Bed Bugs in KillerQueens Hotel Room!!! Booyeah

(67 posts)
  1. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 18:03:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Short and sweet, on vacation at the mouses house down south and I have two attached rooms.

Bed bugs found in both!! I'm trying to get away from them for a week, good God!
    A lot more to the story including video and pictures once I clear my head and my new bed.

2. bedbuganxiety

Account Closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 18:17:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Holy Crap, KillerQueen!!!! We are heading to WDW in 1 WEEK....uuggghhhh. What resort are you staying at?

3. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 18:29:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I love this on one hand for the irony, but I'm sorry about your vacation!

4. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 18:29:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I love this on one hand for the irony, but I'm sorry about your vacation!

5. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 18:37:50
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ, I've noticed a lot of really smug people on the Bed Bug Registry posting about their perfect WDW hotel rooms and how people who post that they have found bugs there are either mistaken or lying. Would you consider posting there? I hope Disney handled it well.

6. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 18:38:20
    #

Login to Send PM

And I do hope you enjoy your vacation.

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 18:58:34
    #

Login to Send PM

BTW, an older neighbor told me this story about a Rochester MN hotel. She checked in (two rooms) and found A LOT of bedbugs around and near the bed. She then ran to the adjoining door and pulled it open to get her family and she swears there were quite a few in the door jam that fell when she opened it and black "specs" all around the door. She said it was one of the chains, and it was a shock. I had meant to ask, why in the world would they be in the door jam which is 6-8 feet or more from the foot of the bed? Does that ever happen?

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  8. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 19:05:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, sorry to hear about this happening on your vacation. There's some old saying...about going on vacation and work coming with you.

I wonder if the mouse house would be like the other companies that are suing people for posting?

Also, just curious, are there any signs of caulking, passives, etc...ie signs the room has been treated before?

9. blargg

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 20:42:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Geez, think of all the families that go to Disney World, and end up staying there.... sad to hear this.

Edit:

Hey, if you can get this publicized and on the news, maybe you'll draw some much needed public attention to this bedbug epidemic.

10. bedbuganxiety

Account Closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 21:04:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree @ blargg!! Why isn't this epidemic getting more notice in the news?? You see a news commentary about it every now and then, but that's it. People are being tormented by these bugs, both physically and mentally. I can't believe people are still out there oblivious to this problem. How much worse does it have to get? Sorry, just venting!!

11. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 3 2011 7:40:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I will provide a full story and update everyone once my vacation is over.

The unfortunate truth is, this is a part of everyday travel.

In short, they handled it very well and did the right thing for us.

12. soretit

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 3 2011 8:00:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I blame Goofy.
    He's an Al Quaida operative.
    Head of Intelligence.

13. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 3 2011 13:12:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey sortit-- where'd u hear that?
    From Heckle and Jeckle?
    Don't listen to those two old crows--they talk Jive, you dig.

Sorry but I'm short on patience with conspiracy theories.

14. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 3 2011 13:20:43
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen I am sorry that this happened to you and yours while on vacation.
    Brave new world? published in the early 1930's I believe.
    More like a BUggY nEW WOrlD to me.

15. BugsInTO

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 3 2011 15:53:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I, too, hope KillerQueen gets to have a good vacation.

I have been reading the hotel postings on the Registry in a kind of random sampling for the last couple of months. Different hotels react differently and there doesn't seem to be any consistency by chain, size or location - everything from accusing the hotel guests of bringing the bedbugs with them to 100% refunds with paid drycleaning.

I will be watching for KillerQueen's account.

16. EndOfMyRope

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 3 2011 17:50:19
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen

Holy moley! (cus I wont type what Im thinkin lol) thats awful! I sure hope you get past this and can go on to enjoy a great (and much deserved!!) vaca..will definitely be watching for updates

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 3 2011 18:31:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to say, it would make a good news story.

I am glad the hotel handled it well, and it can happen everywhere. That said, two infested rooms?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  18. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 3 2011 23:45:29
    #

Login to Send PM

NoBugs, wouldn't it be plausible for two adjoining rooms to be infested, especially since the door opens between them and, if requested together, family members might be going back and forth between the rooms?

19. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 3 2011 23:51:46
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 16 hours ago  » 
    I will provide a full story and update everyone once my vacation is over.
    The unfortunate truth is, this is a part of everyday travel.
    In short, they handled it very well and did the right thing for us.

It's been said repeatedly that BB can strike the best hotels and the worst. The difference between the two is how the hotels' staff respond to the BB.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Dec 4 2011 0:31:08
    #

Login to Send PM

rAVENSFAN99 - 42 minutes ago  » 
    NoBugs, wouldn't it be plausible for two adjoining rooms to be infested, especially since the door opens between them and, if requested together, family members might be going back and forth between the rooms?

Yes, of course two rooms can easily become infested. Bed bugs can get into any hotel room. Granted.

If the hotel is proactively searching for them on a regular basis, they have some chance of nipping a problem in the bud early. Another chance of this is if anyone notices the problem and alerts management to it.

