Being bit in computer chair

(8 posts)
  1. TeeB

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 2:35:19
    #

Login to Send PM

So ever since I woke up with about three or four bites clustered on each of my hands, I've been sleeping downstairs in my computer chair. I recently got a new reclining one with a leg rest. It has smooth plastic legs, the back part of the chair is see through with holes. It's easy to see between all the cracks.

For the first nights I woke up without a bite on me. Except for an isolated incident where I got one itchy bite on the side of my thigh and two on my feet, I was able to sleep comfortably at that time with the light turned off and know that I'd be fine.

Up until the night my mom saw a tiny bug crawling on her bed sheets we assumed they were mosquito bites. We thought maybe some had been hiding and coming out to get us at night - she even made a trap for them) but now I feel like my worst nightmare's come to life.

I don't understand it, this has been going on since maybe October and we've seen no evidence of bed bugs on our sheets. I also don't see anything living in my computer chair but I wake up with bites even though I sleep fully clothed with a snuggie wrapped around me on top of that. I'm sleepy, I keep feeling a skin crawling sensation on me (but when I look, nothing is there) and I'm trying so hard not to let the anxiety and sadness take over. I really want to ask my dad or my boyfriend if I can stay over their places at night until we get rid of these things but I'm afraid they might judge me or be grossed out.

Before I considered the possibly of bed bugs though, I'd accidentally napped in my bed, got bitten, went to my boyfriends house and sat in his bed with the same clothes on... Now when I go over there, to work or anywhere else, I shower, wash and dry from 60 to 90 minutes beforehand. I shake the clothes out first, put them on right before leaving and make sure not to sit down at home anywhere in them. When I do sleep at my boyfriend's, I don't notice any bites the next day so I don't think they're attaching themselves to my clothes.

We're using spray around the house now. My mom let me know that the bug she saw didn't look anything like the ones in the pictures, but that she might not be able to tell as it was so small. The other day she said she was afraid I might go crazy from the lack of sleep as I usually wait until daylight then sleep for about 4 hours in my chair before work. Meanwhile my mom is brave enough to just go to sleep in her bed with the light turned off... I don't know how she does it.

2. TeeB

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 2:41:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry this post isn't well written at all. I'm tired. There's a crazy wind storm going on right now and I almost had a heart attack because the power cut off for a second while I was typing... I don't know what I would have done if it stayed off. Omg, the horror.

But anyway if it means anything, I saw a black beetle in my house this morning. A while ago I also woke up with one on my sleeve.

3. Poiqm

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 3:12:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sure you'll get good advice for bug treatment. I wanted to share what I did to get some sleep.... I have confirmed bed bugs and when I first found them on the bed, just like you spent every night awake and stressed and paced all night until daylight and exhausted then barely slept sitting up at my desk. I could not lay on that bed. And I couldn't afford the things needed to fix the bed. I finally put a sheet of 4mil plastic over my mattress letting it drape over but not touch walls or floor, and then flat sheets and blankets over that, and have slept bite-free since. The first few sleeps were horrible and I woke often looking around for bed bugs. Now I can sleep several hours, although I do still look around for bugs when waking. I also sleep with the light on.

I don't know what the black beetles are but if they crawl, and don't jump, maybe you can get some rest using the plastic that I described.

I was getting bit at the desk and for a while used plastic over the chair but that was such a pain to work around so I threw out my soft chair with a zillion hiding places and bought a bench which is easy to "sanitize", and isolated my desk and chair from the floor with traps. When working at the desk I sit with my feet inside plastic containers to prevent climb ups.

All of this is in conjunction with other treatment, primarily cimexa in every tiny crack and crevice, sprays, and traps.

4. TeeB

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 4:18:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 25 minutes ago  » 
    I'm sure you'll get good advice for bug treatment. I wanted to share what I did to get some sleep.... I have confirmed bed bugs and when I first found them on the bed, just like you spent every night awake and stressed and paced all night until daylight and exhausted then barely slept sitting up at my desk. I could not lay on that bed. And I couldn't afford the things needed to fix the bed. I finally put a sheet of 4mil plastic over my mattress letting it drape over but not touch walls or floor, and then flat sheets and blankets over that, and have slept bite-free since. The first few sleeps were horrible and I woke often looking around for bed bugs. Now I can sleep several hours, although I do still look around for bugs when waking. I also sleep with the light on.
    I don't know what the black beetles are but if they crawl, and don't jump, maybe you can get some rest using the plastic that I described.
    I was getting bit at the desk and for a while used plastic over the chair but that was such a pain to work around so I threw out my soft chair with a zillion hiding places and bought a bench which is easy to "sanitize", and isolated my desk and chair from the floor with traps. When working at the desk I sit with my feet inside plastic containers to prevent climb ups.
    All of this is in conjunction with other treatment, primarily cimexa in every tiny crack and crevice, sprays, and traps.

Thank you so much for your reply. It's nice to actually hear from someone other than mum who knows what I'm going through.

I will definitely check this plastic out but the thing, is I don't have a headboard for my bed or anything. I have one other mattress resting on top of and my mother has two underneath hers. She's got a wooden headboard. I'm assuming this makes it impossible for a cover to work unless we put one on each mattress?

What kind of plastic containers do you use for your feet? Do you just put your bare feet in them? I've read that they can't get up on plastic easily but the legs on my chair are plastic and I sleep with my feet up on the pull out cushion so I dont know what's going on.

I seriously need to find the strength to go to sleep. I feel crazy right now.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 4:51:02
    #

Login to Send PM

If you use 4 mil thick plastic sheeting, you could also include alternate places for them to go, such as monitors. Folded paper towel sheets or fan-folded paper sheets (about 1/2 inch folds and paper clip ends) that will give them crevices to hide in and you can unfold to see if they are hiding there.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Poiqm

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 5:11:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Just drape a big piece of 4mil painters plastic over the entire bed, like a table cloth. Don't let it touch walls or furniture, or the floor.

I use a plastic dish pan for one foot and a plastic food storage container for one foot. (All I had at the moment. lol)

Bed bugs can't climb smooth packing tape so you could wrap a piece around each leg of the chair and foot stool as extra barrier. I use it on various items such as shelf legs, my dog's cot legs, chair legs' etc., in conjunction with traps.

But you need to confirm they are bed bugs, too.

7. TeeB

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 6:20:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, thank you guys for the help. I will pass this info along to my mom. I know they have a bunch of those plastic food storage bowls at family dollar for a low price so I will definitely try that.

8. Poiqm

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 13:21:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck! You still need to treat the problem and kill the bugs. Just protecting yourself from bites won't fix it as adult bed bugs can live a long time without food. From the description it doesn't sound like bed bugs though so If you find another one catch it and get pictures.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

249,998 posts in 39,942 topics over 121 months by 17,492 of 17,820 members. Latest: dazedandconfused, Lor443, Tarapi