Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Bird Mite. Behaviour- need help please

(10 posts)
  1. bugnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 11:15:33
    #

Login to Send PM

We discovered bird mites in their early stages of entering our home a week ago today. At first I didn't realize what was on the inside of the front door and thinking it was just a summer pest (there was quite a collection on the door) I grabbed a paper towel and my counter spray and started to remove them. It was once I started to remove them I twigged to the nest that was attached to my decorative wreath on the front door and realized this may be a bird mite. I rushed to wash my hands and have a shower but when I made it upstairs two were still on the underside of my feet, I discarded the towels and clothing I had on straight to the outside bin. I was able to have a pest company identify and come out that afternoon, they sprayed temprid sc and advised to bag all clothing sheets etc until they could go through the wash/dryer. About 5 hours later we still had mites crawling on the walls and out of the thermostat. My husband had the company return the next day and spray again this time he watched and made them focus on areas of carpet and the crawl space which is directly under the front door, the nest was removed the same day that I found the bugs. We have not had any active mites that I can see all week, I have been cleaning bedding and living out of the clean bags of clothing, we are scheduled for a follow up tomorrow with the PCO to spray temprid sc again. My questions are;
    How do you know when you are finally without issue. ? I have unfortunately read the most horrible stories on the sites birdmites.org and theyearofthemite and I am scared Of how this will impact my family.
    How can you confirm they are in your car? Is this a given?

Is it true they cannot survive without the bird host being present any longer or are they truly adaptive?

This seems to be the most sensible of the forums so I am hoping for some feedback that will ease my anxious mind.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 1:02:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Very few people here are qualified to answer this type of question. I put a note in the title to help get Lou's attention. There may be pros reading this who can comment too, but most people here won't know. So please hang on-- and stop looking at those other sites! There is some seriously whack stuff out there.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bugnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 8:07:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Nobugsonme I really appreciate the help. It's been a tough week but I am hoping we will come out the other side.
    Lou if you have any advice it would be much appreciated

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 8:08:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes there are some scary stories out there on some sites and the real scary thing is often they don't actually have mites and as such some of the steps they take actually cause the problem. My primer on bird mites is linked below:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/birdmites

In an ideal world the first PCO on scene should ID the original sources of the issue, remove the primary / initial harbourages and work back logically into the property with a detergent or alcohol contact killer. When this is done before the issue becomes dispersed the resolution is quick.

If dispersal has occurred you need to wait for things to settle down and avoid too much disruption. The population will eventually subside.

Yes they are an unpleasant issue and they are certainly one that triggers my anxiety response into overdrive. I am fine with bed bugs but bird mites do a number of me and the only thing I can do is be extremely mindful of that fact and work through those feelings (yes even typing this is hard as I get needle sensations).

To that end a lot of the advice on anxiety management and bed bugs will I hope help you:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/anxiety

Hope that helps you to assess the situation and put any action plans in place. This is not a pest where washing the contents of the home will help and to some extent the extra work of that can be depressing which is why it is to be avoided.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 8:14:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I received your note and answered there. The pest species of bird mites are those that live in the nest and feed on the host birds. When the birds leave, the mites are left without their food source and then they begin crawling further from the nest for the blood meal and that's when they normally find the humans in the home. If the bird nest is on an AC unit in the window, the mites might gain access to the inner areas/rooms of the home because there are spaces around the unit through which they can gain access or even crawl in the AC unit. Sometimes they can be blown in if they are in the right place when the unit is turned on. If there are no nesting birds, there really won't be a mite population to worry about. Sounds like you're taking care of the issue. Just make sure sure the area isn't hospitable to nesting birds. There are products on the market for this, too.
    Those bird mite websites aren't really informative and just scare readers.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. bugnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 9:32:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Lou and David you have both put my mind at ease. My husband has also been very focused on eradication of the population and source and not so much on removing everything we own!

If we are not seeing activity in the initial area of entry or in hot areas like the bathroom or bedroom is it a good sign?

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 9:53:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes it is a good sign but please don't place too much emphasis in it. Dopamine is a nasty drug and avoiding the emotional highs and lows helps because you don't feed the boom and bust cycle.

Work from the outside in and use contact killers rather than metabolic killers and don't try to catch any unless its onto tape.

I also tend to find them high up rather than down low but don't get too close as the drop as a response to potential food.

David

8. bugnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:37:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David, it's hard not to focus on the outcome as I am just trying to get life back to normal for our daughter. We sprayed again today with the PCO. Have you heard much about Temprid SC?

How do you best confirm for activity up high?

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 7:51:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

By contact killers I mean alcohol solutions and detergent solutions which can be applied in a focused way with a hand held spray bottle.

Anything else relies on a residual mode of action which has a shockingly poor efficiency in this type of situation.

I appreciate you want to fix things, that comes from not "taking action" because you feel its a "MUST" and that means planning actions rather than doing things that are immediate.

The best way to use the help you are being offered is to ask about things before you do them so you can get input. I can assure you I will tire of things being the other way around and just refer you back to what I have already put in the public domain on this issue.

David

10. bugnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 14:22:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David I do appreciate your guidance.

With regards to planning, we continue to see no activity and the point of entry (a front door in this instance) has been cleaned and all traces of the nest removed. What would you recommend as the next plain of action in this process? Do I start to return to a normal pattern with washing and cleaning or should I still be vacuuming etc everyday? I am just not sure what I should be looking for at this stage.
    Also on some of the more scarier sites I read initially it mentioned that they can continue to live on you, without visually seeing any active mites or biting ( we have had no bites thus far) is it likely that they are harboring on us? I can't seem to find clarity on the human feeding piece.

Thank you in advance.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

263,758 posts in 42,641 topics over 128 months by 18,716 of 19,249 members. Latest: scaredgirlbk, Jb3566, HoneyPunch