It will be interesting to see what KQ can tell us in terms of how long he thinks the rooms have had bed bugs.

I don't blame a hotel for having bed bugs but the longer they are in a room, the more likely they are to spread to an adjoining room. And I'd like to see hotels taking steps to catch problems early.

21. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Dec 4 2011 7:20:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyhow, don't fret about KQ's vacation. What, are we going to worry KQ doesn't know how to deal with a bed bug problem...?!!!!!

Plus, once Disney finds out who KQ is, they're going to pay *him* to stay in their hotel in the presidential suite in fact, and they'll provide all expenses and free passes to theme parks and restaurants, free rent-a-car and so on, to stick around as long as he wants and tell them how to fix their entire bb problem which, quietly behind the scenes you can be sure, has been costing them...millions.

22. MyWorstFear

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Dec 4 2011 17:08:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not surprised about Orlando since I've read about incidents in nearly every major hotel in that area.
    When you think about it, it's amazing ALL the rooms don't become infested quickly, especially the way
    the housekeeping staff goes about their business. For example, lets say there are live bed bugs still in the sheets that the maid takes off the bed and throws in the "dirty" bin on the housekeeping cart. Right on the same cart are the fresh "clean" sheets which then go back on that bed. The cart remains in the hall for hours while the maid goes into other rooms to get dirty sheets to put in the bin while getting fresh "clean" sheets from the same cart. The bed bugs could crawl into anything else on the cart: sheets, towels, etc. that then go into other rooms.
    Many hotels these days claim they are trying to do something for the environment, and won't even change the sheets daily unless you put a card on the bed requesting that they be changed. With what
    some hotels charge these days, they damn well better change my sheets daily, card or no card!!!

23. bedbuganxiety

Account Closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Dec 4 2011 17:28:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, so now I'm just freaking out!!! We leave for Disney World, staying on property--Port Orleans French Quarter, early Saturday morning and I'm doing everything I can think of to prevent us from bringing them home, but my mind is still racing We are taking this trip to get away from "real life" (my mom passed away in August, sister OD'd after mom passed and my husband was diagnosed with diabetes in September. Add to that, our son with Autism is having a very rough school year). We just need to be able to relax and enjoy, but now I'm so wound up about the possiblity of bed bugs in our hotel room, that I don't know how I'll be able to enjoy. Sorry for hijacking the post....just so worried....

24. MyWorstFear

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Dec 4 2011 17:49:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbuganxiety, I didn't mean to freak you out and apologize if I did. FWIW, the hotel you are staying in has no reports on the bed bug registry so that might make you feel better. Just follow the precautions on the FAQ's for checking out a hotel room and take the precautions for when you return home.
    I envy MRS KillerQueen, since she doesn't have to do anything, when she goes on vacation or returns home. MR KillerQueen sees to everything!

25. bedbuganxiety

Account Closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Dec 4 2011 18:47:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh...MyWorstFear...please, no apologies You were very right with what you said above. Unfortunately, this is the time we live in now. Hotels should maybe evaluate how they clean and inspect rooms to provide safer service. I've thought about the fact that they go from room to room vacumming and wondered how often those bags get changed....hmmmm.... Sometimes I wish I could go back 10 years to when we all just traveled without a care, but then remember we would get to this point again anyway. So, now I just hope that 10 years from now, we'll be way beyond all this and sit around saying "Remember when bed bugs were an issue". Again....no worries....it's just a matter of fact...for now anyway.

26. djames1921

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Dec 4 2011 19:17:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Did the bed bugs have little mouse ears? Just waiting for someone to rewrite the words to its a small world afterall, inserting bed bugs in a clever fashion.

Sorry you have to work on your vacation kq.

27. EndOfMyRope

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 5 2011 7:52:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbuganxiety,

I wanted to pm you, but theres no link with your screen name to do so.. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for all youve just been through, and offer the support of another Spectrum Mom. I have a 21 yr old son with Autism, and can sure relate to a bad school year! Please, dont hesitate to pm me if you ever wanna chat, vent, compare notes, what have you.. Anytime, ok

(Forgive me for hijacking the post)

28. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 5 2011 8:13:48
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a buggy world it's a world of fear
    When a K9 alerts its a world of tears
    As our world gets much smaller, and bedbugs climb taller
    It's a small infested world.

It's a bedbugs world today
    We learn this as we spray and pray
    Cimex lectularius is here to stay
    It's a small world after all.

You may rent a room in a fine hotel,
    If the suckers climb in your bags, oh hell.
    You'll become the host-with a bit of luck,
    You will find nobugs and the bit and sucked.

It's a bedbugs world today
    We learn this as we spray and pray
    cimex lectularius is here to stay
    It's a small world after all.

So your life has changed your no longer free
    In your brand new world your now OCD.
    Now your challenged to find just the right PCO
    That will treat your home and take all your doe.

(Chorus)

SORRY--the best I could come up with on short notice djames.

29. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2011 17:10:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Checked into the next resort spot on my trip without issue.

Now staying in Reunion Wyndham Grand Resort in Orlando. 2 - 3 bedroom codo's all clear and bed bug free. Maybe now I can get the rest I was looking for. Checking 8 beds with sofa's, not fun!

Lego land tomorrow, sea world Friday ....

30. djames1921

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2011 23:05:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Legoland is awesome, love the sea monster coming out of the Lake.

31. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 8 2011 6:58:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi KQ,

You missed the obvious solution.

Unpack the clown from the luggage and secure him to the bed. Its the modern day version of the 1800's phrase a gentleman always travels with a pig. While having dinner at the coaching station they used to secure a pug to the bed so that the bedbugs were fed before they retired for the night.

I expect to find them in about 1 in 20 hotel rooms when I travel although I am yet to find a hotel who do not give me the party line "how do you know there are bedbugs you have not slept a night yet".

Glad to hear you are getting time out, I am planning Egypt in Jan as I have not had a vacation in about 5 years.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  32. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 8 2011 9:32:11
    #

Login to Send PM

So how do you respond to the "party line" David? Do you have to explain much before they quit the "party line"?

Jim

33. Rosae

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 8 2011 10:57:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Why isn't this epidemic getting more notice in the news?? You see a news commentary about it every now and then, but that's it.

Because the hotel owners are the relations of the news companies?

34. lsdrg706

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 8 2011 11:53:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Rosae - 54 minutes ago  » 

Why isn't this epidemic getting more notice in the news?? You see a news commentary about it every now and then, but that's it.

Because the hotel owners are the relations of the news companies?

My honest and pessimistic opinion? Local media will print whatever will give them the most attention. Alot of the time there is something in their eyes that is much more exciting. Case in point; everything in my local newspaper right now is going to be drowned out by the Penn State scandal. It is the biggest thing going on right now in my state and it is what they will focus on until something bigger comes along.

Don't mean to pee in anyone's cheerios but that is how I feel about the media in general.

35. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Dec 18 2011 20:39:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, the long awaited update:

So the trip had been planned for nearly a year. Disney World, Sea World, and Lego Land all located in Florida. My sister was joining us at Disney but she was staying at a time-share off Disney’s property. My mother was staying in the adjoining room at the Beach Club at Disney with me.

For the last 10 years or so I have always checked my hotel rooms for evidence of bed bugs and to be honest I only found them one time in California about 6 years ago. As David mentioned above, the odds are estimated at about 1 in 20/25 rooms so that's what most people should expect to see.

We arrived before check in and my mother and wife keep asking me, are you going to inspect both rooms? I keep joking with them saying common what are the odds? I'm on vacation, I want to get away from the bug not look for them in every crack and crevice. To be honest I had about 1 1/2 hours of sleep and I was completely shot. I desperately needed to get some rest. They allowed us to check in early so we went up our rooms to settle in. They family asked me again, are you going to inspect the rooms? I laughed at them and said common look at the place its perfect there’s no bugs here. I tell my wife I'm going to unpack all my things like I live here. If I'm staying here for 5 days I want to be comfortable. (Whenever I travel I have trash bags with me and my suitcase and dirty cloths never leave a sealed environment outside the bathtub in the bathroom).

The plan was to first grab some lunch in France at Epcot, just a short walk from my hotel room. Then come back to the room for some sleep before heading out for dinner and some good old fun in Disney world. So we unpack everything like we live there and hit the pavement for some grub. We spend about 3 or 4 hours eating and walking around and by this time I'm truly dead on my feet so we head back to our rooms.

I change into sweatpants and a tee shirt while my wife heads down to the lobby for some unexpected items. I'm looking to get about 4 hours of rest before taking on the night. I see this bed as my new best friend right now. My mom is in the next room (unpacked just like me) and also looking for about 4 hours of rest. I hit the bed, I don't even pull the sheets back, I just lay flat out. The second my head hits the pillow my eyes are fixed on the wooden headboard. I notice some very small white dried deposits of what looks like chemical to me in the lower left corner of the headboard. I jump up and freak out! I’m like no F-in way! I lift up the bed skirt and sure enough I see a box spring encasement on the box spring. I can’t even explain the thoughts that ran through my head.

I toss the pillows aside, dig straight for the box spring and find fecal traces on the outside of the encasement within seconds. I notice bugs crawling around inside the encasement and I rip it off to expose them (encasement already ripped because nobody knows how to prep a box spring before encasing). I pound on my mother’s door and tell her to come into my room. She’s half asleep but she walks in and her face turns ghost white. I said the room has bed bugs, we have bed bugs! She immediately starts freaking out but at this point I’m laughing because I’m like this could only happen to me. What an ass for not checking the place out huh?

