Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bites but no bugs. Looking for advice. Full details in post.

(33 posts)
  1. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 16 2017 11:38:31
    #

Login to Send PM

About a week ago my girlfriend found some red welts on her skin: . At first there were only a couple, then overnight each night more and more started to show up. I have no welts like this (but I may be immune apparently).

She went to the doctor who confirmed that these were, in fact, bug bites. The doctor then suggested bed bugs as a possibility.

The second she told me this (about 2 days ago), I read everything I could find about the bugs. I ordered climb up interceptors, a mattress cover, a box spring cover, some CimeXa, and a duster, and I went to work looking for them.

I checked the comforter, sheets, pillowcases, pillows, and mattress one by one looking for anything at all. I found no casings, no feces, no blood spots, and no bugs. I propped up the mattress and checked it very thoroughly and found nothing. I looked everywhere I could think of on the box spring and on the wooden bed frame and I also checked all of the furniture.

I couldn't find a thing.

I told the front office about this at our apartment complex and they were very understanding. Without a positive bug ID, the landlord suggested it may be something else, but she took it seriously.

Pest control came out yesterday to do an inspection. I honestly did a more thorough inspection than he did, but he essentially said that there is no reason I should assume it is bed bugs at this time. He seemed genuine and likely wanted to quell my fears, but I really wish he had just torn up the place trying to find them.

He laid down some sticky traps and told me to have them and the climb-up interceptors checked every week by pest control.

For the past two (essentially sleepless) nights, she has had no bites, and in the one night since putting in the climb up interceptors and the traps, nothing has shown up in them.

We have been cleaning/vacuuming a lot (we're already pretty clean and minimalist), drying the crap out of clothes and bedding, and I plan to put on the encasements and put down the CimeXa today, but I'm starting to think I'm going too far since the only evidence we have is the bites. I'm hoping it was something entirely different and that we got it already, but I can't seem to convince myself of that at 1:00 AM when I know they would be coming soon.

My biggest concern right now is that we had just signed a lease at a new apartment complex for July 8th. I don't want to bring them with us or leave them behind if they are there.

My main questions are:

1. Am I too paranoid? Should I be this worried?

2. How much longer do I have to be in "bed-bug" mode before I can safely say this was all a false alarm? (Obviously after reading this stuff, I'm still gonna prepare better everwhere I live, but I don't want to keep my bed in the center of my room on climb-up interceptors for the rest of my life.)

Thank you so much in advance for any help that can be provided. This forum and everyone on it has helped my sanity so much for the past week.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 16 2017 12:00:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The link below includes access to the BMJ article of 2013 which your medical professional does not appear to be aware of. In essence the conclusion they have drawn is not a sound one:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/bedbugslimitedbedbugbites.html

In some respects this has amplified the natural anxiety and concern that people naturally have with false information.

I would therefore suggest that the correct strategy is stop, and don't start into a treatment cycle until you have confirmed what is actually causing the issue. This prevents situations where people put in a lot of wasted effort and feel deflated because of that.

I would read the FAQ's and useful tools for options on monitoring.

• Adopt sensible prevention steps when away from home (travel FAQ).
    • Develop a good at home routine for early detection.
    • But all of that I would do after working out what this is, assuming it continues.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 16 2017 12:13:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

I have read through much of that page and I just looked through the article a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, a doctor can still tell the difference between bites and a rash, but cannot determine the type of bug if it turns out to be the former, correct?

Her doctor confirmed it was a bite, but then she only made suggestions as to what else it could be. We've been working to rule out other types of bugs, but considering the nature of the bites (appearing overnight) we thought it would be wise to prepare for the worst.

Was that a bad idea?

Thank you for your reply though. I still consider the mattress and box spring cover to be a good investment because I have allergies haha.

Also, I still can't find information on what the time frame would be to be relatively certain the problem has been solved. I was thinking of moving the bed back and removing the interceptors sometime next month. I know you are suggesting to not take this too far, but since I already have everything set up, would you consider a month of precautions too short a time span to rule them out as an option?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 16 2017 13:19:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The doctor, nor any medical professional can determine visually the difference between a bite and a skin reaction, or do so with any reliable degree of accuracy. There are wider indications and aspects of the morphology that can help but it is the kind of thing you need to be able to see the finer detail of which is hard online.

