Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

Bed bugs on airplanes.

(92 posts)
  1. BB_Slayer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2009 12:47:25
    #

Login to Send PM

All we're hearing about is TERROR ALERT and the UNDERWEAR BOMBER. I've never seen any discussions anywhere about bed bugs on the airlines.

About half of the passengers on any flight just came from their hotel. The other half came from home. Either way, they could have a suitcase full of infected clothing. The suitcases all get thrown together in the overhead storage bins and in the cargo hold. The bugs have several hours to spread themselves around amongst the luggage.

Then there are the seats on the plane. Upholstered. You're strapped in for several hours, nearly motionless, a lot like being asleep. Luggage is stored directly under the seats and above the seats in the overhead bins.

This sounds like bed bug heaven, doesn't it?

Why isn't the TSA running luggage through a PackTite X-Ray machine or something?

I wonder if air travel is the primary cause of bed bug transmission.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2009 14:29:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Slayer, this issue gas been covered here, including a recent episode of a woman bitten in flight, then ridiculed on a travel blog for expecting a pest free trip.
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/search.php?search=Flight
    The awareness, will and technology is not quite there, yet. There is no pack tite BB x-ray. You could, of course, use your tried and true BIC lighter method on your next trip.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. BedBugGuru

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2009 21:27:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep...this is one way to get bed bugs. I recommend checking your luggage thoroughly after it has been on a plane. The bed bugs are usually going to be in the luggage, so they will just move from plane to plane while the plane is in-flight.

I came across a situation where a mattress infested in Germany was transported to the USA, and the woman's son started getting bit by bed bugs two years after she was infested! The guy was getting bitten by German bed bugs!

4. BB_Slayer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2009 21:49:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Perhaps that's why disposable lighters are allowed in carry-on bags. Smoking hasn't been allowed on airplanes for about 15 years... so why else allow lighters?

5. bedbuggery

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 5:16:09
    #

Login to Send PM

The correct term is of coarse "infested" not "infected." Also acceptable may be "colonize." This is the word that concerns me about planes. Especially international flights, to what extent is a developed colony prevented on a given plane?

6. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 7:04:19
    #

Login to Send PM

VERY soon will we see the first media coverage about Insect Inferno for airplanes!

If they can do a whole apartment then an aircraft cabin should be right up their alley.

Can we imagine the I.I. guys in discussions with the airlines right now!

At first the airlines will keep it hush-hush. Then later once a certain tipping-point of bb awareness has been reached (won't be long now) they'll actually advertise it as a feature! Until all their competitors are doing it too and it becomes Standard Operating Procedure, something everyone expects and it's taken for granted.

For 25 bucks extra you can leave your luggage on board during the treatment, then they deliver it to your home or hotel a couple of days later.

7. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 7:58:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I know a woman from Denver who swears that's how they got bed bugs. She actually saw bugs crawling on her carry-on bag when she arrived home. She had stayed at her her daughter's bed-bug free home, but had stored the bag under the seat in front of of her on the way home. She now believes that the overhead bins would have been a better choice. What do you think?

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 8:54:41
    #

Login to Send PM

On my most recent flight, I zip locked my carry on and placed it overhead. My instincts (not expertise) tell me that the most likely place for BB to hang out in a vehicle is under the seat.

9. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 9:03:30
    #

Login to Send PM

AAAArrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh....

husband has to travel agaaaaaaaain this week. I hate airplane travel. Enough already....everybody just stay home!! What's with all this travel, for crying out loud. What's to see that's so important??? Get a television, see nature on the television. Get a a web cam and see your freakin' grandchildren on the computer. What's so freakin' good about those grandchildren anyway??? They never even write a thank you note when you send them anything....Geeeeezzz

it's a good thing i'm not president...i'd give everyone one month to get to where they wanted to spend the rest of their freakin' lives and then i'd ban all air, train and bus travel. Would ban all libraries (get on the Internet if you want to get a book). What's so good about freakin' books, anyway?? All this reading going on!! Don't people know that bbs (and other bugs) can travel in books?? Get a freakin' Nook or something like that. Use your own imagination and think up your own stories...You like biographies? get them on television or the computer.

There's a whole lot of other things i'll banning as well if i ever get to be president!!

Don't get me started...airplanes....we have to be flying all over the place...can't stay on the ground....geeeeeezzz

10. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 9:25:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle

That is funny...

Let's start a new political party based on your vision of Just Pick a Place to Live in 30 Days...

Moving from one location to another is highly over-rated... Think about the impact on our carbon footprint... We could tell OPEC to eat their oil

11. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 9:59:48
    #

Login to Send PM

On a more serious note

I am a big proponent of hard sided luggage... If I was an investor... I would be researching bed bug resistant luggage designs.

Nylon cloth luggage can harbor bed bugs on the outer surfaces... also provides attractive crevices around the pockets and trim areas.

The airlines are still taking a head in the sand approach... eventually the news media will focus a spotlight on the issue and it will play out much like the clothing store and movie theater stories that have been featured in the media in the last few months.

The airlines are in a difficult position... It is impractical to screen all of the passengers and aircraft cabins are loaded with attractive harborage locations... much like cruise ships and hotels.

The obvious solution ...K9 inspection, monitors and gas fumigation will be expensive on a fleet wide basis... The airlines are not eager to increase their overhead expenses until public perceptions of bed bug infestation risk threatens to start affecting their revenue stream.

12. effinbedbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 12:02:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I swear that is where we got ours! The airline lost my husbands bag for 2 months! When he was finally convinced he was never going to see it again and began filling out a form for reimbursement of its contents, the found it and it arrived at our house. Soon after we began noticing blood spots on our sheets! I picture the bag sitting in an infested room in the airport for days and days. Piled up with other infected suitcases. Watch out if your bag gets lost and the airline has to deliver it later!

13. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 12:12:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm assuming that Deedle is joking here. (I haven't had breakfast yet, so I'm not at 100% because on top of being overworked at the moment, I'm sick, but. . .)

In case anyone doesn't read it as a joke, two things to point out:

1. Some of us would basically only see our families once every few years if airplane travel didn't exit. My family lives 3,000 miles away. If it weren't for airplanes, I couldn't afford the time it takes for trips to get back to see the family except at times of the year that I'm "off" (and by off what I really mean is not obligated to be in the office every day despite having more work than you can actually accomplish between 9 and 5 each weekday.)

