to develop. Check every single nook and cranny of your entire bed, frame, headboard, everything. Get climb-ups. They trap anything going in or down the legs. But, mainly, I think the bugs like to stay put and are smart enough to hide well. They will stay near you, where you sleep or spend considerable time. Try tearing that thin film off the bottom of your box spring and look in there. You may finally find what you've been looking for.

44. edtt

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Apr 9 2012 22:09:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, what a post!
    I too, and possibly my dtr have been getting mystery bites for about 6 days.
    I had 6 one morning, then 2 2 days later and then on today.....maybe.
    The first 8 itched like mad!
    The 3 my dtr got r tiny and not sure if they r related.
    Frankly this is a nightmare of mine, so I have researched and have been looking extensively.
    Driving my family crazy.
    I will be getting leg interceptors tomorrow.
    Now, we DO have carpet beetles, no carpet, but I see them periodically.
    We have been here for ivermectin 5 hrs.
    Why wouldi be effected by them now?
    Trust me, I WANT it to be th little critters!!
    Thoughts?
    Please

45. itchey

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 11 2012 9:59:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I too am a member of the "MYSTERY BITE" club. Everyday since Feb. I wake up with red spots/bites. Mainly on my ankles and feet and they itch. A few on my arms and wrist-itch also but not as bad. They are not increasing in numbers and disappear after a few hours. I have tore my bedroom apart several times with no sign of BB's. I sleep on white sheets-nothing. I encased my mattress and boxsprings and still continue with these spots/bites. I moved my bed to the center of the room and put extremely sticky carpet tape around the legs of my bed frame to catch something walking up-nothing. I wake in the wee hours of the morning and shine a flashlight across my bed to see something-nothing. I have slept on the couch-still get them. Daughter who reacts terribly to insect bites has nothing. I work in a hospital ER which is continually exposed to BB's. I'm wondering if this could all be in my head due to the fear of bringing home BB's.

46. pincushion

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 15 2012 0:31:22
    #

Login to Send PM

[b]Oh my gosh!!! Now I'm terrified!!! I just started getting these bites a week ago & now I see that I am CURSED! I don't understand why my husband sits in the same sofa, sleeps in the same bed, drives the same car & he has NO bites (maybe 2)!!! It is NOT an allergy & the itching is unbearable! My husband thinks it's mosquitoes, but how many invisible mosquitoes can there be? I am really scared now, seriously.

47. killdienow

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2012 1:13:14
    #

Login to Send PM

steamed my whole bed yesterday.

confirmed bedbugs in dec. spray in jan. last sighting was a dead bb 4/3 (this was not promising)

2 follow up dogs: negative (initial positive was accurate)

many tiny bites. spots. sharp zings. bumbs that dont itch but look like bites and not zits. im not acne prone.
    im posting a photo album. teating if the link works.
    http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=a5acc59827a0354ad33ce936de451066

48. killdienow

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2012 1:32:54
    #

Login to Send PM

new link to my mystery bites!

http://ohyeahbiteme.shutterfly.com/pictures#n_5

49. rockonerin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 27 2012 12:21:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh my gosh, PLEASE tell me this thread is still active!! I've been getting mystery bites since October and I can't take it anymore!!!!

I sleep on white sheets and there's nothing there. I live in the city and don't spend much time outside of the city scape - so no time spent in a garden, lawn, etc. No bed bugs for sure - I've done extensive research after being a city-dweller for 10 years. No fleas on the cats. I live in New England (northeast US) so no tropical bugs. I get about 1 bite a week now but it swells up to about golf ball size. I've seen 2 allergists and 1 dermatologist in the past month alone. I don't know what to do. Doctors ask if I feel a crawling sensation all over my body and I say OF COURSE - these things itch so badly, it radiates through my whole being.

It helps knowing there are others out there but I need to get some answers. I'm sick of merely treating the symptoms.

Help!!!!!

50. Abugtoofar

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 1 2012 2:12:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I read this thread the other night and it has been one of the most helpful things I found have done. I started getting bites on Sunday the 29 th Apr on my forearms after I stayed in a hostel. I've been bitten before, again whilst staying in a hostel and really reacted badly, big swelling and what looked like bruising round the bite. The bites this time were very small and only moderately itchy and that threw me. I didn't think bed bugs as my reaction wasn't bad enough. Anyway I ended up bringing some of the little critters home. I usually chuck my stuff on my bed and sort it out and this is how I believe they they arrived.
    After a couple of days, maybe four, I started getting a few more bites. My reaction was pretty mild and they were just annoying. I couldn't figure out what was up so I saw a doc thinking I had some sort of rash or allergic reaction going on, he suggested bed bug and I suddenly clicked. I went home and stated putting everything through the wash. I got the steam iron out and went over the mattress, even. Things calmed down and I started to relax, then about five days later I started getting more bites. This is now the two week point from the first bites. Confusingly my old bites were all acting up and I couldn't tell if was getting bitten or just having some sort of delayed reaction. After a couple of days I decided they must be new bites and went thought the whole process again, this time putting glues boards under the legs of my bed. I also took the cover of the bed box and stemed all the joints thoroughly. Might add that at this point I still hadn't found any sign of bb's except bites. Again a couple of days relief and then more new bites.
    The next step was a new mattress and a sheets though the was again. This had no effect at all, the bugs didn't even flinch, more bites.
    Then I read this thread and the comment by buggybumpers above. I figured I wasn't looking hard enough and as I kept the mattress in the manufactures pollythene cover it must be he bed box. I had a thourough check again but could not see and signs at all, I placed some glue boards strategically in the box and waited. The next night more bites, I checked all the glue boards, no bugs and no other signs. I'm guessing they must be in a corrugated cardboard top sheet I can't get at without writing off the unit. I chucked the bed box and go a new one.Now both the mattress and bed box are still wrapped in pollythene. That brings us up to date.
    My conclusions so far are that the bugs were isolated to the bed, none of the glue board have caught anything and the bed isn't against a wall or anything. Time will tell. At least everything I own is now pretty clean anyway.
    It's been a pretty weird experience , I haven't seen a clue of any kind, I've been working of assumptions the whole time. I'm confident however I've seen the last of them, I'll let you know.

