Bedbugs in my WATERBED!

(30 posts)
  1. ambushed9

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue May 9 2017 15:44:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely have bed bugs somewhere in the bed. It's a king size waterbed with mirrored headboard with shelves, lights, and cubby on a wood frame with double stacked drawers with a full length crawl space between the two sides. The bladder mattress sits inside a (very wrinkly) liner with a heater. No feet for interceptors, pretty sure that an encasement will not work. It sits on a shag area rug.

Can we empty the bladder mattress, remove the liner and heater and treat directly on the wood frame and headboard with Drione? Should we replace the liner? It has LOTS of wrinkles for good hiding places...

I have woken up with bites, the first time I caught one crawling on me as I woke up. An adult that had not yet fed. Freaked me out, badly! I killed it, no blood. The bites itch like crazy!!! Two days later I slapped an itch (again as I was waking) and it was another adult, this time full of blood. ICK! Did an inspection with my parents who had worked through one really awful infestation and a second lesser one a couple of years later. We didn't find any evidence anywhere, but I don't think we were as careful as we could have been.

It's been a (hideously itchy!) week and in that time we've emptied all drawers, vacuumed with an Atrix and dusted with Drione. Working on a way to keep clothes bb free for wearing and storing the rest in a bb-free place. Got new white sheets and have a early morning routine where we get up, hunt the covers for bugs/stains/castings etc. The last two mornings we've found a few live bugs in the bed on the sheets, adults down to the really teeny tiny ones. We squirt them with alcohol and watch them die - evil little bloodsuckers!

Lawdy, I am creeped out. I get bites though it looks like the husband doesn't. But at least now he believes me that we have a problem since we see the bugs on the bed. Ugh. Can't seem to find their hide-out, though?

Looks like this will be a huge undertaking. It's a 5 br house with a crowded basement/laundry and a houseful of almost adult kids who think they have better things to do than clean up their stuff and comply with what sounds like it needs to be a very regimented extermination protocol.

Not enough $$ to handle expensive professional treatment. Gotta try and make this work on our own. Anyone else ever had to treat a waterbed for bb's? Any suggestions?

If I put mattress encasements on all the kids bed what kind should I get?
    I don't have a steamer, will vacuuming regularly and using the powder do well enough?
    So far, we've not seen any sign of bbs anywhere else in the house, though I have taken apart the living room, upside downed the furniture to vacuum, and dusted the baseboards and inside the nooks and crannies of the couches, corners, behind stuff, as well as I can. Not sure if I'll ever be able to pin down where they came from...

A practical plan is what I need. Been reading on here a lot but there's just so MUCH stuff to read, I'm overwhelmed.

Sorry for the novella. Any help appreciated.
    *feeling creeped out, exhausted, and frustrated.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue May 9 2017 17:50:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes, there is lots to read, but its worth it.

Let me explain why.

The time you take means you could resolve the issue without too much external input.

Yes, its not easy, that's why professionals charge.

Yes, your house full will need to play some role in this but almost adults will generally know a little hard work for a short burst is better than a long painful drawn out slog.

For now just vacuum and inspect / monitor which will contain things. With that foundation knowledge and so more accurate images / data to show the level of activity you are facing we can better advise beyond what you can read fastest in the static sections.

Also, always worst posting to confirm visually because its much higher than 1 in 100 who get it wrong and its best to avoid any unnecessary work in the first place.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. ambushed9

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed May 10 2017 10:13:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David. I am hoping that we are not spreading them all over the place and by getting on it quickly and fiercely we can stop them before things get crazy. I LOVE that Atrix vacuum, gotta say.

I'll try and post a pic or two later today after work. I'm sure it's bed bugs, but given all the photos I've seen on here of people asking for bug ID's it's good to be sure. I'll put up a couple of the bed, too, so you can see what we're dealing with.

Meanwhile, I'll see if I can search for good mattress encasements to try and head off any spreading to other beds.

And guess what...? There's another waterbed in the basement...

Thanks again,
    Shari

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed May 10 2017 12:03:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If its similar to the waterbeds I have worked on in the past there is no benefit from an encasement as the outer layer of the mattress is already "wipe clean". I will see if I still have images from those cases to compare with if needed. They are a highly unusual bed type in the UK so i would not have worked on one without documenting some features.

The time consuming element was the draining and filling which was planned for before I arrived.

Lets focus on this simple step for now:

• Vaccuming is good and will limit things
    • Planning for the big push means you can get it done correctly and only need to do it the once

The only other side the equation then is the "don't bring more home" and that's where education and "personal responsibility" for the almost adults is the best way forward. It also helps if they don't pick up on your stress because you are the organized "one in control".

The one int he basement way not have a problem but having tackled one, the second will just be "rinse and repeat".

David

5. ambushed9

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed May 10 2017 14:42:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Too late for them not to have picked up on my stress!

Will post photos later.
    Thanks for your help.

6. ambushed9

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed May 10 2017 20:16:43
    #

Login to Send PM

King size waterbed. Photos of bugs will have to wait for tomorrow morning. Sorry...

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 11 2017 7:41:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Picking up on the stress and learning from a good example often go hand in hand.

Imagine the scenario:

You: Sorry I was stress, its because this is one of those things that triggers my anxiety and I got consumed by it for a while, but now I am back and we are going to tackle this in the best way we know how, as a family and through understanding and supporting each other.

Them: Hopefully yes but maybe just "whatever".

Either way it can be used as a good example of why its always best to stop and take on new information rather than rushing headlong into an issue. Not that you can rush with a waterbed treatment, they take more planning than other types of bed.

But on with the task at hand. Please can you list the resources you have at your disposal including time you can spend working on this in solid stretches.

We can then look at adapting what you have available to what we know works and take it from there.

David

8. ambushed9

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 11 2017 9:23:09
    #

Login to Send PM

What we've done so far:
    Reading, reading, reading...
    Inspected with parents who are familiar with bb's. Found zero evidence.
    Cleaned, vacuumed, dusted with Drione, and encased one daughter's room to use as clean space.
    Same as above for living room. (not the encasing part)
    Cleaned, vacuumed and dusted our room (ground zero).
    Washed, dryed and bagged all my clothes - still working on hubby's.
    Washed and dryed on hot/high heat for an hour, all bedding.
    Got a white sheet set so we can easily see bugs and collect them.
    Collecting each morning and putting bugs in white cup, then killing with alcohol. Clean cup each day.
    Washing the sheets each day. Vacuuming as often as possible around the bed- every couple days.

Decided it would be good to test if the Drione actually killed the bugs so we dusted them in the cup, covered with cling wrap and waited to see. Within an hour all bugs were DEAD!!!! Yippee!! So at least we know that it will affect the crawling ones. Have yet to see any eggs, so don't know.

Photo below of bugs collected this morning. It's not a good closeup - couldn't figure out the zoom on my phone. This is the most we've found yet. {{{shivers}}}

Husband works all day 5 days a week, kids each have their own schedule, only two are on a regular schedule. I have afternoons free during the week, off on weekends.

I'd like to know how to draw these things out, how to find where they're hiding so we can be sure to get the dust where it needs to go!
    Also, how to keep from bringing them all over the house. Husband took socks from his dresser this am and found a bug crawling under his pants. Not good. Got a lot to do this weekend!

9. ambushed9

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 11 2017 9:24:25
    #

Login to Send PM

[img] photo 5_11_17ambugs_zps5nscxv2a.jpg[/img]

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 11 2017 9:43:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK so light and contained. This is all good and not as bad as it first appears.

In terms of dealing with things, sometimes less is more. There is no point in doing daily cleaning around if you are using dusts. Weekly inspections and cleaning would be better. If you look at what I have made available online in a document called TbyPMR (just google TbyPMR bed bugs andit will appear).

My focus would be more towards the occupants of the infested rooms and how they are introducing bed bugs to the location. To be clear this is not to blame, this is to stop the introduction. TbyPMR has a section on infestation dynamics which will help explain this.

I would look out for any access to a high heat low pressure steamer, a normal steamer is less appropriate than a vacuum cleaner so skip if you cant get an optimal one.

I would also suggest reading up on monitoring for the rooms with no issues and how that can also help limit your current issue as we do as a QC to our commercial service.

I would estimate a 4 - 6 hours run through on the infested rooms will knock 85% of it out of the way but you may have to repeat that cycle a few times to get 100% even if you don't get additional introductions.

The game plan being while you focus on the rooms that are an issue EVERYONE in the home takes ownership for their own rooms and steps to avoid future/further introduction. Its a simple model for personal responsibility and helping people to appreciate their actions can and often do have consequences.

