Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Bed Bugs in Hotel - Need Affirmation on my Approach

(103 posts)
  1. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2014 14:35:34
    #

Login to Send PM

First time with this issue - scared to death. Was in Boston area from Philly. Checked bed when I got in the room, saw nothing. Slept fine, woke up about 6am, used bathroom and laid back down, Just happened to see movement on other pillow, turned on light and captured the very small bug in a glass and called management. They reacted quickly. They offered to wash/high-heat dry my clothes shoes and have the room inspected. I had only stayed there one night - checked in around 8pm, left room about 8am.

My bag was on the other bed in the room (my mistake) and so was my laptop (which was on and warm). My clothes for the next day (minus socks and shoes which were on the floor), were hanging on the back of a chair.

Word comes back that the Pest Control Professional found one other bed bug on my box spring, and that's it (I was skeptical) and he checked my bag and that looked "fine" (even more skeptical). Long story short, I have a 2 year old son and I cannot risk bringing them home, so I put the following plan into action:

1) I accept the fact that I lost my stuff, so don't bother washing anything, throw it out - this included: All clothes in the bag, sneakers, toiletry bag, toiletries, laptop bag, jacket, etc.

2) The only thing I am keeping is my laptop, phone, cables from laptop bag (and some important papers), and clothes that I needed for my meeting for that day (this included clothes on the back of the chair and socks and shoes from the carpet).

3) After my meeting we drove from Boston to Philly in friends car. When arriving at his house, I asked him for trash bags, I put my laptop and power cords in one, and all my clothes except my boxers in another. That's right, I stripped down to my boxers in the cold @ midnight and sealed my clothes (inlcuding shoes/socks) in a bag - drove home almost naked - thank god I was not pulled over but I would have had an interesting story.

4) On the way home, stopped at a random commercial dumpster and threw the bag of my clothes from the day in there (shhh).

5) when I got home, my wife was waiting with a 3M full body hazmat suit that she bought at Lowes. I put this on outside and walked into the house and into a running shower - took off the hazmat suit and boxers in the running water and took a long hot shower. After the shower I changed into fresh clothes and picked up the wet suit and boxers from the base of the shower, sealed them in a trash bag and discarded.

Now, my only real remaining concerns (IMO) are my phone and laptop. I understand that laptop infestation is only in very extreme cases (which this didn't seem to be), but it was on the other bed and warm. So, I can't really freeze or heat up my laptop w/o losing it, so I am trying to avoid buying a new machine but I will if anyone thinks I should. I know that new laptop cost pales in comparison to bed bug treatment. Here's what I did:

6) The laptop was in my trunk sealed in a trashbag - I kept it in the bag and then placed that bag in a sealed plastic tub (duct taped around the whole perimeter). It remained in the garage overnight - only about 36 degrees which I know won't kill them. Then in the morning, I went to a coffee shop, opened the tub and bag there and inspected everything, no sign of any bugs, casings, feces. I am now using this laptop to submit this @ the coffee shop - no sign of bugs but I am worried about eggs. I think I will seal it up each night for about a month to be sure, and when I use it @ home will put duct tape around the perimeter to catch anything crawling out.

7) For my phone which was super hot on our drive home for about 6 hours as we were using it for GPS, I bought a new cover - and at night, I have duct tape on the bottom so anything crawling out should get stuck.

Last note, I put wires and some important papers from the laptop bag in the freezer in the garage - I know there are varying opinions on the efficacy of residential freezers, but that's the best I have right now.

Here's what I am looking for if anyone has the time or ability to respond (I greatly appreciate any feedback in advance since despite all of these precautions, I am terrified). Did I do enough, am I doing enough, what else could/should be done? Mistakes/wins, anything?

I am currently working with the Director of Operations of the hotel for reimbursement of some or all of my items lost.

Thank you again for listening.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2014 15:01:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK sounds like you had an unfortunate one there, with such low level infestations its not common to get transference on which is the first bit of good news to keep in mind.

Secondly as you have said the risk to appliances is low and from a professional perspective I would consider it an extremely low risk and as such would suggest the following:

• Read up on the FAQs
    • Look at long term travel checks
    • Consider a PackTite to process your luggage (essential if you travel frequently)
    • Consider monitoring your home
    • If you are really worried about your laptop ask a local PC repair shop to "clean it through" with compressed air

If you were unlucky enough to have brought something home it takes time for an infestation to develop and start to get out of control. Therefore its not too late to use something like the treatment by Passive Monitor replacement protocol to make sure nothing develops.

I developed this protocol in part to help people who were potentially exposed to bedbugs to either help confirm that they are present in a reasonable time frame or to actually help unlock a recently introduced infestation.

Its a shame that the clothing has been disposed of as it can all be saved or at least stored until you are able to process it correctly.

With regards the papers in the laptop bag it very much depends upon the type of freezer, only chest freezers are reliable and they must be a full -20 C or -4 F and the door cant be opened during the process. It would be easier if you could find an old washing mangle and squeeze the papers between the rollers. The other option is to do them by hand and eye over an empty bath.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 21 2014 9:50:44
    #

Login to Send PM

David, your quick reply and input is greatly appreciated. I am going to ask something that is probably beaten to death on this site so forgive me, but in your professional opinion, at what point would you think I can safely say that I did NOT bring them back (in terms of timeframe)? I know it's all conjecture, but would like your opinion. I just returned on March 19th so I figure it will be a while - and yes, I am considering your products as well, doing research.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 21 2014 10:11:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The time to "know your clear" depends on what you do to determine it.

The complexity here is that the longer bedbugs are present the more signs they leave so the easier it is to find them.

If you are only relying upon your own visual inspection I would say 40 days post potential exposure with a thorough visual inspection once a week.

A competent and experienced professional would be accurate if thorough after 21 days post exposure with the best (top 5 in the world accurate after 5 days).

Passive Monitoring if installed on a non isolated bed good sign if clear by 7 days and all clear by 14 days clear.

Visually confirming K9 could be accurate from day 2.

So hopefully that will show you that this is sort of a sliding scale of options in terms of time frames although that was the most logical way for me to rank them there are of course other options but I am focusing on what you may logically have access to. The cost of options may also be a factor to consider but I have already done the cost versus time equation as market research if you catch my drift.

Its also important to keep in mind that this is a low level exposure in the worst case scenario and therefore you need to also consider cost per detected bedbug. I once met someone who spent about $7,000 to kill a single bedbug, at times I have charged as much as $75 as an assessment only (we don't charge for the first 5 bugs we kill beyond the assessment fee) to kill a single bedbug but we try to keep the cost low. Its an economy of scale issue, when you have 250,000 bedbugs to start off with the first 230,000 are easy to kill and get progressively harder and thus more expensive per bug as you move towards the last few.

Hope that helps.

David

5. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2014 15:03:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi -

So no sign of bugs but I am not doing well mentally - still scared to death and having trouble sleeping. I have had my laptop and power cord in trash bags and tubes outside but have been using it inside with the tape around it. I see black marks on the top of the power cord but this could be anything from the way I was storing it - just wanted your thoughts on if that looks like their waste to you - thank you.

6. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2014 15:04:15
    #

Login to Send PM

not sure that image went thru - here:

http://postimg.org/image/mov6hj6k1/0b3ae8ce/

7. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2014 15:09:08
    #

Login to Send PM

so sorry for the spamming, now a more clear version:

http://postimg.org/image/x92uyo0il/d219f30d/

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2014 15:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry those links are to your upload confirmation not the files.

David

9. Distressed in NJ

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2014 15:20:36
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a lousy way to live. There HAS to be a way to make these creatures extinct.

10. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2014 20:01:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry. I work for a web development company but this has me so upset I can't figure out how to upload a picture. Trying again:

http://postimg.org/image/x92uyo0il/

http://postimg.org/image/mov6hj6k1/

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2014 20:24:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No too black for bedbug related.

David

12. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 7:28:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear byanymeans,

Actually, bed bugs may be drawn to a laptop due to the warmth if the temperature is within the relevant range of attractiveness.

Review of your post indicates that you made a bunch of good decisions to help prevent carrying a problem home.

Despite that the chances may be slight or slim that bed bugs may be in your laptop and likely less chance that the phone is a problem, folks often suffer from having 100% peace of mind.

As such, you have viable options to deal with your electronics should you wish to do so. Some options include:

> Suitably contain the items and heat treat using a hair dryer or some other suitable heat source. This may be done quickly and easily and, boom, you're done.

> Suitably contain the items and treat using a pest strip product. This takes longer but requires little labor time on your part.