2. Let's be clear, as it is airlines cannot even be required to do passenger bag matching on domestic flights in the US. (Passenger bag matching is supposed to happen on int'l flights. I believe the regulation of it is partly because of Pan Am 103 in 1988.) Passenger bag matching means that the airline must check to see that every passenger who checks a bag on a plane actually physically gets on the fight him or herself. However, if you've ever flown regularly, you realize very quickly that the short connection times at hub airports would make passenger bag matching impossible on domestic routes. In addition, affluent frequent flyers--the bread and butter of airline profits--would all jump ship to private jets if they had to get to the airport any earlier than they already do.

Airlines make more money if they turn planes over faster--they pay for gate time.

The general public wants to keep paying low fares. Raise the fares, and they stop optional travel.

In short, the airlines can't operate at a profit if they reduce the number of flights they're turning around at a gate per day, and they can't passenger bag match without reducing the number of flights, so they're kind of stuck.

Now, think about how much time it would take to screen/treat luggage for bed bugs if the industry can't manage to do it for something security related and you start to see the problem.

3. Not everyone can afford a computer and internet access. While computers are within the price range of many people, there are still plenty of people for whom that's a financial stretch. I'm not ever going to be willing to cut those people off from reading.

14. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 13:09:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Buggy...

you assumed right.
    a bit more tongue in cheek than normal...but really...
    30 days to get where you wanted to spend the rest of our lives?
    me? President? Ha! (they'd have a wonderful time picking my "history" apart!!! -- Oh brother would THAT be ugly) You'll never see me nominated for Supreme Court Justice either for this very same reason)

(but now that i think of it, a nice leisurely 3,000 mile walk to see my family on the west coast might be just what my waistline needs. )

And don't worry...when i'm president i'll be banning assigning the amount of work that can't be accomplished in 8 hours of work 5 days a week; snarky supervisors; private jets for rich people;

and i'll be signing executive orders requiring that everybody who wants it and can't afford it gets free Internet access where they live (even if it is not in every single residential dwelling). And you, Buggy, will be appointed to some really cool position...but whatever position it is, it's got to have the word "Czar" in the title...Yeah!

sorry you're not feeling well...hope you feel better soon.

15. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 13:12:15
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbuggery - 7 hours ago  » 
    The correct term is of coarse "infested" not "infected." Also acceptable may be "colonize." This is the word that concerns me about planes. Especially international flights, to what extent is a developed colony prevented on a given plane?

Is two bbs a colony?

What is one bb?

16. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 14:15:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I love the way that you posed that question... Reminds me of the old zen riddle... What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Personally, I would think of one bed bug as a sign of an infestation...

However, I see that some dictionaries tend to define an infestation as a large number of insects... and list overrun as a synonym.

I believe that infected is used as a synonym for infested in England.

What is one bed bug? ... Great question

17. O Buggery

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 14:23:58
    #

Login to Send PM

DeedleBeetle - 1 hour ago  » What is one bb?

One BB is an intrepid explorer, planting the flag of bedbug conquest.

Two BBs are the foundation of a new dynasty.

18. BBQueen

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 14:26:00
    #

Login to Send PM

DougSummersMS - 9 minutes ago  » 

What is one bed bug? ... Great question

One too many.

19. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 14:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbuggery - 7 hours ago

Just to be technical, the word should not be coarse but course. And, yes, infested and not infected.

One, especially a mated female, is one (and soon, more) too many.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  20. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 14:58:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou..

By the way, when you identified my recent bb as female....were there any signs that she had....(Gosh, i hate to even ask, but i must)....recently given birth???? Is there any way to tell that kind of thing?

21. BugsInTO

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 20:20:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle for President - Yours if you want it - just make your plans.

We don't fly because we can't afford to really go any where, so we would be mostly unaffected by Deedle's Presidential edicts.

But, we swtiched to duffle bags. The idea is that everything goes in the dryer when we get home, including the luggage.

Back to the 30 days to get where you are going and stay there. Sometimes bedbugs fit the metaphor of social disease and in this case I was thinking of it as bedbugs causing a new kind of monogamy as in "I don't sleep around, I only sleep in my own bed."

22. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 20:52:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Can't an airline just route their plane to an airport in whatever hemisphere is currently summer and leave it there for a day with all systems off? Hopefully, without passengers, as they have sometimes been known to do?

23. Louise

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 21:21:10
    #

Login to Send PM

DougSummersMS - 11 hours ago  » 
    On a more serious note
    I am a big proponent of hard sided luggage... If I was an investor... I would be researching bed bug resistant luggage designs.
    Nylon cloth luggage can harbor bed bugs on the outer surfaces... also provides attractive crevices around the pockets and trim areas.

The advantage of soft luggage (as in frameless soft luggage) - especially in as-yet-packtiteless-Canada - is that it can be thrown into the dryer and disinfected that way.

To me, that is a huge plus in its favor.

24. diebbsdie

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 21:30:09
    #

Login to Send PM

i think hard sided, vacuum sealed luggage with no cracks or crevices would be genius. then you would know nothing got in there!

once you got to your destination, you could just spray the luggage with alcohol outside, and then know there would be no bed bugs inside!

25. Louise

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 21:37:25
    #

Login to Send PM

diebbsdie - 6 minutes ago  » 
    i think hard sided, vacuum sealed luggage with no cracks or crevices would be genius. then you would know nothing got in there!
    once you got to your destination, you could just spray the luggage with alcohol outside, and then know there would be no bed bugs inside!

Hmmm.

But what about any eggs that may have been laid on the outside of the luggage...?

26. 123bugs

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 22:30:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe those (eggs) could be sprayed and wiped off?

I wonder if it would be a good idea to take hard luggage and tape all around where the sides join for the (plane) trip - then spray and wipe the outside when you arrive, take off the tape, spray and wipe underneath, and then open it?

This whole travel thing is going to be a mute point soon - a few more weeks of bedbug expenditures and I'll be too broke to ever have to worry about it!

Sigh.....

27. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 6 2010 21:29:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle for President! I don't care what anyone else says.

Flying...hmm, I dunno. People can afford to fly? Really?