51. AndroidKills

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 2 2012 1:13:48
    #

Login to Send PM

This is the same problem I've been facing.
    Ive gone through treatment, DIY, bed is encased & and even have done steaming and what not on bed and then the next morning I'm still bit.
    I've checked everywhere around the bed and still cant find em, its bugs me very hard, but I've found 1 or 2 before and that was about it.
    I've also never found fecal matter or anything to even the slightest black marks.

These guys are probably the best ninjas known to mankind.

52. qrpats

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 3 2012 3:20:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been having this same issue, I have bite marks and feel like there is something crawling on my skin, but I don't see anything there when I look, even if I am looking at the exact spot I feel the bite. This site seems to have the most sufferers, but I can't seem to find the answer, although I read every post. Anyway, I started getting this feeling back in early April, even finding bite marks on me, but I never found any sign of anything. I even had an exterminator come in and look for something and he found no sign of anything. I have a room mate, and he has had no issues at all. I am so unhappy right now, and the issues only seem to happen at night Also, I just out of my place for a week, and while I was gone I was mostly fine, which makes me think something is going on in my apartment in my room.
    Anyone have any advice?

53. sleeplessinsocal

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 3 2012 13:24:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, sounds like my situation. Only get bit at home. Only at night, very itchy. No one else in the home has any issue. Get bit mostly on on arms, sometimes ankles. Use repelent dont get bit. Searched high and low for the culprit, nothing. No bed bugs, no fleas, no ticks, nothing!

54. sleeplessinsocal

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 4 2012 11:57:36
    #

Login to Send PM

If repelent keeps "them" away, its got to be here some where!

55. Bwade19

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 4 2012 13:13:59
    #

Login to Send PM

qrpats - 1 day ago  » 
    I have been having this same issue, I have bite marks and feel like there is something crawling on my skin, but I don't see anything there when I look, even if I am looking at the exact spot I feel the bite. This site seems to have the most sufferers, but I can't seem to find the answer, although I read every post. Anyway, I started getting this feeling back in early April, even finding bite marks on me, but I never found any sign of anything. I even had an exterminator come in and look for something and he found no sign of anything. I have a room mate, and he has had no issues at all. I am so unhappy right now, and the issues only seem to happen at night Also, I just out of my place for a week, and while I was gone I was mostly fine, which makes me think something is going on in my apartment in my room.
    Anyone have any advice?

You & me have the exactly the same problem. I've had treatments but I'm still bit nightly. Despite having everything washed in hot water & dryed, it still feels like things are crawling on me. Of course when I check there's nothing there. Spent a weekend away and it was magical. No bites & much less of that iching feeling. Making me believe my room is still infected

56. Abugtoofar

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 9 2012 1:09:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I guess I was over confident. When I changed my mattress and bed I also washed all my bedding at the same time then made the bed. So I wait a couple of nights and can't tell if I've got old bites acting up or new bites. Anyway I went away for three days which was enough time for my bites to all calm down and leave me itch free. I get back and again paying attention to not putting anything on the bed or giving anything a chance to get on the bed I take a shower and hit the sac. Well they must have been missing me as much as I was missing them, the expression feeding time at the zoo springs to mind. I woke up with about fifteen bites.
    So what's gone on here? Either they got from the bed box to the new mattress through the cover before I changed the bed box, or they were in the bedding and the wash and dryer weren't hot enough? Is that possible that they survived the wash? Anyone know?
    Well next step was them bed bug proof covers for the mattress and bed box and a new set of bedding. I've got some glue boards wrapped round the bed legs as well. Confident again.
    Anyway the washer I've been using is one of those old top loader style ones but even if the wash isn't that hot the dryer should do the business right, anyone care to comment?
    I'll let you know how it goes.

57. clarrus

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 13 2012 12:48:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello guys,

58. clarrus

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 13 2012 12:50:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello guys,
    I am new to the club as well. I live in San Fran, Cali. I think one of the problems is that there are alot of dogs in the apartment and they are all carriers of potential suspects. I would like to post pics up here to see if anyone can identify them. I will get the pics up as soon as I can.

59. kay bitten

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 21 2012 13:43:22
    #

Login to Send PM

okay well im notthe one being bitten, but its een going on for a month at least, my daughter and i took out all the bedding and searched her matress two weeks ago. nothing was found. washed all the bedding but did not use it. put all clean sheats and blankets on. a few days maybe a week wnr by, no bites. well they started again she got another bit on the top part of her foot. its pretty swolen and warm to the touch hurts her to walk. all the bits she has gootn have swelled up and get large and are warm/hot tot the touch. but one the other day looks like a blister... any suggestions. oh and no one else is getting bitten..

60. brooklyn_bites

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 21 2012 23:23:35
    #

Login to Send PM

61. itchyandupset

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 28 2012 21:56:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone, I am here with high hopes that my problem will soon be gone. I went over to a friend's house for dinner a week and a half ago and woke up the next day with 2 big bites on my arm and 5 smaller ones. I found what appeared to be two dead fleas on me. The next night I woke up with even more bites, so I decided I would search the bed....all over the bed in fear of maybe not having fleas, but bed bugs. I teach in the inner city and am so fearful that I might bring some of the buggers home. I found nothing. I have searched every night only to find nothing, but am still being bitten. I've noticed that I am not necessarily in bed when being bitten either. I've begun vacuuming every day and cleaning like a fiend. I am starting to drive my husband mad because I am becoming a bit of a nut case at night since I notice more and more bites each day. He decided we would buy a new mattress and encase it and we will encase the box spring as well. I am praying that after this, I will not have anymore problems. I am hoping that a positive update will be on here soon, saying that I have no more bites and it was just a fluke thing. We also bought an encasement for my little one who sleeps in a crib even though he is not being bitten by anything. I might mention that my husband is not being bitten either. I am also going to see my doctor tomorrow to inquire about these bites.