So I tell mom to hang tight so I can check her room for more bloodsucking beasts. Well, after about 30 seconds I see a single fecal trace staring me straight in the face on the blanket. I go to the bathroom and grab the glass normally used to rinse your mouth out after brushing your teeth. Why? Well, because John didn’t bring his inspection tools this time. Not even a flashlight because I already told myself before I left, what are the chances? So this time I go right to the bed skirt at the head of the bed and BAM!!! adult male bed bug for the taking. I put the bastard in the glass and put a book over the top of it. I tell my mom the bugs are in her room as well so I’m going down to talk with management. I hit the mile long trek to the front desk and as I turn a corner down the hall I find wife and child on the return. I look at her and say you’re not going to believe this, blank face, no expression, I say we have bed bugs in our room. lol I still laugh even while typing this. I tell her I’m on my way to management and I’ll see you in 5. She was not happy to say the least.

I get to the front desk and ask to see the manager. For the love of God why is that so confusing for so many people? I want the manager, not you. No you can’t help me, stop asking me why I need the manager, and just get me someone in charge. If I thought I wanted to talk to you I would have done that! Just get me the Manager please! Oh the manager is not available, how can you help me? OK, I just discovered bed bugs in my rooms, you want to have this conversation right now at the front desk at the middle of check in time with all these guest around, NO PROBLEM!

More to come in a few hours, I hate typing. The best it yet to come!

36. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 0:51:08
    #

Login to Send PM

You will never, ever, ever live this down. You will be checking every room your family sleeps in, forever!

Or no more Milanos for you!

37. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 1:34:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 42 minutes ago  » 
    You will never, ever, ever live this down. You will be checking every room your family sleeps in, forever!

I know, I know. I'm still laughing where most people would be sick. Here is a video I took with my phone but I have better video and pictures I haven't hosted yet.

Video here

38. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 7:21:10
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 1 week ago  » 
    So how do you respond to the "party line" David? Do you have to explain much before they quit the "party line"?
    Jim

I usually stand there for a few minutes explaining why sensible people check before they get bitten.

The record is held by a receptionist who dug her heels in an declared there is no way you could know if there are bedbugs because you have not slept in there yet. It took her manager to explain that I was in fact the David Cain featured int he staff training videos and that if I was good enough to sit on the BBC Breakfast couch and talk about bedbugs or to be the expert witness in the consumers affairs program Watchdog I was most likley able to detect them.

I picked her to come up to the room and confirm what I had found, shame of it was that it was only a single bedbug present for 3 - 4 weeks so most would have missed it. However I could never live down the shame of being caught out on a business trip, let alone a family vacation (LOL).

David

39. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 7:39:55
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ,

Sorry you had that problem in Orlando !

I just checked out the video you posted, thanks for that too.

Can you tell us how WDW responded to your BB situation?

"The mgr is not available, how can I help you?" (nice, good thing it wasn't Mary Ann cause every tourist in the building would know what the problem was in about ten seconds)

Please advise, thx ! paul b.

40. ohnotooks

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 7:43:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I also cannot wait to hear the rest of the story!

41. blargg

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 7:55:14
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 6 hours ago  » 

I know, I know. I'm still laughing where most people would be sick. Here is a video I took with my phone but I have better video and pictures I haven't hosted yet.
    Video here

Wow, that's pretty creepy. I hope the motel closed the rooms and treated them correctly.

Hey, sweet accent by the way.

42. bedbuganxiety

Account Closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 20 2011 12:49:02
    #

Login to Send PM

UGGHHHH.....Just looked at your video on FB and read your comments there. We just got back from Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter and the day before we arrived I called and spoke with a "manager" who assured me that the would have their "on site pest management" check our room before arrival to ease my mind. Now I see that when they sent someone to your room, they sent someone from horticulture?! Oh, geezzzzz......do they not have pest management on site like they told me? Yes, you are correct.....they need a bigger boat!! That's it....no more traveling for me for a while...

43. VictoryIsMine

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 20 2011 14:12:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I like the video, dislike the fact that they were there. Love the story! (Sorry it happened, though.) Can't wait to hear more. Hey, you were voted best in NY? Woo-hoo, congrats! No small feat.

44. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 20 2011 15:46:40
    #

Login to Send PM

blargg - 1 day ago  » 

KillerQueen - 6 hours ago  » 

Video here

Wow, that's pretty creepy. I hope the motel closed the rooms and treated them correctly.
    Hey, sweet accent by the way.

Motel? Beach Club is one of Disney's "DELUXE" resorts--it's more than $300 a night without a discount, if memory serves. Proof that it can happen anywhere!

KQ, if you put this on YouTube, it'd go viral, but you probably know that.

45. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 20 2011 15:46:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Edit for double-post. Sorry.

46. VictoryIsMine

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 21 2011 23:43:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I vote for posting it on YouTube. I should help folks who don't want to hear it to realize they really can be anywhere.

47. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 22 2011 1:40:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Guys I'll answer all the questions posted once I complete the story.

Picking up from where I left off.