There are also issues which may appear based on biopsy to be a puncture in the skin similar to an insect bite but that is not in fact insect based. Biopsies only show the path of damage to the layers of skin not what actually caused it.

I would not assume any link between the timing of the skin reaction and its possible cause.

I would agree that a mattress cover is a good idea for allergies and I hope you purchased one of the quality allergy rated ones rather than the more poorly constructed bed bug branded ones.

The answer to the timing is very much driven by what method you use to detect. It should be covered in previous posts on the forum and the answer ranges from 7 -14 days through to 90 days depending upon your approach.

Out of interest where on the body was that image taken?

David

5. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 16 2017 13:47:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay that's interesting; I assumed that I saw punctures but didn't consider that a puncture/reaction combination could come from something else.

The picture that I posted is the from the back/side of her torso facing downward (the indent is her hip).

As far as our approach to detection, it's going to be a combination of the following:

1. Inspecting for more "bites" (Saturday night was the last time new ones showed up).
    2. Checking the climb-up interceptors and sticky traps.
    3. Inspecting the mattress and sheets on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, it almost feels like striving for both detection and prevention at the same time is a bad idea. Do you think it's wiser to avoid prevention for now (CimeXa and daily clothing/sheet drying) to ensure that we do find them if they are here?

And yeah the encasements were both rated very highly and targeted allergies as well as bed bugs. They were about 40 dollars each and seemed to be some of the highest rated on Amazon.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 16 2017 14:28:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Location makes it even less likely that its bed bugs.

Weekly inspection is less psychologically destructive than daily.

I would consider prevention as being:

• Checking when you travel
    • Checking office
    • Checking vehicle

I would not be treating or excessively processing clothes until you have a confirmed target to be dealing with.

David

7. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 16 2017 14:39:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much David.

Hearing that from a person with your expertise in the subject is certainly VERY reassuring. I'll take your advice and dial things down a good bit, and hopefully she and I can get over the psychological itching and sleeplessness quickly.

I'll try to post back here with a follow up if anything happens or I will do one in a month or two simply for informational purposes.

Thank you again.

8. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 10:00:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh.

Well unfortunately a large number of markings showed up again last night on her (~10-15). I'm really at a loss here. We now have the mattress encasement and box spring encasement on, plus 4 climb-up interceptors (one on each leg). The bed is far away from any other furniture. I realize now that we have 3 legs that are under the bed in the center so I will add interceptors to those as well.

The sticky traps from the Pest Inspector and the climb up interceptors are both empty. 10-15 bites in one night seems like a lot, right? I checked for feces, casings, and blood spots and there's literally nothing at all on the bed. Can we rule out bed bugs if we're not seeing that stuff? I plan to do an seriously detailed inspection tonight after work even if it takes me all night.

I still have the CimeXa but have not used it yet.

What could possibly be biting my girlfriend? This is so crazy stressful.

I've been doing research and it feels like it could be fleas, dust mites, bat bugs, bird mites, rat mites, chiggers, freaking anything at all. I have no idea how to proceed at this point.

Do I tell her to ignore it?
    Do I bring back the Pest Inspector?
    Do I buy more traps?

Again, any advice is very very appreciated.

Thank you.

9. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 11:21:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I reached out the the front office again at my apartment complex and have asked them to schedule the Pest Inspector again.

I'm wondering if I should try to get someone else. My complex is generally not stingy, has had no other reports of bed bugs, and is ridiculously clean and well-kept. I trust that they spared no expense with their chosen pest company, but I just have a bad taste in my mouth from the relatively quick inspection job he did earlier this week.

Is that a normal way to inspect an apartment when someone has bites?

I mean, the nature of the bites has been as follows for the past 6 days:

1. Bites showing up overnight on 3 nights (seemingly not present before going to bed)
    2. Bite count per night increasing on each occasion
    3. Bites (seemingly) only happening on hairless skin

Is there any other bug that would be causing that kind of a pattern?

I know it's hard to say anything for sure based on bites alone, but it's hard to imagine that there is anything else biting her.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 11:42:30
    #

Login to Send PM

tomlikesguitar - 16 minutes ago  » 
    ..... but it's hard to imagine that there is anything else biting her.