Once you have washed through and processed the clothes in the issue rooms that does not need to be added to each cycle, you will find activity is limited to around the sleeping area, which will be their preference.

Hope that helps.

David

11. bedbugsbugme

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 11 2017 11:18:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Assuming this is a waterbed that can heat up. How hot can it go? Would that work to flush any from hiding? David?

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  12. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 11 2017 11:20:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I know you don't have a Captain's Bed, but given what looks like a platform bed with an old attached headboard with drawers, etc, this post may be relevant:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/o-captain-bed-my-captain-bed

I didn't post this to add to your stress, but rather to point out that certain types of bed setups are significantly more challenging to treat than others so more work and patience are in order. That, or getting out of the 70's and going for a more contemporary and easier to treat bed setup

Excerpt from Winston O. Buggy (PCO):

"...captains beds, platform beds and other similar sleeping platforms still present as difficult to inspect and treat."

Richard

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 11 2017 11:39:38
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Assuming this is a waterbed that can heat up. How hot can it go? Would that work to flush any from hiding? David?

Nice idea but not feasible.

They cant get hot enough.

David

14. ambushed9

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 11 2017 18:14:06
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 6 hours ago  » 

That's an interesting thought, but I'd hate to try to sleep on it at 120F!

Thanks for the link Richard! My husband pointed out an area I'd missed during our morning bb offensive today. There's hardboard on the back of the headboard that covers a great, gaping maw of darkness back there that I just can't get to. We'll have to take the headboard off (disassembling) and take that board off.
    *sigh.

OK so light and contained. This is all good and not as bad as it first appears.

If this is 'light' I'm going to really freak if it gets much worse...gah!

There was a post I made (another novella, sorry) that got lost before that cup photo. I'll go back and see if I can find it. For your viewing pleasure, and all, yanno...

Thanks everyone. It helps to have some contact with others who know what it's like. This isn't something I want to share with all my friends and family.

Shari

15. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 11 2017 18:21:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Shari,

I wasn't going to mention taking it apart because I didn't know if you want to put in that time. But if so inclined, I'd break it into as many pieces as possible to facilitate treatment. You could go even further and heat treat some of the smaller pieces in a portable heat chamber device or what won't fit could be treated in a sealed bin (or large bag) with DDVP strips or Cirkil (rag in bag protocol). I also would drain the water before treating the bladder itself because if I remember they are almost impossible to move filled up. The bladder probably could be treated with a contact spray or wash, and/or heat treated (check with manufacturer) or the other protocols mentioned. This might require an alternate sleeping situation during treatment (maybe an air mattress) but I would set that up where the bed is to contain the infestation to the same spot while you continue to act as bait. Just make sure there are some easy to treat harborages left near the sleeping area so that they will not start to harbonage too far away. I'm thinking like some flat corrugated under or around the bed, especially the head area, that could be inspected, disposed of, and replaced.

Richard

16. ambushed9

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 11 2017 18:31:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Found it. The back button is the coolest time machine. LOL!

What we've done so far:
    Reading, reading, reading...
    Inspected with parents who are familiar with bb's. Found zero evidence.
    Cleaned, vacuumed, dusted with Drione, and encased one daughter's room to use as clean space.
    Same as above for living room. (not the encasing part)
    Cleaned, vacuumed and dusted our room (ground zero).
    Washed, dryed and bagged all my clothes - still working on hubby's.
    Washed and dryed on hot/high heat for an hour, all bedding.
    Got a white sheet set so we can easily see bugs and collect them.
    Collecting each morning and putting bugs in white cup, then killing with alcohol. Clean cup each day.
    Washing the sheets each day. Vacuuming as often as possible around the bed- every couple days.

Decided it would be good to test if the Drione actually killed the bugs so we dusted them in the cup, covered with cling wrap and waited to see. Within an hour all bugs were DEAD!!!! Yippee!! Of course, they all got pretty well coated since I puffed it right onto them in the cup. At least we know that it will affect the crawling ones. Have yet to see any eggs, so don't know.

Photo below of bugs collected this morning (see photo of bugs in cup above). It's not a good closeup - couldn't figure out the zoom on my phone. This is the most we've found yet. {{{shivers}}}

Husband works all day 5 days a week, kids each have their own schedule, only two are on a regular schedule. I have afternoons free during the week, off on weekends.

