Bedbugblue questions...

(5 posts)
  1. Notcertainwhat

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 5:03:26
    #

Login to Send PM

We received an Amazon order of clothing and one specific item had a very fecal looking dot (it was one spot, dark black, soaked into fabric) so I tested with bed bug blue and it turned bright blue.

So, my questions now are:

1. Should I be concerned about things in the mail having bedbug fecal and/or bugs?
    2. Are there other insects that would leave a positive mark?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 10:27:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Please have a look at the reference images int he blood spots on sheets primer:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-blood-spots-on-sheets-primer

If the spot you tested was jet black and "bled" into the fibers it was one that had been through the wash. Regardless of the source (which is most commonly fresh blood) the stain left will be black and will test positive with bed bug blue because of the changes in blood that occur during the washing process.

It should technically be, if its red or jet black don't test with blue but given that most people perceive faecal as black rather than its true dark brown colour it would make it harder for some people to test.

This is obviously less of an issue with solid surfaces and only becomes a factor with clothing or sheets that have been washed.

Hope that explains.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Notcertainwhat

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 14:30:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm having trouble getting flikr to work but here's the clothing today. I swabbed it with the q-tip last night and there's still some stain left. It's definitely not black so I misspoke.

And I understood Bed Bug Blue to not give positive results on washed clothing, so thank you David for your review but I'm not convinced this is washed blood...

The swab lifted alot of the matter and it smeared and turned the test spot bright blue.

What other insect could give that reading? Spider, gnat, fly?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133612242@N04/shares/D8YD68

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 15:00:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I downloaded the image and shifted the colour balance slightly:

33877361464_db33147f0e_otweaked by David Cain, on Flickr

The prevailing colour that comes out is a brick red / red.

So yes its not washed blood like this:

Slide5of7 by David Cain, on Flickr

But equally it is not this:

wp0_wp2f0669a6 by David Cain, on Flickr

The only thing I have found to test positive with Bed Bug Blue is blood, I regularly test similar and suspect things but have never had a false positive. In this case I can only conclude it appears more like blood than faecal which could account for the result.

Technically the droppings of any blood feeding insect could give a positive result but such scenarios are not common nor likely without you having to ignore a huge pool of blood on the floor of the property.

David

5. djames1921

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 19:22:36
    #

Login to Send PM

After reading through this thread I agree with David Cain's conclusions.

Disclosure I manufacture and sell bed bug blue

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,319 posts in 42,984 topics over 129 months by 18,860 of 19,418 members. Latest: wouldliketosleepagain, Jweesh, Bert230