Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Best type of monitor post-treatment for my situation- Advice please and thanks!

(6 posts)
  1. bbmd

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 9:20:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I had my second steam/residual pesticide treatment. My PCO recommended the Volcano Sensci Monitors if I wanted to monitor afterwards. He will return in about 2 weeks to inspect again.

The initial infestation had been difficult to identify. Missed by another PCO on two inspections. Confirmed after I caught a bug running across my bed and then we found an area of fecals/eggs in one specific area on the bed frame

Since then I have thrown out my wooden bed frame and sleep on an encased mattress on the ground. In between treatments I had surrounded my bed with glue traps and had not caught anything.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I have to set up monitors post treatment? Or do some people just monitor bites/signs?

2. Given how difficult it was to identify initially- what is the best monitoring process? Glue traps? passive monitors? Sensci? I dont have a bed frame so monitor placement would be an issue

3. I visit my significant other in another city almost every weekend. He had his apartment inspected by a PCO and no signs were found. He has not had any bites. Should I have monitors in his apartment? I was planning on bringing my Zappbug to his place to heat any luggage he may have brought to my place. Of course when I go there I take extra precautions to bring only clean heat treated items in Ziplocs.

Thanks for your advice

2. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 12:06:39
    #

Login to Send PM

David Cain commented about those volcano things.... I also did a little research on them... me personally? I'd go with a passive monitor on the bed/couch/other sleeping areas. I actually tried calling the company about the volcano, asked what the active ingredients are... I don't want harsh chemicals around with kids and pets, ya know? They hung up on me. A month or so ago there was a user here on the forum that was name-dropping the Sensci left and right, and it wasn't being met with great responses.

1. I don't have passive monitors, because I can't afford them, so I continue to check 2x weekly and watch for bites. As soon as I can afford monitors, I'll have them everywhere. Seems like they are never a bad idea.

2. I still think passive monitors in occupied rooms is best. Mr Cain can help you with placement if you ask him.

3. Lol- again, I love me the idea of passive monitors! Honestly, they're like the greatest thing since sliced bread. And I'm sad I don't have them yet. (May have to call the Bank of dad)

Good luck with the rest of this! You and I started this whole drama around the same time, and it seemed so hopeless! I'm glad we're coming through on the other side!

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 13:18:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

To add to what has been said above. Weekends away you don't need to worry about active monitoring, long periods (5+ days) yes, but not for just a few.

There is advice for unframed beds on the forum, my site and FlickR feed.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. bbmd

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 15:09:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi psych and David

Thanks for all your help and advice. I had three questions re: passive monitors:

I am going to purchase the passive monitors- My encased mattress is directly on my carpeted floor (threw out the bed frame)

I read on one of your previous posts regarding placement " In cases where there is no bed frame the Passive Monitor is placed at the head end of the sleeping arrangement in the same orientation as the mattress with 50% of the monitor outside the mattress and 50% of it under the mattress."

1. Is ONE monitor at the head of the bed sufficient? Does it matter that I will be placing it directly under the mattress on the ground which is carpet?

2. I was also going to get one for my sofa just in case (bugs were confined to my wooden bed frame as far as I know)

3. I am frequently away on weekends (3-4 days at a time) I had picked up Ortho Home Defense monitors at a store. Would it be OK to use these as well?

https://www.ortho.com/smg/goprod/home-defense-bed-bug-trap/prod11950001

Thank you!

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 16:09:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes one per bed at the head end suffices.

If you have activity on the sofa is worth monitoring.

I cant really comment on the product you linked other than to say if it were of interest to me I would have tested it. That manufacturer does not exactly have the best reputation when it comes to things working.

David

6. bbmd

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 16:25:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,818 posts in 43,334 topics over 131 months by 18,996 of 19,572 members. Latest: April13Hincher, Bedbughell99, minicooper78