Beware: BB's found inside a TV Stand!

(5 posts)
  1. Shawnean

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 22 2012 20:06:02
    #

Login to Send PM

My BB horror story began when visiting my disabled Stepfather at his home and I realized he had bedbugs. A company was brought in to treat the home and the belongings we didn't toss out and I took him home with me to stay while this was done over several weeks. My Stepfather eats/sleeps/spends his day/nights in a recliner and the infestation was mostly concentrated around his chair and living room where it was. Simple enough, thought we got rid of them! {We tossed his chair out) Because his roommate had moved out we decided it was best he stayed and lived with me since he was already at my home now. It was several months before we brought his treated belongings to my home. About six months later (this last Sept 11') one of my daughters said she thought she had a BB in her room and had bites. I have a tri-level home.. 3 bedrooms & bath up, open finished basement downstairs w/bath & laundry and the main floor with kitchen & living room. I inspected the three bedrooms, 2 rooms are my daughters and the third is my Stepfathers. Found a few live bugs in each of my girl's rooms but when I looked into my Stepfathers room I almost fell over. He rarely leaves his room, his tv is on 24/7, it's dark 24/7 and VERY warm. I could actually see them EVERYWHERE! 100's of them! I removed everyone (after making sure they were clean) and spent 6 weeks chasing them all down. His new chair was covered in every stage imaginable and was tossed again. Good old fashioned elbow grease was my main approach. Shop Vac, Rubbing Alcohol and sterilizing all clothing, bagging it and removal. I also placed glass jars under all legs of each bed in the house after inspecting the mattresses and such. (Not sure the jars stop them from climbing up but none of us has had any get onto our beds since). I did use chemicals a few times around the perimeters of the rooms but didn't really see it as effective and gave up with that. My constant cleaning and chasing was working.
    The main reason I post this is to let others know that the reason I believe they hitched a ride to my home is with my stepfathers TV stand. Because I wanted to be completely thorough in my cleaning and chasing them down I decided to take his tv stand apart to "just make sure". His tv stand is the type that swivels on the bottom and has glass covered doors with a shelf for electronic equipment. Black laminate over pressed wood. Once I had removed all pieces and got to the bottom board that the whole cabinet rolled on I noticed the holes (about the size of a half dollar) that held the balls to make the thing swivel were FILLED with all stages of BB's! The holes were open pressed wood and not covered in the laminate. I can't imagine the company that treated his home was able (or tried or thought) that they could be inside that part of the stand and it was never treated well enough. So beware, if you don't think it's possible for them to be there... STILL LOOK!
    After about 6 weeks of constant awareness and careful cleaning I felt we had it under control. I have never found or seen any BB's on the main floor (yet) and the only place downstairs is on the laundry/bathroom door (probably from doing the laundry and them escaping). I am still finding 1 - 2 BB's roughly every 2 -3 weeks. I'm frustrated and do not know what else to do. I cannot figure out where else they may be hiding and am currently looking into the heat treatment and a reputable company to do this. Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. Bedbug_Undertaker

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 23 2012 11:21:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I have actually come across an odd case where they had made themselves a comfortable home inside a portable television. I rung Mr Cain at Bed Bugs UK to ask if he would de-con the television, he thought I was joking until it arrived at his office. The fact the television was in a very heavily infested room on the floor might have something to do with how they'd managed to set up home in there. It did however, bring it home to me just how resilient these little bleeders are and, if they want to, the can make a home just about anywhere regardless.
    It's quite possible if the television has been on the stand they may be in there.
    I'm not sure how he de-contaminated the television, you'd need to ask David himself, but he did so successfully.

3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 23 2012 17:04:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Finding bed bugs in furnishings beyond the bed, couch and chair (such as in the wood frame of a TV cart) in an advanced infestation is not unusual.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 23 2012 21:35:26
    #

Login to Send PM

am currently looking into the heat treatment and a reputable company to do this. Any suggestions are appreciated!

If you are asking for recommendations for a thermal remediation it might help to post the area where you live. I seriously considered a thermal with A3 Superior. You could find this post if you check my history. Ultimately I decided against it. It's very expensive, especially if it appears you need to treat the entire home as may be the case. I'm not a professional however I've learned on the boards that thermal remediation can be the solution, but it must be handled by an extremely experienced and reputable co. Good luck.

5. DreDay17

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 24 2012 20:27:38
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsuptown - 22 hours ago  » 

am currently looking into the heat treatment and a reputable company to do this. Any suggestions are appreciated!

If you are asking for recommendations for a thermal remediation it might help to post the area where you live. I seriously considered a thermal with A3 Superior. You could find this post if you check my history. Ultimately I decided against it. It's very expensive, especially if it appears you need to treat the entire home as may be the case. I'm not a professional however I've learned on the boards that thermal remediation can be the solution, but it must be handled by an extremely experienced and reputable co. Good luck.

Thermal treatment just like chemical will not work if the infected area and surrounding sections is not treated also.

To the op...you can use DE dust to treat cracks and crevices. If your house has carpet flooring then you can LIGHTLY apply some of the dust along where the baseboard and carpet meet. You can also lightly created a little perimeter around your bed and any other potential areas where bedbugs may be present. Before you throw anything out it is imperative that you inspect, treat, re-inspect, and contain. Inspect to determine that if there is a active infestation such as live bugs or eggs. Treat to ensure eradication of the present bedbugs. Re-inspect to ensure that you have not missed any spots where bedbugs may be hiding. Contain so that any eggs or live bugs will not fall out and infest another part of your house upon removal.

I'm still going through my bedbug struggle but not to the degree of yours but DE dust has really help.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,692 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur