Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

bites bruising

(24 posts)
  1. ann129

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Dec 6 2008 20:58:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I had an infestation in an apartment (42 unit building in Bklyn) that I had lived in for 30 years. I moved and am now getting bruises (black, & blue marks) on my body rather than bites with red welts. These bruises appear on my legs around my knees and on my forearms. They don't itch.. but are sore the way a black and blue bruise would hurt.

Is it possible these are bites.. I think they are..

2. pleasenotme

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Dec 6 2008 23:24:39
    #

Login to Send PM

How big are the bruises?

3. ann129

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 7 2008 6:25:05
    #

Login to Send PM

The bruises are the about the size of dimes although not particularly round. Does anyone have experience with bed bug bites that turn to black and blues??

4. BugsInTO

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 7 2008 11:06:42
    #

Login to Send PM

My bites did not bruise or turn black & blue. I've done lots of searches on the internet and looked at all the photos I could find, and none of them posted black & blue bruises as bedbug bites.

There is a lot of variation in bite reactions and that was why I was checking. We all go through "is this a bite?"

A bite is an allergic reaction. A bruise is bleeding. Bedbugs inject anticoagulants when they bite as well as anesthetics. These two work together - one keeps you from feeling the bite and the other keeps the blood flowing otherwise the blood coagulates when exposed to air.

Maybe for some reason you are very sensitive to the anticoagulant. I think you should go and see a doctor to be sure.

5. buggela

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 7 2008 18:55:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I have also noticed small black and blue marks on my legs. I used to get huge welts from the bites, now they are much smaller bites and those weird black and blue marks.....

6. ann129

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 7 2008 19:41:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I've just been to my internist and then to a hemotologist.. I'm going to take a clotting test. I explained my infestation to the hemolotogist.. and asked him if the bruising could be bed bug bites.. he asked me if they itched.. they didn't. He didn't really know.. how could he?? My white blood count is slightly below normal. Exposure to the pesticides can't be healthy either.

This has truly been one of the worst experiences in my lifetime. I left a rent controlled apartment full of furniture and memories.. for something half the size and twice the price. I'm still worried about bugs.. still chasing them around, washing sheets, vacuuming hardwood floors and plastic bagging my clothes.

Thank you so much for taking the time to research this on line...

7. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 7 2008 19:51:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have not heard of bed bug bites producing bruises and that is in some 9,000+ cases I have dealt with and about 12-15,000 people.

That said it does not mean it is not possible.

I would have a word with your doctor and possible have a chat with a dermatologist and check that you are not on any blood thinning products such as asprin.

David

8. ann129

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 7 2008 19:52:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David.. that's just what I wanted to hear.

9. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 12:07:55
    #

Login to Send PM

The fact that you seem to get them on your knees and forearms may be just regular little bruises (esp the knees) if you're cleaning and moving stuff around by lifting or carrying.

10. F@ Bed Bugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2008 18:26:23
    #

Login to Send PM

David's response is definitely comforting, but I too have an excessive amount of bruises on my legs lately. First time eaten the bites became huge itchy welts, now they are tiny itchy bumps and when I began reading these posts I thought, oh great, now I'm gonna look like my husband beats me on top of being itchy and paranoid. They could be from getting the house prepared for treatment number two, now that you mention it.

11. LosingMyMind

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 17 2009 11:11:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been dealing with bed bugs "I think!" since December, maybe longer but just realized it in December...and in the last 3 weeks I have been finding little bruises on my legs, mostly my thighs. They aren't much bigger than a pea. I have also been wondering if they are from the bug bites. I have about 3 on my inner thighs and unless I've been visited by aliens in the night who have tried to force themselves on me, it would be pretty difficult to get bruises there.

12. LosingMyMind

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 17 2009 11:11:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been dealing with bed bugs "I think!" since December, maybe longer but just realized it in December...and in the last 3 weeks I have been finding little bruises on my legs, mostly my thighs. They aren't much bigger than a pea. I have also been wondering if they are from the bug bites. I have about 3 on my inner thighs and unless I've been visited by aliens in the night who have tried to force themselves on me, it would be pretty difficult to get bruises there.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 17 2009 12:59:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I think we can rule out aliens on the grounds that its on the inner thigh, all the people I know that claim to have been visited by little green people all claim they are more interested in areas closer to the backs of the legs 8O.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  14. LosingMyMind

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 18 2009 10:42:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Well that's a relief As bad as bed bugs are to get rid of, I have to think those "little green people" would be even more difficult!! lol

15. gaylel

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 0:54:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I was interested to read the questions about black and blue bruising type marks. My elderly father has had a bout of this with some really large brusing particulary behind the knees and at the back of legs. He also thought it may be bed bugs or due to blood thinning or other medications (he had just started taking Panamax for back pain). He recently said he felt a bite like sensation whilst sitting in the chair and immediately noticed 2 bruises on his legs. His doctor gave them a very cursory look but no diagnosis. Any further info appreciated.

16. toledo

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 10 2010 10:41:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I know that blood thinning medications can cause bruising. I've seen it on my father, but it was primarily on his hands. I also believe that some of my bed bug bites have shown up as bruises. Mine have been very small, pea-sized as mentioned by an earlier poster. My father's bruises were very large and seemed to be in patches. I recommend buying climb-ups and putting them on your father's bed/chair, so you can monitor the situation.