I used to fly 1000 miles each way once a year to see my sickly mother who lives in a different bb capital. Last year I didn't go. I don't think I can afford to go this year either. Hell, I was just turned down for my home loan modification and advised that maybe I could spend less on groceries (!)-- "oh, and by the way, I hear you saying you don't have cable t.v., only internet -- and that you need it for work. But still, it's considered a nonessential expense." Considering that I whittled myself down to 110 sickly pounds last year over all of this crap, the suggestion that perhaps I spend too much on FOOD, in one of the most expensive cities in the country at that, kinda made me want to hurt someone.

Sorry -- off topic. Had to vent.

Seriously, though, the only person I know who can afford to fly much makes twice as much money I do and also has the luxury of not having to pay for bb treatment if she gets them; she rents.

That said, I know from a previous life that there are airports in some countries that have little kiosks where you can pay to have your luggage shrink-wrapped. I assumed that was more to prevent having people smuggle drugs in your luggage, and I doubt they'd agree to shrink-wrap your actual person (and yes, I'm joking, not actually suggesting this, people! ), but maybe it's a start?

Grumpily, "reluctantly" yours (my leopard print Victoria's Secret panties all in a knot),

--The Reluctant Entomologist
    p.s. I think I need to call it a day; if I still have any bbs, I should go feed them, no?
    Also, I really do think Deedle totally rocks and would make a good president!

28. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 6 2010 22:06:12
    #

Login to Send PM

if everyone votes twice like you posted twice, Reluctant, i might stand a chance on election day!

ohhh and how i wish that the stress of bbs (and stress generally) would cause me to stop eating. Absolutely nothing makes me lose my appetite...Well, maybe if i had to watch bloody violent executions (not those bloodless, gasless and electricityless (huh?) gentle intravenous executions they do now days) maaaayyyyyyybe that miiiiiiight put a damper on my appetite. My dad always mapped out his next surgical procedures on his napkin during dinner while explaining exactly what he planned to do from beginning to end. We could eat through anything being cut, sliced, diced, torn, removed, amputated, suctioned or sutured...we wouldn't miss a beat or a mouthful during dinner....While lifting dinner fork to mouth it would be: "Mom, what's for breakfast tomorrow morning?"

i love the idea of having hubby all wrapped up in plastic wrapping at the airport. Funny visual...think i've seen something like that on the Internet... ;-D

29. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 6 2010 22:41:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh my...the digressions! Love it.

Anyway, about airplane travel and yes I just told my husband that we can take out the part of the budget that says, "vacation.." cause we won't go on one for a long time and if we do, we will CAMP with our own tent and sleeping bags which we have packtited before travel in our OWN car. Geez..we are going to save sooo much money.

In any event, the day I DO have to travel by plane again..then they best come up with a spray that is cheap that we can spray on our luggage that says to the BBs, "stay away!" Or better yet, "if you touch this you die!" Also something that doesn't hurt humans. So come on, what is that magical formula? hhmmmmm? You're right though the motivation to invent something like this will only come when the bb boom hits revenue streams. (as if airline travel is even fun anymore!).

30. Strabat

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 6 2010 23:07:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Airlines need to start with some basic cleaning! Just some simple steps would help. Do they ever get vacuumed? Hard surfaces wiped down - with anything? It doesn't seem like it.

31. 123bugs

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 6 2010 23:24:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm getting pretty upset by this thread!! It is just so depressing. I have to go on a trip. I was getting to the point that I thought I had my travel plan. Putting my suitcases in the luggage protectors etc etc etc. Was a tiny bit hopeful.

Now I'm thinking - if your luggage gets all infested on the plane, whats the point of putting it in a bedbug proof bag at the hotel? To think of your luggage getting infested on the plane, in the taxi etc and so forth before you even arrive at the bedbug infested hotel?? It just keeps getting worse and worse!

An expert from this site (you know who you arre - thanks for your help) suggested I put 3 layers of plastic wrap on my luggage before putting it on the plane. I kind of like that idea - something you could potentially do with each hotel change, etc. - but I'm not sure the person I am travelling with would be seen in public with me if I did this. [Correct - they have never had bedbugs - otw they would just comment on my (borrowed) genius!]

Travel has suddenly become over-rated.........hope I get over it........

32. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 6 2010 23:44:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Just travel with a giant ziploc bag and put it in the overhead. People will wonder, but who cares. They'll find out someday why you're so cautious! (unfortunately).

33. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 0:50:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe they should rename those full-body xray machines 'insect detectors'. People will fly eagerly through security.

Plastic wrapped luggage? Would that be a scream for extra irritating scrutiny from Customs?

I haven't flown anywhere in a few years. It's probably truly because I'm broke, but just the thought of getting on a plane stresses me out. All I see is my knees beside my ears, nowhere to put my elbows, and having a half oz. bag of peanuts thrown at me. Shame. If it wasn't fun once at least it was endurable. Or is it only me and my sour grapes?

34. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 9:59:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle, your posts crack me up. You have my vote as well. I can see the K9's checking out the white house before you get there Sorry you have bed bugs, but I'm really glad you're here.

35. WestSide22

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 10:58:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm just going to wear one of those giant full body condoms from Naked Gun when I leave the house.

36. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 11:01:08
    #

Login to Send PM

nycyn...I thought they stopped handing out peanuts on airplanes! Was it the cost of peanuts or the fact that people were having allergic reactions?

123Bugs... So this is what i have my husband do. He knows his luggage is clean when he leaves the house. He travels with 3 construction bags...everything is in a carryon bag -- he doesn't need to check anything unless he's going far away and then, i don' t worry about it. But on these short trips, he uses the carryon bag. Before he puts the bag in the overhead compartment, he puts a contractor bag on it and tapes it up well. Then when he's getting off the plane he cuts the bag where the handle is as small as he can and then puts tape over that hole when he's getting into the taxi cab. He takes the handle tape off when he gets to hotel. In hotel he puts the used bag in a smaller cheap plastic bag and tapes it up. Then he puts a fresh bag over his suitcase which is placed in the bathtub. He works out of that bag and then when he's ready to come home he'll toss that plastic bag and put the old plastic bag with the handle cut out on his suitcase...tape up the handle hole for the taxi ride and then retape it once he's on board. When he lands he'll tape up the handle hole again before getting in the taxi to come home and before coming in the front door of the buildling, he slips his carryon into a fresh contractor bag and tapes it up.

