Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

bed frame selection, amidst some venting :)

(12 posts)
  1. nycfighter

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 19:05:26
    #

Login to Send PM

i've been fighting bedbugs with the help of a PCO, my building management, and extensive efforts & research on my own part.

i live in a tiny nyc furnished apartment, and have been in the unit for 8 years with no bed bug problems, although i know they have come and gone in other units over the years.

recently they've shown up in my place and i've been tirelessly washing, bagging, encasing, steaming, dusting, reading, learning, even crying. haha

anyway, i've had about 3 or 4 treatments of what i just found out today was Suspend, and have dusted myself with both Delta Dust and most recently Drione (lightly according to recommendations online, although my PCO said to be heavy, ugh). i will probably switch to DE at this point to put a cap on my exposure to pesticides.

THE POINT OF THIS POST (sorry): is that i still have found a couple bugs on my bed frame after each treatment. i don't have a "heavy" infestation and have never seen more than 2 in one cluster, haven't seen babies or eggs, etc. (though i know they had to have been around). i don't really react much to the bites or am not getting bitten much, though looking back i think i had some bites and didn't know.

my bed frame is an AWFUL design for bugs. it's a wooden platform bed with TONS of cracks and holes and boards, with drawers underneath. it's attached by metal railings to yet another complicated wood cabinetry structure which is in turn attached to the wall.

it is very difficult to inspect and treat, and i think i've FINALLY convinced the building management to remove the bed part (not the cabinets) if i agree to buy my own frame replacement. (which i readily am willing to do).

but i need help. there's so much information out there, and so much is conflicting (i know this is all far from an exact science). but i am working within restrictions (don't want to spend a ton of money, have a VERY small apartment, so space is very limited & can't accomodate head- or footboard, and is a twin bed (a sob story in and of itself haha).

i was gonna get this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Handy-Living-Twin-Wood-Frame/dp/B002KQ5KPW

but then thought maybe the wood slats were a bad idea. so what about this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pragma-Bed%C2%AE-Mattress-Platform-mattresses/dp/B002LJTGVC

my thinking was that a simple metal bed frame with no storage underneath and fewer holes/cracks/etc. would be best. but obviously i'm aware metal can be hollow and hav holes as well. and i'm also nervous that a metal bed frame might not be best for me, since my apartment is so small that all my belongings are, at their furthest by diagonal lines to the ceiling, maybe 10 feet from the bed. so i dont want a bed frame that will just make the bugs hide in all my other things.

i definitely don't want to introduce a box spring into the mix.

i know there's no good answer. but my head is simply spinning from all the information in the past several weeks and the stress and isolation of it all. i am terrified of picking up more bugs, and more importantly of spreading them to people i care about. i know a lot of my paranoia is overreaction and i go to great lengths to keep my clothes quarantined, etc. but just being honest about my head space.

crazy thing is of the friends i've confided in, i'm amazed how many have had them, or have known people who have had them. it's a real problem. almost makes me want to leave NYC, but i know they're everywhere and you can't live in fear. i travel a lot and now have extensive search procedures when entering hotel rooms. will probably never go to a cinema again. even scared of cabs. haha. flashlight glued to hand, constantly itching, feeling crawling, inspecting every speck. all that.

i'll make another post i think with questions about my exterminator and courses of treatment. hope i didn't overpost here.

thanks everyone for sharing & providing a forum where i dont feel so alone. it's a lot for one person to handle mentally.

any advice on the bed frame choice?

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 22:46:56
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 month ago  » 

Canuck - 12 minutes ago  » 
    theyareoutthere or mrwitz - could you point me in the direction of David Cain's instructions for preparation of a wooden bed frame. I seem to have missed that one and my search on this site and Google was not very effective. Thank you.

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/optifurniture.html
    Its part of the advanced educational section here:
    http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/advancededucational.html
    It often takes a while for Google to sift the good bedbug info from the dross that's out there, I mean please I just watched a very professional video with big budget that still claimed them to be nocturnal.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I hope this copies/quotes correctly. David Cain wrote a 20 page document on how to optomize your bed/bed frame for checking for BBs. Hope it helps. It sounds like you are staying positive and venting is perfectly normal

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. nycfighter

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 22:52:23
    #

Login to Send PM

awesome thank you!!

will read that now.

i appreciate it.

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 23:05:36
    #

Login to Send PM

No problem. It is entitled in advance of an infestation so you might want to PM David Cain with ideas.

I have the Pragma metal bedframe. I used to have a platform bed (beautiful one that I bought as a present). My allergies include dustmites so it was too hard to keep up with the vacuuming under the bed with the platform bed (I didn't think about practicalities when I purchased it). I love the Pragma bedframe since it so easy to clean and clean under, but I don't have a bedbug infestation. It's also black and hard to inspect.

The other thing (blush) is that it "squeaks" quite a bit. No further comment on that.

5. nycfighter

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 23:06:27
    #

Login to Send PM

sounds like metal isn't necessarily a great idea & a simple light-colored wood (even with slats) frame might be better. will keep looking!

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 23:10:47
    #

Login to Send PM

That's how I read it too. It's a lot of work. Good luck!

7. nycfighter

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 0:11:34
    #

Login to Send PM

(consider yourself lucky on the squeaking part. no blushing necessary. haha)

8. EndOfMyRope

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 7:17:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Im so glad someone posted this, as Im at the stage of thinking about ways to protect my new home and belongings. (more on that later as I will post an update thread) unfortunately, the first link opened but loaded everything BUT the info I wanted to read.. I was only able to see only the border of the page. I shall keep researching, as I have many decisions to make in the coming few weeks.

TheyAreOutThere, hehehehe how lucky you are, my friend, to have cause for your bed to squeak

9. i hate buggs

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 8:12:07
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 9 hours ago  » 
    No problem. It is entitled in advance of an infestation so you might want to PM David Cain with ideas.
    I have the Pragma metal bedframe. I used to have a platform bed (beautiful one that I bought as a present). My allergies include dustmites so it was too hard to keep up with the vacuuming under the bed with the platform bed (I didn't think about practicalities when I purchased it). I love the Pragma bedframe since it so easy to clean and clean under, but I don't have a bedbug infestation. It's also black and hard to inspect.
    The other thing (blush) is that it "squeaks" quite a bit. No further comment on that.

hahahahahaha !!!!

10. i hate buggs

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 8:12:48
    #

Login to Send PM

nycfighter - 8 hours ago  » 

hahahahaha!!!

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 8:43:25
    #

Login to Send PM

i hate buggs - 24 minutes ago  » 

nycfighter - 8 hours ago  » 

hahahahaha!!!

I would normally suggest you pair get a room but with this crowd its more like get a room, decide who will inspect it first, who will confirm, who have a preferred dog as a back up plan and is the local bedbug pro on speed dial.

Suddenly life seems so much easier sitting in the rocking chair in front of an open fire listening to the carol singers as they roam the streets below singing for their super. It's not likely to happen in the projects I live in.

Bed choice can be important for so many reasons, after all we spend more time in it than any other item of furniture and yet as a general rule we all care for it less than we do our cars. I may even start a love your bed movement (although my weekends are busy enough already).

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  12. nycfighter

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 5 2011 3:10:10
    #

Login to Send PM

in case anyone comes across this, i decided on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Nomad-Solid-Hardwood-Platform-Frame/dp/B000KV3B14

simple, light colored wood. no box frame. no metal tubing. easy to inspect.

wish me luck

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14