I'd like to know how to draw these things out, how to find where they're hiding so we can be sure to get the dust where it needs to go!
    Also, how to keep from bringing them all over the house. Husband took socks from his dresser this am and found a bug crawling under his pants. Not good. Got a lot to do this weekend! Daughter graduating college tomorrow, too.

Husband has been the designated bait this last week. I'm sleeping on the nice, clean, treated leather couch in the living room. Still miss my waterbed, though. You'll have to pry my cold, dead body out if it when I'm gone (or when I'm too creaky to get in it anymore!) Sleeping on couches was more fun when I was a kid.

17. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 11 2017 19:23:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Husband has been the designated bait this last week. I'm sleeping on the nice, clean, treated leather couch in the living room.
    -------------
    Not sure if this is such a good idea. The concept is to get the bed bugs to move toward ground zero (bed area) where you will concentrate your treatment. By sleeping on the treated couch, you may be attracting some bed bugs to the couch area which will disperse the bugs as opposed to concentrating them near the bed. Because of this, unless you have interceptors on the couch, and have been careful, you might want to inspect the couch again to make sure some bugs haven't already migrated there.

Richard

18. ambushed9

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 11 2017 22:12:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Crap, Richard. I just can't handle the bites. They swell and itch like mad. Scratched myself bloody in a couple of places at night. Benadryl and anti-itch cream really don't do much so I spend 5-7 days trying not to scratch. I'll do it again and will be as careful as I know how to be.

I'd rather do the living room every day than get bit, but that's really not a realistic option so I may have to deal with the bugs. Dano (the husband) doesn't seem to react to the bugs biting him which makes me feel less guilty, a little. The bedroom is on the second floor, the living room is directly beneath it on the ground floor.

Will get on the living room again this weekend and make sure to get all the clothing wash/dried and removed from the bedroom dressers, etc. Guess I can practice the 10 item wardrobe routine for a while.

Shari

19. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu May 11 2017 22:55:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I just see sleeping on the couch spreading the infestation toward the living room.

Here's a thought. Get yourself an inexpensive fold up camping cot that has legs and position it in the bedroom near but not touching the waterbed.

Here's a link to something I'm talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000003209-Trailhead-II-Cot/dp/B003696236/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1494557564&sr=1-4&keywords=camping+cot

Isolate the cot with interceptors like ClimbUps on each of the six legs. If you're careful, the cot will not get infested and the bugs will not get to you. If it does get infested, much easier to treat than your waterbed setup. That, or maybe you can sleep at a friends.

I got a similar cot several years ago when I thought I had an infestation. Turned out I didn't but it was a relief to be able to go to sleep at night not worrying about being bitten. It's also a pretty good monitoring device with the ClimbUps.

I actually put the folded cot in a portable heat chamber device to make sure it was bed bug free, but if you're careful from the beginning, and isolate it right away, you probably should be fine.

FWIW, while it didn't look like it would be, the sling design was very comfortable.

Richard

20. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 4:12:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi ambushed9,

Sorry Richard56 has given you misleading information there, please ignore at least the last 2 of his messages above.

Richard56, giving inaccurate information actually consumes a vast amount of time where others must come along and correct you. It would be a lot more helpful if you were to signpost people to good information rather than offering opinions in a way that gives an impression you actually know what you are doing.

David

21. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 8:57:45
    #

Login to Send PM

B-B: Sorry Richard56 has given you misleading information there…It would be a lot more helpful if you were to signpost people to good information rather than offering opinions in a way that gives an impression you actually know what you are doing.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Ambushed,

Sorry you have to be subjected to another one of B-B’s ad hominem attacks. Not coincidentally, his post comes one day after I posted support for another member B-B is currently at odds with. Thread here:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/nightwatch-plus-beacon-monitors

But back to your issue. Sleeping on a Livingroom couch to avoid being bitten during treatment is a common and understandable mistake people make. The problem again is that doing so can then attract bugs to the livingroom which is not what you want. My cot idea is just one of many ways to handle the situation. It helped me out years ago, and I wanted to share it with you. Do hope you the best getting things resolved.

Richard

22. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 10:15:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard,

The mistake is not reading that husband is remaining in the room.

