Bed bugs or carpet beetles?

(6 posts)
  1. Pnelson

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue May 16 2017 16:06:51
    #

Login to Send PM

So maybe two weeks ago I started noticing what looked like bites on my arms and chest area. My husband has had no issues and neither have my children. A few days ago I decided to tear my bed apart and check if I could see any signs of bugs. When I did this I found either dead bugs or casings on my box spring closest to my bedroom window. Unfortunately my bed was on the floor and not in a frame due to low ceilings in my room. I'm not sure if these bugs are bed bugs or another type of bug. I proceeded to bag my mattress and box springs in zippered covers and remove them from my home. I then sprayed insecticide on my carpets and all base boards and every crack I seen as well as Windows. I vaccumed and bagged up ever thing in tight sealed bags. I waited till the next day and followed up with steaming all the same areas and then drenching every thing in 100 proof alcohol. I have not seen a single live bug and all I see is what looks like mold maybe from my air conditioner. I had no feces or streaks along my mattress and nowhere else on my boxspring except for by that window. I had a white pillow top cover that was clean and no apparent blood stains. Now on to why I think it could be carpet beetles is because about a week ago I was laying on my couch watching tv and I noticed welts were forming on my arm. I didn't feel anything or see anything. When inspecting my couch I find a lot of dead carpet beetles. I also found alot in my bedroom and today I found what I believe is a carpet beetle larvae inching along on the seam to my couch. I also found a live adult carpet beetle in the bed a few days before I tore my bed apart. Hopefully someone can help me determine what is going on. I'm starting to think it maybe carpet beetles after all.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/155045708@N08/shares/NiH138
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/155045708@N08/shares/m92F24

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 9:50:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bed bugs.

Its a beetle larva. Have a look at the writings on the forum about carpet beetles to see how these could be the issue.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 10:55:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like a species of Anthrenus carpet beetle larva.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Pnelson

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 15:51:30
    #

Login to Send PM

In both pictures? Sorry for pestering just want to be 100% sure before I can be relieved.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 16:07:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Pnelson - 15 minutes ago  » 
    In both pictures? Sorry for pestering just want to be 100% sure before I can be relieved.

Large size image definitely, but smaller image sized one is difficult to say exactly, but looks like one. Why is this picture so much smaller?

6. Pnelson

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 17:54:28
    #

Login to Send PM

The second one was taken on a box spring and I was trying to take pictures of the side I should have zoomed in on one. I could try to get a better picture. I still have the box springs store in my detached garage in the mattress protesters to contain what was on them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,319 posts in 42,984 topics over 129 months by 18,860 of 19,418 members. Latest: wouldliketosleepagain, Jweesh, Bert230