17. bubblebuttgigi

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue May 31 2011 18:57:06
    #

Login to Send PM

i too know for a fact i had bed bugs treated for them and am not on blood thinners but have noticed where i have bites before which were red itchy bumps i now have bad bruising in its place. i think that maybe when they bite and we scratch so much we ourselfs cause the bruising though. just a theory im no expert but...i too have nasty bruising that cant be explained and havent done any lifting or anything and they are mostly on my inner and upper thighs. could we be bruising ourselfs from scratching? and could the bites cause you to have enough blood loss to cause an iron deficiantcy or annemia and perhaps thats why we are bruising so easily?

18. Rosae

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 1 2011 12:04:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I have also a lot of bruises. Also swellings so it looks dramatic. Some are related to unusual heavy work but for others I have no explanation. Started with the Big Bed Bug problem. Maybe related, maybe just coincidence.

Bed bugs like to prick in the middle of a bruise and that hurts.

19. Rosae

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 1 2011 16:29:21
    #

Login to Send PM

A few days ago I put a cover around my bed bottom and mattress, and I lifted a corner with one hand and with the other hand I placed the cover. The bed bottom is about 40 kg and the mattress 20 kg. After a few hours my wrist was swollen and red and the next day my underarm was swollen, black and blue. I don't remember a similar reaction in the past and I have done a lot of do-it-yourself work.

Maybe the ongoing allergic reactions are causing too much blood in the capillaries.

20. lagirl31

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 1 2011 18:41:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I could be completely wrong about this, but if someone has been dealing with an infestation for a while, it seems like they could potentially develop a slight case of anemia. I'm thinking this wouldn't happen unless you were already pre-disposed to anemia, though.

My bb bites have never manifested as bruises, but I've dealt with anemia before and one of the first signs I notice is lots of easy bruising. I would talk to a doc about it if you're concerned. It's easy enough to get your hemoglobin level tested and that would at least rule it out.

21. lra

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 2 2011 16:50:37
    #

Login to Send PM

My bites have turned into bruises and can take a while to fully heal. I didn't think they were bed bug bites, as they were unlike any pictures of bites that I had seen on the internet. However, finding a bed bug the other day changed everything.

22. done in

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 2 2011 19:58:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Haven't been on this site for a long time. Had good reasons for thinking I had bedbugs. Other family members had them. We all got treated. I developed strange bruising on my thighs and fore arms. The original scare was a year ago. I have never seen a bug, but for the original one. Don't really know if it was a bedbug because a doctor at the clinic squashed it.
    I do not have bedbugs, but I have something that leaves red pin dots and red spots and small scratches. I think this probably sounds like I have delusional paratosis, wish that were the case. Made a huge mistake by going onto a site about mites.
    In the summer when I was wearing shorts I had numerous bruises on my thighs. Winter came, only a few. I would like to think this is just normal stuff. I have a great grandson, see little bites on him way too much. It was winter in Canada, what the hell would be biting.
    My son had a mice infestation. Do they leave mites? My other son was living across from a barn, which was torn down. They had an infestation of rats. Moved out. Do rats leave mites?
    I see bites on my other family members, but think they are just thinking it's normal stuff.
    How normal is constantly having red pindots, red spots and itching?
    Am at the point where I am afraid to ask my Doctotr about all the bites and red spots an scratches. Don't want to be seen as a nut case. Could probably cope with this if it weren't for my great grand son. Why does this beautiful boy have so many weird spots on himself?
    Help.

23. BugsMustDie

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 30 2011 8:11:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I am currently in the phase of trying to determine if all my bugs are dead. I too started with the normal bites, but I am now noticing bruising and some new bites, which I hope are delayed reactions. I am not on medications, so we can rule that out. There are too many people who have posted noticing bruises, so I think it's fair to say they could be related to the bugs. I have noticed a trend among the posts though that they seem to appear awhile after the bites. Is it possible these are not a new, changed reaction, but rather a delayed response to old bites? I also thought the post about this possibly being related to anemia in people who may be borderline anemia anyway. I am not sure this is the case, but I will ask my doctor about that tomorrow. Since this is an old thread, I am interested to know if anyone has come to any conclusions on their own after they posted.

Done In - my bites sometimes did look like pin spots...I definately wouldn't rule out bed bugs as the cause. Start looking for other evidence - blood, fecal spots or cast skins. Doctors can't diagnose bites. They may be able to determine if your spots are caused by something else (skin disorder perhaps), but if it's a bite, they can't look at it and determine specifically what bit you. Good luck!

24. Rosae

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 30 2011 12:58:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Two days ago I noticed a little red spot on my shin; I thought it was a bite and already felt disappointed. In a few hours it became a bruise, and now I'm fairly sure that it wasn't a bite. I probably must have hurt myself but I have no idea when.

Maybe bed bugs do something to the capillaries, making them more vulnerable. It is in the bed bugs' interest to make blood flow easy.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,634 posts in 29,298 topics over 90 months by 12,637 of 19,885 members. Latest: leavemebe, Moxtr, djyang