Bed bugs in car in winter

(22 posts)
  1. SS864

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Dec 28 2017 14:43:55
    #

Login to Send PM

So, what can I expect from these assholes in the winter? I drive my car roughly 30 minutes per day. The temperature has been roughly 10-15 degrees during the day and as low as below zero at night. Is driving with the heat on for 15 minutes or so enough to "wake up" the BBS of the temp rises above 60-70 degrees? What happens to their metabolism of my blood in an environment that is below freezing temps most of the day, just sporadically rising when I'm in the car? Would they try to hitch a ride out of the vehicle given the freezing conditions or head back to their established harborage?

2. thirdusername

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Dec 28 2017 17:27:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I think (really a guess) is they wake up, feed, look for a harbourage.

They don't like body heat but I don't know if they like cold less.

Do you have reason to think they are in your car because car infestations are apparently rare?

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  3. SS864

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Dec 28 2017 20:54:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read that car infestations are rare, but I suspect that they might be more common than realized. I wonder if some of the cases of people thinking their bed bugs are gone since they see no evidence but continue to get bites is due to car infestations. I mean, if bed bugs are willing to set up shop in subways, libraries, and movie theaters, why wouldn't they harbor in vehicles?

4. SS864

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Dec 28 2017 20:58:30
    #

Login to Send PM

In my case, I only seem to get bites when I'm in my car. I treated my car with Nuvan strips a couple times to no avail, but received no new bites when I wasn't driving it. Within minutes of driving it again after removing the Nuvan strips and airing it out I got bits again.

5. bitethebullet

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Dec 28 2017 22:37:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you seen anything other than just being bitten? Reactions can be delayed and change over time (from my own experience). Without any other evidence it’d been tough to confirm they’re in your car (I *think*). I really feel like they would prefer to not be in a vehicle in such frigid weather, and thus would search elsewhere for food. Or just die/run away once poison was introduced, but I’m not a professional.

I used a nuvan strip in my car and trunk for 7 days, vacuumed and sprayed it down with alcohol just in case but I wasn’t getting bites there. I’ve read about some people having their cars vikaned but know nothing about that.

In the mean time, maybe bag your clothes and run them through the dryer before going into your home if you can to prevent them hitching a ride from the car, if that’s what you’re worried about. I bet a packtite monitor would work to help you confirm that they’re/not there..

“I’ve got edge!”

“You’re about as edgy as a satsuma.”
  6. SS864

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 3:07:13
    #

Login to Send PM

bitethebullet - 4 hours ago  » 
    Have you seen anything other than just being bitten? Reactions can be delayed and change over time (from my own experience). Without any other evidence it’d been tough to confirm they’re in your car (I *think*). I really feel like they would prefer to not be in a vehicle in such frigid weather, and thus would search elsewhere for food. Or just die/run away once poison was introduced, but I’m not a professional.
    I used a nuvan strip in my car and trunk for 7 days, vacuumed and sprayed it down with alcohol just in case but I wasn’t getting bites there. I’ve read about some people having their cars vikaned but know nothing about that.
    In the mean time, maybe bag your clothes and run them through the dryer before going into your home if you can to prevent them hitching a ride from the car, if that’s what you’re worried about. I bet a packtite monitor would work to help you confirm that they’re/not there..

BTB, I always change and bag my clothes as soon as I set foot in my place. I have not found any live bugs in my car, but I'm pretty sure I found cast skins under the driver's seat but they crushed when I attempted to retrieve them.

I stayed at Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City a few months ago. My son had a blanket and a few stuffed animals on the bed in the hotel room, and after our stay these items remained in the back seat of my car for about a week. When the bites showed up after our stay, I inspected my luggage and found 2 dead bed bugs in the bag I had sealed our dirty clothes in. The last time my son rode in my vehicle he received bites in places that corresponded with where the seat belt was on his torso. All of my recent bites are on my lower back, sides of my abdomen, or on the back of my neck. Since I sleep with my shirt tucked in recently I have to assume I am receiving the bites in my car.

7. SS864

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 3:10:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I also have found no recent fecal stains on my sheets, and have found no live bugs or cast skins on my bed. My car has jet black seats so spotting fecal stains is unlikely, and it is a very small car so my attempts at a thorough inspection have me contorting myself into very uncomfortable positions.