I must say this website has made me feel a bit at ease knowing that other people are wondering about and going through the same thing. I am so happy for those of you who found the answer to your question. I am now on the search for mine.

62. maybebugfree

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 18 2012 10:27:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Late May I noticed what looked like a dark oval patch in the fold between my right inner thigh and groin. I had recently started to exercise more, and discarded that as jock itch and began self-medicating with an OTC jock itch cream. It helped the itch and the patch started to decrease in size. Ever since the patch started, it was dry, a bit scaly, darker than my natural complexion, and it would grow downward towards my groin.

About a week after that, I started to wake up with itchy spots on the left side of my abdomen, right where there is a natural crease. I though it was just dry skin, and I would remind myself to apply lotion after showering. The itch didn't bother as much, until I got another itchy spot below the crease. That one was more pink and a little more raised. I noticed these itchy spots were oval in shape. Soon after that, I would see more itchy spots each morning. They were mostly on my left side, around my natural crease when I sit down, and then I would find them on my right side as well. Once I started to see them on my breasts I went nuts. The itch was getting worse, especially at night and after exercising/showering.

I found this forum and itchy me was glad to find out that I wasn't the only one going crazy over something unknown. That night, I slept covered from neck to toe. Next morning, I couldn't find any new spots, so I flipped over my mattress, inspected it, my box spring, and headboard. Nothing. Like AndroidKills put it, since these are probably the best ninjas in the world, I started to look up exterminators. Then I had the thought to look up nearby dermatologists instead. I made an appointment on the earliest date available. By this time, I had itchy spots on my abdomen, still mostly on my left side, my breasts, underarms, 1 on my left hip, and 1 right above my pubic hairline on my right side.

On 6/13, I anxiously waited in the dermatologists' waiting room. Once in, I explained everything I wrote above, and she began to examine me. At first she also discarded the dry scaly patch as jock itch, but after looking at the itchier spots, she had a eureka moment. The self-diagnosed jock itch was actually the herald patch (or "mother" patch), and she diagnosed me with pityriasis rosea. She was 100% sure that I didn't have scabies or a bedbug problem. Pityriasis rosea has a distinctive "christmas tree" pattern that she could see and pointed out. She said it's commonly mistaken with ringworm, rosacea, and a few other skin conditions. Cause is still unknown, it's not contagious, and the very first symptom is a cold-like symptom, which could be a seemingly innocent headache, sneeze, etc., exhibited a week or two before the herald patch. I was prescribed an rx-only topical steroid cream for the itching, she advised that I decrease the intensity of my workouts for the time being (when she said that I thought guess I'll try yoga), and to take lukewarm showers instead of my regular hot showers (heat and humidity can make this temporarily worse - lucky me, I live in South Florida.) Prognosis is excellent as this usually goes away by itself, although you'll have to be patient as it can take anywhere from several weeks to several months to disappear. Some darker-skinned people may get long-lasting brown spots that eventually fade. If any of this sounds familiar to you, please research more about pityriasis rosea.

Even though it turns out that I don't have a BB problem or bug problem in general, I still wanted to post this here because this thread has helped me calm my nerves when this unknown thing first came up, and hopefully my post might help anyone else in the future who finds this thread. I still have the itchy spots, although in new places, but none are nearly as itchy as when they first appeared which I'm fairly certain is due to that cream and trying my best to avoid heat and humidity. Still have the herald patch as well, but that too has decreased significantly in size. Thankfully, research shows that this appears to only occur once in a lifetime.

63. Frustrated13

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2012 11:33:12
    #

Login to Send PM

So I wanted to bring back this thread and ask if anyone suffering from bites is getting only red spots but the spots are not raised, no welts, and no specific itching to the spot? I know I know, everyone reacts differently to bites, I am just so hoping to rule out BB.

Like everyone I have zero evidence (stains, fecal spots, bugs or skin casings) and my bed is isolated, mattress/box spring enclosed in nylon casings, as well as the crawl up trays and early detection traps. Still NO sign of them!!! frustrated to say the least.

64. CDE

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2012 15:14:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Last October I started having itchy, red, raised bumps which looked like some kind of insect bite. At the very centre was what looked like a small blister. These welts kept appearing on my hands, neck, arms, face, legs, over the next few months and it would take about 2 weeks for them to fade away. A few of them actually turned into larger blisters.

I did a massive search of the bed and surrounding area for bed bugs, but didn't find any. Then I had an exterminator with a sniffer dog come in but the dog didn’t alert to anything in my apartment. Also went to see a dermatologist, but got no definite diagnosis.

While continuing to search for bed bugs, I found some carpet beetle larva. One exterminator I talked to said that carpet beetles don’t bite but that the larva hairs can cause irritation in some people – that’s when I started to think this might be my problem and began searching out reactions to carpet beetle larva hairs on the internet.
    I’d also been noticing my red itchy bumps seemed to happen right after I’d been at my computer. And it was almost like when I’d been typing on the computer and then afterwards touched my neck, arm or face, a red welt would appear. So I tried wearing gloves when I was at the computer and voila, no more red bumps! But when I discarded the gloves, I started having those welts again.

I’d been vacuuming around the computer but decided it was time to do an intensive examination of the carpet all around there. Kudos to my boyfriend who was a big help in searching and finding some carpet beetle larva near the wall that the vacuum had missed.

My theory is that it has something to do with the static electricity from the computer screen and possibly the carpet. Any tiny larva hairs stirred up into the air would be drawn towards the screen and end up on the desk and keyboard. Then when I was using the computer, my fingertips would pick up the hairs and being stiffer than usual due to the static, the hairs would actually stick into me and cause an irritation when I touched my skin.

My static electricity theory could be right or wrong but all I know for sure is once I got rid of all the carpet beetle larva I’m not getting those red itchy bumps anymore!