I meet him at the door and he gets one short peck before he steps in the house. (He's negotiated that kiss because he says that otherwise coming home feels too clinical) Once inside the apartment door he strips down and while he's carefully removing his clothing and putting those in a contractor bag (a used one from home that's been PackTited)...i'm loading up the PT with the carryon bag. here's where we have some exposure...i have to open the contractor bags...i try to save the new one but i have to get inside the carryon to take out the toothpaste, cologne, mustache wax (yes, ladies, mustache wax, but that's another story..) etc., then i put those things in another bag i can closely inspect while i crank up the PT. His clothing gets tossed in there as well and i set it for a good long time.

Husband goes directly into the shower...it does not matter how tired he is.!! If he collapses in the shower, well...sorry....but there is no way he can go to his desk or sit down anywhere until he is completely showered head to toe!

If it's a longer flight with a checked bag...just put a plastic bag on it after you get it out of baggage claim (if you can't prewrap it with those big plastic wrap machines they have at JFK, for instance). Then follow the same procedure as outlined above. That should do it.

MyWorstFear....glad you got a chuckle....oh...the White House? The days of having strangers (i know, it's everyone's house but darn it, i have to live and work there) traipsing through just to look at stuff would be over. We'll put a virtual tour on the Internet...Having people walking through the WH like that is just too much risk of bb infiltration. Must be a national security issue, don'tcha think? Upon the positive election results, i'd immediately call the PT people and see if they can design some sort of dry sauna like machine for visitors to the WH to sit in for a half hour before their appointments with me and other staff members. Staff members would also have to have this treatment before starting their workday at the WH. Anything that enters the WH will have to go through the heat process...

(husband just looked over my shoulder and read this post. He says: "Stop being so silly. How's about some breakfast")

Search&Destroy....sorry about the digressions...i don't know how i got so off the track with the dinner with family story. Oh, i remember...it's all Reluctant's fault! She said she was 110 pounds. I haven't been 110 since i was 20 years old. I'm soooo jealous! You better believe that when i'm president, being a 110 pound woman will be against he law as well...That'll learn ya' (Harrumph!)

37. WestSide22

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 11:06:03
    #

Login to Send PM

@Deedle, is it a wheely-bag? How does he manage rolling it through the airport if it's in the bag?

38. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 11:12:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi WestSide

No...last time he didn't use a wheely bag...he was just going for two nights and used the hanging suit bag piece of the luggage set..You know the one i mean? Has a hook at the top and holds suits and other hanging clothing. Everything he needed fit in there including his laptop which he put in another protective bag.

This time when he travels (he'll go monday morning...EEEeekkk) he'll use another bag which is a medium size shoulder bag that goes with the same set. I wanted to send him with that one last time but i couldn't find it. It had been PackTited and put away...but i found it and it'll hold everything nicely.

When he travels far away, i don't worry about contamination (at least i didn't in the past) but since i'm going with him next time, i'll figure something out for that.

39. Entomophobe

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 11:22:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely Deedle for president. Anyone married to a man who uses moustache wax is certainly qualified to run the country.

On a different note, I am always the lucky one who gets the little note in their checked suitcase saying, "your bag has been gently rifled through by untrained monkeys in an effort to improve security measures." Other than "decon" once you're home, as we affectionately call it in our house, I don't see how I could protect my checked luggage from that.

PS - Saw a cockroach on a continental flight, so I don't see why bed bugs wouldn't be forming vast colonies under the seat cushions/flotation devices...

40. WestSide22

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 11:52:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I second Deedle's nomination for President!

I wonder if luggage is actually safer when it's checked. I imagine it gets awfully cold in the storage bins (based on how cold my clothing is when I finally get it). For carry-on, I usually use one of those wheely bags, but other that actually carrying it onto the plane, putting it in a plastic bag, and then carrying the plastic-wrapped bag off the plane .... I don't know how to handle that. I think I just need to invest in one of those hard-topped bags.

And yes, Entomophobe, I think there's more than a floatation device under the seat!

41. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 11:54:20
    #

Login to Send PM

DB said: nycyn...I thought they stopped handing out peanuts on airplanes! Was it the cost of peanuts or the fact that people were having allergic reactions?

Yeah? They even took away our steenking peanuts?

When I hit the mega-billions I'll fly again. Check this out, if you dare.

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2010/09/nick-gleis/

42. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 12:59:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Nice!! But i'll be flying around in this:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/on-board/3652/Overview#tab-Videos/06266_00

Okay...okay...waaaaaaitt....geeeezzz.... for balance and "equal time" please see:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/on-board/all/44#tab-Videos/06286_00

43. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 13:15:45
    #

Login to Send PM

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/on-board/all/Overview/22#tab-paper-airplane

Sure looks like a passive monitor to me, but suit yourself.

DeedleBeetle - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Nice!! But i'll be flying around in this:
    http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/on-board/3652/Overview#tab-Videos/06266_00
    Okay...okay...waaaaaaitt....geeeezzz.... for balance and "equal time" please see:
    http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/on-board/all/44#tab-Videos/06286_00

44. WestSide22

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 13:19:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I think we really need Wonder Woman's plane. The bugs would have nowhere to hide!!

45. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 13:19:38
    #

Login to Send PM

HA!! Yeahhh, Nycyn...it does!!! Ohhh nooooo!

46. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 22:59:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle, you are so lucky your husband complies. Mine refuses to follow most of the protocol so that I have to be a guard on duty when he comes home from a trip. Before he'll get in the shower, he'll have to check 9 zillion messages on his stupid computer, eat something, etc., so that it's usually 30 minutes before he'll deign to get in the shower and if there are any bugs, they are probably moving into my house with each minute he delays the inevitable. I'm not going to be home when he comes in from his next trip and I'm dreading what he will/won't do. I just might tell him I had a nanny camera installed by the PCO so I'll know if he's following the rules. He thinks I'm so crazy that he just might believe me!

47. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 23:24:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh MyWorstFear..

You must not be a champion Nagger like me! I've got awards and highest honors in Nagging.