> Carefully inspect and clean your items using alcohol wipes. Physically remove any suspect objects found. Most labor dependent and least reliable of the three in the event the person doing so is not thorough or does not know what he/she is doing.

Good luck ! pjb

13. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 7:54:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Great suggestions, Paul! Thank you!

14. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 10:11:02
    #

Login to Send PM

You guys are all fantastic. I fully realize that my situation pales in comparison to some of the posters here, and yet you take the time to help - thank you a great deal. I am using the laptop inside again today (although I tossed the power cord and bought a new one). The laptop is heavily taped up while I am using but I am thinking about using the hair dryer technique. If I get the laptop in a plastic tube with the hole cut for the dryer, about how long should I let the dryer run on hot? I can stick a thermometer in there if needed.

I slept a bit better last night knowing that the gunk on the old power cord wasn't BB related but I am still in a bad place. I am trying to stay strong for my wife as she is about 5000% more concerned than I am - so I keep telling her to relax (yet inside I am mess). I am trying to find some light at the end of the tunnel and anything positive - one thing that I remembered was how liberating it was to drive home in my boxers... something I probably never would have experienced :).

15. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 10:26:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I love that image of you driving home in your boxers!! What a hero you are!!

You are taking so many precautions and being so considerate of everyone. You are very resourceful and smart!

16. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 10:48:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, today I am getting my laptop professionally cleaned @ the Apple store - although I will still use the tape for about a month after just to be sure. My phone was cleaned w/ alcohol and I replaced the cover (this happened right after I got home - the next day). Of course, even though I am doing everything I can, I still feel itchy and see what I think are bites all the time - it's like the moment I start to feel like I am clear, something makes me nervous. Exhibit A - this morning I awake to these spots on my wife's side of the bed - it looks like smeared ink and has a pinkish hue - they are big spots - each about the size of a thumb, but wanted some opinions if possible. Thank you everyone!

http://postimg.org/image/bwi61sos3/

http://postimg.org/image/exjqdviu7/

http://postimg.org/image/jquarh5s9/

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 11:24:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Too out of focus to say what it could be but its clearly not bedbug confirming.

David

18. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 10:06:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, officially freaking out now. So Day 7 since I returned. I did a cursory check of our mattress and boxspring, and son's mattress and didn't find anything. But, I did find these marks on the bed skirt. And I am so damn itchy and always have a mark on my skin that makes me think I am getting bit. I should note that I am somewhat itchy/dry to begin with and I always have red spots that break open on my forearms especially as the weather is warming. Today, I notice the small of my back itching and see this - I am sending pix of the black spots, and the bite Thank you again for your time and it so nice to have a place to come and vent and get intelligent, informed, and timely feedback.

Bite 1 (upper left): http://postimg.org/image/7x7gn7mxx/

Bite 2 (same mark close up): http://postimg.org/image/hrekex9ll/

Skirt 1: http://postimg.org/image/3y8jlg38t/

Skirt 2: http://postimg.org/image/ef5425bvj/

Skirt 3: http://postimg.org/image/lga72x1zb/

Skirt 4: http://postimg.org/image/3s2pb2ys3/

19. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 10:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I should add that I don't know if those marks were there before I left for the trip, and this is the first time that I looked there since. Thanks

20. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 10:40:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Non of the marks on the sheet are bedbug related.

They are friction marks from something that has rubbed material off.

You know how Dexster specializes in blood spatter analysis, well you can apply the same sorts of theories to working out what marks are.

However the easiest way is to look at the example images and compare to what you can see. Bedbug related marks in images are almost always either discrete spots or like a "comet" with a tail.

The ability to discriminate between stains and faecal is something you develop through looking at hundreds and hundreds of examples. Helps when you have clear focus on the images as well.

Its now time to start counting days with no confirming signs of bedbugs because it will help to quickly reduce your anxiety.

David

21. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 10:50:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much David - that was awful to lift the skirt up and see that. Our cat is under there all the time and we vacuum rather violently so I am guessing that the vacuum pushed the skirt against the iron frame - or something like that. Either way, thank you tremendously. I will continue to monitor and hopefully will feel better soon (and I can finally leave you alone). Thanks.

22. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 11:12:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

So are to give you a ray of light and hopefully a smile I can confirm:

In the past I have noted a dark "smear" of almost oily consistency soaked into some parts of the sheets of beds with metal frames that have been subject to "wear and tear" through various activities.

If the marks on your sheets match up with the metal of the bed frame then it should be considered a good sign as it is not likley to be as a result of bedbugs biting at night but that does not automatically exclude other pests

At times we must be like a good tailor who's reputation is traditionally based on their ability to remain discrete in the face of something that may not present their client in the best of light.

David

23. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 11:47:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hah. Great response. Thank you. Well, until my wife is 100% sure we're clear, I don't believe they'll be a lot of wearing and tearing, but I'll remain hopeful.

24. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 12:27:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Sometimes it comes down to positioning the evidence.

You certainly have a lot more evidence that is confirmed as not bedbugs.

Its also true that with all the evidence you have found non of it being bedbugs actually diminishes your chances of having bedbugs as they will be running out of potential hiding places. The more thoroughly you look and find nothing the greater the chances are that its because there is nothing.

Now all we need is for the least stressed partner to cook a meal for the other and to arrange the candles and massage oils we will have gone about as far as we can with this one without our host marking it [Adult].

I know somewhere on the tinterwebz it's written that bedbugs are a nightmare for some but that does not mean it will always be a nightmare for all. I don't think I would have the stomach to stay in business if what we do did not work, after all you can imagine the reaction of an upset person well living with bedbugs for a few months and 3+ rounds of treatment would get most people upset had they paid for it as a service and that's in a culture where we are not known for complaining.

We need to catch more of the shooting stars, the cases where the right things were done quickly and efficiently and as a result the user has been and gone and is getting on with their lives (I like to think that may prompt a few of the lurkers to become sharers and supporters).

The main thing is that you still remain hopeful, I am sure the others will all be rooting for you although lets hope you don't have to follow the old 90 day rule :wink:.

David

25. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 12:39:10
    #

Login to Send PM

In the past I have noted a dark "smear" of almost oily consistency soaked into some parts of the sheets of beds with metal frames that have been subject to "wear and tear" through various activities.

Hah. Great response. Thank you. Well, until my wife is 100% sure we're clear, I don't believe they'll be a lot of wearing and tearing, but I'll remain hopeful.

Sometimes it comes down to positioning the evidence.

The main thing is that you still remain hopeful, I am sure the others will all be rooting for you although lets hope you don't have to follow the old 90 day rule

And the award for BEST LAUGH of the day goes to.......David and Byanymeans!!!!! Nicely done, gentlemen!!

And, yes, Byanymeans......we'll all be rooting for you!!

26. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 13:33:16
    #

Login to Send PM

These last few posts really allowed me to laugh and take a deep breath. A million thanks.

27. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 13:45:39
    #

Login to Send PM

HI Byanymeans,

I may not do much in the shoulder to cry on department but I think I punch above my weight in the dry sense of humor category.

Oddly enough there is a subtle reason in my case. So often its easier for people to share an amusing anecdote, to chuckle at an inappropriate moment or to make light of a dark situation after it passes.

I am willing to bet at some stage if you share that humor and then later someone will remember that you are someone who knows about bedbugs and then they know who to ask for help. The good news is that when they are at their point of fear you will be smiling because it will remind you of this.

I get the occasional from a traveler who having watched the video dodged an encounter and was able to enjoy their holiday as a result. Usually they say little more than "thanks just avoided a problem in <insert country name>". Oddly enough places that used to sell postcards would sell different designs about bedbugs and I have a collection from the 1890's onwards where the were used to warn others about places they have stayed.

David

28. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 15:25:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. I have already been telling the story of my immense anxiety to friends and recanting the story of the naked drive home - laughing at this situation and myself is my closest friend for this incident (well, that and you guys) - I hope to be able to keep my snese of humor. Injecting levity is one of my fortes as it seems to be for you as well. Those warning postcards from the 1800's are fascinating - just to think it's been an issue for that long. If it's 1893, and you have an infestation, what the hell do you do? Burn your house down I guess?

Great talk today David, and yes, as the day wears on and the sun begins to fall, that eerie feeling is creeping back in - I just can't stop itching and thinking I see bites. What do you think of these - on my back and much redder than the image portrays. I had a joke here about how I'm the only one putting scratch marks on my back these days but I'll leave that alone

Back 1: http://postimg.org/image/6nlut23ql/

Back 2: http://postimg.org/image/6e514s49f/

29. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 16:04:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I think it's great that humor helps.

With regards the bites, sorry all I have to say and yes I do mean literally all is contained in the bite primer in the green stickies. They are not an accurate diagnostic tool.