65. DreDay17

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2012 23:02:04
    #

Login to Send PM

You can never say that you've been "bitten" unless you have proof of a "bite" occurring

Though in any case you are having a serious of bump would could be delayed reactions to pretty much anything. You can get "bumps" from a piece of hair rubbing up against your skin. If you have inspected and see no signs then don't stress yourself over the fact that it "could" be a bug bite.

66. helpwithbites

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2012 1:31:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I have just joined your club :(. 3 weeks a go one bite now i cant stop them. No signs of bugs anywhere. Will moving help. Exterminator came 3x. I threw away almost everything i own.

67. ewwgrossdude

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 30 2012 15:31:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I have bites on my hand one on my chest atleast 40 or more around my ankles and calf's and its driving me crazy we steam cleaned the house washed all the clothes and blankets checked for bed bugs checked me, AND IM THE ONLY ONE OF 8 in the house being bit!!! please someone help me, i ich them in my sleep till they bleed i HARDLY sleep altogether. I cant wear most of my clothing b/c im embarrassed of the gross bites, scratches and scabbs. Im miserable, Ive resorted to noever going outside and i still get them, i never see what bites me though. i went outside and took out the trash really fast got back in the house and had 20 new bites. I have a phobia of small cluttered things such as bitch, bugs dots. it sounds funny but i'm in a very emotional state. ive tried clear nail polish, alcohol, detergent strips, benadryl, calamine ice not itching and nothing helps not even itching . IM GOING CRAZY PLEASE RESPOND.
    via-email: Maile.souza@yahoo.com

68. ewwgrossdude

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 30 2012 15:32:41
    #

Login to Send PM

BITES** not bitch sorry

69. schume

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 3 2012 20:14:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Frustrated13 - 2 months ago  » 
    So I wanted to bring back this thread and ask if anyone suffering from bites is getting only red spots but the spots are not raised, no welts, and no specific itching to the spot? I know I know, everyone reacts differently to bites, I am just so hoping to rule out BB.
    Like everyone I have zero evidence (stains, fecal spots, bugs or skin casings) and my bed is isolated, mattress/box spring enclosed in nylon casings, as well as the crawl up trays and early detection traps. Still NO sign of them!!! frustrated to say the least.

YES!!! This is exactly my problem! Every day I find one or two. Sometimes they seem to appear and disappear within a few hours. They don't itch, they don't make sense. I go to bed with exposed arms, face, neck and feet, yet I find these bites on my torso, under my clothes. I was attacked by bed bugs at a hotel several months ago. My left ankle/calf and the outsides of my hands were eaten up. The itching was intense and the spots, though faded, are still visible.

I've been freaking out, thinking I brought some BBs home with me, but these new "bites" don't bother me at all and seem to disappear like they never happened. I can't imagine a BB walking across juicy, tasty, exposed skin to bite me way down under my shirt. Also, I have checked everything possible and do not see one bit of evidence that a BB is here. I know they hide well, so the possibility is still there, but the bites are just really different. I think my wife is ready to have me committed... this is driving me insane

70. bettyel

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Oct 22 2012 15:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know if a carpet beetle larvae allergy produces bites of 3 or 4 in a line like bedbug bites do?
    Also, if wearing turtleneck and waterproof tights with socks pulled over them will bedbugs crawl down neck to lower back to bite?

71. Koebner

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Oct 22 2012 16:37:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs don't bite in rows of 3. It's a myth bolstered by confirmation bias. Carpet beetle larvae hairs can hit anywhere in any number & one can discern any pattern one likes.

BBs don't like to crawl under tight-fitting clothes but wearing that lot in bed will make you static-y & thus more likely to attract carpet beetle larvae hairs & will make you sweaty & thus likely to develop rashes.

72. CDE

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Nov 25 2012 4:06:15
    #

Login to Send PM

bettyel - 1 month ago  » 
    Does anyone know if a carpet beetle larvae allergy produces bites of 3 or 4 in a line like bedbug bites do?
    Also, if wearing turtleneck and waterproof tights with socks pulled over them will bedbugs crawl down neck to lower back to bite?

It's possible carpet beetle larvae hair reactions can show up as several red bumps in a line or a group or just as one single bump, that was my experience.

In my case I seemed to be picking up the hairs on my fingertips while I was AT THE COMPUTER. I started noticing that the red welts would appear after I was using the computer, then touched my skin. See my post above.

Take note of anything you've been doing before you noticed the red bumps appearing in case your situation is similar. If welts appeared on your lower back, any chance you happened to scratch your lower back and might have had tiny larvae hairs on your fingers at that time?

73. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Nov 25 2012 6:37:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes carpet beetle reactions can appears in clusters or lines but they are not contact based.

You can rub carpet beetle larval skins against people and get no reaction as the issue only occurs when the hairs become attracted to you by static and effectively leave a small hole in the surface of the skin which is what your body reacts to.

The simple solution is to remove shoes and socks to neutralise the static differential until the hairs can be removed from the area.

David

74. CDE

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Nov 25 2012 15:42:44
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 8 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Yes carpet beetle reactions can appears in clusters or lines but they are not contact based.
    You can rub carpet beetle larval skins against people and get no reaction as the issue only occurs when the hairs become attracted to you by static and effectively leave a small hole in the surface of the skin which is what your body reacts to.
    The simple solution is to remove shoes and socks to neutralise the static differential until the hairs can be removed from the area.
    David

I can only speak from my own experience but I suspect static around the computer was the cause of some larvae hairs becoming “charged” and they would stick to my fingers when I was using the keyboard or touching things on the desk . Then if I rubbed or touched my skin, the stiff hairs would jab into the skin, causing a reaction.

I can understand that normally it wouldn’t be contact based but I think perhaps it became a factor in this particular situation. And it would explain why areas that might be covered may get a reaction, like if I happened to rub my shoulder.

Definitely something to think about anyway. Good idea about removing shoes and socks to neutralize carpet static.

