Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Bed Bugs treated not long ago and I bought a new mattress....

(5 posts)
  1. delusional

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 2:03:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

So about two weeks ago I discovered my small bed bug problem. 5 dead ones on my mattress along with black fecal staining around the head of the bed. Other than that, I saw nothing else anywhere throughout my apartment…..just my bites which got me to start hunting for them on my mattress. Anyways, the caretaker immediately got a PCO in here and they sprayed last week. Since that time, I’ve double wrapped my mattress and box spring in two mattress plastic bags, taped them shut and put higher end encasements on them and haven’t received any new bites and have only found one dead bed bug on my pillow and absolutely nothing else so I’m hopeful! Fingers crossed!

My mattress set is already about 15 years old-ish and with the staining from the bugs I’m not wanting to keep the mattress but I will for a few months just to make sure the problem has been dealt with and then I will throw it away at a dump with the plastic wraps still on them. However, recently a store near me had a huge sale on mattresses…so cheap I couldn’t pass it up and probably won’t be able to buy a good mattress set for that cheap in a very long time. So I purchased a new mattress set and it will be delivered in two weeks. My plan is to keep the new mattress set stored in double plastic wrap and tape with encasements for at least 6 months to ensure I’m not dealing with the bugs again. If I’m free and clear, I’ll dispose of old mattress and start using my new, desperately needed mattress set with encasements. Does anyone see a problem with my idea? I can’t return the new mattress set at this point and needed a new one bugs or not but am I protecting against them enough? Or should I even just go ahead and plastic wrap and encase the new mattress, get rid of the old one entirely? Or even just store the new mattress elsewhere until I’m sure we’re free and clear?

I know it’s a lot of questions!

Thanks for your feedback!

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 20:50:48
    #

Login to Send PM

The manufacturer's plastic wrapping will not be bed bug proof.

3. Lara71

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 21:50:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely purchase a bed bug cover for new mattress and box spring. I had planned to get rid of my bed in two years but decided because of BB, I would get rid of it now. I purchased the new bed at along with a bed bug cover. The guys delivering it were nice enough to put it on and put the bed on top of the interceptors.

4. delusional

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 6 2017 1:45:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the feedback newbite and bugged-cdn.

Do you think I can reuse or SHOULD reuse the encasements I have on my old bed right now? Take them off wash and dry or just new encasements entirely?

5. HifromChi

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 6 2017 11:01:09
    #

Login to Send PM

The encasement's aren't usually durable enough to be taken taken off and put back on again and washed and whatnot. Once you install encasement's, you should just leave them put, they tear and/or get compromised easily. It's recommended to leave them on permanently, like an extension of your mattress, per my PCO.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7