Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

BioWar: Spiders, Ants, and House Centipedes

(7 posts)
  1. outsmartbb

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 23:30:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone try this one yet... Buy 1,000 house spiders, crack that glass ant farm and free them, and buy 1,000 house centipedes and let them loose just after caulking all plumbing and putting the drain stoppers in, and just before sealing that door and windows up with polysheeting and carpet tape....

Take a week's vacation, come back to see every last bed bug dead from being ganged up on simultaneously by a few of its natural predators? After that, exterminate the spiders, ants and centipedes... any insect is easier to rid than the bed bugs.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 6:29:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I would advise you read a little more about the principles and practices of biological control, it's more complex than you assume and there are lots of valid lessons to be learned from previous experiments.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 12:24:58
    #

Login to Send PM

“Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time.”
    ― Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 14:36:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Nature illustrates biological control relationships between predator and prey quite well.

Perhaps what may be overlooked is that the predators would cease to exist if the predation rate upon the prey which they depend upon for sustenance is excessive to the point where the prey population plummets.

Of course, biological control efforts are based upon such predation and, often times, the artificial introduction of predatory species with the intent to reduce the population of a target pest.

Examples of this include the introduction/release of Asian Lady Beetle to control aphids and other plant feeding insects in the agricultural setting.

Units of 10,000, and greater, predatory beetles may be purchased and applied for fly control in poultry houses and similar settings.

And there are other such examples.

A significant problem to overcome is that the species purposely introduced cannot maintain its population long term such that repeated purchase and release become necessary.

However, this is not the case with Asian Lady Beetles which is one of the reasons their release is viewed as a success in some circles.

The red imported fire ant has spread across the Southern US and dominates the terrain in many locals. The discovery and release of the "decapitating fly" found in the RIFA's native land was viewed with promise yet has not been very successful in thwarting the continued growth of RIFA infested acreage.

The kudzu bug is also problematic as this critter feeds on soy beans and other desirable crop plants.

Further, we need to consider the appetite and actual feeding habits of such predators.

For example; while some spiders actively hunt their prey, others set up webs and wait in ambush.
    As such, it would seem that a hunting type spider would have a greater chance of encountering a bed bug than might an ambush web hunter type spider.

There are certainly many factors to consider and this thread might inspire the long intended video production of: "The Great Bed Bug Coliseum Games" where bed bugs are locked in a battle to the death against their selected arthropod combatants. Hail Cesar, cue cheering crowd sound track.

(Note, I'm thinkin fire ants would be a good first choice.)

Have a great day ! pjb

5. outsmartbb

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 17:53:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Nice one P Bello, and I was intending that myself - to give the spiders Crips tshirts, and the bed bugs already come with the Bloods gangster wardrobe. Set the video cameras up and let the gladiator games begin, and leave for a week's vacation. Cam monitor via a nanny-cam, and make any adjustments, if need be... maybe bring out the gangster of gangsters: the masked hunter (not sure it'd be worth returning home though to try to tame that... they bite painfully, and don't look easily leashed. Lmao.

6. outsmartbb

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 17:59:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Nastyass honey badger is a great video for any of us needing a laugh. It's on youtube. Just look at him gooo! I'm tempted to get an ant farm of aggressively feeding ants and let them free on the prowl. Ants are cute, and I'm fine if they want to enjoy a picnic together, as long as they pull their weight around the house.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 19:54:13
    #

Login to Send PM

outsmart,
    You are free to do whatever you like (assuming you live in a freestanding home you own yourself), but I would seriously advise anyone else from experimenting with this.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

270,586 posts in 44,061 topics over 134 months by 19,297 of 19,927 members. Latest: sobernoodles, ridmybedbugs, Napier99