75. winter213

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Dec 8 2012 13:08:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm both relieved and further frustrated reading this thread! Especially since many of you have not figured out the causes. I started to get bitten mid-October of this year. It started with the classic brkfst, lunch, dinner on my forearm. My sister had bb's so I knew what to look for and so began the endless pulling apart of my bed and other nearby furniture in search of any signs. I have white bedding and no carpeting or headboard and my apartment is sparsely furnished, so looking is easy. No signs found.

Since that date I have been continually bitten. The bites are getting worse- sometimes entire clusters, like along my shoulder. Last week I had splotches along my bellybutton and my entire right side was covered in scattered marks. How can I post pics to show you guys?

I brought the K9 in- no bb's. I thought maybe fleas, as I have a dog- she's been checked twice, nada. Went to dermatologist who told me it was hives, but my boyfriend was just over last weekend and has bites (one set of which is a three in a row!). I found A carpet beetle once (despite having hardwood floors) and read that many of you are finding the carpet beetles as the cause.

Another thing is that I seem to get "bitten" when I'm on my couch and the "bites" appear when I'm awake, not having been there before, though usually in the evenings.

I brought in an exterminator yesterday through my landlord, but frankly he was useless and kept trying to convince me it was a rash despite my pleading that my bfriend has the same bites. He fogged my apt and so I'm not sure if problem with persist, but the detective in me still needs to know what could be causing this!!!

Thoughts????

76. Paola

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jan 7 2013 13:32:38
    #

Login to Send PM

HELP!!! I'm in Brooklyn, NY, and bed bugs are pretty common, so naturally I assumed I had them, but now I have no idea what I am dealing with!

I started noticing bites a couple of weeks ago. They are on my shoulders, arms, neck, and even my fingers. My boyfriend hasn't gotten a single bite. I am now seeing a few every morning. We have had the mattress checked all over and found zero evidence. Last night I put a quality encasement on the mattress, and I washed all the sheets and dried them on high heat. But I was woken up yet again around 4am (always the same time) from the itch. I noticed several hives starting to form on my shoulder and elbow. I turned on the light to look for the culprit, but nothing. Everyone acts as if I'm making this up, as if it's somehow my own doing. I am so frustrated!

But I have red itchy blotches, and they didn't come from no where. They last for about a week, and feel like mosquito bites, only smaller. And no matter what I do, I keep seeing/feeling them. They're driving me crazy! What can I do?!

77. vgoodw1

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 21 2013 1:17:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all, I just wanted to chime in and reiterate something that I think has been mentioned here before. Many people in this forum are describing symptoms of scabies. If you are getting random "bites", in particular around the wrists/fingers and ankles, but a number of other areas as well, it's a pretty classic sign. I had this a while back, and it took me about 2 months to figure out what it probably was.

Scabies is very easy to cure, but you have to go to your primary care physician to verify and get a prescribed topical cream. The treatment will also involve you washing all of your clothes/linens. One treatment of a topical cream is usually effective. But you will need to get a prescription for this, and scabies will not go away untreated. You'll likely still experience symptoms for a few weeks after the treatment, as it takes a while for the allergic reaction (aka the "bites") to go away, but it does go away. I did this, and it works.

I hope this helps some people!

78. Jade

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 6 2013 2:58:43
    #

Login to Send PM

So I've been getting a lot of bug bites for a while I don't know exactly when they started but approximately since October. I narrowed it down to bed bugs because the bites often come in clusters of 3 more or less. At first i was only getting a few here and there overnight but now i get them all the time no matter where I am or what time it is. I constantly have about 10 or more bites on my body specially on my arms, hands and neck. Occasionally I'll get 2 or 3 of them on my stomach and back and a few more on my legs. I cannot be on my bed without constantly scratching myself because i feel them crawling on me but i never see them!!! I always try to catch them when I start to feel them and then I think I'm just paranoid because there is nothing there but a few minutes or hours later I'll see the small red bumps!!!! in the beginning they would last for a while now sometimes they go away in just a few days. I don't know what to do anymore, no one else in my house is getting them and I share a room with my sister! she can even sit on my bed and get no bites while as soon as i get close to it ill magically start seeing the bites!!!! I never called an exterminator but I did buy some insecticides for bed bugs, fleas ticks and all those creepy crawlies at the store. Each can is supposed to be good enough for a house and we live in apartments!! I've already set off two in my room at different times and it didn't do anything, I've tried keeping my sheets clean washing them as often as possible and I always look around before i go to bed and I cannot find anything. I did actually catch a bug once, i was waking up and i felt the little crawler on my shoulder so i slowly reached for it and it was a small dark brown bug, it looked like what i think is a bed bug but I wasn't sure, that was the only time i saw one though. About 3 days ago i was again just waking up when i see a tiny barely visible round red bug crawling close to my pillow and i crushed it immediately but then I lost it when I got up to take a good look at it. I'm really worried about getting sick from this, I sometimes have to sleep in the couch because i get so disgusted by the thought of them crawling on me but now its useless because i get bitten no matter where I am. Someone help me please!

