Bedbugdots... any use them?

(56 posts)
  1. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 14:13:55
    #

Login to Send PM

These dots are passive monitors. And there are 24 per package. Has anyone used them?

Product info: http://bedbugdot.com/product/bedbugdot

Product manual: http://www.bedbugdot.com/pdf/Production_Information_and_Directions_for_Use.pdf

A video:

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Player

Account closed
  2. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 14:31:18
    #

Login to Send PM

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 14:57:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

While they are monitors they fall short of the features of a Passive Monitor and it does people a huge disservice to present them as such.

In this case you are comparing something specifically designed to do a job based on field observations with something that does not have the same pedigree. If your research took you deeper you might find the picture is not quite as clear as it first appears.

Regards,

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 15:26:44
    #

Login to Send PM

They are a competing product to yours, I get that. I'd like to hear from people who have used them though.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 15:39:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Respectfully you don't get it.

It's like telling Enzo Ferrari a red model-T is like his car. It's really is like comparing a car to a truck. It is a matter motoring tool and one that works counter intuitively to what you have to date been extolling so one has to wonder what your motive actually is?

David

6. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 16:28:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 57 minutes ago  » 
    They are a competing product to yours, I get that. I'd like to hear from people who have used them though.

Exactly!!!! If its not his or if you're not in cahoots with him - its no good.

Reality - Cardboard is cardboard ... Any design will work. You can make free monitors with your own cardboard and get the job done. I see it every day in the real world with real results.

At least this comes with 20 monitors for the same money so you get many more locations to monitor for the same money. I would even go as far to say that these will detect bed bugs quicker given the number of possible placements. WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

7. dontwant2bhere

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 16:34:15
    #

Login to Send PM

David Cain's passive monitors have worked great for us. There's no way I would try anything different. It also looks like the makers of the dot monitors recommend using far more than the one per bed that you need with the passive monitors.

8. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 16:41:29
    #

Login to Send PM

At least this comes with 20 monitors for the same money so you get many more locations to monitor for the same money.[/b]

Right. With 24 per package a person could monitor furniture and locations throughout the whole house vs just one location.

The bbugs will still poop before entering BedBugDot so visual confirmation of fecal would be the same. Their manual states:
    "NSPECTION
    You do not need to remove bedbugdot to inspect. Turn on a
    light or use a flashlight and magnifying glass for examination in
    dark areas.
    WHERE TO LOOK
    Examine the area on and around bedbugdot. If no signs of bed
    bugs are present, check your calendar and leave in place for
    next inspection date."

9. bugged-cdn

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 16:46:36
    #

Login to Send PM

The bbugs will still poop before entering BedBugDot.

Do you have a scientific source that backs that up ?

10. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 16:47:50
    #

Login to Send PM

looks like the makers of the dot monitors recommend using far more than the one per bed that you need with the passive monitors.

The illustration is showing examples of areas where the monitors can be placed, not how many they recommend. This is from the instructions:
    "Placement can vary with furniture designs and location. Some
    install site examples are shown in the images See figures 1-7"

11. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 16:59:01
    #

Login to Send PM

The bbugs will still poop before entering BedBugDot.

Do you have a scientific source that backs that up ?

Actually I don't. I'm going by what David says about bbugs pooping before entering his monitor. Does he have a scientific source? Because he's my source. And you're right, I should not have repeated something that someone else said.

The instructions: Examine the area on and around bedbugdot. If no signs of bed
    bugs are present, check your calendar and leave in place for next inspection date."

12. dontwant2bhere

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 17:06:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 10 minutes ago  » 

looks like the makers of the dot monitors recommend using far more than the one per bed that you need with the passive monitors.

The illustration is showing examples of areas where the monitors can be placed, not how many they recommend. This is from the instructions:

In that case, it doesn't seem like a product that's based on scientific research. David Cain provides specific instruction about where to place the monitors. These dots look like a guessing game. Which spot do you want to try? I wouldn't trust the product, but of course if you feel comfortable with it, go for it. Please don't mislead others, though, and insinuate that these have been shown to be as effective as David Cain's monitors. I'm only saying this because I remember how difficult it was to weed through all the "bed bug info" when we first discovered we had them.

13. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 17:13:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Please don't mislead others, though, and insinuate that these have been shown to be as effective as David Cain's monitors.

I understand that you like his product but I have written no such thing. Pending apology accepted.

I didn't post this to compare products. He got bothered about it and now you are jumping on the band wagon. I would really like to hear from people who have USED this product and no more hijacking posts.

14. dontwant2bhere

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 18:21:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 1 hour ago  » 

At least this comes with 20 monitors for the same money so you get many more locations to monitor for the same money.[/b]

Right. With 24 per package a person could monitor furniture and locations throughout the whole house vs just one location.
    "

I realize that you didn't originally state that you wanted to compare products, but it did appear to take a turn in that direction. Were you not comparing the two in the exchange above? I'll stop commenting now and let's hear from those who have used the product...

15. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 19:20:03
    #

Login to Send PM

This is encouraging... the BedBugDot is recommended by the International Bed Bug Resource Authority, a 501(c) non-profit organization to spread bbug awareness and education:

http://ibbra.org/3-step-process-to-eliminate-bed-bugs/

"The International Bed Bug Resource Authority Inc. (IBBRA) was born and has become an industry leader who has proudly served thousands of bed bug victims. Armed with a Professional Scientific Advisory Board comprised of internationally recognized entomologists, doctors and scientists; each of these expert board members have dedicated their careers to research, prevention, education and the elimination of bed bugs. Collectively, this team of professionals represents the most talented and well equipped group in the world to help tackle the looming worldwide pandemic return of bed bugs.
    The IBBRA Inc. provides a Bed Bug Crisis Hotline and has developed a Layered Defense Strategy for the Hospitality industry in conjunction with our unique 3 step process; which allows anyone to educate themselves about bed bugs, evaluate their individual problem, and initiate a plan of action for the proper elimination."

https://ibbra.org/about/

16. dontwant2bhere

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 20:09:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 39 minutes ago  » 
    This is encouraging... the BedBugDot is recommended by the International Bed Bug Resource Authority, a 501(c) non-profit organization to spread bbug awareness and education:
    http://ibbra.org/3-step-process-to-eliminate-bed-bugs/
    "The International Bed Bug Resource Authority Inc. (IBBRA) was born and has become an industry leader who has proudly served thousands of bed bug victims. Armed with a Professional Scientific Advisory Board comprised of internationally recognized entomologists, doctors and scientists; each of these expert board members have dedicated their careers to research, prevention, education and the elimination of bed bugs. Collectively, this team of professionals represents the most talented and well equipped group in the world to help tackle the looming worldwide pandemic return of bed bugs.
    The IBBRA Inc. provides a Bed Bug Crisis Hotline and has developed a Layered Defense Strategy for the Hospitality industry in conjunction with our unique 3 step process; which allows anyone to educate themselves about bed bugs, evaluate their individual problem, and initiate a plan of action for the proper elimination."
    https://ibbra.org/about/

At the risk of being accused again of hijacking, I'm commenting because I'm now confused. I thought you were simply wanting to hear from those who have used the product. Instead, you seem to be promoting a product which you have not used. In my opinion, this is a disservice to those who are searching for quality products in their fight against bed bugs. Can we get back to what you said was your original intent? Has anyone used this product?

17. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 20:16:41
    #

Login to Send PM

, this is a disservice to those who are searching for quality products in their fight against bed bugs.

I thought someone might think that last post was promoting. I assure you, I just found the info and decided to share it. AND since I knew the credibility of the organization would likely be questioned I linked to the part about scientists being on the board. Just being proactive.

A "disservice" to share product information? Honestly, you don't need to be so confrontational. I'm just sharing information that I find.

