Bedbugs in used RV!!?? [expert stain ID needed]

(7 posts)
  1. Bugnme

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 2 2017 20:31:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought a used RV and when I was looking at a mattress topper that came with it I noticed stains that seemed like they could be bedbug related. I had a pest control company come out and check it. He said the mattress topper did look like signs of them, but he could not find any other signs anywhere on the topper or anywhere in the RV. I went ahead and scheduled a spraying to have it treated before we use it. Still nervous about putting my family in it. There were dead flies around the camper and I thought maybe that could be the cause. The guy I bought it from is very adamant that he never has had or previously dealt with them. Could use some advice with these pictures. These spots are in multiple places on the matress topper which has been removed from the RV and the mattress is in on of those covers. Could this be from anything else than bedbugs?

2. HifromChi

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 3 2017 9:09:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Those stains would bother me too, the middle photo looks a lot like the fecal matter I had with my infestation, my mattress cover looked like someone took the tip of black felt marker and dotted the fabric, it would smear upon wiping. There is a test kit you can use called "Bed Bug Blue" that will tell you whether it is bed bug fecal matter or not, I've included the link below, you can purchase it on Amazon.

https://www.bedbugsupply.com/Bed-Bug-Blue-Fecal-Matter-Test-Kit_p_175.html

You're being smart about being leery, an once of prevention in this case, will save you many pounds of potential trouble later.

Best of luck to you...

3. Bugnme

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 3 2017 9:50:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I have heard of that we bug blue, but will it work if the stains are old or the topper has been washed? The technician was pretty thorough and couldn’t find any eggs or skins or anything. I have heard that flies can leave similar stains. Can anybody weigh in on that?

4. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 3 2017 11:21:41
    #

Login to Send PM

An exterminator shouldn't treat when they don't know what they're treating for. I'd be concerned that they're willing to spray chemicals when they don't even know what they're targeting. I'm many jurisdictions, that's actually illegal.

5. Bugnme

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 3 2017 11:40:20
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 6 minutes ago  » 
    An exterminator shouldn't treat when they don't know what they're treating for. I'd be concerned that they're willing to spray chemicals when they don't even know what they're targeting. I'm many jurisdictions, that's actually illegal.

I have used this company for many years and he told me the mattress topper did look like the signs of bedbugs, but he couldn’t find any other indications anywhere. I was worried about them being down in some crack somewhere and asked him if he would go ahead and treat it like a case of bedbugs. He told me after 2-4 hours the chemicals dry and are not harmful. I figured it’s better to take a preemptive action than to get in there and find out for sure.

6. HifromChi

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 3 2017 13:56:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Fecal stains are enough to treat in Illinois, so if your PCO agreed that the stains look suspicious, and he's willing to treat, I would do it if I were in your shoes. The alternative is you ignore your gut, load your family into the RV, and then bring the bed bugs into your main home, then you're talking a lot more money and time and energy. Not to mention the kick you'll want to give yourself for not doing more when the potential issue was much smaller to deal with.

7. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 20:52:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Right, but the stains have not been positively identified as bed bug fecal. Just that they look like they could be.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7