79. ratmitekiller

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jun 21 2013 18:36:31
    #

Login to Send PM

OK- so, invisible bugs that bite you all day and not so much at night? Seem to be in your clothes but can't find them? I finally tracked one down! I sat, naked, for whay seemed like an eternity, watching, waiting, and then- you little bastard! I caught one!
    Borrowed a microscope from a friend and got a real close look at this little terror- it's a Tropical Rat Mite!
    I saw 3 rats on my back porch a few days ago, so this made perfect sense to me. It may not make perfect sense to you if you don't think you have rats, but an empty nest will house these little buggers until you show up to give them something to eat! Even if you don't know the nest is there... even a bird's nest...
    So, I removed all reminants of the rats I saw, plugged their cute little holes, and doused the shit out of the area with gasoline- NO! WAIT! That's what I wanted to do, but instead I used "Wondercide Biodefense." Found it under the sink from last year when we had fleas... Came originally from Bark N Purr, my local pet store- you can probably find it online. It's basically cedar oil. Smells like you planted a cedar forest in your living room! This stuff kills fleas and says it kills mites, so I shot it all over the place.
    THEN, I opened my essential oils bible and found that rats and mice hate peppermint! So, back to the scene of the crime with some peppermint essential oil, diluted in water, in a spray bottle (the Wondercide bottle I emptied on the first round) and proceeded to spray that everywhere- I even got up to spray it on the roof to keep the tree rats from deciding to come by. During my sprayfest I accidentally spilled some on my arm- just by chance there was a bite there! The cool burning of the peppermint oil stopped the itch!!!
    I live in Texas- it's hot here- I usually shower with Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap in the summer to help cool off. I tell you that so you know that I am used to the cool burning of the peppermint oil. It burns on sensitive skin- but it's a really cold burn- which I happen to enjoy!
    I decided to wash my clothes (even the "clean" ones) in Dr. Bronner's and thought, that should do it. Then the cool burn of the spilled oil started to fade away from my arm. THE LIGHTBULB! I went back and got the spray bottle- dropped my drawers and sprayed my whole self down! It burned on my bites that I had scratched open, but not enough for me to freak out. I stood in front of the fan for an extra shot of cool breeze and my bites have not itched since- nor have I gotten another bite! I will keep you posted about the laundry I washed in hot water with peppermint soap. I will, also, let you know if I see another rat!
    Right now, I feel at peace for the first time all week!

80. Dazzlegirl

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 16 2013 2:00:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so glad i found this forum. I started getting bit by invisible things about 2 weeks ago. it all started with having fleas that my cats must have gotten from catching a mouse. the flea problem lasted about 2 weeks while i washed and sanitized the house, bedding, carpet and cats. After getting about 30 flea bites it finally stopped and i thought it was over.

but then i started getting bites that didn't leave any marks at all, which is weird cuz i'm really allergic to flea bites and they get pusy and infected.

it only happens in the evening. during the day at work i'm fine. and in the mornings while i get ready for work i'm fine. it's just in the evenings when it starts and gets worse around 10 pm. and when i go to bed its not much better. between the couch and the bed is where it happens the most, even though in the morning on the couch i'm fine. or if i take a nap on the bed after work i'm fine too.

i am starting to freak out about this. i've taken to sitting naked in really bright light to see what is biting me. the second i feel a bit i look in the spot and there IS NOTHING THERE. i've seen all the different theories and it seems there are people experiencing a lot of different types of bites here. i wish i could see something, anything, then i might be able to figure out what it is and how to stop it. but there are no marks or tiny bugs.

taking a hot shower doesn't help. i start feeling the bites as soon as i dry off (but not while in the shower). i've been spraying down the bed, couch, and carpet, several times a week; and washing sheets and clothes almost daily. nothing is helping.

i found an interesting article that gave me a bit of hope, but i sort of think it's not what is causing it because i don't have any mold (that i know of. the website said it could mold spores.) but why would it start only after the flea bites. for those of you who might be having mold problems the article is at http://invisiblebitingbugscure.blogspot.com.

Has anyone had this happen to them after an infestation of fleas? my next step is to take my cats to the vet to see if they have mites, even though i've treated them with Heart Tick and Flea.

i am selling my house at the end of august and moving in with a friend for a month before moving out of state. i also want to visit my brother for a couple of weeks. but all of this is making me feel like a leper who should go into seclusion instead.

part of me is hoping its all in my head because this happened to me once before the first time i went to college. I was itching and feeling bitten all the time. i cleaned and sprayed and bathed to no end. i went to the college clinic and they tested my skin and said they couldn't find anything. the doctor told me to see the college therapist, so i did. the first session i went to her and started talking about all the stress of being in college and being away from home the first time and how lonely i was. she told me that type of stress and anxiety can cause physical systems like i was experiencing. that very day the itching and biting stopped.

so i'm hoping it's just stress: i'm leaving my job of 13 years, moving to another state where i don't know anyone, i don't have a job lined up, and i'm on the verge of selling my house. it's the most stress i've been under in decades. (i'm not saying that everybody else's conditions are in their head. i'm just saying that it happened to me once before and so i know the mind is that powerful.)

I'm glad I found this place. Just writing this is making me feel less crazy and stressed out.

81. Finleyfoo1

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 16 2013 14:28:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope this thread is still alive because I am in your club as well unfortunately. Mystery bites but no evidence of bed bugs or fleas. It started about 6 weeks ago out of no where. And it is not just me, every member of my family who lives in the house has the same thing. Some nights there are mutliple bites. Some nights no bites. Some nights a few bites. I put up a victor flea trap (we have two dogs who are treated) and it caught nothing. We had a pest guy come out and he sprayed for bed bugs twice (but found no real evidence). I know they are stealthy buggers but I have carefully inspected the bedrooms and all parts of the beds and find nothing! I just don't know what is causing this.

82. Dazzlegirl

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 17 2013 1:15:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Finleyfoo1 - 10 hours ago  » 
    I hope this thread is still alive because I am in your club as well unfortunately. Mystery bites but no evidence of bed bugs or fleas. It started about 6 weeks ago out of no where. And it is not just me, every member of my family who lives in the house has the same thing. Some nights there are mutliple bites. Some nights no bites. Some nights a few bites.

hello, are you actually seeing bite marks? if so then its probably easier to solve then what i am dealing with, which is no bites at all, which probably mean i have mites. from what i've been reading mites are really hard to get rid of. Bed bugs and fleas are easier to get rid of, once you figure out which one it is.

83. Dazzlegirl

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 17 2013 12:51:29
    #

Login to Send PM

After reading about the invisible bug biting situation (I assume I have mites) and hearing about how Windex can help, i decided to give it a try.