Please understand I was not angry at the Hotel and I don’t really fault them for the problem. Being in the business I know this can happen anywhere and at any time. I’m sure they deal with this a lot given the high turn over rate. I was just going through shock I guess because I went on vacation to forget about bed bugs for a while.

Once the front desk hears what I want to discuss with management in private she reaches for the phone and tells me management will be in my room ASAP. I head to my room where my wife is already on the phone because for her it’s just not fast enough.

I grab my phone and start making the video you see linked above. I also take a bunch of pictures. I also reached for my camera to get better shots. I didn’t want to roll tape while management was there because I figured they would wonder about my motives. I had no ill intensions, I just wanted to capture it for friends and you folks here.

So management walks in and I point to the evidence I found. I think the girl handled it well but was a bit freaked out herself. She tells me they take these issues very serious and will make everything right for us, not to worry. She tells me that pest control is on the way and they will be here to confirm the problem. I start laughing as she looks at me and I’m like, you don’t even want to know what I do for a living. I tell her and the laughs just start rolling from there.

Management then tells me … wait for it …. wait for it ….. pest control has two special dogs they use to confirm bed bug cases. My wife looks at me and finally she starts laughing and I’m like OH NO! don’t go there. I type my company and name into Google and show her on my phone and it all comes clear to her that I’m not the typical base board jockey.

So in walks two bright orange work vest’s (something you see on road workers. Male and female) and I’m drawn to the words horticulture on the pocket vest. I’m like horticulture, are you kidding me? I have bed bugs, not a weed problem! You’re gunna need a bigger boat guys! They laugh and tell me no, no, we do it all. I was like ok whatever. I don’t see a dog so I’m happy about that because if the dog didn’t alert to something in my room, I may have jumped out the window.

My wife shows the guy the bug I put into the glass and I’m standing there watching the lady scan the box spring with a flashlight. Its getting painful for me to just stand back and watch because I thinks she’s running right past the evidence I already noted in my head. So I jump in and say guys, I’m in the business, and I’m a bed bug specialist. This is all I do every day of my life BED BUGS! Really she replies and the manager says he’s like NY’s top bed bug guy, imagine the irony? We have NY’s top guy in our hotel with bed bugs in his room. So I point out the signs and take them into my mom’s room.

As I walk into my mom’s room I show them the evidence on the blanket. I then go to the bed skirt and lift it up to show where I pulled the bug off. Hello, another bug in the same location that wasn’t there 10 minutes ago. And this was not a “ harborage” area, it was dead center on the side of the box spring. So pest control confirms both rooms have a bed bug problem and leave. We work out the details with management and they are taking all of our things to a “heat chamber” to kill any possible bugs that may be on our cloths. HMMM … no cloths while I’m on vacation … OMG I just want to sleep!

Management upgrades my room to a two-bedroom suite and she takes us to the next floor. I walk in and the first thing I see is a lot of work! One king bed, two queen beds, two futon type couches, sofa and chairs in the living room AHHHHH!

More to come tomorrow ~

48. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 22 2011 1:47:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hilarious! Keep it coming, KQ!

49. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 22 2011 12:47:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh wait until you hear about cloths shopping and how I looked like vanilla ice wearing oversized goofy sweat pants in the yacht club for dinner.

Yeah, I got bed bugs! Who wants some?

50. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 22 2011 13:25:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Can't wait to hear "the rest of the story".

thx, pb

51. bedbuganxiety

Account Closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 22 2011 14:47:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Haha...too funny!! Not the BB part, but looking like Vanilla Ice at the Yacht Club! Even funnier if you end up on the "People of Disney" website dressed up in your fine new clothes.. Can't wait to here the rest of your story!

52. lurker

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 22 2011 20:39:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I do fault Disney for KillerQueen's bed bug experience. I am a frequent traveler who would now avoid staying at any Disney property.

How many other guests were food for the bed bugs in these two rooms before KillerQueen complained? How many took them home and now have an infestation? Will Disney contact these prior guests to warn them and offer to pay for treatment? Not likely. What about adjacent rooms? This hotel through its own negligence exposed guests to a terrible contagious pest. They can destroy their brand with this disregard for guest comfort and safety.

We can assume this room had been treated for bed bugs previously. The hotel knew they had bed bugs in these two rooms. Yet bed bug feces were easily visible in multiple places on the BED and even curtains. The bed bugs themselves were easy to find. The encasement was improperly installed and torn. The "inspectors" were not well trained. The front desk was not well trained yet the hotel knows it has a bed bug problem. The net result is that it is "buyer beware". It is up to guests to find the infestation because the hotel has chosen to not do anything but deal with it when a bed bug specialist guest complains.

53. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 22 2011 22:02:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree to a certain extent with lurker. I would think there would be experts regularly checking passives, etc. in their rooms for evidence that there were problems. Even with encasements, the bugs may move to the nightstand etc. if the bed is not an option.

That said, it's probably tough to catch the first bug that enters the room and from there...the issue grows quickly.

54. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 23 2011 7:32:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sadly I have to step in and say the only thing the hotel is at fault for is not using the best available solution to managing bedbugs.