It is hard for you but not for us.

I don't say that to sound harsh but to make it clear. Skin reaction in places that are generally covered when sleeping are not usually pest control issues with the exception of fleas.

People are naturally drawn towards jumping to the conclusion that bitten in bed = bed bugs but that is not the case in the majority of cases.

It could equally be a medical issue or an allergy.

Its just a shame you were incorrectly told that the skin reaction were bites because with some people that initial diagnosis can get them stuck in that rut and thus ignoring whats actually going on.

David

11. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 11:48:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey David,

After speaking with her just now I can confirm that newest markings (which there are actually 20+ of) showed up on one of her legs which are not covered at night (plus a few on her arms and other places). As far as her torso being covered, I should also say that she wears a very very loose t-shirt at night so I could see why that might be more possible.

I'm still not saying it's not a different bug, but I thought that might be crucial info for determining bites vs. skin condition.

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 11:59:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

By covered at night I mean with clothes or the duvet / comforter / sheet. It matters not how tight or loose the items are because with most insects they will not be the target feed sites because to go to them they would have to willing walk past too many other opportunities to feed.

What helps is fact based summaries with exact numbers and locations on the body. This is hard to do in writing and I usually resort to using outline diagrams such as in the mystery bite process we sometimes use.

David

13. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 12:09:28
    #

Login to Send PM

That does make sense, but we only have a comforter on the bed and it usually ends up getting thrown off (we're in Austin, TX and it's super hot down here haha). I don't doubt that her leg could have spent the whole night dangling out of the comforter last night.

Is there a good resource to find a reputable bed-bug inspector in my area? I'd like to get a full on inspection done by an expert, but I don't know how to find one that won't screw me over.

14. BattleoftheBug

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 12:23:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I would say to the OP--the signs seem to be there and to trust his gut. Six years ago, I started to get what looked like itchy hives on my body. I went to the doctor and he thought they were hives. Wrong! They were bed bug bites. I had seen nothing up to that time, not a single bug anywhere. That's the thing--unless you have a horde of them--you don't. But I had no history of having hives and so I asked my daughter to help me take my bed apart and inspect it. I was and am an older woman and could not handle the large mattress and box spring on my own. Well! It turns out that a portion of the filmy material one sees on the bottom of box springs had come away--and several BBs were hiding in there. Their eggs were visible and it seems they had confined their defecation to this area, as well. Hard to imagine that such creatures would know enough to avoid any detection in this manner--but that's how it was in this case. My daughter and I did not know what to do. I had not so much as a can of bug spray in the apartment. Had I known what I do now, I would have given them a good alcohol soaking, at least, but I was just stunned at the time. Anyway, the manager was alerted and sent a PCO, who sprayed the mattress and box spring and the apartment in general. After that, I found this site and had some mattress and box spring encasings [had never previously heard of them] shipped to me as fast as possible. My daughter and I put them on over live bugs and dead and right away the bites lessened right away. I was not yet smart enough to get the interceptors for the feet of the bed right away, but I learned that, too--later. A problem is that, while the bed is fairly easy to check, a sofa is not. They can have deep crevices , good hiding places. Lately, I am sure some BBs had gotten into my couch and had bitten me even during the day--as I never slept on it at night. You don't feel these bugs biting you, necessarily. As for the building management telling you whether anyone there has BBs--don't count on it. Not long ago, I was sitting in the lobby of my building and the same PCO who came to my place years ago was spraying around downstairs. The manager walked past and I asked her "What's up?" Her reply was that it was just a "precautionary measure". I doubted it. I had seen a couple of mattress or box springs in the trash room where we throw our trash into two giant receptacles [we have a lot of units here]--different ones on two different occasions. So I figured something was up. The day that the PCO was supposed to come to my apartment, I called the company the management uses and asked when I could expect him. Someone there told me he was supposed to visit another unit but mine was NOT ON THE LIST. This really ticked me off as the manager had assured me of a visit from him on that day. Since the manager was not in the office, the pest control business could not reach her. The person I spoke to was nice enough to call back and tell me of her lack of success. Anyway, my point is people DO have bugs in this building and why the manager would have wanted me to think I was the only one is beyond me. Come to think of it, she did that six years ago, too. Just keep looking and have someone come in to spray. Unless you can think of something else that might be a factor, suspect the sofa.

15. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 13:48:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BattleOfTheBug,

Thank you for your suggestions. We do have some couches that I suspect may be the source of the bites and I'll definitely take a look at them.

I just wish I knew a good way to get a 100% confirmation that they are there.

I'm going to really consider a dog inspection if we still can't find anything, but there are so many horror stories around the false positives.

Thank you all for your help and advice. If anyone else sees this thread and has anything else to contribute, I would be very grateful.

Anything proactive as far as suggestions in finding what is causing this would be very helpful.

16. bedbugsbugme

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 15:33:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I would go ahead with the dog inspection to ease your mind. But make sure to ask them if they verify any positive hits from the dog. They have to look at the spot the dog alerted to. Have you considered that you may have carpet beetles? I've heard of people getting reactions from the tiny hairs on the larvae.

There are a million things that can cause skin reactions, even overnight. Detergent, carpet beetles, even food eaten earlier that day! Ive even had my own leg hairs (when I don't shave them for several days) irritate my other leg. I've even had my husbands leg hairs irritate my legs! Also stressing over stuff like this can cause reactions (I jest you not).

For now replace the word "bite" with "reaction". It will help ease the mind a little bit.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  17. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 15:53:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the advice bedbugsbugme.

I'll make sure to look for carpet beetles as well when I do my thorough search today and I'll keep trying to find anything non-bite related that could be causing this.

I appreciate the help and will do my best to avoid making too many assumptions.

18. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu May 18 2017 15:56:59
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 22 minutes ago  » 

For now replace the word "bite" with "reaction". It will help ease the mind a little bit.

Bird dreams are not admissible in court.
  19. nyc1235

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 1:21:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I just want to share something I went through 5 years ago. I started being covered in itchy bumps out of nowhere. I freaked out thinking we had bed bugs for sure.

I got bit no matter where I was even in fresh clothes. A few weeks into our drama I was heading to bed and noticed a microscopic bug (and I mean smaller than a crumb like this big - . ) on my arm. I went to bed and woke up covered in red itchy bumps again. A week later I noticed my cat starring at the floor boards beside my closet. I got down on both knees with a flashlight and noticed about 50 of these tiny dot sized things crawling all around the crack between the wall and floorboard. I looked on the other side of the wall inside my closet and sure enough these suckers were all over my clothes, yoga mats and more. We took photos which did not look at all like baby bed bugs in shape or color. Out land lord being an idiot came up and sprayed with a can and accused us of bringing bed bugs from a hotel. We started living out of bags and washing everything we owned on hot etc. Nothing helped. I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Then we started smelling something gross and figured out after awhile it was a dead mouse in the closet wall. This wasn't the first time this place had had mice in the walls or out.

An exterminator came in and saw the bugs first hand and couldn't identify them. He sprayed but they were traveling on us and on the cat from room to room because they were so tiny. I got bites even after that. Eventually we found websites about something called rodent mites and identified the bugs as those. They live off of dead mice or mouse nests in the walls etc.

To be honest we moved two months later which I believe was the only way to get rid of them since the landlord refused to kill her mouse problem. It was an expensive and long stressful nightmare.

My point is-just because you have bites it doesn't mean they are bed bugs-especially if you have no evidence. In our situation no one knew a damn thing about these tiny mites.

20. nyc1235

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 2:27:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I just want to share something I went through 5 years ago. I started being covered in itchy bumps out of nowhere. I freaked out thinking we had bed bugs for sure.

I got bit no matter where I was even in fresh clothes. A few weeks into our drama I was heading to bed and noticed a microscopic bug (and I mean smaller than a crumb like this big - . ) on my arm. I went to bed and woke up covered in red itchy bumps again. A week later I noticed my cat starring at the floor boards beside my closet. I got down on both knees with a flashlight and noticed about 50 of these tiny dot sized things crawling all around the crack between the wall and floorboard. I looked on the other side of the wall inside my closet and sure enough these suckers were all over my clothes, yoga mats and more. We took photos which did not look at all like baby bed bugs in shape or color. Out land lord being an idiot came up and sprayed with a can and accused us of bringing bed bugs from a hotel. We started living out of bags and washing everything we owned on hot etc. Nothing helped. I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Then we started smelling something gross and figured out after awhile it was a dead mouse in the closet wall. This wasn't the first time this place had had mice in the walls or out.