Yesterday I sprayed down my couch 4 times, just lightly, over a 2 hour period. I hardly got any bites at all (maybe 10 total over a 3 hour period). that is way down from the previous night when i was getting bitten about every 30 seconds.

i also used it on my bed. i sprayed it down the same amount that i did my couch. i put fresh bedding (fresh from a really hot wash and an hour long dry on high heat), and had taken a shower using listerine to spray myself down. I climbed into bed and didn't feel any bites during the hour that i was reading in bed. (I also started putting 1/2 cup of Borax (found at Target) in with each wash load.)

then I woke up in the middle of the night and was getting bitten all over (I think my cats are reinfesting the bed). so I got up and sprayed the bed down (with the sheets still on) and sprayed the top sheet too. i waited about 5 minutes for the dampness to dry out and climbed back into bed. NO BITES at all, and i was able to fall asleep right away.

I don't know how bad it is to spray down sheets with Windex and then immediately sleep on them - i will have to look into it - but it sure was a nice short-term measure so i could fall back asleep.

Today i'm going out to buy 8 bottles of Windex. (I used up one just spraying down the bed, couch, and carpet in the bedroom (for the 4 times that I sprayed over the 2 hour period.)

and now that i have a short term remedy for not getting eaten alive while on the couch or bed, i am working on a plan to get rid of them. I just ordered Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, to put on my cats and in their food. that should help eliminate the cats re-infesting the furniture. I also just ordered some Kleen Free Naturally. (If you do this make sure it's FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth. The non-food grade, is poisonous to cats.)

I am getting lots of good information from this forum and a couple of other places that i've found online, and listed below.

A squiddo lens at:
    http://www.squidoo.com/invisible-bugs

And an amazon review on Kleen Free at:
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R3LFJZ1897Y4RJ/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000HKKCUQ&nodeID=3760901&store=hpc

84. Finleyfoo1

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Aug 18 2013 13:15:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. There are actual bites. Raised welts that when die down look a bit like pimples. Multiple ones.

85. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Aug 18 2013 14:32:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Finleyfoo1 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Yes. There are actual bites. Raised welts that when die down look a bit like pimples. Multiple ones.

You are calling them bites, but that doesn't make them so. They are just marks on your skin, which could be caused by any number of things, insects only being one of them.

86. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Aug 18 2013 14:58:12
    #

Login to Send PM

rs1971 is correct that lots of problems could cause itching and skin reactions of this kind -- insect-related or not insect-related. This thread describes some of them which are worth exploring.

Dazzlegirl - 1 day ago  » 
    After reading about the invisible bug biting situation (I assume I have mites) and hearing about how Windex can help, i decided to give it a try.

If you have some species of biting mites (bird mites, rat mites, etc.), they aren't really invisible, just small, and can be treated and eliminated. You really need to try and collect samples for ID so you can have the problem treated. Someone should inspect for dead birds, rodents, or nests of same. Entomologists here have also talked about leaving sticky traps around to try and nab mites. Bird mites might be caught by sticky traps on a windowsill, for example.

A lot of the websites about this "problem" are not fact-based and some contain dangerous suggestions.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  87. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Aug 18 2013 16:29:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I also get skin reactions that look exactly like bites, very similar to what you have Finley, and I no longer have bed bugs.

I posted a longer thing about it in the other mystery bite thread
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/not-bed-bugs-mystery-bites-solved

I'm not sure putting DE right on the cat is a good idea, it could get in their eyes, it could get in their lungs. You may harm them.

DE is meant to be put down so it's not disturbed and it takes a really long time to work, bugs have to slowly walk on it.

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  88. Dazzlegirl

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 19 2013 22:18:41
    #

Login to Send PM

endless_nightmare - 1 day ago  » 
    I also get skin reactions that look exactly like bites, very similar to what you have Finley, and I no longer have bed bugs.
    I'm not sure putting DE right on the cat is a good idea, it could get in their eyes, it could get in their lungs. You may harm them.
    DE is meant to be put down so it's not disturbed and it takes a really long time to work, bugs have to slowly walk on it.

Everything i've read about FOOD GRADE DE says its safe for animals and humans. the non-food grade is dangerous and can be harmful. so I made sure i got the food grade DE which is safe to put on cats, even put in their food. and humans are even taking a spoonful of it a day to help with digestion and other problems. look on the website and ou will find all kinds of info on the benefits of food-grade DE: http://www.earthworkshealth.com

89. Dazzlegirl

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 19 2013 22:38:54
    #

Login to Send PM

endless_nightmare - 1 day ago  » 

I just posted a reply to this but it didn't show up so I'm reposting again. FOOD GRADE DE is safe for animals and humans. It can be put in their food to fight worms, and on their fur to fight fleas and mites. Humans can also take a couple teaspoons a day to help with digestion and other ailments. if the non-food grade DE that you need to be concerned about.

If you have some species of biting mites (bird mites, rat mites, etc.), they aren't really invisible, just small, and can be treated and eliminated.

i've been trying to find the insects but i can't see anything. i'm not sure how anyone can see something that is almost microscopic. i don't think its bird mites because those can be seen with the naked eye. and there are microscopic ones, see:http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcmites.htm for a list of the types of mites and their size, etc.

i just got a shipment of foodgrade DE which i've dusted my whole house with. and i also got some Kleen which I plan to take a bath in since its supposed to help with removing the mites. i am much more hopeful today then i was yesterday.

90. Dazzlegirl

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 19 2013 22:41:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Finleyfoo1 - 1 day ago  » 

than again, they might be bites (in response to another post). i found a good list of mites and their side effects here:
    http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcmites.htm

best of luck to you in figuring out what it is that you have.

91. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 19 2013 23:31:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Dazzlegirl - 1 hour ago  » 
    Everything i've read about FOOD GRADE DE says its safe for animals and humans. the non-food grade is dangerous and can be harmful. so I made sure i got the food grade DE which is safe to put on cats, even put in their food. and humans are even taking a spoonful of it a day to help with digestion and other problems. look on the website and ou will find all kinds of info on the benefits of food-grade DE: ...earthworkshealth.com

Food grade DE can be used safely or unsafely. It can be used effectively or ineffectively. Many people overapply or misapply the product which we understand can lead to respiratory or skin problems.

Please read our FAQ on DE which cites sources for our information, in many cases experts.

