Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Bed Bugs summering in the Hamptons!

(8 posts)
  1. MyWorstFear

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 16:42:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Another article about bed bugs in the NY Post today. Article is here: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/not_the_dune_buggies_she_had_in_JoZaviL96ZlbN257NgUU3L

In case anyone is still wondering, high prices do not guarantee a bed bug free rental! This should be interesting, if their case makes it to court. I wonder how long the house was empty of people before
    this family moved in, as they got so many bites in just one night, it sounds like the bugs were starving!
    Icky!

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 17:51:03
    #

Login to Send PM

i agree...bring back DDT (i think)...i'd prefer to have one year less of life without bed bugs

3. mcsmcs

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 18:08:21
    #

Login to Send PM

DeedleBeetle - 16 minutes ago  » 
    i agree...bring back DDT (i think)...i'd prefer to have one year less of life without bed bugs

So true Deedle!

4. BugsInTO

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 18:17:58
    #

Login to Send PM

"In the Hamptons, the help could be bringing them in." Are you up nights wondering how you got your bedbugs, unable to decide if it was your butler, your upstairs maid, or the chauffeur? No? Well I guess it must have been those international travellers you let stay in your back bedroom.

FYI - DDT - bedbugs are now resistent to it. It's Propoxur that need to be brought back. At least until they develop a resistence to it.

5. mcsmcs

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 18:24:37
    #

Login to Send PM

BugsInTO - 6 minutes ago  » 
    FYI - DDT - bedbugs are now resistent to it. It's Propoxur that need to be brought back. At least until they develop a resistence to it.

Oh, so we can tell Joni the trees don't need to go to the tree museum right yet? Wonder what the side effects of Propoxur are?

6. SickTired

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 23:47:16
    #

Login to Send PM

We purchased a large bottle of Permacide Plus with Propoxur from an insecticide supplier. They recommended that we only spray it in the cracks and crevices of our home. Even though I read the horrifying effects it can have on people if used improperly, I still used it (poor judgement on my behalf). I was completely acting out of desperation. The stuff is extremely potent. It smelled absolutely horrible, even though our house was well ventilated with all of the windows and doors open. The strong odor resided in my home for over a week. It was definately worse than any product our PCO ever used.

I would definately not recommend using this as a "do it yourself" project. Especially if you have children or pets in the home (which I do). I felt worse after using it because I put my entire family at risk. It just goes to show you how bed bugs can completely traumatize people into doing things that they would normally not do. I have definately taken things to the extreme in my home. I guess stress and lack of sleep will do that to people!

SickTired

7. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jul 10 2010 9:20:30
    #

Login to Send PM

mcs...Tell Joni ? (i can't stop laughing)....

okay...if propoxur works, let's use that.

i think the gov't has to get a grip on this problem. People want to look at landlords the group that should fix this problem, and while it's true that many landlords are not acting responsibly, it looks like the bb problem is way too big for the LLs to handle.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jul 11 2010 2:03:06
    #

Login to Send PM

SickTired - 1 day ago  » 
    We purchased a large bottle of Permacide Plus with Propoxur from an insecticide supplier. They recommended that we only spray it in the cracks and crevices of our home. Even though I read the horrifying effects it can have on people if used improperly, I still used it (poor judgement on my behalf).

In response to SickAndTired's post, I REALLY do not recommend that anyone tries to get ahold of pesticides which are not legal and labeled for use indoors and against bed bugs. It's dangerous and it's against the law.

(Just to be clear I was in favor of the EPA lifting the ban on Propoxur, because it was for controlled use only and to be applied by licensed applicators only.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,699 posts in 31,252 topics over 95 months by 13,519 of 17,231 members. Latest: wunderful2, Nastybug1, Fozsbear