Bed bugs in kitchen?

(6 posts)
  1. brooklyner

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 5 2009 23:02:41
    #

Login to Send PM

This is something I haven't seen much info about in my searches over the web. Over the past month on 3 separate occasions, I found small, brown, very round and flat bugs on my kitchen counter. They were sluggish and pretty much dead. A few days ago I decided to google "flat brown bug" and was presented with photos of bed bugs which look EXACTLY like the bugs I've seen on my counter. I don't think anything else looks like that, they are quite distinctive looking. I have not (yet) gotten bitten, nor do I think I have any in my bedroom or living room, just these few dead ones in the kitchen the past few weeks leading me to think maybe a neighbor sprayed and some dying ones are crawling through a crack in the kitchen or something. I live in Brooklyn, NY in a row house - all houses are smooshed together with no space in between so this is completely feasible. I also had downstairs neighbors move out right around the time this started.

I immediately told my landlord who lives in the building. She told me the next door neighbor had some in the past year but they are on the 1st floor and I'm on the 3rd. They are going to have someone come in and spray and in the meantime I took preventative measures such as bagging up some clothing and linens and ordering mattress & box spring encasements which should arrive this week. Clearly I'm freaked out by this but I'm glad I was curious enough to see what the weird bugs I found were before this turned into a situation.

Has anyone had an experience like this, where they found the bugs in a kitchen or bathroom without ever having been bitten? It seems like most people have the opposite experience - they suspect bedbugs due to bites without seeing the actual bugs. Clearly I'm concerned that they could be elsewhere in the house as well but from most of the experiences I've read about, I haven't had anything similar happen, just finding some dead/dying ones in the daytime.

Thanks!

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 6 2009 0:07:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't want to scare you but it has been said that 60% of people don't show any kind of reaction to bites. That being said you may not even know you are being bitten. Make sure they inspect all areas of your place. I'm guessing the people who moved out sprayed the crap out of everything in hopes of clearing the place for the new people to move in.
    I would think they didn't get everything or all of them ... and now you are dealing with migration. Just make sure whoever comes, they are through in their inspection, 70% of techs miss low level infestations. Make sure they check everywhere.

3. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 6 2009 21:32:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Could you take a photo of a dea (not squished) bug and post it on the forum here? That would help the experts here possibly identify it if you are not sure, but it sounds like it might be bedbugs. I've noticed that when someone moves out of a building, the bedbugs seem to move to a different for their "meal" so you were sharp to observe that your downstairs neighbor moved out around the time this all started. That could be a good clue.

I have bedbugs, and yes, have found them in my bathroom (which shares a wall with another apartment's bedroom, by the way) but once I saw some bugs in my kitchen that upon closer inspection turned out to be carpet beetles. Something that can help you determine if it is a bedbug or not is to buy a 10X mangnifying glass--a jeweler's loupe is great for this purpose.

4. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 7 2009 1:13:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Parakeets - I am just curious - your membership says that you joined Mar 2007 - do you still have bedbugs now? Have you had them the entire time?

If so - I am just wondering why you would have them for so long - in the same apartment?

Why not move? or heat treat or vikane (I am not a fan of vikane but some people have had success with it)

5. surrounded

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 7 2009 1:29:49
    #

Login to Send PM

i also live in a "row" house in Brooklyn (actually a tenement, row houses were built as single family dwellings). Probably your whole building has them. I am sorry to say that but it may be true. Make sure that your landlord treats ALL apartments at once. He will not want to, but remind him that it will be much more expensive when he has to hire a PCO two or three more times, and then has to resort to treating all apartments in the end anyway.
    Good luck, and hopefully those dead ones are the only ones you will see.

6. brooklyner

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2009 14:53:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the responses. I did inspect my mattress and box spring for any evidence, compared them to photos on the web of evidence that people have posted, and they were pristine. I put them into encasements this week after I inspected them. I also use an egg crate foam mattress pad and you can hold it up to the light and look right through it - nothing in it, completely clear. So at this point I'm thinking I may have caught the beginning of a migration - I should add that there are open holes in the kitchen wall near the ceiling where a doorbell used to be and it just occurred to me this week that it could be an entry point. I am hazarding a guess that they could have come through there - I was leaving an mp3 player in a soft plastic arm case & band that I only use at the gym right on the kitchen counter and they may have sensed/smelled the sweat/human smell from it and came in during the night. Maybe?? Who knows, just trying to figure this out. But they seem to be weak and dying in the attempts to get in. Bug guy is coming to spray this afternoon and landlords are sealing up the wall holes today. I have not seen one in a week and a half, so I'm hoping this does the trick to prevent a full blown migration. They are going to spray the whole apartment for good measure. I'll leave the mp3 player case out for 2-4 weeks in the same spot to see if that draws them out, then I'll know I may need to take more drastic measures with treatments. If I do see another one I'll catch it and post a photo. I read you can kill them with a steam iron to prevent smooshing so that's what I'll do. But I'm really hoping I do NOT see another one after all this. And for good measure, I read that Avon's Skin So Soft is a bug repellent so I slather that all over myself lately! Can't hurt, anyway.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.