bed bugs in carpet

(7 posts)
  1. Beth

account closed

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 18 2011 16:37:24
    #

Login to Send PM

How in god's green earth do you get bed bugs out of carpet? That seems to be where they are breeding, despite vacuuming daily and frequent steaming, as my dog gets bitten daily lying on the rug which unfortunately covers every square inch of our apt. but bathroom and kitchen. It is a medium plush carpet.

We have DE along the baseboards of the entire apartment. We even took apart the radiators to place it behind the carpet there and in the crevices of the radiator cover. DE in the cracks of our mantle, cups of light DE underneath the legs of our computer chair. Our bedframe is dusted with DE in cracks and we have the bed legs in passive monitors and the legs are dusted with DE. We steam window and door frames, as well as our folding chair and floors and carpets very often with a kick butt steamer.

The bites persist. Usually a couple a day on me, and several times a day my dog is itching (if he has sustained a bite each time, I'd put his bites at 10 a day, but it's likely she is often itching the same bite). It is all waist up on me, and we just threw out our living room chairs and a pillow which had some fecal matter, so I know it's bed bugs. Our clothes are in plastic bags. Most of the bites I get are in bed, so I'm thinking they are in the frame and that will have to go as it is too difficult to disassemble. But I do get bitten at my computer as well, as does the dog and my partner. They seem to particularly like me though.

Our apartment is huge and what seems to have happened is we brought them in with infested stuff that ended up in every room as we thought it was clear and so there is a light infestation going on in the living room and bedroom, and maybe second bedroom where the cats stay; they are scattered like, which seems impossible to stop them from breeding, especially with my dog and two cats lying about all day.

We have no idea what to do, so we are considering moving with just our clothes and DDVP stripping our computer and hard drives (I don't even want to do that, that is my partner's orders) and going. So freakin' sad b/c this apartment is really nice. We may try cedarcide, but we already spray with alcohol when I don't feel like warming up the steamer, on like door hinges and window frames and stuff, and it seems no matter what we do, they hang on. We use the packtite daily. We do keep them under control, but we need them gone as it is a full time job and I am possibly going to be offered a FT job that will require heavy travel and a car, which I am terrified of infesting; it's just over then I know if they get in a car I'm in all day.

Any advice on how to get them out of the carpet??? Would a broad application of cedarcide do the trick? Or will daily vaccuming with what we are already doing eventually get them out of the carpet? We've pulled up the carpet edges and it seems the floors underneath are not sealed, and furthermore, missing segments so uncaulkable. I have DE in all of these spaces near the walls, but they are ruthless in their pursuit of blood and the DE doesn't seem to be having the deadly effect I had hoped. It helps, but is not enough. A couple of weeks ago I dusted the baseboards with DE and they came out and literally ASSAULTED my poor dog within an hour. He was covered in bites, particularly on his special place, which I felt awful about. Usually the bites don't show up on him, he just itches, but that day, they were a plenty. In any case, the baseboards is where they were hiding obviously back then. I feel we are just doomed if they got in underneath the floor.

I may be going out of town in a week and we are considering spraying poison while I am gone, but I don't think it being down just a week will take care of the problem.

What can we do, safely, with our carpets???

thanks-
    Amy

2. Beth

account closed

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 18 2011 17:05:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I think we found the problem. The wall is several centimeters, even an inch at some points, from the flooring and although the flooring is covered in DE near the baseboards, there is nothing stopping the bugs from traveling only via the wall, into the wall void, and avoiding the DE altogether. So we are strategizing about this. Clearly, caulking is in order, but we may resort to a residual just along the baseboards when I am gone and are wondering which one is best. This totally explains why hours of labor have not rid them. They are in the wall voids the little sh*ts.

Amy

3. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 19 2011 1:21:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Wish you could post some images of your apartment... the uncaulkable openings in the floor, etc.

4. scaredsilly

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 19 2011 2:05:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry you're still in the thick of this Amy. But selfishly, I'm somewhat relieved to see a familiar face since all who were online when I came aboard are now gone...
    My carpet protocol is: I steam the carpet only once a month cause it takes so stinking long and I work two jobs. I have a liquid residual that is sprayed on the carpet around the perimeter and under all furniture every 2 weeks. Then on top of that I have light DE under the furniture and around perimiter and under carpet edges. I vacuume once a week and then replace the DE. If I could do more, I would. However, this seems to have kept numbers down and I dont see many live bugs or feel them on my feet as I did before and my climb ups have had very few bugs.
    With chems, I have tried a few and none seem to work completely. One just seemed to make them hyper and bite more/harder, and the current one may work somewhat but slowly and not thoroughly. I'm curious to see if the Cedarcide works, but haven't tried it.
    Go caulking crazy as it is the only thing you haven't really tried yet. I've just bought my caulk and am getting ready to do the same.
    Also, just and FYI, I have NEVER been able to clear my bed, so I'm positive the metal frame is an issue even though I have doused it with every BB chemical known, injected it with every dust, steamed it, heat gunned it, etc. Time to toss. If you have mattress encasements, check those too as mine were defective and I was being bitten through them. (I have pictures, I can't make this stuff up.)
    Frontline helped the dog slightly, but flea powder works the best. It seems to keep the demons off. Hope this helps just a little...
    I'd hate for you to have to move again, but I sure understand. I already told my fam that if I could, I would just shower and leave the house nude, taking nothing, and never return.
    Blessings,
    SC

5. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 19 2011 2:17:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I already told my fam that if I could, I would just shower and leave the house nude, taking nothing, and never return.

That is too funny, I say the same thing! Just start walking and never come back. I am going to have so few things after all this is over with, will it matter to live in a house with no stuff??

6. Jenn28

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 19 2011 13:18:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Amy,

Are you still infested? Holy cow, that's not good. Have you tried having the carpets steam cleaned?

7. Beth

account closed

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 19 2011 14:06:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes,

I still have them.

The vikane FAILED. The most horrible thing ever.

Now I need to get a car as I just got offered a really good job that will require it and I am freaking out about infesting my car and office. I am really hoping moving with just clothes works. We may Pest strip our computer and hard drive but our computer got a virus anyway so. We will also have to bathe our pets.

We steam clean our carpets regularly with dry vapor, but have not tried a carpet cleaner. I appreciate the tip on flea powder. SO good to hear something works.

I don't know how to beat these things but one thing I know for sure---if I infest my office I am potentially out of a job as I can't tolerate pesticides, so it's now or never. Move with nothing. The last time I said that I brought my truck. Do you all suppose moving with just super laundered clothes will do the trick? My spouse and I may need to spend a month apart while I begin the job. It's going to be a difficult couple of months but I hope to god we beat them this time. Unfortunately, it is too butt cold to get vikane, and we wouldn't drive 8 hours again for it anyway.

cheerio good people-
    Amy

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,574 posts in 29,292 topics over 90 months by 12,634 of 19,879 members. Latest: JohnM, deancrca1, fluffbuggy