18. mp7ski

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 20:27:01
    #

Login to Send PM

dontwant2bhere - 3 hours ago  » 

Poiqm - 10 minutes ago  » 

In that case, it doesn't seem like a product that's based on scientific research.

To be fair, I think the main reason reason for Poiqms last post was to point out that there may be some "scientific research" or that it's at least considered a viable product by experts in the field. Poiqms original question was for those that may have experience regarding this product, but when questioned by yourself and david, Poiqm simply was showing that the product may not be just a money grab from the maker and it may actually work in the field. To think that David's product is the best(while it may be) and the only one of its kind out there that will work especially when you've only used his product and not the one in question, regardless if it's worked for you or not is nieve and unfounded.

Personally I think they'd be worth a test in the field against the passive monitors. One, due to the price, two, for the number of places you'd be able to monitor without spending a fortune.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  19. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 20:29:53
    #

Login to Send PM

You get it, mp7ski. Thanks!

20. dontwant2bhere

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 20:32:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Aggressive? Really? I don't think I've ever been accused of being aggressive in my life, so I think I'll take that as a compliment. Seriously, though, I tend to value quality research in any discipline, especially when it has an impact on my life. When I first started learning about bed bugs, I got overwhelmed trying to discern the substance from the hype. I'm not responding to your posts simply to argue, but instead to help those who might be reading as they search for products to help them get rid of bed bugs. It's always best to use products that have been tested and proven effective, even if they are more expensive than an alternative.

So yet again, and at the risk of being redundant, has anyone used the product?

21. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 20:35:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I did edit it to "confrontational", I guess you saw it before the edit took place.

22. dontwant2bhere

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 20:44:46
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 12 minutes ago <a
    Personally I think they'd be worth a test in the field against the passive monitors. One, due to the price, two, for the number of places you'd be able to monitor without spending a fortune.

I have no issue with that. I just think it should be made clear to those who might be reading and seeking info. (I, for one, would rather not experiment when I'm trying to get rid of bed bugs. I'll opt for the proven product and leave the testing of other products to the researchers.)

23. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 20:56:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll opt for the proven product

It's not a trap or insecticide, it doesn't get rid of bed bugs. It doesn't even have a pheromone lure or human scent lure (like ScenSci). It's empty cardboard. Did you read KillerQueen's post?

"Reality - Cardboard is cardboard ... Any design will work. You can make free monitors with your own cardboard and get the job done. I see it every day in the real world with real results."

24. bedbugsbugme

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 20:57:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I would opt for a tried and tested product
    AKA Davids passive monitors and his method of removal. However the cost for just 1 monitor plus shipping is out of my range for spending. I would try this product just because you do get more for your money but its really just like crossing your fingers and hoping it works.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  25. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 20:58:59
    #

Login to Send PM

but its really just like crossing your fingers and hoping it works.

The same with both products. They are both cardboard, no lures.

26. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 21:19:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Edited. Will make new post.

27. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 11 2017 23:38:01
    #

Login to Send PM

dontwant2bhere - 1 hour ago  » 

At the risk of being accused again of hijacking, I'm commenting because I'm now confused. I thought you were simply wanting to hear from those who have used the product. Instead, you seem to be promoting a product which you have not used. In my opinion, this is a disservice to those who are searching for quality products in their fight against bed bugs. Can we get back to what you said was your original intent? Has anyone used this product?

I agree with this.

Poiqm should not be arguing the potential merits of a product he hasn't tried and had success with -- and frankly, users are in many cases unable to actually confirm the products they use actually work even if they do try them. If you do find a bed bug in the dot, post a photo.

KillerQueen,

I get that you don't agree with David's product, but have you any knowledge that bed bug dots work? Have you used them or do you know others who do?

I don't recall any experts giving any feedback on them here thus far.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  28. mp7ski

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 0:55:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 42 minutes ago  » 

To be fair, bed bug dots also haven't had the creator on this forum for 8 or 9 years promoting their own product like the passive monitors have which have in turn, had most forum users use his product.

