Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Bedbugs or Fleas? I don't know what I have but its biting me!

(6 posts)
  1. Nitogumi

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2008 1:01:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, so I'm pretty sure my room is infested with...something. And that something might be Bedbugs. It started a week ago with me waking up with bites, mosquitoes, I thought, but it is too early in the year for them. I thought it might be fleas, but we have a dog and she's not scratching one bit. I think I brought whatever it is into my house with a few used clothes I brought into my house (but didn't wash because it a. seemed silly since I expected the store to have washed things and b. because we're in a drought here in Georgia). All I know is that I wakeup with bites, I sit on by bed and get bites in the middle of the day, I've gotten bites writing this post and I haven't seen one bug, one bit of bug poop, or ANYTHING to tell me that the crap I have and it's driving me crazy. Right now I have an infection, I'm covered in bites, and I have a cold. I'm so dosed up on medicine I'm not sure how the bugs have survived drinking my blood. I am a senior in High School and I live at home with my parents, they have not been very helpful since they don't get bitten. We're getting the exterminator in soon for an ant problem and I'm hoping to get my room sprayed. That would help, right? I've washed everything on my bed but I'm still getting bitten! Most of my bedding is on the floor to keep it safe, and I'm sleeping with the bare essentials. My mattress is white and only a few years old and I haven't seen one bug yet. Also, I have a metal bed so I don't have a headboard for them to hide behind. Since I'm being bitten now with the lights on I do not know if it is bed bugs or something else. I took pictures of my bites just in case to see what you think it is. It's not great quality, but I tried.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/5269/bugbites001ra1.jpg
    http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4674/bugbites003hm3.jpg

Argh, I have another huge bite on my leg, it happened in the last minute and I found something which may or may not be a bed bug. It's small and white, 1mm maybe, with a dark center. It could also be a spot of dust, I'm not sure. I'm about to go stark raving mad if I don't stop itching. If I could figure out exactly what this is it would make me feel a lot better.

2. completelybuggedout

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2008 7:25:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I was just wondering after reading your post and looking at your pictures if the possibility exists that you could be having an allergic reaction to whatever medication you are on (hives). Did the "bites" occur before or after you started taking your medicine? It is impossible to identify bb just by looking at bites as everyone reacts differently to them if at all. Another thing is, if your parents are having your house sprayed for ants, I would ask the exterminator to inspect your room for the bb before he sprays for ants. If in fact you do have bb, spraying of any chemicals not specifically designed for bb can disperse them and cause a much bigger problem. Its easy enough to find out if fleas are an issue by using those plug in flea detectors....plug a few in your room and see what you catch within a few days time. Check the pictures of bb, nymphs, and eggs posted on this site and try to compare what it is you "caught" in your room. Don't throw whatever it is away but put it in a ziploc bag to show the exterminator when he comes. I wish I could have helped more, its just that the possibilities are endless as to what could in fact be biting you right now. Also, to rule out an allergy to dust mites, and to be on the safe side, I would have your parents to buy you a cover for your mattress and boxspring. Let us know what you find out and good luck!

3. bugbasher

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2008 17:45:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Nitogumi,
    What you found MAY be a bb baby,take a look at the pictures on another thread called "picture of nymph hatching" and see if it's the same bug.The nymph's are tiny , 1mm is The right size and they are clear with a dark spot in the middle.

4. persona-non-bugga

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 17 2008 12:37:53
    #

Login to Send PM

aw, nitogumi, this sucks.

Just an FYI, you mentioned putting things on the floor to protect them. I know they're called bed bugs, but they can hide anywhere - in other furniture, clothing, piles of papers, behind walls, etc. Think any crevice that's wide enough for the thickness of a business card to pass through. Sadly, the floor isn't a safezone.

Follow completelybugged's advice about seeing if that exterminator will inspect your room for bedbugs.

If that doesn't work out for some reason, consider going on the hunt yourself. Get a flashlight (& a magnifying glass if you can). If that used clothing really was what brought the bugs in, I'd start following that trail. Start the search at the location where you first stored those used clothes. Pull drawers out, sweep the crevices with a business card ... see if anything comes up.

Keep talking to your parents. Show them that big reaction you have on your leg. If the bedbugs have only been in your home for a short while, you guys have the best chance of getting rid of these things. So, it's important that your parents understand this is problem that can't be allowed to fester. Bedbugs aren't seasonal like mosquitoes. They don't leave a property on their own.

5. bugbasher

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Mar 18 2008 8:55:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Nitogumi,
    It's also quite easy to check the dog for fleas.Take the hair and move it away from the skin,wher the hair meets the skin(if there are fleas) you will see what looks like pepper on the skin itself.You have to check the whole body,but it doesn't take more than 10 min. to do.If you find any pepper like substance you have to wet it to differentiate it from dirt.If it's from fleas it's dried blood and when wet it will turn red.You can also get a flea comb and comb the hair making sure to get domn to the skin,if there are fleas you will catch them in the comb.The other option is to give the dog a flea bath and if the water turns a rusty brown color(dried blood mixed with water) then it's fleas.Good luck

6. angie

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Mar 18 2008 10:27:13
    #

Login to Send PM

The apartment we moved into had a small flea problem when we moved in. Poor Rili has never had so many baths. I had the property manager pick me up some flea powder from the pet store(I paid) and sprinkled on the basement carpet. So far so good. The only thing that irritates me is that when we were in the midst of our bb infestation, we became non-reactors and so just little pin-pricks is all we would find. Now every once and a while, a little pin-prick. It is really hard to convince myself that it is only a flea bite and not a re-infestation of bb's. There was only one piece of furniture we brought from the old apartment and it sat out in the garage for about a month and was thoroughly inspected beforehand. Them bedbugs sure do know how to mess with your mind, don't they? I just keep hoping and praying for the best and have to keep positive that the fleas are the ones doing the dirty little deed.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

192,821 posts in 29,736 topics over 91 months by 12,859 of 20,149 members. Latest: DarthUnit, redfruit, JEPA