Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bed bugs vs fleas- would love expert opinion

(3 posts)
  1. flamom

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 14:44:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I found an adult flea in my bed last week. Lou positively IDed it. We do have an indoor dog on a flea "birth control" that keeps fleas from reproducing. I have not found a single flea on him since and have not found any others in our house. I have had a diy flea trap out today, but not before. I'm confused though because I noticed two bites on my stomach and two on my ankles about a day after I found (and killed) the single flea. Then today, I found 4 bites/bumps spanning my lower belly right where by underwear line is. The bites are about 4 inches apart each. They would either be almost covered by my pants while sleeping or right on the edge I suppose. This freaked me out. I have seen no more fleas, but the bites I saw today are in a normally hidden area (underwear line). . Is it possible that all of these bites (8 total) are from that single flea? I'm certain he spent one night under the covers with me because I found him burrowed between the covers the next morning. It's a bit hard to imagine that I missed these 4 bites except that I'm pregnant and can't really see that part of my body well. The supposedly older Bites look just like the other bites, but closer together. So the initial bites I noticed were about a day after I killed the flea, but I obviously could have missed them.

So, could one flea bites 8 different times at night and could it be possible I didn't notice the first couple of days? Or does this sound more like bed bug behavior? The 4 bites are not super close together, but it worries me that they are along my clothing line, which still makes me question bed bugs. The original sets of bites are two close together and a picture is below. They never swelled up, just red round bites and they are still here 5 days later but don't itch. I do know that you can't confirm based on bite pictures, but if anyone has knowledge I would appreciate it. I feel like I should relax since I found a flea and be relieved it isn't bed bugs, but these bites have me concerned.
    Picture of Bites originally found on abdomen. Look exactly the same, maybe a bit faded, 5-6 days later. 2 bites on abdomen

Picture of four bites at very bottom of my pregnant belly (i put my finger where the 4th is because you can't see from the angle: 4 bites on lower abdomen

From a single flea? Typical of bed bug bites? Thanks for any info.

2. flamom

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 23:04:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I realize that was really long- I would appreciate input. Basic summary: found a live flea in bed last week, confirmed flea by Lou. Noticed bites day later and then some today (about 5-6 days later). Thinking I may have missed the bites before because of location (base of pregnant belly, can't see unless look closely in mirror). Pictures near bottom of original post. No other fleas found. How likely all 8 bites are from original adult flea? Still red after 5-6 days but not super itchy. Concerned about BBs because of pattern, but that may be silly since I have a confirmed flea and nothing confirming of BBs.

3. Canuck

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 0:04:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you missed the obvious....there is/was another flea that you did not find. Also, bed bugs (or any insect that I am aware of) do not bite in a pattern - that is not a symptom of the presence of bed bugs; fecal spotting, shed skins, eggs or live specimens, that is evidence.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

251,998 posts in 40,263 topics over 123 months by 17,630 of 17,970 members. Latest: scarred4lyfe, ssieberfl, sierram1291