Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bed bugs in pillows

(10 posts)
  1. FayeState

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 21:16:32
    #

Login to Send PM

How can you tell if bed bugs are in pillows and what can you do about it - are encasements the only answer or can you heat them in the dryer? How do they get into pillows?
    Thanks.

2. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 21:48:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe that if there's not a hole in the fabric, they would just be on the pillow, not actually inside... but as for heating, I did put my pillows in the dryer. I could fit 2 of them (standard size), and did 45-60m on high heat, then put them in encasements.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  3. FayeState

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 22:02:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. So you put them on high heat in dryer with no problem? So did you see evidence of the bugs on your pillow? I didn't see any holes or evidence on them, so didn't know what to do.

4. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 22:06:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I asked my PCO this question just this past week and his answer was to dry them on high heat for a minimum of 30 minutes. However, just to be safe, I dried them, washed them and then dried them again.

5. FayeState

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 22:11:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. Did you or your pco see any evidence of bed bugs in your pillows?

6. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 22:17:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I actually found a live bug on the pillow the morning he was coming to do our second treatment which is why I was prompted to ask him. He and I looked it over and decided that double bagging it and taking it to the laundromat was the best option. I figured the extra wash and dry wasn't going to hurt anything.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 5:21:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

They are not inside pillows. They are rarely on the outside of pillows and will always leave faecal traces if they have adopted this out of character behaviour.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  8. FayeState

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 6:26:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, then I guess I may not buy pillow encasements. Had read that if people get bites on face or neck then in pillow so I was considering buying pillow encasements.

9. FayeState

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 6:27:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't know how to delete this empty post.

10. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 10:05:36
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 11 hours ago  » 
    Thanks. So you put them on high heat in dryer with no problem? So did you see evidence of the bugs on your pillow? I didn't see any holes or evidence on them, so didn't know what to do.

Never had any in the pillows, but once I had started treating and was sleeping on the ground zero bed, I would wake up and search everything with a flashlight at all hours... once or twice I saw a nymph crawling between the pillow case and pillow- but I do believe it was just an isolated event and it was disturbed by me moving and crawling fast away. Kinda like it got lost? So for a few days I would put the pillows (case and all) in the dryer every morning when I woke up for 45ish mins. There was never any harborages though, just a lone, wandering 1st or 2nd instar.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,819 posts in 43,335 topics over 131 months by 18,996 of 19,572 members. Latest: April13Hincher, Bedbughell99, minicooper78