Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Belly buttons and bed bugs

(12 posts)
  1. biztrvler

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 27 2009 18:11:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Do bed bugs ever hitch a ride on the traveler / person's body, not just the clothes or luggage? Bugs and bites occurred in a hotel room. Came home, did laundry, hot dryers, etc. Then bites in belly area led me to ensure very clean navel area. Is it possible a bug could hide in there? (Sorry this is a repellant thought, but it is a small dark place.) Or I could be crazy.

Thank you for the great advice on this website.

2. MyWorstFear

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 27 2009 22:44:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sure someone will be along who can let you know about a bed bug hiding in your belly button (navel). How long ago were you in the hotel room? I'm asking because you can have a delayed reaction to the bites. Some people have said they didn't see the bites until 9 days after they were bitten.

3. biztrvler

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 28 2009 0:11:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Good thought. I was in the hotel room three long nights. First-time experience with bb so slow to recognize what was happening. (Bed / mattress looked clean.) Bugs of all kinds love me so bites were sporadic first night - fleas or spiders? - then very clear - linear line - second night. intense itching. Couldn't switch rooms. Hotel sold out, school group trip, it was complicated. Third night slept on towels which was useless, should have headed for the tub.

I had to drive six hours to get home, launder and lookup on the internet for advice. (This was the best site!) The next part is pretty weird and the only reason I'm describing is if this is true - a five-minute swab might help, doesn't hurt. The next morning my belly area had new rashy bites. Something - okay paranoia - compelled me to take q-tips, rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide to swab and soak my navel area (an 'innie'). Dank brownish stuff appeared, then an odd white thing, like half-size small grain of rice. Given navel lint, whatever....hey, I could be wrong. That said, I slept soundly and unbitten. Will see if my house had dodged the bullet. Thanks for the post.

4. MyWorstFear

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 28 2009 10:02:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess you didn't save that "odd white thing" because if you could photograph it, the experts here could tell you if it was an egg. If it was a nymph (baby) bed bug it would be reddish colored since it would have already bitten you. Keep checking your bed for signs for the next 2 months, especially on the bottom of the boxspring, the side closest to the floor. Hopefully you've managed to keep them out of your house with the steps you've taken. You can also report the hotel on the BedBug Registry so that other people can be warned, and on trip advisor as well.

5. biztrvler

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 28 2009 12:20:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Nope. Should have. It was pretty white, small oblong, soft and sticky. There was also odd small thing(casement - half of it?) Found similar sticky white object in folds of shoe, threw the pair away. Thanks will follow your advice on checking boxspring, other places, plus BedBug Registry. Glad you put timeframe of two months, never would have thought that long. This website is a godsend, thank you.

6. jennifer

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 30 2009 1:49:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, it is possible to have a bed bug in your belly button, it happened to me. I didn't know for a long time that it was there, maybe a year. Horrifying, isn't it? The day after it got in there, I felt something weird but didn't know what it was. I didn't even know what bed bugs were at the time. The bug stayed there and got big and swollen like a tick, but it felt fleshy. I asked my boyfriend about it and we thought it was a mole or something. It lived and died in there.

7. DrFrank

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 30 2009 4:18:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Well that's just... peachy.

Guess what I'm going to dream about tonight.

8. cantstandbedbugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 30 2009 11:39:12
    #

Login to Send PM

A year..OMG. That's crazy, why didn't you go to the doctor to check out if it was in fact a mole? I mean moles don't just appear they grow with time. So if you felt something fleshy that wasn't there before I would go to the doctor asap. Pretty scary that they can hide in there, which I think its possible since they wouldn't have to come out to feed. But I would also think it would've died sooner than a year when you washed your belly button with soap and water or when you dry it with a q-tip. It should've drown, been crushed or removed with the q-tip (you do wash your belly button right?? Please don't tell me you didn't wash it for a year cause that's just gross, it collects lint and smells bad if you don't).
    I put cotton balls in my ears since I had my bedbug infestion they are now gone and I hope it remains that way but I"m still paraniod and put cotton balls in my ear before bed. Someone on this board had one go in her ear and had babies in there. The eggs hatched the baby's came out. Now I guess I'll put them in my belly button too. I have a navel ring, I hope they can't get into that hole somehow. Great another thing to worry about.

9. SleeplessInVan

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 30 2009 13:50:09
    #

Login to Send PM

This (and the fact that my shower curtain is in a bag right now) is a part of why I have taken to just having long baths.

10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 30 2009 21:13:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, we've had a few posts about BB hiding in orifices; ears, folds, now navels.

Surprised no one's suggested Vikane, yet

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  11. jennifer

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 31 2009 0:43:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes I cleaned my belly button with a Qtip , but the "mole" was impeding my ability to do that effectively and it wasn't coming out when I tried removing it on several occasions. It was really lodged in there deep. I had an appointment with the doctor that day, and the morning before I went I finally got it out and realized it wasn't a mole but resembled a bug carcass! Then I thought back to that weird feeling occurring in my belly button and when the swelling started, and I put two and two together.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you think you are shocked and grossed out, think about how I feel! Glad I didn't go to the doctor, that's gross and embarassing Lol.

12. cantstandbedbugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 31 2009 20:51:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Jennifer,

Going to the doctor for a mole is not embarrassing at all. Actually you should because moles can be cancerous and I would think in a place like that it would be very hard to detect until its huge and by then it would be too late and the cancer would be at an advance stage and not treatable. So look at the bright side at least its not cancer, so be glad it was just a bedbug; it could've been much worst. And trust doctors have pulled out all kinds of stuff out of the human body. A Bedbug is one of the least embarrassing I'm sure Thank you for sharing what happen to you so we can watch out for that too.

CSBB

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.