An exterminator came in and saw the bugs first hand and couldn't identify them. He sprayed but they were traveling on us and on the cat from room to room because they were so tiny. I got bites even after that. Eventually we found websites about something called rodent mites and identified the bugs as those. They live off of dead mice or mouse nests in the walls etc.

To be honest we moved two months later which I believe was the only way to get rid of them since the landlord refused to kill her mouse problem. It was an expensive and long stressful nightmare.

My point is-just because you have bites it doesn't mean they are bed bugs-especially if you have no evidence. In our situation no one knew a damn thing about these tiny mites.

21. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 9:24:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you nyc1235,

I appreciate stories like this because you don't see them too much with all the hysteria about BBs. It's still unnerving that we are only seeing them show up overnight (most people who had an alternative source for their reaction seem to notice things throughout the day). Also we still haven't seen a single viable culprit yet. I would love to find a mite or something because I'd at least have a lead at that point.

Anyway, last night seems to have been a good one with no skin reaction showing up overnight (so far we're about 50/50 in the past week).

Yesterday I did my thorough investigation/clean. I re-checked the bedding. I checked every drawer in the night stands, dresser, and chest. I checked the same four pieces of furniture with no drawers inside. I checked the exterior of the encased mattress and box spring. I checked the wooden bed frame. I checked every single item on the floor in the bedroom.

Everything that I checked was thoroughly scanned with a flashlight. I looked in every screw hole and every crack on the inside and outside. This whole ordeal took me over 4 hours.

I found a total of three different bugs.

First, I found these little bugs under a spider web on the window sill. The spider was still there as well and was very small. I snapped a picture of the little bugs I found on the window sill, but they don't look like anything to me. They were about the thickness of a piece of pencil lead for reference:

Then, I found this little guy in the bottom dresser drawer of my girlfriend's nightstand. Again, it was just as small as the other bugs, but I managed to get a much more detailed picture of it. I'm no expert, but it looks like a beetle:

Lastly, I found a bigger spider UNDER my girlfriends nightstand. I did not get a picture of this guy (although I should have). I was more interested in killing it before I lost it in the carpet just in case it was the problem. I would say the spider was about 3/4 inch (~20 mm) in diameter with it's legs, but the torso was maybe 1/4 inch (~6 mm). I'm almost certain it was a common house spider.

Could this have been the culprit? I find it unlikely because there were so many marks on her, but then again, maybe it was in her night clothes or the bedding or something and freaked out.

Anyway, after my search, I vacuumed, wiped up the window sills and baseboards, and cleaned up as much as possible.

I feel much safer after the inspection and a reaction-less night, but am still pretty skeptical that the problem is gone.

If anyone could reassure my claim that the bugs in the pictures are harmless I would really appreciate it. I'll try to follow up with any more pertinent information as I can find it.

Thank you for the help everyone who has contributed so far. It has meant a lot.

22. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 9:31:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, the bugs in your pictures are not bed bugs. I doubt that the spider you found was the culprit, they seem to get a bad reputation and don't actually bite as much as people think they do.

23. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 9:36:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The beetle is a beetle.

The items under the spiders web were most likely flies discarded after they had been fed upon by the spider.

The lack of confirming signs is a good thing.

I know you may find it frustrating to just clean and observe but it is the correct thing to do. In about 90% of the cases were we inspect and find no obvious signs of the causes (bed bugs or otherwise) a restorative deep cleanse of the sleeping area often resolves things. I use the word cleanse rather than clean because it is a process that is deeper than people associate with "cleaning" their rooms.

I have long been an advocate of the fact that 30 minutes spent cleansing and checking your sleeping area once a month is a sensible practice for modern life. Our beds are our most used item of furniture and yet because we "rest there" we often don't think about cleaning it.

David

24. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 9:38:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks BigDummy,

Maybe one of our neighbors have something (although I still have no idea how I couldn't have found something during the crazy search I did yesterday).

