Bites but no sign of bugs. help!

(6 posts)
  1. risal

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun May 28 2017 12:09:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Last Monday my arm started itching mid day. I saw I had some spots that looked like red dots and some more welt like. On my forearm and a couple on my wrist. A few days before I had been in the yard pulling weeds so I brushed it off as something bothering me from that. They itched like crazy for a few days. By Thursday they were pretty much gone. Wednesday night I woke up during the night with another itchy spot. Above my elbow on the other arm. Two areas close together. One looked to have three spots and the other two. Close together Red welts that again itched like mad. Based on pictures they look very much like they could be bed bug bites and everything I look up points to bedbugs. I looked in every part of my bedroom and there is zero sign of bugs. I've researched and know what to look for and there is nothing. My husband sleeps in the same bed and he is spot free. I have three kids and they are spot free. I cleaned our room like mad and checked every nook and cranny and no sign. Put detectors under the bed legs and put out the raid detectors too. Also covered our mattress, box spring and pillows. Nothing in the traps for three nights. Am I overreacting? Could this be them? Also checked the kids beds and all living room furniture and found nothing.

We did find one bug that my husband is extremely confident was a flea. It hoped from the mattress pad as we made the bed. He had a hard time looking at it with a magnify glass because it kept hopping. He got a good look and said flea. Was also hard for him to kill, he hit it and squeezed between his fingers and still didn't die, ended up hopping away. We have a dog who sleeps in our bed. No sign of fleas on her or in the house. My bites are not in the usual flea location and I'm the only one in the house with them.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm going mad.

2. BattleoftheBug

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun May 28 2017 12:54:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know when this began with dogs sleeping in the beds of their owners began, but it hardly seems like a good or necessary thing. The old saying, "When you lie down with dogs, you get fleas," can be taken literally or figuratively. Bed bugs certainly don't hop.

3. risal

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun May 28 2017 13:02:11
    #

Login to Send PM

The dog shows zero sign of fleas. No scratching, no marks, Nothing. Gave her a flea bath and a coller to be safe. But if it were fleas wouldn't she show a sign and would more then just me have been bitten?

4. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun May 28 2017 16:04:23
    #

Login to Send PM

If all you have seen are fleas, then you must assume your bites are flea bites or something that bit you in the yard ( which still could have been a flea). The rest of the family may not react to bites. My friend had to have her house sprayed last year because dog fleas had multiplied in the house and I certainly had a few bites on the ankles after visiting though the dog had a flea collar. It turned out that the fleas get used to a product and the flea products need to be cycled to prevent resistance.

5. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun May 28 2017 18:26:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Risal! I am sorry to hear you're going through this stress. I strongly encourage you to read my (lengthy) story under the thread "Winning the battle! Bedbugs in TO. (1st real exposure)" It's a little ways down in the forum, but on the first page. It is very common for people to have mystery bites, investigate and find a different sort of bug (fleas, carpet beetles, spiders, etc.) treat for THAT bug, and miss the bbs (bed bugs) entirely. This is precisely what happened to me. I have been getting bit since January. Thought it was an allergic reaction because the bites didn't look like what I have experienced traveling overseas, plus I couldn't find ANY signs of bbs. Was in complete denial because of that. Also, my boyfriend stays over frequently and was getting zero signs of hives/bites. After a biopsy of a hive and (3 weeks later) confirmation of "insect bites" I FINALLY found 3 adult fleas. My pets had not been showing signs of fleas, they came from a dog in the building (I have cage animals, they don't get treated monthly/annually for fleas) I began treatment of my animals and apartment for that, without further thought of bbs. 2 days after finding the flea carcasses I found a bedbug nymph! COMPLETELY by chance! I skipped school and was lounging on my bed and happened to entice a 3rd instar nymph to come out in broad daylight. If I wasn't so allergic, I would never have caught it and would still be completely in the dark. That night I found two more nymphs. It is entirely possible to have more than one type of bug at a time, especially during this season. (Bbs become more active in warm weather.) I have had 31 various types of traps set up since May 18th (Interceptors on bed, couch, table and two pet cages, 8 bb detector/traps, double sided tape along my fitted sheet, two sticky traps - sticky traps are generally useless against bbs because they can crawl under them but I did it anyway.) There are no bugs in any traps. I had no blood stains or dead bugs around.
    I see you've done the crucial step of covering your beds. Are they specifically bedbug proof encasements? I found BB proof encasements at Walmart for pretty cheap. Though not "top of the line" it worked. If you haven't already, be sure to add packing tape to secure the zipper-head and block the teeny-tiny hole at the end. Add interceptors after this. If you are able, switch to white bed linens and then add double sided tape to your fitted sheet to trap the stragglers. Try to wear only clean pyjamas in bed so you don't track them in. Don't forget to move your bed away from the wall and remove bed-skirts. Try not to allow bed linens to touch the floor. Check couches and other material-covered furniture as well. (Especially if anyone sleeps on them!)
    Have you been bit since adding the encasements?? Hopefully not!
    It sounds like - if it IS bbs - you have a very low level population, which is much easier to manage at this stage. Just take precautions now! Since doing this, I have not had a bite in over 10 days. I can sleep easy and the paranoia/anxiety/insomnia is starting to fade (although the memory of these emotions is still quite vivid.) Take the time now to invest in a few precautions to snuff your (potential) low population/protect for the future and save yourself the hassle of a full on infestation. You might not actually catch one until it's more extreme. Truuuuust me. I seriously wish someone would have told me this back in January!
    If you DO catch one, tape it (to packing tape) and post on these forums asking for expert ID in case it's something else, like a carpet beetle or something. The treatment would be different so expert ID is helpful!
    Don't panic, you can beat this now, but act quickly!
    All the best from TO!

6. risal

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun May 28 2017 19:24:53
    #

Login to Send PM

If I had a landlord I would have called them by now. I'm in a home. Monday I noticed the first bites. Wednesday the second. Nothing since then. Started with raid traps and the bed leg detectors Friday. Nothing has been found in them. I checked the bed and around the bed for days and no sign. Yesterday is when I checked every square inch of the room. Took off switch covers, pulled out drawers, checked back and under everything, closet was emptied, every box checked, etc. I looked everywhere. The only thing I didn't do was pull the baseboards off, and I'm close to doing that. No sign to be found. Wased all my sheets again yesterday and put the covers on everything.
    I'm not convinced it's fleas. The first set were a few days after I weeded the yard. Seems odd to show up days later. My husbands theory is that he or I brought the fleas in. He weeded the days after me.
    I just wanted others opinions and if I am going overboard thinking it's bedbugs. I know there is not much else for me to do now besides keep checking for signs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,806 posts in 43,548 topics over 131 months by 19,076 of 19,668 members. Latest: tireddddddd, bedbugcrazed, HOWDY1