Bed bugs in my hair?

(5 posts)
  1. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 4 2011 2:01:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, so most of what I've read thus far indicates that bed bugs do not live in hair and will prefer not to bite hairy areas if they can bite somewhere they can manage to feed more easily.

I've also read that in certain cases, where people had extensions, etc. these were the rare exceptions. I also read that some people got bit more on their scalp AFTER cutting there hair. Here is what I am dealing with: Small collections of bumps that hurt, do not come to a head like pimples, and usually come at once in multiples. These mainly along the skin at my hairline behind my ears and neck, within the edge of the hairline.

I get bumps on my forehead too so they may or may not be bites but they do not resemble typical pimples. Here is my question. I have 4' long hair but I wash it every three days or so in scalding hot water and brush it out with Mehi oil. On my scalp I comb in tea tree oil. It gets brushed up into a tight pony and then I wrap it around and around loosely before pinning it up on all sides like a big cinnamon roll.

Would they tend to bite more on hair that is pulled tight or fluffy? Which would be easier for them or more hospitable to them? I do not think it is lice although it is not entirely ruled out. I have seborrhea which is a form of eczema on the scalp. From the frequent washing it could be my scalp is real dry but I get the crawling feeling and itchies happening and I know lice creates an unbearable itchiness. Have never had it (thank God) but have heard. It isn't impossible though I guess.

It is the bumps that appear along the hairline that make me think I am getting bit in the hair region and worry they are hiding in my cinnamon roll. Have even considered cutting my hair so that it is easier to keep clean but feared it would become more bite-friendly. Don't know.

2. toledo

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 4 2011 16:19:41
    #

Login to Send PM

One exterminator mentioned finding bed bugs in someone's dread locks, so I guess it's possible. I've had the pleasure of dealing with lice and bed bugs, though not at the same time. With lice, you can usually see them on your hair, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from your scalp. The nits (eggs) look like light gray bumps attached to the hair strand. Most hair dressers know what to look for, so you may want to consult one, just to be sure. I always told myself that if our family ever gets lice again, we're all shaving our heads. Picking out all those nits took forever.

3. so unsettling

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 4 2011 17:13:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if there are any particular hair arrangements they prefer, but I do recall having hair and scalp issues when this first began for me. My scalp is dry from years of dyeing and too much blow drying, so I just bought some specialty shampoos and used oils similar to those you describe. I also thought I was being bitten there, above the nape of my neck. But this all soon faded away. I don't believe that bugs were ever in my hair, and concluded that all the sensations and appearances in my hairline and scalp areas were just another early manifestion of the havoc that these bites seem to spread GENERALLY around the body, rather than just in the area of the bites themselves. I also think that these bites aggravate anything else that is already wrong with us, such as a dry scalp.

I really don't think the bugs are in your hair. Hope this subsides for you, as it did for me. I really don't worry about my hair anymore, although I did at first.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 5 2011 8:18:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have only ever seen bedbugs on people, hair or otherwise in situations where you don't need to look hard to find bedbugs. Basically the population is so vast that there is competition for food and some of the bedbugs decide to stay with the host.

Part of the reason for this is that bedbugs are mototaxic, this means that given the choice they want to remain on solid surfaces which do not move. Therefore hair is less appealing to them.

I would suggest that you consult a medical professional about the bumps/pimples as I think you will find a medical answer rather than a pest control one.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Open minds find faster solutions"

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  5. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 5 2011 17:12:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks all for your responses. I don't think I am as worried now about bugs being in or staying in my hair but worried about accidental hitchhiking like if they are on my hair amidst their travels as I am getting a lot of bites in the face and neck region.

Every day I inspect the popular regions for new marks: bridge of nose, neck, behind ears, etc. Bumps have been popping up all week behind my ears and some new marks appeared along my neck this morning. Also what appeared today that I've been expecting for a few weeks, new bits on my ear lobe. There is a row of four tiny marks and above those a single pair. Just on the very inside edge of my other ear is a red mark.

Last night before my shower I discovered a new red mark that might become a welt beside my bellybutton. Have several new pimples and welts all over my legs, especially on the back side and back of my thighs. Obviously since our last treatment on Dec 7th some stragglers have matured and started making their own babies and/or eggs have hatched cause we are both getting bit up more and more.

The big T was supposed to come out today between 2-4pm, it's 5:11.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,631 posts in 31,239 topics over 95 months by 13,514 of 17,224 members. Latest: acaris, Closesuise, xMakiMakix