After we were married a couple of years, in order to give hubby a break (and me too 'cause quality nagging really can wear the nagger out) we negotiated an every other day nagging-free schedule. And on those nagging-free days i would sometimes sing sweetly and happily as i prepared the dinner (when he was in hearing distance of course): "Tomorrow, oh tomorrow is Nagging/arguing day" (and i'd sing that in Arabic like an old Egyptian song)...

So...you have got to hone your nagging skills!

And..puleeeeze...who knows exactly how carefully my husband searches his hotel room for bb evidence? And does he look carefully when he sits in a restaurant or is at the offices and warehouses he visits? I assume that he does none of what i ask him to do while he is out of my eye shot and range of nagging. That's the safer assumption.

Shall i send you some tapes of me nagging?

48. 123bugs

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 0:06:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle -
    Thanks for the info :P. What is a 'construction' bag? Is it what others refer to as a banana bag? Is it just a bag with really thick plastic? I think I"m going to buy some hardsided luggage tomorrow - found some hard-sided Samsonite (as Doug S suggested in 2 yr old post) that doesn't have a zipper - has a tongue-in-groove closure - the lady said is completely waterproof. That can't be bad - maybe can keep bedbugs out. In any case, I was going to put clear tape all around the outside of the bag too. And maybe wrap the whole bag in plastic too, as suggested by David. Then when I arrive will spray with Rest Easy spray and then wipe the outside all down, and then put it in a suitcase encasement or at minimum a plastic bag.

What do you think? Thanks!

49. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 0:33:34
    #

Login to Send PM

i think they're called contractor bags and they're very heavy clear plastic bags. You'll need good tape to keep them closed tightly.

i think your plan for a hard suit case sounds good...and i like putting the tape all around it.

Remind your husband to put his suitcase in the bathtub when he first goes into the room and until he can check to be sure there's no evidence of bbs. I told my husband not to even use the little unfolding suit case holder thing. He can put his suitcase on the toilet or sink while he's in the shower for a few minutes.

Ugh!

50. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 1:47:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Deeds and my worst fear,
    I could give a seminar on nagging. But, in defense of myself, the nagging is a result of somebody, who shall not be named, saying ok, but never following through.

I bet you I can outnag you any day!!! lol. not that it's a quality trait i'm proud of. Deeds, since you're the attorney, maybe you can hook us up with a patent attorney and we can patent OUR NO NONSENSE Nagging tapes. you're asking OUR?????, yeah, it was my idea to patent it, so YOUR tapes turned into OUR tapes. lol..

51. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 2:03:44
    #

Login to Send PM

No problem...i may be a nagger but i'm a sharer! And i only seem to nag the one person of the male persuasion i'm living with....so everyone else is pretty safe!

Nagging as a business, huh? Can't be healthy for us. Lots of negative chemicals surging through our systems. Maybe we can try to figure out how to STOP nagging and teach people that!! I read somewhere that nagging really isn't effective...that positive reinforcement in the form of praise (and other 'rewards' - if you get what i mean) works best for people and especially men. So we'll just have to dig way down and see what on Earth we can possibly find to praise our guys for. There's got to be something, right? ... maybe alot of things?....i wonder why they mostly go unnoticed?

My hubby fixed the screen door and replaced my windshield wipers yesterday. That's good....and i only had to nag him about 4 times about the screen and maybe 3 times about the wipers. That's not too bad...

(somebody shoot me)

edited to say: By the way, i think that would be a copyright...not a patent...but here's the way to do it: We design a HOW TO NAG EFFECTIVELY and market it to the person in the family who is the nagger and then we design a HOW TO BREAK NAGGING ADDICTION and market that one to the targets of the nagging to give to their naggers! MOOooooohhahahaaa....

52. kannon_bosatsu

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 2:08:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I can just hear Samuel Jackson in my head, "Enough is enough! I have had it with these (bleep) bed bugs on this (bleep) plane!

P.S. It seems I need to take nagging lessons because I'm only effective about 45% of the time.

53. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 2:11:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Ha!

54. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 2:22:11
    #

Login to Send PM

It should be targeted at those that are aware of their nagging, want to stop, hears themselves nagging while nagging, yet can't seem to turn it off. You're asking yourselves now, "how does she know so much about this target customer? Inquiring minds want to know".

Hint: I may just have to buy a copy of this book, tapes, whatever format we're gonna try to hawk. Lol

55. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 16:49:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I definitely want our nation's next/ first "first man" to be a user of mustache wax.

Just so everyone knows, I am back from 110 to 123 lbs. (Musta lost a lot of blood all of those months!) But hey, I gotta squeeze into those fancy bb panties, you know, if I'm on the prowl for some hot, traumatic, buggy lovin'!

Actually, no. Somewhat glad my EXhubby is not around to require nagging. This was a man who would go to bed in his shoes if he felt like it. And months after my own pestilence (we were friends again by this time), he got them at work! (No connection; we'd gone our separate ways a few years earlier; gotta love the pre summer of 2010 NY divorce laws!) I'm the one who got custody of the bugs; his must've been illegitimate workplace fling bugs).

When do you think the airlines will start charging extra for the bb free cabin? (Surely that would be extra). And when is everyone going to get wise and start encasing all furniture in plastic like our forbearers?

56. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 20:35:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Reluctant....is THAT why the old folks put plastic on their furniture? I thought it was because they wanted to keep us from slipping grape juice and chewing gum all over it! Still, even with plastic covers, the bbs would still have a place to habor. My grandparents did not use plastic covering on the furniture but i visited many friends whose parents had it. I recall there being many seams and i think bbs would like those seams....Eeeeeekkk!!

and...thanks to Laser...While your first gentlement will need mustache wax, your female president will not!!

Go to bed with shoes on?? OOOoooooo horrible!! Eeegads

57. delorpompom

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 21:27:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I know riding on an airplane was how I got mine. When I think back to that moment, I can't believe how naive I was. I came into my apartment exhausted from the plane ride and my two hour train ride from the airport and plopped my suitcase directly onto my bed in order to unpack it and thus began over a year of woes and unhappiness that is still ongoing, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (Thank God for Vikane fumigation). Two weeks after that I started noticing bites and thought they were spider bites....it took me about 4 more weeks to realize that I'd never been bitten so much by spiders in my entire life and I tore my bed apart. I found about 6 live bed bugs and I thought if I vacuumed I'd be fine. About a week later I had more bites and I've been fighting these things ever since. They've migrated to my ottoman, my futon, my headboard, I even found them in my bathroom! But I will soon be rid of them.