Regardless, it doesn't seem like there's much more to do for us but wait for now. I know that my girlfriend isn't going to like hearing that though...

25. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 9:40:13
    #

Login to Send PM

And thank you too David,

I really hope that this cleaning is the end of the reactions showing up.

26. Ombugsman

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 12:06:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Tom - Try to relax a bit. You've taken the right steps. I'd put you in the top 1% of bed bug victims in that regard. Also everybody on this thread has given great advice IMO. I'll try to continue in that vein.

First, here's an excellent article on "mystery bites" in addition to the info contained on David's website.

Second, try to think logically and follow a process of elimination. Let's start with bed bugs. If they're present, you've caught it early and they're probably in the bed given your GF is waking up to marks. And they're most likely to be in the box spring/frame/headboard.
    - You mentioned the encasements have been placed on the bed. What brand did you buy? There are only a few that have been independently tested by reputable people/organizations that you're able to be sure will keep any bugs from escaping. Also now that the encasements are on, you might be able to find fecal more readily. Keep looking for any fecal.
    - How confident are you about your inspection of the frame/headboard? BBs are able to enter spaces thinner than a credit card. Were you able to take apart the frame? Are there potential spots that were difficult to inspect and could be possible harborages? Is you headboard upholstered?

Third, allergic reaction could be to something in mattress or on sheet or night clothes. The mattress encasement should take care of allergens there. Have you changed your sheets and laundered them in hot water (hot water helps for dust mites)? Have you tried sleeping without the comforter? Be sure to bag it when you take it off the bed. Your GF sleeping in different night clothes would also be important. Whatever clothing is worn to bed, i would recommend bagging them after you wake up. Perhaps something is getting on them in the dresser or wherever. Also she should consider using different bath soap/body oils. And the detergent you are using for clothes and bedding should be considered.

Fourth, after you read the article I linked plus info on David's website and done some further research, you'll be able to formulate a plan for biting insects other than bed bugs or the possibility that bed bugs are outside your bed. Remember CimeXa kills not only bed bugs but also mites, lice, and fleas. If none of the above works, you'll want to consider dusting the floor around the bed and the baseboards and anything near the bed like a nightstand.

Finally, keep a daily written record of the actions you've taken and the results.

27. bedbugsbugme

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 12:48:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have birds nesting on your house anywhere? I heard they can leave mites when they are done with a nest. Those mites can migrate inside and feed on you for a while. We've been chasing off sparrows ever since that happened to us.

28. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 12:56:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Ombugsman,

Thank you for the detailed post.

Unfortunately it seems as though new bumps were actually on her arm today so the problem may not be gone just yet.

I'll read through that article right now.

As far as your questions:

You mentioned the encasements have been placed on the bed. What brand did you buy?

This is the mattress encasement: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WI09NM6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the box spring encasement: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C2TRA6Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll look out for fecal but in the 3 days since they've been on I have searched diligently and found nothing. The climb-ups and sticky traps have both been on as long with no signs in them.

How confident are you about your inspection of the frame/headboard?

I'm not really sure. I checked every single crack on the entire thing with a flashlight and saw nothing, but some of the cracks seemed to be too small to fit anything at all into. I will attest that there is a lot of surface area on the frame with many different connecting wooden pieces. It is possible I missed something.

It IS upholstered with leather patched, but very tightly. I checked the areas in between the leather and the wood by pulling it as far as possible until I could see where the leather met the wood.

Here is a picture of a bed nearly identical to mine (couldn't find mine online oddly enough):

Long story short, I could have definitely missed something, but I feel like I did about as good a job as any visual inspection could.

Third, allergic reaction could be to something in mattress or on sheet or night clothes.

I'm SO hoping it's an allergic reaction. It's just hard to really get my head in that mindset since I've been through almost everything possible, and nothing has really changed that would cause that. We've used the same detergents and stuff forever.

Have you changed your sheets and laundered them in hot water (hot water helps for dust mites)?

Yeah we've done this about twice.

Have you tried sleeping without the comforter?

No but that's definitely an option. Is it possible they are IN the comforter? We have run it through the dryer multiple times but maybe it's not getting hot enough since it's so thick.