You will be fine if you focus on confirming and confirm able things.

David

30. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 16:34:17
    #

Login to Send PM

It does my heart well to read and appreciate the intelligent and good natured posts between you two men!!
    Thank you both for your honesty, humor, care, and good sense!!

31. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 12:48:20
    #

Login to Send PM

ok, here we go. Just when I try to relax on the weekend, I see this crawling on the tape on my laptop. In my lay assessment, this is not a bedbug but really need someone else's expert opinion before I jump off the roof. Thank you

Bug 1: http://postimg.org/image/poftgc5wn/

Bug 2: http://postimg.org/image/mm4odad49/

Bug 3: http://postimg.org/image/gn5vggpjp/

32. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 12:59:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Byanymeans,

No roof jumping for you today!! I'm not an expert by any means.....total pun intended ... and since not many experts on during the weekend hours, I thought I'd help you out with this one. It's not a bed bug. Try googling "varied carpet beetles" and see if that matches up for you.

Enjoy your weekend!!!

33. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 13:10:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you - I am hoping for a second opinion at some point just for peace of mind, but again, thank you. In the first two pix, you need to scroll to get to the bug.

34. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 13:19:03
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome and I did go back and look at pics #1 & 2 and found the bug.

Hopefully, an expert will be along to give a positive ID, but they aren't on very often during the weekend hours.

35. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 13:22:25
    #

Login to Send PM

but based on those other two pix is still your opinion that it is not a BB? Thank you again for your time.

36. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 13:38:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I went back and triple checked all the pics and I still think that what you have there is an adult carpet beetle....not a bed bug.

Honestly, I wouldn't give you my thoughts if I didn't feel certain that it was a carpet beetle. I would never want to misguide anyone when it comes to bed bugs, so I always keep that in mind. And with it being the weekend, I did want to offer you some peace of mind so that *hopefully* you could relax and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

I have them on occasion in my house and also there has been many posted on here for ID, so that's where I learned what type of bug is it and what it looks like.

37. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 31 2014 11:56:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello -

Thank you again Butterfly1972, you were very helpful and did allow me to enjoy my weekend. If anyone else has a moment to review the pics for a second opinion that would be great:

Bug 1: http://postimg.org/image/poftgc5wn/

Bug 2: http://postimg.org/image/mm4odad49/

Bug 3: http://postimg.org/image/gn5vggpjp/

Also, I wanted to check-in and say that today is day 12 since my exposure in the hotel. Over the weekend I tore the beds apart and thoroughly checked mattresses and box springs and all beds and crib. Also checked our living room furniture and drapes. So far, so good. I know I still have more time before I am clear but I am thankful that to-date there doesn't seem to be any evidence of BB's from my assessment. The thing that bothers me most still is my itching and thinking there are bites - I am almost certain this is stress (most of the itching is my feet and scalp) - so I am trying to relax. I will continue to inspect everything once a week until about 40 days has expired. Thank you for listening - hope you all enjoyed the weekend.

38. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 31 2014 12:35:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bedbugs.

It is an adult variegated carpet beetle or close relative.

Please remove all shoes and socks while in the home and start working through the carpet beetle information which you will find by searching the forum.

David

39. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 2 2014 21:17:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I am having a bad night. I found a bug on the wall. I tried to get a picture but I killed it. It was shaped like a extremely tiny cockroach and was super fast. Could kind of condense its body. I got it onto an envelope and when I went to scrape it into a dish it squashed. We don't have cockroaches but we have had springtails. This bug was extremely small, was hanging out in the middle of the wall, and when I hit it with the envelope it began scurrying very fast. In the past when I had springtails they would jump. This one didn't ever jump, just scurried then crushed really easily. Again sort of cockroach shaped body with two really long antennae. Something like this but smaller, younger, darker:
    http://www.livingwithbugs.com/Images/collembola_sara.jpg
    Please provide some input when you can. Thank you in advance.

40. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 2 2014 21:38:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Byanymeans - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Again sort of cockroach shaped body with two really long antennae.

Hi Byany,

Bed bugs do not have really long antennae. I believe their's are really short antennae.

41. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 2 2014 21:51:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you absolutely. If you or anyone else has any insight based on the other behaviors and charateristics I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you again.

42. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 2 2014 22:56:40
    #

Login to Send PM

It's NOT a bed bug.

Do yourself a favor and look at a lot of actual bed bug photos via this website and/or Google Images.

After you've looked at enough actual bed bug photos you should become more comfortable know what they look like for ID purposes.

This way you're not driving yourself crazy suspecting every critter you happen to find.

Hope this helps ! pjb

43. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2014 7:50:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Byanymeans,

My introduction to the knowledge of bed bugs came from a hotel stay (June 2011). I knew nothing of bed bugs before that time.....only the "don't let the bed bugs bite" saying.

I didn't know about checking my room or what measures to take once we were home. I only found out after reading online......and after all of our luggage, clothes, etc. were all over my upstairs family room waiting for the normal after vacation cleaning. So, basically, I did everything wrong.

I was convinced that we had brought home bed bugs and that they were all over our house. And I lived like that for 2 years. Every bug was a bed bug in my mind and every mark on myself or children just had to be from bed bugs......that kind of anxiety. I was checking daily with a magnifying glass and flashlight for signs. It's a very easy slope to slip down.

The good news.....we didn't bring home bed bugs. And I have since moved on from the "everything bed bugs" kind of thinking. It's hard, I know. So, I completely get what you are going through right now. It's hard to see a bug in your house and not instantly think it might be a bed bug. But, look at pics of bed bugs and really focus on what they look like. There is power to be had in being able to identify with your own eye what is or isn't a bed bug.

I also have encasements on all our beds and PackTite passive monitors on our beds and furniture. My husband travels a lot for work and it helps me to keep an eye out for signs of bed bugs. I check them once a month and move on. It gives me the peace of mind that I need.

I hope this helps you. Sometimes, just knowing that someone else has been where you are now can be helpful.....or at least it is for me. And you will move on from this time. It does get better.

Butterfly

44. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2014 23:25:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Butterfly - that was immensely helpful - that was really nice of you. So I am trying to remain educated and always put that above the panic - but as you know, it's hard. Exhibit A - I found this on the tile floor in our laundry room tonight, and immediately thought… BB egg(s). But I googled the images of them and see that they are white and very tiny. THis was black and squishy and a bit smaller than a watermelon seed: http://postimg.org/image/81kptokiv/

I really need to find a way to let this go, but I feel I can't until enough time has passed. David had said 40 days till I get the virtual "all clear"… and tomorrow is day 16. I am doing another thorough inspection of the beds tomorrow and will post the results here. I honestly wish I could fast forward a few weeks to know that I'm ok. My itching and scratching is the worst, and I know that stress is just making me itch more. Thanks again for listening and the kind words… talk soon.

45. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 6:59:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not BB related, its the wrong colour for a start. Viable eggs are a lovely warm honey amber colour while hatched eggs are a sharp crisp pearlesent white with a rainbow shine if you are lucky enough to have good enough eyes to see the detail.

No with regards the on-going anxiety, I am going to be blunt and question the logic of putting yourself through 40 days and nights of this. Please look back at my previous posts in this thread and put something in place so you will know you are clear with 14 days.

At this stage it will be helpful for you to understand this example. I have been helping someone who does not have bedbugs recently. They in fact have developed a rather nasty OCD trigger associated with bedbugs. As such the solution we have been working on is all about best practice and taking the sensible precautions when they travel and in their home.

They have an impending trip to the US and as such the anxiety level is high. We walked through the process of what is sensible and the fact that by working on a risk assessment modeling approach many of the common fears are diminished. At the end of the discussion the issue of the luggage when back at home came up. Do they leave the luggage in the bedroom or place it int he garden shed for 12 months. Now despite the fact that they will be barrier wrapping the luggage when they place it is the hold of the plane I have said to leave it in the bedroom which would not be my usual advice. However, in this case 7 days with the bag in the room will help reinforce the fact that the luggage wrap reduces the risk to close to zero and its a better option that worrying about the bag in the shed and the non existent bugs that could be there for 12 - 18 months.

Yes its not my job to consult people on issues of psychology but it is also my professional responsibility not to induce additional fear and anxiety through communicating with people. Yes this example is a more extreme one than "most" cases but as I explained on the phone just as we are born with an understanding that fire is dangerous (please don't test this by allowing your toddler to play with a naked flame) but we also tend to have a natural unease associated with insects. This natural instinct can before a very powerful trigger for certain compulsive behavioral patterns and the feedback loops that can occur are both not to be easily dismissed but also not to be encouraged where possible.