*evil laugh while rubbing hands together*

58. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 12:27:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Reluctant---they told you to buy less food??? Morons! I'm so sorry your loan didn't go through. Have you thought of moving into a rental and vikaning?

I lost a lot of weight during the height of my bed bug problem, but it was mostly due to other factors. However, anemia does cause loss of appetite.

I just got back from flying and staying in a hotel for work. How sad my bed was encased (though the one next to it wasn't so I knew the one I slept in had had problems) and I definitely was getting bites in training sessions (I had decon-ed everything before bringing it in and left the suitcase in the bathroom so the actual training rooms were infested--others were bitten there also). My sadness was for all the other co-workers who wouldn't know to deinfest when they arrived home. And we had a ton of work equipment to bring with us. I kept it on the desk rather than the floor or other bed and hope that worked, but will be packtiting and vikaning everything anyways (and praying). Delorpompom, wanna share a vikane chamber in Nov?

Bed bugs totally suck and are taking over. We were all so scared of cockroaches...

Amy

59. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 12:43:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm up there with you as Nagger of the Year, at least according to my husband. In defense, I only nag (maybe it's more complain than nag) about things that he knows he should be doing, but never does.
    Before bbs, it was cleaning up after himself in the kitchen (is there a reason the man can't get himself a bowl of ice cream without leaving ice cream all over the utensil drawer, freezer, floor, and counter?) now of course, it's about following "the protocol" to prevent bed bugs which he goes out of his way to sabotage.
    Yesterday, he came in 2 hours early from his trip so I was still home. I caught him opening suitcase in garage to take out his suit which he had in 3 heavy plastic garment bags. The policeman/nag in me says "where do you think you are going with that?" He: "I don't want it in the cooker (what he named the PackTite)". Argument ensues, suit and all the plastic garment bags go back into the suitcase and get zipped back up. I promise "I'll take care of it tomorrow" and leave. This morning I go out to garage to "take care of it", and the suit is gone, plastic garment bags are still in the suitcase. Policeman/Nag/Prosecutor (me) asks "where is your suit?" He says "at the cleaners." But I'm not sure I believe him. Now I have to stoop to going through his wallet and finding the cleaner bill to see if he really did bring it to be cleaned. Not an action that I am proud of, but I know you people will understand why I will do it.

60. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 18:21:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh...you ARE a kindred spirit...

and yes...there is a reason they can't get themselves a bowl of ice cream without leaving ice cream all over the utensil drawer, freezer, floor, and counter.....i think part of the reason is that normally they are not the ones doing the sweeping, mopping, cleaning, etc. I think that if my husband had to do the cleaning or pay for someone to come in to clean, that he would be tidier. My husband is substantially older than i am so sometimes i feel bad nagging him when maybe he's really feeling too tired...but it's funny, ya' know? 'cause he's not too tired for some things...hmmmmm....never seems to be too tired for that for some reason....and i've asked him (when he's said he'll take the garbage out later, and i know that it'll be there when i wake up in the morning, whether if i told him that i needed him to get dressed and go out with me right that very moment to pick up our 12 million dollar lottery win (we're not gamblers) or if i told him to get ready to go out that very second because i was going to let him have a romantic encounter with another lady....he honestly tells me he'd be dressed and ready to go in 30 seconds!!! So, it's more about laziness, i think, than anything else.

In the exchange with your husband about the incoming suit. I would have liked to understand just why he did not want the suit in the "cooker." What did he think would happen to it. I would have taken my guy through that discussion quickly. I'm detective grade so if i were not happy with the explanation about why that particular suit could not go into the PT, i'd want to see that special suit and whatever else was in the bag. (Maybe it's a surprise present for me he didn't want me to see? Or maybe it was his out of town leather and lace french maid outfit??? Heeyyy...you never know...i adore my husband but i've seen and heard a lot of stuff...that's why i'm detective grade and not just a beat cop!)

61. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 18:38:48
    #

Login to Send PM

You know, actually I think stupidity is way more rampant than infidelity. Sneakiness is just a cover-up for whatever stupid thing your significant other doesn't want to 'fess up to -- such as...

"What???? You brought ANOTHER pet into the house? Yes, right; it's awfully cute. But...you couldn't have at least consulted me first?"

or

"WHY exactly is it that you thought you needed to bring home a 20th salvaged door someone was throwing out, when really, 7 years from now, you won't be around to do anything with it, and it'll just be piled in the part of my basement that's exactly below where I sleep at night?"

or

"Did you seriously have so much to drink that you couldn't be bothered to take your shoes off before getting into bed???"

And yes, I did say we're friends now. (I guess for the same reason mothers still speak to their children????)

Or maybe it was the fact that I started laughing hysterically during divorce negotiations -- right around the time when he said that he'd left a lot of junk and wanted to come and take it after all of these years. I was laughing, but on the inside I was crying and maybe throwing up a little.

Sorry; should we make this a new thread about uncooperative significant others????

62. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 21:13:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys...i guess it's my fault...but i don't think it's possible to be more off topic than we are now. What was this thread about anyway....Oh yeah, air travel?

So my hubby is reserved to fly on tuesday morning...sit in the airport before take off a couple of hours, then get in a taxi from airport to hotel (another exposure point i'm sure) then into hotel ..then warehouse, then back to hotel....then some restaurant....then back to hotel to sleep...then back to warehouse next day and then taxi, airport, taxi..home....YYeeechkkkk... So many exposure points.

Thank goodness for the PackTite...

63. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 21:28:49
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband was actually telling the truth. I stooped really low and went thru his wallet and there was the dry cleaner's bill, with one suit, with date and time. He fights me on the whole bed bug protocol, and you're right Deedle, it's because HE never did any of the prep. I did it all (I had a little bit of help, but not from him). He hates when I use the Packtite, because he thinks the whole idea is silly, and since it was a hot summer, he decided the Packtite made the mud room too hot. Too bad, because it's now a permanent fixture and I almost want a second one, just in case anything should happen to this one. Everyone who's getting married should register for one, lol, so that when they return from their honeymoon they don't bring back any unwanted visitors!

64. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 21:46:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I tried to hijack your post to make it about how I blame it all on my ex-husband. It wasn't you; it was me.

OMG. How can I make jokes about bbs AND hijacking??????

Registry! Brilliant. What all does the Packtite Corp. make now besides the heater and the beacon? They've gotta step it up; if I remarry, I'm definitely registering with them. Hell, my sister bought me my Packtite as a sort of combined Xmas/birthday/divorce gift. I get dibs on divorceregistry.com , just to be clear ; I mentioned it years ago...

Deedle, your hubby is lucky to have you, and I'm sure it'll all be fine, thanks to you!

If the whole lawyer thing isn't doing it for you, you could always hire yourself out as a sort of bb personal assistant consultant; you're good.

65. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 21:58:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I think my husband just felt sorry for me (repeated bawling episodes) which is why he cooperates and follows my protocol. Fortunately he has a sympathetic bone and knows I'll just check myself into the looney bin if he fails to cooperate.

He likes the packtite (it's definitely my new best friend) and often says, when cooking.."we're having a BBQ!"

Sick, I tell you. sick.

66. controlfreak

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 22:12:42
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband actively blocks out everything i tell him about BBs. Last time i was able to get him listen to me was when he realized if he agrees to what i am asking, it will give him piece of mind... We are getting ready to move and there is constant battle at home. I wished i could find a freaking company that would vikane my moving truck so that i don't have to battle everyday to design a way to make sure "if we have them" they won't come with us and it would be acceptable to him. It is like double the stress and work. Brgh...

67. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 22:43:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Reluctant...

You're too late on divorceregistry.com...Someone already grabbed it. when you put in divorceregistry.com it takes you to divorcecandy.com. Then click on divorce registry to see what they're recommending as gifts. Take a look:

http://www.divorcecandy.com/registry/gift-ideas.cfm

PackTite should get them to include that item. It's wonderful wedding gift. Perhaps PT should come in other colors. A nice robbins egg blue? Bubblegumcoraly color? Hey...i just got an idea... i think i'm going to paint my PT. I paint almost anything if it stays still long enough!!

68. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 10 2010 2:11:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle's post rescued from spam. Scroll up!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  69. delorpompom

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 10 2010 4:21:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Speaking of air travel....having bed bugs has seriously impacted my life. I'm too afraid to invite people over to my place and now I'm terrified of travelling. While we're Vikaning my moving truck, we'll need to stay at a hotel and it's making me lose sleep at night because we're going through this 24-30 hour process to kill the bed bugs and then we can just pick them up again at the hotel! (I don't have a packtite and I'm spending the money I would have spent on it for the Vikane treatment, due to funds it's one or the other...I guess I'll just throw our clothes into the dryer for 30 minutes and hope it works...or just throw my moving clothes away before touching the fumigated stuff).

My mom wants to take me to Florida for a Christmas/graduation gift and I'm not really as thrilled as I should be about it because I got the bed bugs from riding on an airplane. This sucks. Will I ever be normal again after this? I'm even paranoid that the Vikane won't work even though I know it will and my PCO told me that no one has reported a recurrence of bed bugs after using it through his company (who does moving trucks often from what I can tell), but I'm still paranoid. When will can I rejoin the un-bed-bugged masses like a normal person with friends and travel plans? I hate these things, they've ruined so many enjoyable experiences for me and no one else understands since they've never had bed bugs!

70. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 10 2010 8:43:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi delorpompom..

Yeah, it's crazy that you're not all excited about a free trip to Fla. And i'm not excited at all about going to abroad for a couple of months next year. My head is all filled up with the logistics of packing, flying, unpacking, protecting, how to get a PackTite over there...will it work with an adaptor for the electric currency difference. Should i take two with me...yadda yadda yadda. I should be looking forward to just having a ball...but i'm wondering what we'll come back to when we return home. Will hungry bbs be waiting on the plane ride home or in our home here? it's just horrible. Of course, husband is blissfully oblivious to all of this....

71. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 10 2010 9:25:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Dammit! I swear that when I googled divorceregistry 3 yrs ago there wasn't one!

Seriously, though, when they come up with the bedbug vaccine, I want my cut of the profits. I mean the whole science part of figuring out how the hell to make it is the easy part, right? I had the idea. Someone please help make me rich, okay?

Parties, vacations...everything seems so dangerous these days. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who invents the house condom can take all the profits; I'm sure it's been talked about for years, so I won't even try to take credit for that one.

72. delorpompom

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 10 2010 11:38:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle,
    I lived abroad for three years and bed bugs weren't even on my radar then and, from what I can tell, it sounds like bed bugs are/were more prevalent in Europe before they exploded in the States over the past couple of years.

You can buy a transformer that will convert American 110 plugs to the European 220. There's also some that you can buy that aren't even boxes, they can go right on the plug (I bought those for our 220 items we bought while over there to switch them from 220 to 110), although we used the transformer boxes. I'd say just go to Europe, have an awesome time and then packtite the heck out of your stuff when you get home. I don't have a packtite, or else I'd feel much better about going to Florida, can you put a suitcase in a dryer or will that ruin the dryer? Probably not worth the risk, right?

73. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 10 2010 12:11:23
    #

Login to Send PM

luggage in the dryer? I don't think so...But luggage in a PackTite? YES!!

74. delorpompom

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 10 2010 13:06:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe I'll ask for a packtite for Christmas. I really liked the wedding gift idea as well.

Honestly I think a packtite would be one of the best investments for home owners, especially considering a packtite costs around 300 dollars and having your home treated for bed bugs is MUCH more expensive than that and it takes multiple visits when 300 dollars could've have prevented it. Plus, the packtite probably gives an extremely priceless gift: peace of mind.

I would have liked to buy a packtite but getting rid of my bed bug problems all in one go is like a dream come true.

75. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 10 2010 13:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

DeedleBeetle - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hi delorpompom..
    Yeah, it's crazy that you're not all excited about a free trip to Fla. And i'm not excited at all about going to abroad for a couple of months next year. My head is all filled up with the logistics of packing, flying, unpacking, protecting, how to get a PackTite over there...will it work with an adaptor for the electric currency difference. Should i take two with me...yadda yadda yadda. I should be looking forward to just having a ball...but i'm wondering what we'll come back to when we return home. Will hungry bbs be waiting on the plane ride home or in our home here? it's just horrible. Of course, husband is blissfully oblivious to all of this....

