Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Bed bugs on private planes

(18 posts)
  1. cookbugz

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 9:19:46
    #

Login to Send PM

We were lucky enough to fly on a small private plane. It was just us and the pilot. A "friend" says planes are crawling with bed bugs. Have there been many reports that people know of, of bed bugs on small planes (Cessna, Piper Cubs). Our luggage was in the passenger compartment with us. We did not see any bugs on the plane nor in our luggage. I have a BB monitor in my bedroom.

What do you think? Major risk or unlikely?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 10:04:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Anything is possible, but a non-commercial vehicle like a private plane wouldn't concern me at all.

3. cookbugz

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 10:16:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you very much.

4. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 11:31:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, large commercial planes would seem to be the bigger risk with so many more people coming and going with their carry-on bags every day. I fly a few times a year and always look things over and never see anything there, and I would think private planes would be even less likely than commercial planes, just because of the numbers.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 11:39:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Minimal risk unless the pilot of a recently previous passenger had an issue at home.

The reason why airlines have issues are out lined below:

• Greater number of people = greater risk of introduction
    • Planes are like hotel beds which are sat/slept in multiple times per day
    • The turn around and staff procedures on commercial planes are so weak issues can easily go undetected

I would not go as far as to say its a major source of bed bugs for people and I ALWAYS check the seat when I get on the plane much to the annoyance of the cabin crew but then again I rarely travel without wearing company clothing so can easily explain myself.

Hope that helps keep perspective. I would far rather fly small planes than big for the view alone. One trip I took was over the Grand Canyon, the FlickR link is below:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHnY48Z

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 11:51:27
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    What do you do to check the seat? I've heard of people taking them apart - do you do that?

7. cookbugz

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 12:14:40
    #

Login to Send PM

David, I love your shots of the Grand Canyon. Thank you and all for your advice and comments. I'll just keep checking my monitors, but am resting easier. I like the "minimal risk" part. It seems like the pilot would have had to have recently flown a passenger who had BB's in his house which then crawled into his luggage, which then would have crawled out of his luggage and into the plane, and then crawled into our luggage. An unlikely cascade of events, but as I say, I will keep checking those monitors.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 12:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you find me a good detailed image of a seat that I can use as a basis I will mark on the "hot spots" that should be inspected.

I would have published a video on this subject but security does not allow me to record such footage and I am aware that some airlines are not all that friendly towards me.

If it helps the risk is in the region of 2 seat per plane per year and considered a significant enough issue it has been written about in advances in the biology and management of the modern bed bug. Due in part to the complexities of the environment and working within it rather than its frequency.

It certainly does not stop me planning flights.

David

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 12:21:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi cookbugz,

Thanks for understanding. Dare I say it:

keep-calm-and-monitor-4-bedbugs by David Cain, on Flickr

Its the blitz spirit.

David

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 15:40:26
    #

Login to Send PM

cookbugz - 3 hours ago  » 
    David, I love your shots of the Grand Canyon. Thank you and all for your advice and comments. I'll just keep checking my monitors, but am resting easier. I like the "minimal risk" part. It seems like the pilot would have had to have recently flown a passenger who had BB's in his house which then crawled into his luggage, which then would have crawled out of his luggage and into the plane, and then crawled into our luggage. An unlikely cascade of events, but as I say, I will keep checking those monitors.

Could be the pilot, especially on small aircraft, and not passengers. In some instances, bed bugs might be on clothing, at least coats, and might not have to crawl out of luggage at all. Could be on luggage and not inside. I've seen some airports where you can have your carry-on luggage sent through an inspection and then wrapped in plastic.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  11. cookbugz

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 15:52:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow. How common is this? How worried should I be?

12. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 16:33:46
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    You have a new market - airplanes for monitors. How about also taxicabs?

13. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 16:47:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou,
    I know when going through security everyone's carry-on stuff goes through a machine. How much of a risk is that for bed bugs? Also, what about checked-in baggage?

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 19:20:40
    #

Login to Send PM

cookbugz - 3 hours ago  » 
    Wow. How common is this? How worried should I be?

Unless you have a tip that there's a particular problem with the airline, etc., it's probably not particularly likely.

Saying something could happen isn't the same as saying it happens all the time.
    People have gotten bed bugs from all kinds of places from taxis to coffee bars, but they're not everywhere. So when someone mentions checking a seat, like David did, it's a precaution.

I glance down on any seat before sitting, but don't do a full on inspection. I inspect hotel rooms for about five minutes (but don't do any heavy lifting in the process).
    I treat luggage and contents after a trip (dryer/Packtite) because it gives me peace of mind, in case I picked something up in a hotel room. If you're taking a trip, this might be an idea.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  15. cookbugz

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 28 2017 19:35:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Once again, I am in your debt, everyone. Thank you.

16. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Mar 29 2017 3:31:20
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 10 hours ago  » 
    Lou,
    I know when going through security everyone's carry-on stuff goes through a machine. How much of a risk is that for bed bugs? Also, what about checked-in baggage?

You basically don't have to worry about it -- chance is extremely low. Checked in also low for transfer.

17. KeepingALevelHead

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 30 2017 18:19:11
    #

Login to Send PM

A few years ago, you said that you thought the odds of picking up bed bugs on a flight were small because the estimated pieces of luggage with bugs was something like one in every 100,000 suitcases. Have those figures changed in the last 5-10 years or are you doing a similar estimate with planes?

Can you explain how you would check a seat?

bed-bugscouk - 2 days ago  » 
    Hi,
    If you find me a good detailed image of a seat that I can use as a basis I will mark on the "hot spots" that should be inspected.
    I would have published a video on this subject but security does not allow me to record such footage and I am aware that some airlines are not all that friendly towards me.
    If it helps the risk is in the region of 2 seat per plane per year and considered a significant enough issue it has been written about in advances in the biology and management of the modern bed bug. Due in part to the complexities of the environment and working within it rather than its frequency.
    It certainly does not stop me planning flights.
    David

18. KeepingALevelHead

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 30 2017 18:21:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou- can you talk about what you believe the risks are with regular plane activity (sitting in a seat, having bag under the seat, bag above, etc)? Not to thread jack, but there are also other circumstances that I'm curious about- sitting in the seat yourself, having something like a car seat for a baby strapped into a seat, etc. Are these areas that you'd do more than a preliminary look over or would you take full decon measures after?

loubugs - 1 day ago  » 

FayeState - 10 hours ago  » 
    Lou,

You basically don't have to worry about it -- chance is extremely low. Checked in also low for transfer.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991