Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

bites and Lotrisone

(7 posts)
  1. ddp886

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 28 2010 21:42:16
    #

Login to Send PM

does Lotrisone cream effect BB bites at all? or does it do absolutely nothing?

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 30 2010 10:34:22
    #

Login to Send PM

http://www.drugs.com/lotrisone.html

Not a medical professional but looking at the drug info the antifungal component, Clotrimazole, is useless on an insect bite

The topical steroid component, Betamethasone, may have some effect on the skin reaction.

However the drug is targeted overall as an antifungal so there are better targeted drugs for anti-itch, antihistamine.

Jim

3. wirehead

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 30 2010 12:37:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, here's what I just found on Google:

"Clotrimazole is an antifungal antibiotic that treats or prevents infection caused by fungus. Betamethasone is a topical steroid that reduces itching, swelling, and redness of the skin. The combination of betamethasone and clotrimazole is used to treat fungal skin infections such as athletes foot, jock itch, and ringworm."

The antifungal antibiotic component isn't going to do anything about bites, of course, since they're neither an infection nor a fungus. The topical steroid will probably act similar to the anti-itch creams available over-the-counter -- what it would do is reduce your body's reaction to the bite, which is what's causing the swelling and itching.

So depending on how your body reacts to it, it could help, yeah, but I'd be leery of using it due to the unnecessary antibiotic (we don't really need to breed antibiotic-resistant super-fungus). You could try picking up some anti-itch cream at the pharmacy, or taking an oral antihistamine and see if either of those gives you some relief.

Personally, the most effective thing I found was running my bites under the hottest water I could stand for as long as I could stand it. Made them completely stop itching for HOURS, and was basically the only thing that kept me sane.

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 30 2010 12:46:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted similar either got trapped by the filter or goofed and didn't finish.

It had 1 link to a drug site. Maybe the filter is hypersensitive this week.

Jim

5. wirehead

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 30 2010 13:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I think I had a link in my first one too.

It's okay. Good filter. Down boy. *offers it a treat*

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 30 2010 16:41:58
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 3 hours ago  » 
    I posted similar either got trapped by the filter or goofed and didn't finish.
    It had 1 link to a drug site. Maybe the filter is hypersensitive this week.
    Jim

Hi Jim,

In the case of the site you linked to, the spam filter is probably catching on drug sites, since there's so much pharmaceutical spam.

Anyway, your post is now rescued, and people can scroll up or click here to view it.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. ddp886

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 30 2010 18:45:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I was prescribed lotrisone since my doc believes the three or four "bite" marks that I have are inflammation from some type of fungle. They are bases around a hair cell every time which leads him to think its not bites. Since FRI, my bite marks have faded very well. Then last night one appeared out of no where, i put some of this creamed on it then went to be to take up to the entire red mark gone. Like I can't even find where it was. It's just odd because these mark appeared right next to the others.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

192,856 posts in 29,741 topics over 91 months by 12,859 of 20,150 members. Latest: DarthUnit, redfruit, JEPA