To some extent that also occurs with forums, I know its easy to ask and get the answer but certainly my goal around here is to point people to the right tools and educational resources so that they develop the skills not to only help themselves but to also be able to help others, both online and also in the real world. As such my prescription on this case is to re-read the thread in as relaxed state as you can and to also spend more time looking at example galleries to enhance your ID skills.

I want to see more posts along the lines of:

Just confirm this image is not ...........

Just confirming this image is a pscocid/booklouse/carpet beetle/ant/fly/<insert as appropriate>

That way we can get back to the much anticipated one that says:

Life is back to "normal" and that the only suspicious bites at night are more accurately "nibbles"

Hope this all makes sense and that its received as the encouragement that it is written as.

David

46. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 8:42:31
    #

Login to Send PM

David -

As usual, your advice is sound and eloquent. Ok, so I am still going to check the beds and furniture today but I am going to buy 2 or 3 passive monitors. Now, in the spirit of your last post (around superfluous questions or posts), I hesitate to ask, but can you point me to the right product? I searched the forums and found questions about their use but no product links that were active (some 404 errors). If you can point to the product and any info on proper use I will take it from there. Thank you again for your insight and consideration.

47. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 8:44:21
    #

Login to Send PM

... and I blame this on my psychosis... I just needed to look more closely at the ads on the side... I assume this is what you mean?

http://www.usbedbugs.com/PackTite-Passive-Bed-Bug-Monitor_p_45.html

48. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 9:45:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes that link is to the correct product, it is the US version of what I developed.

Thanks for seeing the logic.

David

49. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 11:03:14
    #

Login to Send PM

David - I just purchased two passive monitors from the US site - they will be here in 2-3 days.

I found this guy dead on the floor today and my research tells me it's some type of beetle and not a bed bug (if you were to say, hypothetically confirm this for me, I wouldn't mind):

http://postimg.org/image/8wx2dm6ov/

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1z6t8w2&s=8#.Uz7XpK1dWiA

Thank you.

50. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 11:15:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

One beetle and two pieces of silver birch seed.

David

51. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 12:19:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Simply posting this to blow off steam. Beds checked thoroughly today along with couches.... no signs of any bugs (Day 16). I also ordered 2 passive monitors for piece of mind. Thank you.

52. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 12:26:48
    #

Login to Send PM

*peace that is...

53. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 10 2014 10:39:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone -

Checking in.

It's Day 22. Today I tore the beds apart and checked couches, drapes and closets and all appears clear from my assessment. I don't see any bites on my son (2 years old) or wife, but I still am itchy and always am convincing myself of red spots - again, thinking this is stress. I see that my passive monitors came today so I will place those this evening. I am slightly better mentally, making low progress but not back to normal.

Since my eyes are constantly scanning every inch of the room for movement, I have continued to come across these very fast little bugs especially within the window sills. When I compare them to pictures of Bed bugs, they look nothing alike, but they do seem to resemble springtails which we've had before. The thing that is puzzling though is that previously the springtails would jump (like fleas) when touched, these just scurry quickly - if anyone has a moment to help with and ID I would certainly appreciate it - thanks a ton:

Window bug 1: http://postimg.org/image/xbzbfatuh/

Window bug 2: http://postimg.org/image/d7wv0f6o3/

54. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 10 2014 12:26:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bedbug related so pat on the back for coming to the conclusion and feeling empowered enough to state it. That feedback really helps us know you are on the right track.

I am not certain as to the ID but it reminds me of what I would call a thrip which are often found behind the glass on picture frames.

Nothing to be concerned over and just one of those things that was most likely an occasional visitor to your life that previously you had just not noticed. Over the years and years of focusing in the way that I do I have to say the world has more texture than first appears and not the sleek "Jetson" utopia it may first appear.

Hope the rest of life is starting to head in the right direction.

David

55. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 11:59:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello -

Having a bad day. It's a beautiful sunny day here and just got back from an Easter Egg hunt w/ wife and son… and went to a baseball game last night - so I am doing things and trying to stay active. Of course when I wake up this morning I see a red itchy spot on my arm and here comes all my anxiety flooding back. I know bites are really hard to ID. I looked up pictures of BB bites and some look like this (sort of) and some don't… just looking for some input on these and needing to talk/vent a bit. I do often get itchy spots on my forearms, have for several years, but now I am hyper-aware. Please let me know what you think, and again, thanks to anyone who can respond or even just listen. Today is "day 24" since exposure in hotel. Images of bites:

Bite 1: http://postimg.org/image/9jmtz96hp/

Bite 2: http://postimg.org/image/c2qwivj5l/

56. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 12:48:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Byanymeans,

I'm so sorry you are having a bad day. It sucks, I know. And, really, sorry you are dealing with it all.

You can't really tell anything from bites/skin reactions. I'll include a link about bites/skin reactions that is definitely worth the time to read. And forgive me if it was posted on this thread already. I skimmed through and didn't see it, so I thought I would add it in for you to read in case you hadn't read it yet.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post

Did you install your monitors and are they clean? If you did install them and they are clean, then that's a good sign!!

BTW, I miss my kids being young and going to Easter Egg hunts. Enjoy that young age. It all goes by so quickly.

Try and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Butterfly

57. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2014 12:21:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello -

Thank you Butterfly - always nice to hear from you. I got better on Sunday and overall my emotions are changing from fear and anxiety to anger and frustration (although I still experience the former too). I am so sick of this weighing on me.

I do need to ask a question to anyone. I ran into a snag with the passive monitors. My wife is convinced that the monitors have BB's in them already (as some sort of sabotage) or the monitors will attract the BB's even if we don't have them now. I understand that's not the case, but she is not comfortable with me putting them around the house. I was thinking that if I didn't actually stick/adhere them anywhere but rather just placed one between my boxspring and mattress if that would be effective? And only I would be the wiser. Let me know what you think, thank you. [Day 26]

58. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2014 13:01:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Hopefully holding the device up to the light so she can look into the tunnels will show that is not the case.

You only NEED to install one on the bed, the rest of the home aside from occupied seats is not needed, its a less is more approach where you simplify and optimize the environment around detection. To install them everywhere is just not needed and kind of works against the principles of creating a easy to manage check rather than obsessively looking for signs that are often not there.

You can install part between mattress and base but the head end of the base on the vertical is best of all.

The reality is that the sooner you start the process you sooner you can move on and get life to a normal state.

David

59. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2014 15:39:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David -

Will the monitor stick to the material of the box spring or mattress or does it have to be on a hard surface like a wall? I am trying to place it properly but hide it. Thanks.

60. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2014 16:27:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It will adhere to the material of the box spring and is low profile as you can see.

It does not need to be checked more than once a week or following any skin reactions.

David

61. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 15 2014 13:03:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello David -

[Day 27] - I thoroughly inspected our bed again today and in my assessment i see no signs of bugs. The only area of the bed that I can't see is inside the boxspring beyond the piece of material - this is where I hope the passive monitor will help. That is now on the box spring and facing vertically.

The only thing looking mildly suspicious on the cover beneath the boxspring were these marks. After googling images of BB's and their evidence on beds, I don't see anything exactly matching, but thought I would ask if you have a look:

http://postimg.org/image/6i1m5d6v9/

Thank you.

62. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 15 2014 13:51:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bedbug related.

I strongly suspect its spider related, egg sacks etc. Lou would be the one to confirm that.

Now please stick to a 7 day inspection or if you must after any suspect activity.

As I have stated before I am keen to see logic and good patterns not too much checking which tends to feed anxiety more than it needs to.

Hope that makes sense.

David

63. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 17 2014 2:32:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello -

It's 3:32 am here. I cannot sleep. I had one of my best days yesterday but today was dark and right before I turned in, I found a raised, red welt near my chest area - this sent me into a full-blown panic attack. I cannot do this anymore - I need to know if these damn things are here. I have to call someone from Pest Control to inspect - even though I have not seen anything after very thorough searches, I am worried I am missing it. This is hell. I have not had anxiety for almost 20 years and this has brought it back with a vengeance. Of course knowing you have them is worse, but not knowing takes a heavy toll. I yearn for relief… I'm lost. Thanks for listening.

64. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 17 2014 2:43:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Update - the welt is much lighter now and not nearly as visible been about 20 minutes since I noticed it. Not sure if bites do that. I know, everyone reacts differently… adding to the ambiguities that make this so torturous.

65. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 17 2014 4:05:55
    #

Login to Send PM

The welt is now gone - totally gone. Don't know if it was a bite or not - don't know what the hell is going on...

66. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 17 2014 7:25:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Byanymeans,

My heart is just breaking for you….. I know exactly where you are right now with the anxiety and panic attack. I have suffered with both for many, many years….and they are extremely exhausting; both physically and emotionally.

I also understand the skin reactions you are talking about. Soon after coming home from our hotel and for the next few weeks, I was having skin reactions that looked just like bites to me. They were on my face, chest, and back. That did not help my fear that we had brought home bed bugs. And, honestly, I believe my skin reactions at that time were caused by my anxiety.

I did call in a PCO and he did a very thorough inspection. He didn't find any signs at all. While I was just outside our bedroom, I heard the PCO tell my husband that if we did have bed bugs, he could get rid of them, but he couldn't do anything to get rid of my “head bugs”. That stung pretty hard, but looking back now, I get what he was saying.

The worse panic attack I had was after we had just checked into a resort for a family vacation. The mere thought of walking into the room was overwhelming for me. I ended up in the lobby bathroom, on the bathroom floor (ewww!), having the worst panic attack that I had ever experienced. A very sweet bathroom attendant took care of me until I could pull myself together again.

That was the start of my turning point. I knew that I had to overcome this bed bug anxiety…..for myself and for my family. My passive monitors were a help, encasements were a help, but it wasn't until I left this site for a time and forced myself to not think about bed bugs at all was I able to move on.

Now, my “deal” with myself is that I will not believe we have bed bugs unless I see signs (fecal, cast skins, or actual bugs) on either my monitors or on my encasements.

I take the necessary precautions when traveling and enjoy my time. It’s not always easy, but I do force myself to think differently than I did before. Retraining my way of thinking, so to speak.

I wish you the best of luck with all of this, Byanymeans. If calling in a PCO will help you to have peace of mind, then that is what you should do. Only you know what the best thing is for you and what will help you. I don’t know how you feel about prayer, but I will be praying for you. I hope that doesn't offend you.

Take care!
    Butterfly

67. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 17 2014 8:00:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Byany,

I'm so sorry you are still having such a hard time with the thought that you might have brought bed bugs home with you. You have to repeatedly tell yourself that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that with the precautions you took that you brought any bed bugs home with you, much less into your home with you! I am confident that with everything you did, that you did not either bring them home with you or into your home (she says from another city/state).

However, think about this: (1) The "infestation" in the hotel room was light/small (based on you saying you checked the room and the PCP saying s/he only found one other bug) (2) You threw EVERYTHING away except for your computer, phone, papers and cables . . . as you know and stated, bed bugs are not typically attracted to those items especially in a low level infestation; (3) you took extreme measures to not bring anything into your home; (4) you inspected and had cleaned the few remaining items you thought could be a problem; and (5) you have been searching daily for ANY signs . . . and you have not found ANY signs!!!

I hope you talked your wife into letting you put the passive monitors, in the correct location, on your bed. Tell her you need them there for your peace of mind . . .

and speaking of peace of mind. . . if an inspection from a Professional will give you peace of mind, GO FOR IT (says the person that had five PCO inspections in six weeks)!

68. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 17 2014 10:04:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Butterfly and Absolutely - Reading your responses this morning helped a great deal. I am amazed how I am consistently knocked down after starting to feel better - there is always something keeping me in this hell.

For the most part, my anxiety is being maintained by marks on my skin, and seeing my wife (or someone else who is in the house) scratch themselves. I keep trying to use logic in this case. For example, when I got to that hotel where this incident happened, before I even stepped into building, I had open scratch marks on my forearm from itchy red spot that appear on there... they have appeared there for several years and I never thought anything of them. So I know that I am a person that gets itchy spots and also has numerous skin blemishes (moles/red spots). Now, the welt I had last night is not something I see on me usually, but I have to take into account that I am not sleeping and under constant, heavy stress - I know this can make you itch and breakout (and man do I get itchy when the sun goes down as the stress creeps in). And like I said, that welt appeared, and within 20 minutes was gone. I made an appointment w/ a dermatologist but of course, they had no openings for like 3 weeks.

We have an exposed post and beam home and when I look around the house I think, there are millions of places for them to hide, the possibilities are endless, I am doomed. My inability to see somewhere (like inside the boxspring) makes me think that is the place they are hiding and breeding. I just can't find total peace... I can see it sometimes, and start to feel it, then it's defeated by something.

I cannot wait for this to be over but I don't know what "over" means... what date means relief. At this point I am just rambling and you all have to listen - so sorry, you're all immensely good people for listening.

69. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 17 2014 10:28:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Every time I read one of your posts I think, "Been there, done that.....and, I think I've got a medal somewhere to prove it".....LOL. Just trying to be a little funny. Sometimes, laughing gives a person a small break from the stress.

But, in all honestly, I do relate to almost everything you post. It will get better. The longer you go without any confirming signs, the easier it will get.

Skins reactions are just that.....skin reactions. They can be caused by so many things. We had a lice outbreak at our school when I was working there.....and by "outbreak", I mean multiple kids being sent to the school nurse every day for a few weeks.....including kids out of my own children's classrooms. I was a MESS. My head itched INSANELY. I was constantly scratching my head and was convinced I had lice (do we see a pattern here??!!....lol). The school nurse was a close friend of mine and I was in her office every day over a two week time period for her to check my head under the "lice" light. She never found anything.....except....that I had broken out in hives on my scalp from all the stress that I was causing myself.

BTW, I never did have lice, my kids never had lice, the children that I watched after school never had lice. I had let my fear and anxiety take over and I went through Hell during that time. I became the queen of "after school scalp checking" during that time. And......nothing ever came of it.

So, now I try and not let fear and anxiety control me so much. Sometimes it works....sometimes it doesn't. But, I do try and keep it under control. How many times do we have the fear of "what if".....and it never actually leads to anything at all......except the loss of peace in our lives during that time?

Hope this helps you.... And.....now my head itches.....lol.

70. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 17 2014 10:40:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hah - great post - sorry I got your head itchy! Here's another observation that I am gleaning from this hellish experience. Time is really the best cure... as time passes and you are clear, you can rule out an issue (it's dealing with that elapsing time that kills you). I've noticed that this is the slowest moving time known to man... it is [Day 29] since the hotel and feels like about 5 years ago - because I want time to prove that I'm clear, it glacially creeps along, slower than slow. If we can find a way to bottle this perception of elapsed time and apply it to Holidays (or even just for weekends), we'd all live in a happier world.

71. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 17 2014 10:47:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Byanymeans - 2 minutes ago  » 
    sorry I got your head itchy!

LOL.....no worries.....I kinda sorta do it to myself.

If we can find a way to bottle this perception of elapsed time and apply it to Holidays (or even just for weekends), we'd all live in a happier world.

Agreed!!! All the "good" stuff flies by, while all the "not so good" stuff seems to linger....and linger.....and linger. I often find myself wishing for a magic wand and some pixie dust....

72. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 22 2014 20:49:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone... things are going... "ok". I am feeling better, but not back yet... working hard at getting there though. I will send a more formal update soon (for anyone who cares) but I just wanted to double-check something. I have these bugs in almost every window sill both day and night. My searches say they are not BB-related but I do see some images of BB's with elongated bodies and I feel I need to double check. I am posting two images. These bugs are mostly in the window sills, sometimes on the walls. They are very fast, and although I thought they were springtails, they do not jump. They react when touched and run quickly - they are very tiny and crush to dust very easily. If someone has a moment to confirm what they are, I would appreciate it. Hope everyone is doing well and thanks for listening.

Pic 1: http://postimg.org/image/rn5gl3wn1/

Pic 2: http://postimg.org/image/444a794fj/

73. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 23 2014 8:00:14
    #

Login to Send PM

IMHO., very humble, it doesn't look like bb.

Bumping up for expert

74. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 23 2014 9:02:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Confirming they are not bedbugs, the antennae are just all wrong.

David

75. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 24 2014 20:52:41
    #

Login to Send PM

[Day 36] - I honestly feel that some larger force is working against me here. When I last posted I indicated that I was feeling better... and quite honestly I was - it was slow progress but I noticed that I was not thinking about this non-stop. There were long periods of time, including the night hours, when I was relaxed and focused on other things. Anytime this positivity takes hold, something, like clockwork, pulls me back into the anxiety - it's unreal and infuriating. Today my son (who slept with us for about half the night) had two red blotches on his cheek and I lost it again - thinking they are biting his face - the redness went down but tonight as I was putting him to bed I could still see a bit of a red welt. We only have two occupied beds, ours, and his crib/bed. His mattress is basically bagged (although not formally for BB's)... but it simple enough to take off the sheets and mattress cover and inspect the zipped up cover - never see anything. I also inspect his wooden crib - never see anything.