We cant blame them for the bedbugs being there in the first place, the only way for them to avoid getting bedbugs is to close the doors which does not do any good for their business. The person who brought them there may have not been a bite responder and neither may have been the ones who stayed there following the infestation event.

Yes there are failures in what they have put in place and don't think I am defending what they have done but the reality is that they appear to be better prepared than most.

Yes its a shame that they did not take the ultimate step of paying less than 5 cent per bed per night for good detection to help avoid these issues but I have to honest and say less than 0.001% of hotel beds in London are covered at present.

The better course of action for consumers would be to start asking what steps hotels are taking and booking in accordance with that information, then you get them to change to consumers requirements which is faster than the legislation which will most likley be needed to get change.

Would it stop me traveling to Disney (no only good because good taste has already done that) but it does emphasis the need to ALWAYS CHECK YOUR HOTEL ROOM BEFORE YOU UNPACK.

We professionals must set the standards for face the shame of the rest of the story, parachute pants and all.

Sorry it happened to you and your family big man had I not taught you the golden rule well enough?

David

55. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 23 2011 8:43:07
    #

Login to Send PM

The inherent comments & question(s) that come to mind include, but are not limited to:

> What responsibilities does the innkeeper have to the incoming guest, current guest(s) and former guest(s)?

> Where does "buyer beware" kick in and what effect does this take as a factor?

> To what degree was the non-discovery of this situation the result of the innkeeper's actions/inactions?

>What would be reasonable and what would be the result of applying a reasonable standard opposite various factors in this situation? (i.e. Is it reasonable to expect that the innkeeper should have a viable inspection/early detection program in place? etc.)

> What of the guest? In this situation we have a unique situation wherein the guest is a professional well versed in this subject matter. As such, what effect would this have on the situation?

There are many questions and considerations that must be, and usually are, properly explored when such matters become contentious between the affected parties. And, making certain assumptions without knowing all the pertinent facts generally leads us down a path froth with errors & pitfalls.

In any case, I'm sure we all await with great interest the "rest of the story".

have a nice day, paul b.

56. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 23 2011 9:07:59
    #

Login to Send PM

In response to theyareoutthere and lurker,

I don't fault the hotel for this for the reasons that David already outlined above.

Imagine the following scenario:

You're a hotel. You have passive monitors installed in every room. You have in place a contract with a good pest control firm for regular inspections to manage any bed bug problems that arise.

You have hundreds if not thousands of rooms. Some of those rooms turn over from one client to the next after a stay of only one night.

No matter what you do, you will end up with bed bugs in a room at some point that another client will find before your best measures catch those bugs. This is inevitable since some people will carry bed bugs with them and not realize it because they aren't educated about bed bugs and/or because they don't react to bites.

Given the realities that hotel housekeeping staff already work under, you cannot expect housekeeping staff to inspect every hotel room to the level a room would need to be inspected to catch every single infestation. (If you don't have an idea from personal experience of what kind of work schedules the housekeeping staff in hotels are held to, I strongly suggest reading Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed to get a sense of why it's unrealistic to expect housekeeping staff to inspect a hotel room the way that we do in addition to their existing duties. And that's assuming that hotels even could train that many workers to be that effective in inspection, which I doubt. )

So John Smith checks in. Smith doesn't know he has bed bugs. He's actually only got a few hitch hikers.

Those hitch hikers set up shop, initially, in the drawer in the dresser in the room. Eventually, they will likely make their way to the passive monitor, but Smith is only at the hotel for one night. When he checks out the next day, housekeeping comes by early in the morning. The bugs are still snuggled down in a screwhole on the underside of the dresser drawer. Housekeeping never sees them.

Michael Jones checks in around 5 pm later that day. He goes to bed. When the bed bugs in the dresser sense the CO2 and the heat of Jones exhaling in the bed, out they come for a meal.

Now, long term, passive monitors and a good pest control policy mean that those bugs will get detected. But it's simply impossible to hold hotels to a standard of finding all the bugs immediately upon arrival. It's just unrealistic given the nature of bed bugs and the nature of the hotel business.

Also remember that Florida is, frankly, a state replete with bugs. I lived in the south for well over ten years. If I saw a bug scurrying around in a hotel room, I didn't immediately assume it was a "dirty" or poorly maintained hotel. In the Deep South, even with very good pest control, most large buildings will have some roaches, and it's important to remember how very often people on these boards mistake roach nymphs for bed bugs. (Every single day I got to high school, there was at least one dead roach on the floor of one of the buildings somewhere. Every. Single. Day.) Given where Disney World is located, no matter how good Disney is at decreasing the numbers of pests you see in their parks and properties, people who know this about the south--esp. in cities where bed bugs have not reached critical mass in terms of public awareness, you've got a population who is less likely to freak out if they see what can easily be mistaken for a roach nymph in a hotel room in Orlando, Florida.