Bed bugs are equal opportunity feeders and at least one person MUST remain in the room. In this case as the OP has a more severe reaction they are taking that break. Thus it will not reduce treatment efficiency and may actually enhance things as a better nights sleep means better attention to detail and lower anxiety.

I can assure you I would correct anyone that made this mistake so please don't feel that it was directed at you and int he same vein it would be classified as "straw man" not ad hominem.

David

23. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 10:35:08
    #

Login to Send PM

B-B: The mistake is not reading that husband is remaining in the room.
    ---------------------------------
    But I did read that. By having one person sleep on the bed and another on the couch, you are now giving the bed bugs two different meal directions, potentially spreading the infestation. That, and unless she isolates the couch, she still can be bitten.

B-B: So please don't feel that it was directed at you and int he same vein it would be classified as "straw man" not ad hominem.
    ----------------------------------
    Why would I feel that? Anyone interested has just to read your previous response to me and can come to their own conclusions.

Richard

24. ambushed9

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 11:47:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Now, now...let's not get a forum argument started please. In my reading I've seen several back-and-forths already. Not needed here.

I appreciate input from ANYONE, in fact, it helps me to hear from varying advisors. Not everyone's suggestions will work for everyone, but having options from others who've used differing techniques (that worked) gives me choices. I like choices. Always looking for better, simpler, more efficient methods to do most anything.

So, thank you Richard, and bb for jumping in to help. I appreciate you both offering your expertise/experience.

On a happier note: this morning's collection showed fewer adults, more teeny tinys and fewer than yesterday overall. Not counting chickens yet. Still counting bbs.

Off to graduation planning stuff. Thanks to ALL.
    Shari

25. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 11:56:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's a similar situation -- husband stays in bed, wife moves to couch -- the owner of this forum (nobugsonme) has a similar understanding to mine. While "nobugsonme" does say "... If spending a few nights on the sofa might help, that may be okay..." she further states: "but my understanding is, the longer you sleep away from your bed on the soda, the more likely they may be to spread to the sofa, if they haven't yet."

Thread and post here: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/cant-sleep-and-having-panic-attacks-can-i-sleep-on-couch-for-peace-of-mind

And while a night or two on the couch may be safe, from what I understand your treatment approach and couch situation may be longer term.

And again, my fold up cot idea is just one of a number of solutions, but the principle remains the same that moving from the bedroom potentially spreads the infestation and therefore in the end makes it more difficult to get rid of them.

Richard

26. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 12:02:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Ambushed: Now, now...let's not get a forum argument started please. In my reading I've seen several back-and-forths already. Not needed here. I appreciate input from ANYONE, in fact, it helps me to hear from varying advisors. Not everyone's suggestions will work for everyone, but having options from others who've used differing techniques (that worked) gives me choices. I like choices. Always looking for better, simpler, more efficient methods to do most anything. So, thank you Richard, and bb for jumping in to help. I appreciate you both offering your expertise/experience.
    -------------
    Glad I could be of some help and apologies for the back and forths. Sometimes we don't give people like yourself here enough credit for understanding that there is more than one way to skin a cat. I am therefore officially out of the back and forths and on to some gardening. Very happy things are getting better.

Richard

27. ambushed9

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 12:19:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Happy Gardening, Richard!

And do check back in as you will.

Shari

28. ambushed9

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun May 14 2017 22:32:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, we took the headboard off the bed and took the hardboard off the back of it. Yes, that's where they seem to be hiding. Possibly not the only place, but definitely saw 4 adults and what seemed like it could have been a few eggs, but hard to tell.

Vacc'd, treated (might have overdone it...) and we're leaving the headboard standing on it's side beside the bed.

Dano's got a bin for clothes and has appropriated the downstairs closet for his work clothes. Still have to empty his dressers! He has too much stuff!

Living room's on the agenda for tomorrow again.

Hope you all had a pleasant Mother's Day.

Shari

29. ambushed9

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri May 19 2017 15:25:16
    #

Login to Send PM

This morning's haul was only 5 bugs!

3 adults, 2 nymphs (not sure what stage).
    Progress! I hope.

Shari

30. ambushed9

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu May 25 2017 9:29:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, things are not looking up. Daughter in the room next to ours found an adult bug on her this morning.
    Not a happy camper, me.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,792 posts in 43,544 topics over 131 months by 19,074 of 19,667 members. Latest: tireddddddd, bedbugcrazed, HOWDY1