Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Bedbugs back after almost six months?

(5 posts)
  1. JessieJoestar

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 5:57:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys.
    Posted here when I first started dealing with them.
    An update.
    No places wanted to treat us unless we used vikane or heat treatment even though we were told it was not a bad infestation.
    Then those places actually quotes 1k over what I've read the approximate cost is.
    I ended up buying sprays and powders and applying it myself and after about a month an a half it seemed they were gone.
    And when I say seemed I mean at that point they were gone.
    No one had bites.
    I would go into the originally infested room and stay there for a while and would not get bit.
    All clear.

Now nearly six months later my family member was sitting in a recliner and suddenly jumped up and checked herself in the mirror and she had maybe 20 bites up and down her left arm.
    She found what she assumed to be the only bug biting her and killed it. It looked like a 3rd or 4th stage at most.
    Showed me and I doused the chair in alcohol automatically.

I honestly doubt that they were inside the house all this time and did not spread as fast as before.
    Within a month they were in every room biting everyone in the house.

But I do also know that much like the initial infection it was because bed bug infested items were brought from outside inside and I'm assuming that's what has happened is a new infestation is starting.

Tldr How likely is it that the bed bugs suddenly reappear after five to six months without new ones being introduced?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 7:59:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

When you follow best practice and monitor / inspect monthly you can more accurately say which of the two scenarios has occurred because you have X months clear and thus the sighting is almost certainly an introduction.

For example I have had a few people contact me saying, monitors have been clear for months and then suddenly I find an unfed bug on the bed shortly after coming home. Well in most cases that's because they have found the bed bug shortly after its introduction to the home and thus it is more like an "introduction" than an "infestation".

In your situation I would be looking to establish the most regular and most recent users of that chair and looking in their rooms for signs, both as the source and as possible spread.

I would recommend reading the section on infestation dynamics in http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/tbypmr.pdf and having all chair regulars look at what steps they can take to prevent introductions.

Out of the two scenarios at the 6 month mark I would be airing towards reintroduction rather than survivors of the first case but that is mainly because a survivor is not likely to have been in that age range and would have left a lot of traces for you to find already.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. JessieJoestar

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 15:23:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you.
    That's what I was thinking.
    Basically out of the recent chair users it has to be the original one that started the infestation.
    My aunt who regularly uses the chair does not leave the house or bring anything in when and if she does.
    The cousin that was bitten automatically complains of them so highly doubt it was her that brought them.
    Basically I can only see it as my uncle because he kept stuff that was supposed to be thrown out during the original infestation but in reality kept it in the back and would sit with it every few weeks.
    I'm assuming a small number probably survived and a few may have been brought in again.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 15:30:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I think Uncle is going somewhere and bringing home more than he realizes.

If it were the items his bed would be an issue first and foremost.

The chair issue often indicates an activity outside of the home where the seat is the first place the returner sits when they enter the house. This is more likely to be older behavior as younger ones are straight to room and drop stuff off.

That is not to say that others in the how can disregard good practice.

David

5. bugged-cdn

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 17:16:22
    #

Login to Send PM

My family member was sitting in a recliner and suddenly jumped up and checked herself in the mirror and she had maybe 20 bites up and down her left arm.

20 bites all at once and she assumed it was one bug?

Showed me and I doused the chair in alcohol automatically.

I assume you are aware of the dangers associated with spraying alcohol (fire). Plus it only kills the bugs you can see.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,487 posts in 42,163 topics over 127 months by 18,504 of 18,994 members. Latest: amybooks, imbuggingout, Okiguess