Note the source you cite (Earthworks) has a disclaimer:

"REQUIRED FDA DISCLAIMER: Content on this site is for reference purposes only, based on reviews from users of food grade diatomaceous earth. "

That all the information comes from user reviews is not always a good sign.

92. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Aug 20 2013 0:35:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I know the difference between the two DE, and I have been using it for years, and it seems that you have just discovered it, if you check the FAQ on this site here, rather than a vendor, you'll see that it's not that safe...

If you breath too much food grade DE you will damage your lungs, many people wear mask when applying it, you should also understand the process by which it works, it has to sit there undisturbed for awhile, then perhaps the bug will cross over it, if it is a very thin layer, so very slowly, weeks, months and it does it's thing, it's not instantaneous

So putting it on cats who move and scratch themselves is entirely pointless, while they may eat it with no side effects they have small lungs too

The DE is made of very sharp particle that CUTS the bugs or their outer shell, there is no way in hell that DE ending up in ones eyes would be an good thing or an OK thing, it would be a very bad thing

Be it Mother Earth brand, or any type of brand

I bet if the cats could talk they would say to you "stay the hell away from me with that" put it on the floor all you want but don't but it on me pleazzzzzze" I'm certain actually that they would say exactly that

93. laluzw

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Feb 7 2014 15:34:26
    #

Login to Send PM

This forum has been very helpful. I started to itch a few months ago, but I have dealt with bed bugs in the past, and I know how and where to to search for them. I have found no signs. My roommate's bed is a couple feet from mine, and she has no bites. I tried sleeping on the living room couch to get away from them, and no luck.
    I earlier this week I had settled on the theory of dust mites, but after several days of spraying mite killing oils and sleeping away from my old mattress, linens, pillows, and carpets, I am still getting more bumps. My boyfriend has developed itching as well and it has continued over the last week, even though he hasn't slept over in 2 weeks.
    After reading through all of your experiences, I am starting to think that scabies might be the culprit. As I do experience the stray "bite," most of my itching manifests around my hands and sometimes feet, mostly along crevices or creases in my skin. I currently have 3 bumps on each wrist. I am not ruling out mites, but since my boyfriend has been suffering identical symptoms, and scabies is transmitted through contact, scabies makes the most sense. I currently don't have health insurance, but he is going in to the doctor next week. I will also be checking around for signs or carpet beetles in the meantime.

Thank you for all of your posts, this as by far been the best resource in addressing the problem.

94. laluzw

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Feb 7 2014 15:35:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hopefully some of you are still active, I would love to have some insight!

95. ProblemedGuy

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Apr 7 2014 21:10:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm a teenage lad who has also been getting bites; for about half a year, I have checked and checked but can't find any bed bugs. These bites and whatever is causing them is one of the main things that has led to my depression, and worsened my OCD. I've had bites on my fingers, hands, arms, legs, shoulders, chest, back, basically everywhere... and I just don't know what to do anymore. I've been to my doctor but he seemed clueless also. It's annoying because half of the bites don't even itch but some do... I don't want to sound like a 'wuss' but honestly, I've cried myself to sleep over the thought of bugs being there, I sort of want to find one just to prove they're there but I can't find any. The bites appear at different moments in time though, and sometimes I don't realise they're there till later on, I've realised a few while I've been at College and don't know if I've just got them or they've been there longer... I have questioned if it was carpet bugs after I found one beetle, but the carpets have been pulled up and I have checked through all places in my room and nothing. I have also questioned Scabies due to the fact of the 'appearing' while not sitting/lying down, but aren't scabies meant to leave a scabby region? But all of my bites are red raised bumps. I know this forum was mainly in flow a few years ago, but any insight and help would be greatly appreciated...

96. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Apr 8 2014 2:04:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi ProblemedGuy,

I wish I had a quick instant cure for this issue of yours, but unfortunately there isn't really a fast one.

I know how having "bite" like skin reaction appear as red bumps and finding no explanation for them can be frustrating

I don't want to sound like a 'wuss' but honestly, I've cried myself to sleep over the thought of bugs being there,

You are not a wuss, this sort of thing would bring anyone to their knees, it triggers extremely bad behavior patterns sometimes, it causes a special type of exhaustion and tiredness, it's extremely hard to handle.

Some people move repeatedly, some throw all their things away, some become bankrupt by spending all their money on PCOs, some become heavily delusional, people start bathing in Listerine, etc etc

I have checked through all places in my room and nothing.

This part of your quote I'm posting is your lifeline, it is actually a way out of this.

Realize that you are not a special isolated case, many, many , many people have the exact type of symptoms that you have, and a plethora of variants of it.

You have simply sensitized yourself to the idea of bugs and bites. This can happen out of nowhere or this can happen after an actual bed bug infestation (where the person keeps reacting but the bugs are gone)

You need to desensitize yourself, you are still able to see that this is not bug related, that is your weapon, that is your tool.

You can use this weapon with a combination of other tools.

If you can afford it, get a good PCO to just do an inspection. Have them write down a report.
    Post it on your fridge near your bed so it's the first thing that you see.

As soon as you feel the smallest inkling to link your itch with an insect of some kind, look at the report, destroy the voice inside of you that is telling you it's bug, get a hold of that lying voice and crush it.

Get a passive monitor (they are quite cheap), verify it add the result of that with the inspection, repeat the same process you need to break that erroneous association that your mind has made.

Add time passing to this, say "it's been two months of this, I've seen no real evidence, the PCO gave me a negative report, my monitor is clear, I DON'T HAVE BUGS"

Don't read about bed bugs, don't talk about them, do not adjust anything in your life because of any bugs.

Once you have re-trained your mind to do that, I promise, I swear to you, your skin eruption will be gone.

The inner thoughts of the anxious mind is potent, it's a devil

It is the same devil that shows the anorexic girl a mirror telling her she is fat.....

The anorexic girl is convinced that she is fat, nothing in reality can bring her back until she takes the steps to break the erroneous association

Break the bug related erroneous association and you will be free
    Stress, worry and anxiety causes this

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.