Poiqm didn't necessarily promote this product. She asked a simple question and got met with resistant from a stubborn man who created a similar product. Then poiqm responded showing that some experts in the field suggested it.

That's it. Poiqm may go overboard with the cimexa posts and over suggest the DIY methods but don't pile it on to this post. For all you guys know the bed bug dots could actually be a more effective product due to the fact that its easier and more affordable to monitor more areas. Just cause an expert on here didn't create it and it hasn't been tested by users who were pushed to use it by its creator, doesn't make it an inferior product.

Afterall, one of the most distinguished experts on the forum has helped people with a DIY version of the passive monitor.

You guys are acting like poiqm sat here and said it was a better product than David's and suggested that people should use it when that is far from reality.

Poiqm simply asked a question, met some resistant from a person who creates a product that competes with said product and then poiqm responded with factual information regarding the product that was orginaly questioned.

Do I think David's product is a better product overall... more than likely... but this is a forum, and if someone is going to get blasted and ridiculed for asking a question about a product that could possibly help people in a bed hug situation then what is the fricken point of this forum in the first place. Has politics made its way into a bed bug forum... I sure hope not.

Sorry I'm ranting, I just feel like the resistance poiqm has gotten in this post is unfounded, based on their overall opinion of poiqm, and not in the overall best interest of bed bug sufferers and more or less based off of one product from a guy who's been promoting said product on this forum since he's created it.

Not fair to poiqm, adult users on here who should educate themselves enough to make decisions in their best interest, or the bed bug dots themselves.

29. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 2:33:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, a study in social psychology for sure. Independent thinkers will see through the nonsense and consider the product without influence.

At this point I'm mostly just curious to know if the adhesive backing of BedBugDot is good and strong! I'm ordering some.

(And will explore making similar product DIY style. )

30. bugged-cdn

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 8:24:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 5 hours ago  » 
    Yes, a study in social psychology for sure. Independent thinkers will see through the nonsense and consider the product without influence.

Most of your posts contain insults - some veiled, some not. If you want to get better cooperation from your fellow board members, start by not freaking out every time someone questions one of your finds or inventions.

31. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 9:43:43
    #

Login to Send PM

The debate of "its just a piece of cardboard"is not a new one to me. The most qualified person I had it with was the patent examiner in Cardiff many years ago. If you read the patent you will see that the features that make it work and make it effective is not the cardboard alone.

In short had the solution need as simple as a piece of card I would not have spent the money on tooling and development. I would not have spent the money on protecting the IP and the method. I have even attempted to explain in terms of Six sigma design principles by confirming if you take away any of the components you don't get the same reliable results.

Now if you are happy to accept inferior results then feel free to do so but please don't make huge assumptions and without even having seen the product in your hand jump to conclusions. Least of all because there is a very good chance someone has already had the benefit of enough time to have already tried what is new to you.

In this case these behavioral traits are not new tot he forum and it is frankly only down to the exceptionally good ethics of our host and the respect some of have for them that people persevere in trying to help others when a this behavior occurs. I can even understand some of the psychological pressures that this applies to people and why they often behave out of character.

I can only mirror the underlying requests of others that you be a little more conscious of the mess you force others to have to fact check and clean up after. It diverts energy from being used to actually help people.

David

32. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 12:44:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I will be ordering BBDots because I get 24per pack. My funds are limited as I'm low income and DIYing 2 homes so if you want to send me a free sample of your monitor I'm happy to compare the two products and report back. From a consumer perspectve.

33. bugged-cdn

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 15:35:46
    #

Login to Send PM

These are marketed as early detection devices, to find out if you have bed bugs. Does this mean you've cleared your infestation?

At any rate, you could also just cut cardboard into little circles and save some money.

34. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 15:59:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Does this mean you've cleared your infestation?
    At any rate, you could also just cut cardboard into little circles and save some money.