Hotels have to rely, in part, on their guests to report bugs in rooms, and if the hotel doesn't get a report, it's going to take longer to find an infestation, and the longer it takes to find the infestation, the more possible it is for a scenario like the one KQ discovered.

(BTW, KQ, I'm really enjoying the story. I'm still sorry that work followed you on vacation, but I do appreciate the time you're taking to type this all up.)

I put much more stock in how a hotel handles a report than in whether a hotel has a report or not. Any hotel will, at some point, have a bed bug problem in at least one room. I'd much prefer to stay at a hotel that has a proven record of dealing with the problem in the proper way than stay at a hotel that claims never to have had a problem. I find the latter hard to believe while finding any hotel with a proven track record of acting swiftly and correctly to be a much safer feeling option than a hotel that takes an ostrich approach to bed bugs.

57. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 23 2011 9:39:02
    #

Login to Send PM

At the surface those all seem like viable, well stated points however, there are mitigating factors that, in my expereince & observation, will easily convene to defeat these and other similar points.

While it is best to avoid making ay assumptions, because we have an expereienced BB veteran in KQ who detected/discovered and reported the situaton there are some sound assumptions that may be made besed upon the information provided previously by KQ:

> Based upon the physical/visual evidence KQ discovered it is reasonable to contend that the Bs present in these two rooms were present beyond the turnover of simply one guest. As such, we may contend that beyond a 24 hour period elapsed where BBs were present within these rooms.

> This location bares the burden of a variety of factors that may be characterized under the umbrella of "this ain't their first rodeo" including:

* It is/has been well noted as the #1 tourist attraction in the World.
    * As per above it is well noted that international tourists are attracted on a daily basis.
    * Innkeeper rules (i.e. statutes) place a greater burden of responsibility upon innkeepers for providing safe haven to their guests. This includes providing pest/vermin free quarters.
    * This location provides a self managed and operated pest prevention program tha includes BB mitigation. Continued inspections are included within the prevention & early detection program conducted at this location as represented numerous times during industry presentations conducted by this location's personnel.

Questions that may arise include but may not be limited to:

> Should this location have discovered the presence of BBs within these rooms prior to KQ's arrival?

> Is it reasonable that these BBs discovered by KQ should have been discovered by the innkeeper staff during their inspection process prior to KQ's arrival?

> What damages did KQ incur as a result of the presence of BBs in his room(s)?

> Were prior guests who preceded KQ subject to the prsence of BBs within these rooms?

> Does the innkeeper have a duty to these guests?

> To what degree of reasonableness may these questions be asked and answered?

While this situation does provide fertile ground from which the vines of thought and discussion might grow, there are so many factors that must be considered that come into play in such matters.

Perhaps I've muddied the waters further yet?

Still, we all look forward to "the rest of the story" as told by KQ !

paul b.

58. BugsInTO

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 23 2011 12:25:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been reading the Bedbug Registry postings for US hotels for the last several months.

There two most common scenarios are:
    - People wake up, see a bedbug on their pillow and pull back the sheets and find more bedbugs
    - People come in late, or stay up late reading, and see a bedbug on the bed.

I am going to assume that people are lighter sleepers at hotels than they are at home in their own beds, but considering how people can take months to find bedbugs in their own homes when looking for them, I interpret this pattern of easy accidental sightings to mean one of two things:

1) The room has not been occupied for a while, so bedbugs are very hungry, or
    2) The room has a high level of infestation.

There is a wide variety of hotel response. I think that hotels are overwhelmed by this new resurgence of bedbugs, and that most of them are not putting a huge effort into proactively managing it. They are beset by other economic considerations.

My impression is that hotels are only reacting when guests complain. Guests have become the monitoring system. I also think hotels take advantage of the fact that most people take a few days to react to bedbug bites. People have checked out and moved on before the bites appear. They may not recognize them for what they are, or they may be staying at another hotel and blame the current hotel, when it was the prior hotel. (There are a lot of posts where people call the hotel afterwards, and my rough guess is 50% say they will check the room, and either never call back, or call back and say no bugs were found. )

Treating hotel rooms is hard because someone should sleep in the bed to keep the bedbugs from dispersing, which it problematic for hotels.

Those moments where KQ is being put "on hold" so Disney experts can identify if the bedbugs are really bedbugs was pretty tense reading. Would the hotel agree? would they try to claim they were exotic Florida carpet beetles?

59. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 23 2011 12:59:16
    #

Login to Send PM

BugsInTO - 29 minutes ago  » 
    would they try to claim they were exotic Florida carpet beetles?

They are more likely to claim Ostrich bugs which are a species called Cimex rediculous I have an artists impression of one since they are hard to find. The kink is below:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/ostrichbug.jpg

David

60. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 2:54:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, let me fill in the blanks so you know just how Disney handled the problem.

I'm just going to update the details on how they made good of everything. The rest of the story is just funny stuff I had to go through without my own personal belongings.

They were outstanding with the accommodations once they realized the problem.