When I used to travel with my then baby/toddler I had to drag a nebulizer with me everywhere I went. I hate to say it, but even with the adaptors I blew a few of them up. Well, they didn't blow up but were rendered useless.

76. Bite me

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 11 2010 18:15:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I know for a fact that airlines use permethrin on all aircraft. I don't know how often they do it, but it gets done on a regular basis.

And as for bag matching, the idea is that the bag can't be on the plane without the passenger, not necessarily the other way around.

77. 123bugs

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 11 2010 18:28:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugs are teeny tiny terrorists.................

78. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 11 2010 20:49:14
    #

Login to Send PM

hip hip hooraaayyy....Husband's trip is cancelled!! No airplane tomorrow..no hotel...no strange warehouse and restaurants and return airplane trip home...no taxis!!

(i'm so happy)

79. Louise

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 12 2010 11:14:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations, Deedle!!! I'm so relieved for the both of you!

May all of our futures...be travel free...???
    Sad, how bed bugs can totally transform our priorities...from, "See the world! Experience life!" to "Stay at home! See the world on your TV!"

Sigh.

80. delorpompom

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 12 2010 17:09:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Seriously, Louise. I want to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Florida so bad....but not if it means having to deal with bed bugs ever again...THAT'S how much it sucks to live with them. I've been dealing with them for over a year now and I am willing to never get on an airplane or public transportation again if it means keeping my sanity.

81. islandgal

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 12 2010 17:38:55
    #

Login to Send PM

[/quote]Seriously, Louise. I want to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Florida so bad....[quote]

I am also DYING to go to that! But I won't until PackTites are available in Canada and I have one waiting for me at home.

82. losingitquick

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 12 2010 18:03:03
    #

Login to Send PM

ok... so I was a flight attendant for almost 8 years - I won't say which airline - but I will say it is everyone's favorite....

They do not clean the planes between flights... they only vacuum - one crewmember with a shoulder mounted vacuum... as fast as they possibly can to get the plane back out... flight attendants clean out the seat back pockets with rubber gloves and just lift out 'garbage'... they don't vacuum in there... they don't even wipe down the tray tables... Also - I have many friends that work at airlines and flight attendants have been calling out of work to deal with bed bugs... that they either acquired at the layover hotels or on the plane... so YES airplanes have bed bugs... and roaches... anyhow...

They have something to bed bug proof luggage... http://www.bugzip.com/products.html

83. cantstopitching

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 12 2010 18:31:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Those encasements wouldn't work though if bedbugs were transferred on the plane. Guess it's time for hard case luggage!

84. losingitquick

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 12 2010 20:01:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Why not? If you travel with your bags in them?

85. nycyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 22 2010 17:27:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I read a few things recently but don't remember where

Somewhere, someone suggested the wealthy people did this to us because of their penchance for travel...

Elsewhere, I read a survey--oh yeah--something like 'secrets pilots don't want you to know.' The pilots that responded on the topic of fatigue complained of having to stay in low-end motels and bedbugs. CNN?

Oh, and I noticed on some pest control sites they offer "2 oz. spray bottles" of something--"allowable on airplanes."

86. SeaBug

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 22 2010 23:44:41
    #

Login to Send PM

1. Dogs! hire more dogs and fire the middle airline managers to pay for the expense of the dogs.

2. Have airline human resources refer all laid off middle management to bedbug exterminator tech school.

Sorry if dogs are already mentioned in the body of some of the replies on this thread, its too long and good of a thread to go through them all at once.

87. Bite me

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Oct 26 2010 2:05:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Losingitquick is right about the quick cleaning between flights, however each aircraft is sprayed with Pyrethrins during regular maintenance checks. How often this is, I don't know, as it's based on flight hours, not days or weeks. I'm much more worried about hotels as that's where I'm pretty sure I picked them up. I love and hate ziploc bags....

88. delorpompom

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Oct 26 2010 5:37:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Those bugzip bags are nice, but it defeats the purpose of having a rolling suitcase and if you don't check a bag you're still risking contamination because you'll have to remove it from the plastic, most likely, when going through security (you'll at least have to open it to get to your liquids). Not to mention just sitting on an airplane without luggage is a risk for carrying bed bugs wherever you go, just covering luggage in plastic won't help when the bed bugs are in the cabin (which is where my bag was stowed when I picked mine up) Unless they sell a person-sized plastic body suit....those bugzip bags are a waste of money and, personally, wouldn't give me peace of mind. I would much rather have a packtite and change in the garage when I got home from a trip.

89. ba-bites

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 16:28:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely taking some huge ziplocs for my bags on the next flight I take! I had some terrible experiences flying on BA with a bunch of bugs recently:
    I was actually driven to create a small site about it.

90. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 16:43:41
    #

Login to Send PM

ba-bites,

Thanks for sharing your story. It is quite horrible.

91. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 17:11:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear ba-bites,

Suggestion: how about starting your own thread on this, if nobugs concurs. At the beginning you can reference the URL of this thread for readers.

Advantage: let's see how many hits you get if it's your own thread. That way it won't be camouflaged by hits to the larger thread which already has more than 5000 views. Title your thread something like "Scores of bug bites on British Airways". The specificity will work in its favor.

All this is if nobugs approves.

Your mini-website might end up being referred to in places such as the British tabloids, online and otherwise. They can't get enough of stories like this. Especially when big-bucks companies are stomping on their customers. Are you set up to count hits that ba-bites.com receives directly, not through bedbugger.com.

Thing is, can you change the name of your site to .net or .org instead of .com, to make sure everyone understands you're not expecting to profit from this story, you're not going to take advertising or etc..

Minor point: capitalize the "ba" to clarify that you're referring to the airline? So your website would be BA-bites.net or .org.

jrbtnyc

92. crazyobsessed

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 20:03:50
    #

Login to Send PM

ba-bites.... I read your story from beginning to end. Wow. How awful.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,447 posts in 46,579 topics over 142 months by 20,544 of 21,410 members. Latest: itchymama4, PrismArc, unclejohn