After this experience I will forever think of bbugs and take precautions. And I will definitely make some in the future.

35. bugged-cdn

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 16:40:40
    #

Login to Send PM

So you're in the clear? Bravo!

36. FayeState

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 17:29:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Do bed bugs like cardboard better than paper or do they like both?

37. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 17:32:26
    #

Login to Send PM

So you're in the clear? Bravo!

I believe so for my private residence, although I won't claim success until more time has passed. The other home has a tenant who is not very cooperative so it's taking longer. We'll be successful there as well, I'm sure.

38. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 18:18:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your offer to consumer test.

You might want to consider the approach we have taken in that area. It was decided that a consumer test is only valid if we were the actual consumer and purchased the product. This means we are not obliged to anyone for any reason, no matter how small.

We also only supply test materials to teams conducting live field trials which would mean you would need to release live bed bugs in your home to collect data given that a 200 room hotel might only get 5 infestations per year.

David

39. somanybugs

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 23:39:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is a little personal humble opinion after having to deal with my bed bug nightmare.

The BB alert bed bug monitor is obviously a good, well-thought out product for bedbug detection. It has the cardboard inside which is super attractive to bed bugs, the hard cover of plastic that can durable, prevent any crushing and last for a long time. It also have the strong adhesive back that stick well. Most importantly, it has the white skirt outside that make it super easy for monitoring. The design makes it super easy to just check for the skirt for any marks. I think it is a great design. Now the problems i have with this is that its super expensive in my opinion, especially when you have an active infestation. Each monitor cost me almost 35 dollars each in Canada (I have 4 beds and couch, and tables that need them). I think that the monitor is great for preventing, catching the problem early. Everybody should have a monitor on your bed once you are clear. The design make it easy to detect any infestation and it will last forever, until u get infested (knock on wood). It is also great for an active infestation, but it would costly if you want to change the monitor every time you find one in there v.v - A similar monitor that is more economical for active infestation would be greatly appreciated =P

BedBugDots to me look like a lazy design. That product is what you should be accusing of selling you card boards and cheating you of money. You have to put many more of those on your stuff, so it will take so much more time to check them all. and they don't seem to be easy to check. The fecal marks around the circles will be easy to detect if all your stuff are covered with white sheet, if not, you have to pick it up and look through it to see if there's any bugs in there, and then stick them back on the furniture. I can see it being okay if you have super active infestation. Even so, If you think about buying bebbugdots, Don't, because you can just cut up cardboard and tape them on your stuff, they will be exactly the same.

40. FayeState

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Feb 13 2017 1:27:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Somanybugs, how is your infestation going? Are the monitors catching a lot of the bugs?

41. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Feb 13 2017 2:37:57
    #

Login to Send PM

You have to put many more of those on your stuff

No you don't have to put more. You can put just one. The dots in the illustration are example locations where they can be placed.

the fecal marks around the circles will be easy to detect if all your stuff are covered with white sheet,

Since neither of us have used BBDot then I'll just say that fecal is easy to see. A flashlight is a great aid. It would have to be an extremely dark surface for it to be hard to see fecal. If that's the case then put some textured white cloth tape on the surface then BBDot on top. (Cheaper than paying $35 for a monitor with a white skirt when a BBDot is less than $1 each. )

42. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Feb 14 2017 18:46:00
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 2 days ago  » 

Nobugsonme - 42 minutes ago  » 

To be fair, bed bug dots also haven't had the creator on this forum for 8 or 9 years promoting their own product like the passive monitors have which have in turn, had most forum users use his product.
    Poiqm didn't necessarily promote this product. She asked a simple question and got met with resistant from a stubborn man who created a similar product. Then poiqm responded showing that some experts in the field suggested it.

Two things:

1. I am not just referring to this thread. Poiqm has posted in other threads at least one other thread flat out suggesting people buy this product and linking to it.