First they took all our belongings and heat-treated them. They sent all of our clothing off property and had it professionally cleaned (I saw the bill, not cheap).

They upgraded our rooms to two bedroom suites.

They refunded me the first nights stay (I think it was around $900.00 for the two rooms). That was something I asked for once I realized this was not fun/vacation and my first day was basically ruined.

They gave us an unlimited expense account, allowing us to charge anything and everything. Cloths, shoes, toiletries, etc., Anything we needed while our belongings where not available to us. This alone cost them (retail) I would say around $1,800.00.

Most importantly they were very respectful. I know I snapped at one point because I was exhausted, needed sleep, food, and some cloths that didn't have anchors or stripes on them. Mickey socks were not in fashion for this dude at this point. Two managers were handling us personally and kept us in the loop every step of the way. I was very thankful to both of them.

Now, could they have prevented what I found? I would say most definitly.

My room: They knew that this room had a problem and had been treated.

1. I found what I knew was chemical spray on the headboard.
    2. Encasements on the bed to help fight the problem as well.

They should have successfully cleared this room if they have "2 specially trained dogs" that can find live bugs and viable eggs. They should also have the hotel cleaning staff searching this room for evidence. They should be using some type of monitoring device to help staff members identify a problem more quickly.

My mothers room: Where it appeared to be a bigger problem.

Judging from my experience there hadn't been any treatment in this room as of yet.

No chemical residual that I could visually see and no mattress encasements in place.

There was plenty of fecal traces ( a lot really) all over the undersides of the bed skirt. I also found fecal traces right on top of the blankets. Very, very, easy to see once I decided to look for it. For me it was clear that nobody was even bothering to look for signs on this room. It literally took me less then 5 seconds to find a live bug and under 5 seconds to see fecal matter.

Bottom line I was not out anything financially and it helped remind me to never let your guard down while traveling no matter how much you tell yourself, what are the odds? In my eyes they did the right thing for us as guests in a bad situation.

Always remember, this can happen anywhere, at anytime, to anyone. Just because this was an "upscale place" means nothing so always check your room when you wish upon a star kids!

61. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 3:04:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks KQ for sharing your experience and observations in this situation ! paul b.

62. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 14:27:37
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ,
    Do you think you were treated any differently because of your credentials?

Thanks for sharing info.

63. jduk

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 16:14:40
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ, this has been a fascinating, humorous, and riveting account of your recent busmans holiday and i thank you for the documenting of it. Your description of the enforced clothing you had to don whilst everything got sorted out was hilarious. The irony of the situation is staggering and serves as a salutory lesson to one and all. What is so marked however is the difference in how you reacted compared to how i can imagine most of us who have had previous run ins or just have a fear of bed bugs would have. It is to your credit that you bear no grudges against the hotel. I feel you have given us all access to what is usually an upsetting and hysteria inducing scenario, and shared your family's experience with us all in an entertaining and intimate fashion. It has also been interesting to read the debate that has been stimulated amongst the other professionals who post on this site. i truly hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your vacation and get some well earned rest. Thank you for sharing your holiday with us all, regards, jduk

64. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2012 17:47:26
    #

Login to Send PM

rAVENSFAN99 - 1 day ago  » 
    KQ,
    Thanks for sharing info.

I don't think so. The day was shot, I had nothing, what else was I or anyone to do. They had to step up to the plate.

65. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2012 17:48:02
    #

Login to Send PM

jduk - 1 day ago  » 
    KQ, this has been a fascinating, humorous, and riveting account of your recent busmans holiday and i thank you for the documenting of it. Your description of the enforced clothing you had to don whilst everything got sorted out was hilarious. The irony of the situation is staggering and serves as a salutory lesson to one and all. What is so marked however is the difference in how you reacted compared to how i can imagine most of us who have had previous run ins or just have a fear of bed bugs would have. It is to your credit that you bear no grudges against the hotel. I feel you have given us all access to what is usually an upsetting and hysteria inducing scenario, and shared your family's experience with us all in an entertaining and intimate fashion. It has also been interesting to read the debate that has been stimulated amongst the other professionals who post on this site. i truly hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your vacation and get some well earned rest. Thank you for sharing your holiday with us all, regards, jduk

You're very welcome.

66. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2012 17:55:59
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 7 minutes ago  » 

rAVENSFAN99 - 1 day ago  » 
    KQ,
    Thanks for sharing info.

I don't think so. The day was shot, I had nothing, what else was I or anyone to do. They had to step up to the plate.

Right, but the upgrade to the 2-bedroom suite seemed above and beyond compared to what I've read in other accounts. Either way, it's good that they took care of you.

67. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 9 2012 17:00:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure about that, I would imagine off season and room availability had plenty to do with it.

Another update: They actually credited me back 1,400 in room charges. Just had a look at my credit card statement and called them to make sure it was accurate. All good =)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,633 posts in 50,002 topics over 154 months by 21,865 of 22,346 members. Latest: georgia-sos, gingerstelpa, jaa5108