This incident caused me to again rip up our bed too (which has a passive monitor on the boxspring). I see nothing on the mattress, boxspring or monitor (although can't see inside the boxspring). It's been 36 days since my hotel visit and the monitor has been on the boxspring for 6 days. Logic tells me those are good signs, anxiety says they're in the walls breeding, and striking slowly, in two months we'll need to do a short-sale on our home because the infestation will be so bad and we'll need to throw away everything we own... no house, no belongings - all because I didn't check my damn hotel bed well enough.

I did talk to my wife last week and she and I had a full disclosure meeting - I told her how much I am struggling with this and she was fantastic - she basically told me there was no way we have bed bugs - now I know that can't be 100% guaranteed but it was nice to hear - and it helped put me on the path to sanity. But now the red cheek on my son and I experience a huge regression. My wife said... it's spring, you cut the grass yesterday and he was rolling in it., he was with your in-laws today and they wear cologne/perfume.. of course it's allergies... I politely nod like I see the logic, then I go off and worry with my stomach in knots.

The worst part continues to be skin issues - is that a bite?? no one knows... well if there are bites you would see bugs right? Not necessarily. The bites must be from last night right? no, they could be from 7 days ago. I think of the welt on my chest with a dot in the center (just like I read about) from two weeks ago and I try to tell myself that was stress since I was sleeping about an hour a night and looking for bumps exactly like that - it appeared then vanished in minutes. I think of my chronic forearm bumps and try to remind myself that I always have them - and now I am obsessed with my son's cheek.

My goal was to reach day 40 and check the beds once more, and the monitor and report back to you all to say 40 days, no signs on us, the bed or crib, or passive monitor - and declare a virtual "all clear"... I feel like I can't do that now with uncertainty around marks on our skin so that light at the end of the tunnel is now gone too - I need to break these chains - unless of course I have BB's, then I need to deal with that.

Even if no one reads this, it is such a relief to type it out - endless thanks.

Byanymeans.

76. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 25 2014 6:50:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am so pleased to see that you have set yourself a target of day 40 but if it helps you could bring that forward to day 38 which also means your last thorough inspection is on the weekend which makes it easier time wise.

I can assure you that bedbugs don't live in the walls and come rushing out when the lights go out. Its a common fear but it is also a huge myth. Walls are just one of the last places that bedbugs want to be and although they "can" reside there its a long way from "they always" reside there.

You have provided any bedbugs with a perfect home to move into and one that means they will leave signs on the doorstep. Its a bit like leaving a nice car in the parking lot with all the doors open, the engine running, the stereo blasting and a sign that says "nearest doughnut shop 100 miles". Time after time since 2009 we have shown that even if they do not immediately move in they explore and in doing so leave signs. You would hardly expect that flame red Ferrari to be still there a week later.

Bedbugs themselves can be an anxiety inducing problem to deal with but so can not having bedbugs and thinking you do based on non-confirming symptoms. Often its harder to remotely deal with the non-bedbug cases because people are so self-sure of their diagnosis that its tough to break.

This is why a systematic and logical approach is always the best, it sets boundaries and structure without turning your life upside down.

Think of it as a measured response.

Please to hear that you have had an open discussion and that the support is there. I am not sure if I have shared this quote yet but its appropriate:

Whereas a women tend to be comfortable sharing personal information face to face, men tend to share shoulder to shoulder.

The quote comes from a group I heard about recently called "man sheds". Its a project based support concept for men where they meet up and work on skill based projects in small teams. I have my occasional "boys night out" where we meet for a cut throat shave and food, its a great chance to catch up and reconnect.

Once you can rule bedbugs out and move on it may help to keep an accurate diary of any reactions and map exactly where they occur on the body. While morphology and appearance are not good indicators the location can sometimes help but you need as much clear data as possible. There is simply no determinable pattern in 1 - 5 reactions. I may also just be a temporary or seasonal/environmental issue that either passes or you desensitize to it. Its kind of why there is no short list of candidates as to what it could be, although there are some suspects CB's, dust mites, allergic reactions these things often just resolve and as such there is no end point to actually work out the frequencies for statistically.

I also want to share something that I have learned over the years and although I am not a parent myself it should be almost universal logic. The only fear we are all born with is that of fire, as such all others are taught either deliberately or subconsciously to children. If a child sees an adult distressed because of a mouse, insect or anything they will often develop that themselves.

Thankfully it is fast to unlearn at an early age and on a few occasions I have seen children literally go from screaming the place down to being curious an inquisitive because they live in a world where rapid cycling emotional stimulation is more normal. Its usually followed by the adult saying "yes now you come to mention it I have no idea why I have such a strong reaction to <insert fear> but now you come to explain it there really is no point in getting stressed".

No don't get me wrong powerful emotions and passion are great driving forces but the true power of them is in how they are used and directed rather than expressed. Shouting or tears never add anything to any situation but taking that energy and using it in a hyper aware "matrix bullet time"
    moment is a rush like bungee jumping.

Anyway, I just stopped to read through the whole thread again and I have to say I am pleased to see progression.

I wonder if we can anticipate a day 39 "nibble" update?

The other positive you can take away from this is you will make sure you inspect a hotel room thoroughly next time. A few years ago at a global BB summit I do recall a world leading authority confessing over breakfast that he had been bitten in a hotel recently and his reactions are some of the most severe forms.

Hope that all makes sense and that the smile helps.

David

77. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 25 2014 15:42:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Funny I missed this thread

I guess I've been outside more, away from the screen which is such a great thing now that spring is here....

My contribution on this forum are mostly of psychological nature and on the effect that bed bugs ( real or imaginary) can have on a person.

Byanymeans I see an anxiety spin here, you are building a hard wire in your brain that may be extremely difficult to remove afterwards, you do not have any bed bugs, but you keep telling yourself that you do, and after awhile your brain will react as if you have bed bugs and transmit it to your body with perhaps bite like skin reactions....

I know it's not easy to control and the worry is legitimate....

The over-worry however is irrational, you need to destroy that

As time goes by this can become a serious obsession, some people on this forum are posting repeatedly pictures of non related bed bug things, and even after several months of experts telling and repeating it's not bed bugs, they keep repeating the pattern...

It's like the pattern is un-doable at this point, no matter what anyone says or point out to the person...

It's not complete insanity or psychosis or in fact any form of weakness, it's just human nature that is overwhelmed by anxiety

now you do not have bugs

you can decide to slow down your over exited senses, get some decent sleep stop looking at everything thinking it's bed bug related and go about your merry way living your life in happiness

the other choice is you feeling miserable for months on end, years even, confused, extremely worried, sad and freaking out

I prefer the first choice don't you?

and yes "you can help it"

Godspeed to you

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  78. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 26 2014 20:50:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Apologies for the delay here. So to both David and Andrea, you both gave me very insightful and heartfelt responses that surely took time away from your busy days - for that I thank you. I do see that I am being irrational, and other people see it too. We have had my cousin and his wife, who is my wife's sister (which all totally legit despite sounding sketchy) - over about 3 times to sleep here since I have been at the hotel. I basically screamed from the mountain tops that they should not stay and it was not wise to sleep here and bring their luggage... they basically said, um, you don't have bedbugs, so we're staying. I had my cousin look at the bed with me - and I could tell that with the looks he was giving me he was saying... "you need to calm down man".

So, with all of that being said - I still am having trouble shaking this... if I had gotten worse, I would be seeking professional help, but as I have mentioned, I am having glacial progress that seems to always be stomped on by something that I perceive as alarming.

Andrea, let me give you an example. If you read the thread you know that I was feeling pretty darn good then saw marks/welts on my son's face and went spiraling downward - that was Thursday. Friday, I felt great. Today, I notice that he's rolling in the grass and his other cheek is red now... so there, mystery solved, he's having a mild reaction to the season change... great. So this sets things up for Saturday (today/tonight) to be great... right? Wrong. As the sun goes down, I look around our room and notice a leather box-ish thing that my wife has for books and magazines - I think, I know I shouldn't check that for bed bugs, but let me look... and dammit, if I don't see black streaks all over one of the books, and a little on another... and here's the kicker... what's the name of said book?? It's a book about infant/toddler nutrition called "WHAT'S EATING YOUR CHILD?"... are you kidding me?? Here comes anxiety, here comes seeing movement out of the corners of my eyes, and here comes no sleep.