2. I am not just referring to experts who posted in this thread.
    We have many experts here and some don't post as often. Only one has a competing product. When something is good, experts tell us. Cinema Cimexa is an example. We didn't hear about that from forum users but from experts posting here. Experts who use it.

We know when new products come out and when no one among our experts is excited about them, it raises questions.

43. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Feb 14 2017 20:07:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm has posted in other threads flat out suggesting people buy this product and linking to it.

Not plural, singular. One other thread I suggested someone consider the product. You removed the link and told me not to do it again and I haven't.

44. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 8:20:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm,
    Thanks-- I have corrected this to "at least one other thread" simply because I don't have time to verify that right now, but regardless, my points above remain relevant.

45. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 0:49:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks to Lou for alerting me to the "Cinema" typo above. I was talking of course about Cimexa.

46. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Feb 22 2017 13:30:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, I've actually used these things.
    A friend of mine reps for the company and I've done several heat treatments, spray treatments, etc... with that same guy.

The suggested placement is indeed that you are to use many monitors throughout even a small apartment.
    If I have to check twelve monitors I'm already doing an inspection at that point, so what do I need the Bedbugdots for?
    I have a box sitting right here on my desk, don't believe I'll be using them on any of our properties. Cute family photo on the front of the package, it does make me giggle a little.
    Patrick's a great friend, he's taught me a lot through the five years, but I don't get the point of this monitoring system.

Yes, I've actually placed them on a property and no, I didn't find them to fail, but at the numbers required to monitor it's pretty much like I'm doing a basic inspection at that point if I have to check so many in various parts of the home. I much prefer using the Packtite monitors at this point in time, but I've only just started that method on a large scale this year, so time will tell.

And the idea that all cardboards are created equally is just not true. Having dealt with manufacturing in the past there are enough variations it'd make your head spin.

What whispers the whisker?
  47. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Feb 22 2017 14:48:13
    #

Login to Send PM

From what I understand the purpose of the BBDot system is to educate people on where to look for bed bugs and to have them check those areas regularly. But as a professional you could place them in strategic locations only, just as you would a packtite. Right? Could you run some tests and put a BBDot in the same location as a Packtite and see if one is preferred over the other by bed bugs?

48. Ombugsman

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Feb 22 2017 17:15:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the real world input! Could you elaborate a bit on this statement:

Yes, I've actually placed them on a property and no, I didn't find them to fail,

Did the property have bedbugs and you found a bug in one of the dots or maybe some fecal on, in, or near the dot?

Also, I know you mentioned you don't use CimeXa but if you have any lying around I'd be curious if bugs still enter the dot if some CimeXa is in there. I'm really only interested in CimeXa here not something like DE. As you mentioned in another thread, all cardboard is not alike and, similarly, bugs might react differently to CimeXa versus another product.

49. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Feb 22 2017 20:59:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I think the point you have missed is one I raised with the marketeer of this product. If you are using the dots to show people where to look you may as well use "sticky dots" (the stationary product) because it is equally effective as a way to remember where to look. In fact when it was first described to me I thought this is what they meant bright dots to show people where to look.

I did try to explain to them that it was more logical to find a way to focus the bed bug activity down to a narrower easier to inspect area but they seemed to think that more per pack offered more appeal rather than having fewer devices that were actually efficacious in their mode of action.

As for trialing a simple cardboard arrangement versus an optimized product I can only reply by saying "how on earth do you think we got to where we are today? We started with a cut out of card and added to it until we got something with the minimal number of parts and maximum efficiency. After all if there were no benefits over cardboard I would have saved the patent and molding investment costs and retired a long time ago.

As for the effect of spiking cimexa or another silicon dioxide desiccant into the monitor there is actually no benefit. So long as you check frequently enough there is no need to actually kill the bugs in the monitor, they can be removed by replacing the device. Keeping those bugs alive as enabled us to send them to academics all over the world to further their research using healthy field strain populations. In fact the images of the dissected monitors in the link below came from one academic lab because they were curious to see what was happening on the inside:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjWJd7AR

Now I think I have humored some of you enough for this lifetime. Unless your also here to help people it might be helpful if you left those of us that do that to get on with that task.