Your GF sleeping in different night clothes would also be important.

She sleeps in different clothes every night.

Remember CimeXa kills not only bed bugs but also mites, lice, and fleas. If none of the above works, you'll want to consider dusting the floor around the bed and the baseboards and anything near the bed like a nightstand.

Really?

That's interesting, I wasn't sure if I should dust just yet because I didn't know if it would do anything for other bugs.

Still, are you sure it's a good idea to CimeXa without any confirmation? I'd love to put it down right now, but I worry about it making it harder to detect the source.

Thank you again so much.

29. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 13:00:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey bedbugsbugme,

I don't think we have any birds nesting and I haven't heard any noises to indicate that. I'm sure it's possible, but I wouldn't know at all how to start detecting them.

Does anyone know if other the other possible bugs are as likely as bed bugs to show reactions on one person only? Because I still have no marks on me at all.

30. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 13:10:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh one other question, is it possible for bed bugs to have a DIFFERENT reaction on the host?

Her first 2 nights of bumps they were large and pink like the picture in the first post, but lately the bumps she's been getting are much smaller (but still similar to the first set of bumps).

Is it possible that the more recent ones are from nymphs and are smaller as a result or is that not how it works?

31. BattleoftheBug

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 13:50:06
    #

Login to Send PM

There are images of people with bed bug bites all over the Net. Just do a Google image search on that topic and you will see many examples. The bites in this image seem to me to closely resemble your image of your GFs lesions.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/177/439025141_03d3e944dc.jpg

32. tomlikesguitar

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 13:52:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BattleoftheBug,

I think you misunderstood my question.

Basically, I'd like to know if it's possible for the host to get different reactions from bed bug bites (possibly based on their stage in life).

The reactions she has now seem to be smaller versions of the bites she was initially getting.

33. Ombugsman

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri May 19 2017 14:54:06
    #

Login to Send PM

This is the box spring encasement: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C2TRA6Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great choice! That's the one I have. Independently tested by Snell Scientific and thick stitching reduces susceptibility to tears (comprehensive 10 year warranty). I've had mine sitting on a coarse metal frame for 3 years and no rips or tears.

This is the mattress encasement: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WI09NM6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not familiar with that brand. BBs are not likely to be in mattress you've inspected so other things like temperature, waterproof, noise, etc are more important in selecting one. I'd suggest taping over the spot where the zipper ends just to be sure.

Is it possible they are IN the comforter? We have run it through the dryer multiple times but maybe it's not getting hot enough since it's so thick.

Possible but not likely. I was thinking more a skin reaction to the comforter. Just because your GF hasn't reacted in the past to the comforter doesn't mean something couldn't have changed. I'd recommend sleeping as spartan as possible to eliminate some things. I'd ditch the comforter for a while (bag it). Vacuum the top of the encasement (preferably hepa filter if you've got one). Wash the sheets (preferably white)/night clothes/pillow covers/pillow in hot water at the same time. Don't use any detergent. Bag them right out of the laundry. Wash and use the bed clothes she previously wore and woke up having no marks. Then put sheets on bed and jammies on right before going to sleep (don't hang out on a couch or chair wearing jammies). Shower just before bed but don't use soap or oils etc. If she wakes up with no bites, bag the bed clothes and wear them again the next night and repeat the cycle. If still a problem use different sheets and keep everything the same.

I'd try all of that first. If that doesn't work, you could try switching the sides of the bed you are sleeping on. Something also to consider is the possibility of your GF sleeping at a friend's or relative's house if possible for 3 or 4 days (depends how often marks showing up in your home). You should stay in your bed to keep any BBs happy. If she still wakes up with marks, that would be very telling. It's possible it could be delayed reactions to bites of a bug of some kind, but it's probably more likely she's got some kind of skin condition. If no marks appear for 3 or 4 days or whatever, then I personally would start using the CimeXa although here is where any harmony on this thread might end and others would have different opinion. You would be using CimeXa not specifically for bed bugs but other biting pests that might be the problem as well.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

255,240 posts in 40,867 topics over 124 months by 17,884 of 18,271 members. Latest: DDScared97, Chelsearae0315, nervousbugdown