I know you just called out people for consistently sending in photos after multiple negative identifications but I have to send these from the book - it's on one and a bit on the other. I see no skins or eggs on bugs within that box and I checked the passive monitor and it's clean. So you see, as I claw to freedom, bed-bug-bedlam grabs my ankles and pulls me back under -

Here are the photos:

Book 1: http://postimg.org/image/vmzz4qmub/

Book 2: http://postimg.org/image/r7fhq0nc9/

Andrea/David (and butterlfy and anyone else who has responded) - the last thing I want to do is waste anyone's time - and as much as I am grateful for the kindness and consideration of the members/moderators - I want to stop posting and step away from the site... I know that's what I need to do... but I'm sorry, I am not there yet.

79. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 26 2014 20:57:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for some typos, I am running on very little sleep of course... this line

" We have had my cousin and his wife, who is my wife's sister (which all totally legit despite sounding sketchy) - over about 3 times to sleep here since I have been at the total."

The word "total" should be "hotel"....

80. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 26 2014 21:00:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I just saw that I can edit my posts, so nevermind...

81. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 26 2014 23:02:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Those streaks are extremely remote from having anything to do with bed bugs whatsoever.

They do not even belong in the same universe of bed bug signs.

The good thing is that you are aware that you are overcome by anxiety, trust me, it's a good thing.

The object of that anxiety is the fear of having bed bugs and or thinking that you have them when you don't.

Don't feel that you are alone and insane, heck I was once so freaked out and anxious, I'd get angry at the mere suggestion that my issue was not bed bugs ( I actually had bed bugs, but when they were finally all exterminated, my mind would not let go, for months on end), some people move repeatedly, thrashing everything they own, "to escape the bugs", when they don't have them, then once settled in a new place, having lost all their stuff, deep in a money pit, they say stuff like "I can't believe I still have bed bugs" and they move again, they thrash everything again. They live on layers upon layers of insecticide, they destroy their normal sleep pattern. This goes on for years and years.

I believe David saw a case were a man threw out everything he had, save for his ATM card, only to realize later it wasn't bed bugs.

Paul Bello has this story of this man that now lives by the river (or in a trailer? or both?)

Killer Queen (John) calls it "riding the bed bug crazy train"

When I spoke to PCOs at the end of my ordeal, thinking my situation was unusual, each one had a story (awful stuff really, sticky traps everywhere you can walk, no furniture anymore, years going by, loss of jobs, loss of family, loss of everything)

the last thing I want to do is waste anyone's time

You are not wasting anyone's time. This is a forum and the folks decide to respond or not to threads on their own time.

We can tell you that you have no bed bugs, over and over and over and over and over and over

And you can post all sorts of unrelated things and people will repeat over and over and over that it's not bed bug related.

The thing is, you have to tell yourself that as well, that part is up to you and you only, only you can do it, no one else.

Sometimes, when people are really spun off, a mild temporary sedative can help.

You can also check out those awesome threads that JustChecking starts to relax.

This worry has taken a bad hold of you.

You had enough energy to sensitize yourself, you have more than enough to desensitize yourself.

It's up to you.

82. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 26 2014 23:24:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Forgot,

I have a great analogy, this local Dr once told me.

OK say your driving and trying to get back home, at some point there is a fork, a choice of two roads, you are lost and don't know which one to take...

So you take the wrong one, after a while you realize, heck I'm on the wrong road, the fork is not far away you can still go back and get on the right road to go back home

So what do you do? do you keep on driving forward on the wrong road?

The longer you do, the harder and more difficult it will be to get back to that fork

Hit the brakes, turn around, go back to the right road, the one that will lead you home. That's the road to recovery.

Right now you have the pedal full speed on the wrong road.

Everything will be OKAY, you'll be fine.

Once you turn back....

83. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 28 2014 12:47:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok endless_, your words are hitting me hard - in a good way. I am turning the corner here. I am going to step away for a bit (from the forum) but I will check in later. Lastly, I don't want to abandon the forum altogether because I will inevitably be traveling again for work - chicago and san francisco on the way. I know the level of expertise here is stellar, so I will want to ensure I am taking the right precautions and asking the right questions for my hotel stays. I honestly have felt about 60% over the last two days, and I plan to keep ascending. Thank you everyone, thank you so very much.

84. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 28 2014 13:36:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Also confirming its not bedbug related. The image is too out of focus to be 100% certain but with that mottled effect I would say mildew or mold.

So long as we see forward movement its not a waste of time.

Different people deal with bedbugs and even suspected bedbugs in different ways. Its a lot easier to get to the root of the issue with verbal communication but our hope is often that these exchanges help more than just those actively participating.

Our hope is that you pick up and retain enough knowledge to avoid in future but also to pay forward the time that had been spent with you with others and were possible in the same vein so that eventually we can have everyone up to speed.

I gave an hour tonight to a TV researcher who wanted to do some work on bedbugs. If it soaks in he will have gone from "its all about dirty people and the Berlin wall and insecticide resistance" to people need to know how to avoid bedbugs and to make sure they catch the issue quickly if they cant avoid them and most importantly that everyone has a right to good quality help and as such while he wanted to see a "typical spray and prey (his words)" people would be better served by appreciating why "a bad workman blames his tools".

I have "faith in your bro" we might not be finished with you yet but we are a lot further along than we were on day 1. I do however expect a postcard from your next trip.

David

85. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 28 2014 21:51:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Byanymeans,
    Enjoy the break! We will be here if/when you need us.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  86. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 29 2014 11:11:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Just saw there were two responses so just read them.

David - thanks for the kind words man, I'll get you that postcard.

Nobugs - that means a ton to me, thanks.

Talk soon.

87. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 6 2014 19:52:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone -

It's been a while since we talked, and I hope everyone is doing well. I hate to come to this forum for selfish reasons but I need to ping the group unfortunately. My state of anxiety since we last spoke was in a constant state of improvement - I had triggers, trust me (that could throw me into internal chaos), but mostly I was propelling towards normalcy (or at least "me" prior to the hotel incident).

I have traveled several times since that fateful trip and I was obviously hyper-vigilant and aware and took numerous precautions. I had successful business trips and vacations and managed not to over-stress there or when I returned.

One of my biggest triggers was the presence of thousands of elongated springtails in my home. They are benign to your body and home but they invade in droves and we had them on everything including our bed - this was a difficult hurdle and there were nights when their presence did make me sleep downstairs away from my bed - but I fought through and now that the weather is hotter and dryer, we don't see as many.

Sorry this is longwinded and probably massively uninteresting. Here's my current issue. In the last 3 weeks or so, I had totally let go of the anxiety, and felt great - then on Wednesday morning of last week - a HUGE trigger. I brought my son into bed (he's 2.5) around 6am and noticed spots on our white sheets - it was still too dark to see what they were. When I could see, I noticed that they were clearly blood spots and of course, I had a itchy welt/spot on my lower back about where my boxers waistline is... the fear rushed back.

I found several of these spots on the bed on both my side and my wife's. Remembering what David had so effectively taught me, I began researching the spots. I should have taken photos but I was so freaked out I washed/bleached everything immediately. Here's what I can tell you. Based on the blood spot document that David always references here: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-blood-spots-on-sheets-primer - the blood spots were all bronze and rust in color (meaning they were not fresh) and they had no streaking. There were no crushed bugs in the bed and the passive monitor is clean. So I am left w/ several non-streaking, rust colored blood stains throughout the bed and one itchy welt on my back (that faded later that day). I will also callout that before the fateful hotel trip I do recall seeing a large (very large) blood stain on my wife's side of the bed about where her upper torso would be - at that point in time, I did not even think about bed bugs and if it was one - it would have been the size of a small bear - so my point here is - I guess there's a pre-bed-beg-trip history of blood on the bed (I am reaching for anything to make myself feel better).

Just looking for some insight. I want to say again what an amazing group of experts reside here and how intensely helpful and selfless you all have been - David, Endless, Butterfly... looking forward to hearing from you if you can spare the time. I am trying not let this get me but it's grip is tightening.

88. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 6 2014 20:13:21
    #

Login to Send PM

In the last 3 weeks or so, I had totally let go of the anxiety, and felt great

do it again, go back there

don't listen to the inner voice of anxiety (they do get louder as you are about to completely get rid of them)

the passive monitor is clean

that's all end of story

I'll repost an old statement for you to cope (from up the thread)

remember, it is a choice, you control it (anxiety fools you into thinking that you don't but you do)

you can decide to slow down your over exited senses, get some decent sleep stop looking at everything thinking it's bed bug related and go about your merry way living your life in happiness

the other choice is you feeling miserable for months on end, years even, confused, extremely worried, sad and freaking out

I prefer the first choice don't you?

89. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 6 2014 20:18:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I am happy to hear from you, but I can tell you are somewhat concerned. I don't have any experience with blood stains, but the others who do will be on to reassure you soon. Butterfly hasn't been on in a while; I'm sure she would love to help you if she sees your post.