8. bitethebullet

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 10:15:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I think in your case placing a packtite monitor would be really smart. It’s basically a perfect harborage for them and I’ll bet you’ll know pretty quickly if they’re there.

9. SS864

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Jan 1 2018 0:07:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou?? Can you shed some light on the behavior of these buggers in winter conditions in a vehicle?

10. SS864

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Jan 2 2018 16:01:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I ordered a couple Packtite monitors, but where would I even place them in a car?? Under the drivers seat?

11. thirdusername

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Jan 2 2018 21:17:29
    #

Login to Send PM

SS864 - 5 hours ago  » 
    I ordered a couple Packtite monitors, but where would I even place them in a car?? Under the drivers seat?

I think there are lots of videos on YouTube of where to put them.

12. SS864

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Jan 3 2018 0:27:45
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 3 hours ago  » 

SS864 - 5 hours ago  » 

I think there are lots of videos on YouTube of where to put them.

Thanks Third, I'll check YouTube. I appreciate all the help and advice you provide on this forum!

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Jan 3 2018 13:04:33
    #

Login to Send PM

The skin reactions might really not be from bed bugs. Just put a nylon pouch over the air vents and see what gets captured. You might have to get nylons/panties from a friend or buy them and then tape down over vents.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  14. SS864

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Jan 3 2018 13:10:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much Lou!!!

15. jacksonsi

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Jan 3 2018 16:59:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou, why the vents ? What about carpet and seats ?

16. SS864

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 15:21:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump.

17. rae75

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 16:18:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Im in the same boat, if they are in our car I have no idea how to get them out. Our pest control service is going to steam treat the car and spray the chemical they have in it, which i read is a pretty good measure to take. I think it would probably to smart to change our clothes and shower after any semi-long car rides now that you mention it, but I still have doubts about them being in there.

18. SS864

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Jan 7 2018 1:54:46
    #

Login to Send PM

It's supposed to warm up to the high 30's\low 40's later this week. If I had to guess as a completely inexperienced individual I would assume any bed bugs would likely be under the front seats. I think I am going to remove the front seats and see what I can find. Even if I don't find a bed bug harborage, it should be easier to complete a thorough steam cleaning with the seats out!

19. SS864

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Jan 10 2018 17:53:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel so defeated. Took the seats out of my car, searched as thoroughly as I could without removing all of the plastic panels and found nothing. I would try to convince myself that all the little red spots and itching were a product of my anxiety, but I recently let my son ride in my vehicle again and he got more itchy red bumps on his stomach. He hasn't been in my apartment in a couple months, and has been mark free. Rides in my vehicle, itchy red spots again. He rode in my vehicle with no problems whatsoever before our trip to Great Wolf Lodge and finding the dead bed bugs in my dirty laundry bag. I literally think I'm gonna go crazy, lol.

20. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Jan 10 2018 18:07:27
    #

Login to Send PM

jacksonsi - 1 week ago  » 

Trying to rule out bed bugs and the way through which air enters (other than windows) is via the heating/cooling vents. Cars have cab filters but you have to change them since they filter out dusts and particulate matter. You can replace these, but using the nylon bag technique lets you see what might be coming out of the vents and going into your cab.

21. SS864

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 18:04:19
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 23 hours ago  » 

jacksonsi - 1 week ago  » 

Trying to rule out bed bugs and the way through which air enters (other than windows) is via the heating/cooling vents. Cars have cab filters but you have to change them since they filter out dusts and particulate matter. You can replace these, but using the nylon bag technique lets you see what might be coming out of the vents and going into your cab.

Thanks Lou, I'll buy some nylons and see if anything comes out of the vents. I'm willing to try anything to figure out what is causing the marks on my son and I.

22. SS864

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 18:10:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I actually searched his clothing and coat after discovering the marks on his stomach and found a couple blood spots on his coat along the seam by the zipper. He's 5 years old so he could get blood on his coat pretty easily since he gets scrapes and bruises pretty regularly.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

269,371 posts in 43,830 topics over 132 months by 19,193 of 19,806 members. Latest: cucucajube, Mitchell3845, BeasleyCMS