Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Bed Bug Venting and a few Questions

(3 posts)
  1. TerrifiedHunter

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 5:26:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm currently going through my 3rd bed bug crisis, 2nd one in this apartment. I'm 22 and constantly paranoid that I have bed bugs as soon as I get a bite. Tonight I found one on my PJ pants and instantly went on the hunt to find more. I checked all the creases of my mattress and box spring and found no further evidence. My panic attack has simmered down, but I'm still sick to my stomach and down right terrified to sleep.

I did get out my steamer and steamed my entire bed. I do have holes in my matress and box springs from moving and I'm worried that means I'm doomed.

The last time we had them here (about 4 months ago) my landlord had our apartment sprayed and from everything I've read the only way to efficiently kill bed bugs is heat or freezing cold. Which, again, terrified me, but I was bite free up until a week ago.

I also have 3 cats that I don't want to risk carrying bugs with them when we leaving for the exterminators to spray, any advice on that?

I'm just scared and looking for reassurance, I really don't want to lose everything I have over these blood-sucking pests.

2. barelyliving

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 7:58:15
    #

Login to Send PM

IDk if this is just me, but I can't see anything here.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 0:54:36
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 16 hours ago  » 
    IDk if this is just me, but I can't see anything here.

The post was in the spam filter.

Terrifiedhunter,

It's not true that heat and freezing are the only treatments that work. In fact, freezing technology (if you mean Cryonite) is a contact killer, and heat treatment so often leaves stragglers alive that pros who use heat typically back it up with sprays or dusts.

If you had a spray treatment and did not have any bed bug problems for four months, there's a good chance that the treatment worked and this is a new introduction.

It's worth talking to the landlord about getting attached neighbors a professional inspection.

Consider also whether you may have gotten them from outside the building -- most likely twice from the same place.

I am not a pro but giving the cat a careful brushing and visual inspection should suffice. Bed bugs don't tend to harbor on pets. Pay a lot of attention to bedding or carrier, make sure they are clean and clear. A hard carrier can be sprayed inside and cleaned as you would normally, which will probably suffice. Bedding can be washed on hot or dried on hot as you would with clothing. The FAQs give advice on how not to spread bed bugs when you stay somewhere else.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

253,537 posts in 40,563 topics over 124 months by 17,751 of 18,112 members. Latest: gabbyr, waterhead, Brokegradstudent