I hope all is fine. Stay positive and strong!

90. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 7 2014 9:08:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi again,

Maybe you should start a new thread so it will get noticed sooner. Hang in there!

91. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 7 2014 9:50:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its impossible to comment on the spots without seeing them as what you see as one colour is often not the whole pallet and depth of colour as as such descriptions alone are not reliable.

The location of them is wrong for bedbugs though.

If your Passive Monitor is clear then you have nothing to worry about so long as its been installed for 14 days.

David

92. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 7 2014 11:34:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you everyone. The passive monitor has been installed for a couple of months (or more). If the blood reappears, I will take pictures. I am doing much better today having heard from you.

93. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 14 2014 15:51:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello -

Back from a Saturday night stay @ an Inn. One night for my wife and I to get away alone - we got her sister to watch my son - all was setup to be great. Then, the universe continued to abuse my mental stability. We were escorted to an old room that used to be a library - the room was interesting but not clean. My wife and I began doing a thorough bed inspection. They had the mattress and boxsprings in bags. I saw some red spots on the sheets (I know, not confirming) and I did find a couple of bugs - one an outdoor japanese beetle, the other a dead mystery bug (didn't seem to be bed bug). Overall, I was uneasy.

I went to talk to the owner, and I posed my question like this (which may be good advice if not already called out on here): "When was the last known BB incident in our room?" - rather than "have you ever had BB's"? He stammered for a minute and then said I won't lie to you, we have had issues with them in that room. I shuddered, then asked when the last one occurred - he replied with "6 weeks ago, but it was one bug and it was dead". Needless to say, I told him there was no way that I would sleep in there. He moved us up to a bigger room and showed me that he has regular K9 inspections of the whole Inn and that has been the only room to get a positive - OF COURSE I GET THAT ROOM!!!.... and he said the new room we were in has never had an issue in his 25 years at the Inn.

So we got to the new room and it was much cleaner (I know there's no relation to cleanliness and BB's but it made me feel better). We then tore that bed apart and saw nothing. Our luggage (one carry bag) was hung on the back of the bathroom door and never left there and we slept on top of the bed (meaningless, but made us feel better). While we were out having food and drinks I wanted to drive home (about 2 hours) so badly even though it was about 2am and I had some drinks but we thought better of it - "should we go somewhere else to stay??"... "well what if they have BB's too??".... etc. etc...

The morning brought no signs of bites/blood/bugs and when we were leaving the owner told me that he appreciated my candor in discussing the issue with him and noted that he takes the issue very seriously; and they are constantly monitoring for them w/ weekly PCO/K9 inspections. They get many visitors from Manhattan and he noted that the issues have arrived often after they leave (not sure I believe that). The Inn was packed and I'm sure someone was put in the library.

Anyway, while at breakfast, we talked to another couple about our experience and they said their Inn also had a history of them (this was miles from ours) - so I guess, you can't stop it from being an issue or avoid it all together, you have to be smart and aware. I feel like if I hadn't had my previous experience, I would have slept in that Library room and who knows...

When we got home, I put all of our clothes in a bag (including the carry bag) and washed in hot water twice.

So, of course, last night (our first night home) I could not sleep at all - ended up on the couch until sunrise. Of course I go to get in the shower this morning and there's a bump on my shoulder... you know, more abuse from the universe. So, I'm a mess but I know I can't be like this every time we travel - but this one hit close to home. I will be driving home soon and will do everything in my power to keep my mind elsewhere.

As always, thank you for listening and allowing me to write and express what's happening.

94. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 14 2014 17:44:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have the same qualms about going to hotels now, and I totally understand your concern. You did get through it pretty well, and you handled the situation with the library room nicely.
    I will be traveling soon too, so thanks for reminding me how I need to proceed. Unfortunately, it is a necessary protocol we must follow to stay safe. Awareness is good and essential.

Take care now and enjoy your summer. Let us know how you're doing.

Bryanmeans wrote,

As always, thank you for listening and allowing me to write and express what's happening.

Thank you, Bryan, for your eloquent post.

95. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2014 11:12:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Checking in -

I had mentioned before how I am "constantly challenged". Whenever peace arrives, so do more ominous warning signs. I would imagine that anyone who has confirmed bb's is probably maddened by someone who stresses over them but yet has no confirmation at this time.
    I can't stop thinking about the two bronze/rust blood stains on my cover sheet and the welt on my lower back... that was on July 3rd. Then the trip to the Inn for a close call - so my nerves were shot. Then this weekend my wife has an itchy rash on her neck (little red bumps) and her eyes (and my sons eyes) are very itchy. We had a very unseasonable blast of cool weather here so I guess it's allergies... I guess. The monitor is clean, so I know, I know, that should be all I need. This would be SO much easier to let go if there weren't constant, tangible triggers popping up.

The fear is so generic that all of these things lead you do the possibility of bb's - scratches, bumps, rashes, blood... it's like being saddled with the concept of... "if you don't feel well, you might have cancer"...

David once talked about a woman spending 7,000 dollars to kill one bug - do I have just one bug that didn't find the small monitor on our king-sized bed? Can you even have one bug? I try not to read other posts since it's anxiety-inducing but I see mentions of "invisible infestations"... could I have one?

I dread that hotel stay SO much - I was free from this before then - now I am mired in it. Dammit, I am not just fearful anymore, I am also angry.

I needed to write today -thanks for hearing me.

Byanymeans.

96. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2014 11:49:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Byanymeans,

Just noticed I got your name wrong on last post--sorry. It is time for a new glasses' prescription!

Hey, I'm sorry you are worrying about this. Maybe it is allergies and the welts are mosquito bites. Have you been on the golf course at all? My husband gets bit by gnats, mosquitos, and who knows what when he wanders through some of the weeds.
    You took such good care of your belongings from your first incident. You said everything is clear on your monitor. I would think you're okay. If you need to vent, that is normal and okay too. I know how frustrating this can be! Most people on here understand and want to help. So, there are a lot of us pulling for you.

Hang in there! Maybe keep a weekly log to record anything that you find important. You have a wonderful writing style--do you ever do any journaling?

Here's hoping the best for you! You are in our prayers.

97. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 23 2014 8:32:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, so... I really need some input/help here. I have always said that I could let this go if I would stop seeing signs... and had reached a point where I did it let it go - then the blood stains and welt on my back on July 3rd. Then THIS MORNING - a LOT of blood stains on the bed. I have been sleeping on the couch as part of my anxiety (yes, causing marital strain and arguments) so only my wife was in the bed (this is all on her side). If you were to pull the top sheet back - these are all on the underside of the top sheet. Someone please help, how can I relax with this showing up?!?! I also attached a picture of the monitor which as far as I can tell is spotless.

image 1: http://postimg.org/image/64sch1f21/

image 2: http://postimg.org/image/5ssui6yar/

image 3: http://postimg.org/image/d1usicxf1/

image 4: http://postimg.org/image/fe6byo9hb/

image 5: http://postimg.org/image/bw4wfqwz9/

image 6: http://postimg.org/image/yjg5jvw55/

98. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 23 2014 9:07:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Very simple. Assume for a moment that you are actually correct and you have a bed bug infestation (which you don't, but bear with me) and those blood stains are left over from a feeding. If it feeds it poops, and fairly quickly after feeding from my observations, so fecal marks should be easy to find on your monitor. Now assume that this strain of bed bugs can read and see the monitor for what it is and decide not to go near it. They still have to poop, check all the usual spots on the mattress. No fecal matter, no bed bugs, the blood stains are from something else.

99. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Sep 4 2014 21:51:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to add that the most common bugs I see in my house are spiders, stink bugs, and elongated springtails. Looking at some images, it could be a very young stinkbug:

http://www.biologicco.com/images/blog_pics/Stink%20Bug%20Life%20Cycle.png

As opposed to:

http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/publichealth/images/bedbug/popups/lifecycle.jpg

I suppose it could also be a baby spider as i did have to wet it a bit to get it out of the sippy cup, so I could have distorted some of the legs.

This is where I need an expert... thank you.

100. Byanymeans

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Sep 4 2014 22:26:17
    #

Login to Send PM

ok, if anyone is on, I am really losing it, just found two more over by the same cabinet, one on the wall and one on a jar on the counter. They are slow and retract when tried to get them. I let one crawl on my finger and it seemed uninterested in biting. I caught one in a small container - so small that I can't get a good picture... can someone please help? Here's the picture of them on the jar under the light:

http://postimg.org/image/3nukiwq3b/

http://postimg.org/image/ac3ua6lqx/

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956