David

50. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 10:38:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Ombugsman - 17 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the real world input! Could you elaborate a bit on this statement:

Yes, I've actually placed them on a property and no, I didn't find them to fail,

Did the property have bedbugs and you found a bug in one of the dots or maybe some fecal on, in, or near the dot?
    Also, I know you mentioned you don't use CimeXa but if you have any lying around I'd be curious if bugs still enter the dot if some CimeXa is in there. I'm really only interested in CimeXa here not something like DE. As you mentioned in another thread, all cardboard is not alike and, similarly, bugs might react differently to CimeXa versus another product.

You're asking me to test Cimexa with the dots?

51. Ombugsman

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 10:59:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Two Questions:

(1) Not related to Cimexa, when you used them on the property and you said you "didn't find them to fail", what does that mean? Did you find bugs in them or fecal to suggest they had entered the dots?

(2) Related to Cimexa, you've posted on this site that you maintain a "colony" of bed bugs. You also stated you have some dots "I have a box sitting right here on my desk". IF you have CimeXa as well, I ask if you would be willing to put a bit of CimeXa into one of the dots, set it and the bug down in an enclosed area or whatever, and tell us if the bug goes inside the dot. Of course, you'd have to do the test with a dot not containing CimeXa as well as a control. I'm definitely not asking you to field test it!

52. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 11:22:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing your input on BedbugDots, Big Dummy!

53. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 11:28:29
    #

Login to Send PM

1. There was no activity in the apartment; the dots were able to adhere with the included sticky pads, they remained in place for the most part, the shape was not immediately distorted and provided what I believed to be a viable harborage. That being said this was for a matter of weeks, not months. I do have concerns with the durability of the design for long-term use.

2. I do not have Cimexa on site.

3. Were you a member here a few years back?

54. mp7ski

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 16:33:25
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 1 month ago  » 
    Okay, I've actually used these things.
    A friend of mine reps for the company and I've done several heat treatments, spray treatments, etc... with that same guy.
    The suggested placement is indeed that you are to use many monitors throughout even a small apartment.
    If I have to check twelve monitors I'm already doing an inspection at that point, so what do I need the Bedbugdots for?
    I have a box sitting right here on my desk, don't believe I'll be using them on any of our properties. Cute family photo on the front of the package, it does make me giggle a little.
    Patrick's a great friend, he's taught me a lot through the five years, but I don't get the point of this monitoring system.
    Yes, I've actually placed them on a property and no, I didn't find them to fail, but at the numbers required to monitor it's pretty much like I'm doing a basic inspection at that point if I have to check so many in various parts of the home. I much prefer using the Packtite monitors at this point in time, but I've only just started that method on a large scale this year, so time will tell.
    And the idea that all cardboards are created equally is just not true. Having dealt with manufacturing in the past there are enough variations it'd make your head spin.

Turns out this thread wasn't closed.
    I see your point, but at the same time, this product wasn't created for someone like you. You are, for the most part, considered an expert on this forum for your bed bug work and experiences. So you inspecting a property would be a lot different than an unexperienced person going through a possible or active infestation.

Like the creator pointed out, this is an educational device and allows people to inspect more areas more easily and learn which areas the bed bugs are possibly located. They are not used in the same way davids is used.

55. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 16:51:19
    #

Login to Send PM

As I mentioned in the other thread, they were presented to me by a third party as an alternative to the PackTite monitors.

56. mp7ski

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 16:58:04
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 6 minutes ago  » 
    As I mentioned in the other thread, they were presented to me by a third party as an alternative to the PackTite monitors.

Fair enough.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

263,644 posts in 42,613 topics over 128 months by 18,700 of 19,229 members. Latest: Greg_ooo, hpgirl2008, allergyprone