Bed Bugs in Books!

(16 posts)
  1. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 21:28:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm definitely going electronic library,...

i think i'm also going to have fully electronic/digital law office filing system....I'm gonna get rid of paper as much as i can.

This is not a current article..2009 i think...but interesting and shows the disregard that people show...not caring about their neighbors...it's sickening really...
    i wonder what ever happened to that guy...the nerve...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/21095953/detail.html

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 21:40:04
    #

Login to Send PM

i just reread that piece and i see that the guy was a MINISTER!! Oh...brother...

and then i read another on line article that said:

"Goffeney refuses to pay the $18,000 for the fumigation and replacement books, and he is considering suing the library for the right to take books out again. Thanks to Slog Tipper Davida for the news."
    http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2009/10/01/bedbugs-are-the-new-bookworms

3. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 21:43:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's another and different point of view (but if somebody stands him up and blindfolds him, i shoot him)..

http://sfbedbugs.com/2010/05/10/examination-of-bed-bug-ethics-in-lieu-of-the-denver-public-library-debacle/

4. kirads09

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 1 2010 7:01:56
    #

Login to Send PM

The truly sad thing is that Denver has a fantastic library system. Since this happened I have not stepped foot in there or checked out a book. I used to use the library all the time. I personally chucked all my books (didn't have a lot anyway). Once I pass a 6 month period with no bb scare, I am going to treat myself to a Kindle and begin rebuilding an electronic library.

5. ladywithkids

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 5:32:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah I'm throwing away my books. I haven't opened them in years anyway.

6. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 13:21:04
    #

Login to Send PM

For what it's worth, my scare with bed bugs has not put me off using libraries at all.

And I use libraries a lot as I teach at a local university in my area.

When I first got bed bugs, I saw the potential for bed bugs everywhere--upholstered seats on public transit, my suitcase next to other suitcases in the hold of a plane, books and papers turned in by students! Aaaargh!

Over time, though, once I got over the initial trauma of the first bed bug infestation, I was able to more rationally analyze the actual risk.

Now, granted, I live in California, so it's possible that I have slightly more advanced skills at this. After all, we live with wildfires, earthquakes, tsunamis, and mudslides. And I fly a lot and have for about as long as I can remember. No, really. I don't remember my first airplane ride because I was under 6 months old at the time. I've flown over 25,000 miles a year for at least 5 years consecutively now. Since my family lives on the east coast and I live on the west coast, the first time I flew post 9/11 was October 2001.

I made peace a long time ago with the fact that if you think about things too much every activity is potentially dangerous.

I could die in a massive earthquake if a 6.something hits while I'm typing this message up. It's entirely possible.

But it's not very likely.

If you're talking stats? I'm far more likely to die in a car accident driving the 5 miles to school.

Could I get bed bugs again?

Absolutely.

Am I likely to get bed bugs from a library book? Absolutely not.

And if I start getting overly anxious, I remind myself about the thousands of library books that I've checked out from various libraries over my lifetime without ever getting infested that way.

It helps that I can narrow the source of my infestation down to one or two hotels I stayed at for work.

But even so, I know that bed bugs may be a problem on my campus as I've seen bed bug flyers in students' folders when they came by my office.

I don't treat them like Typhoid Mary when they come into my office.

I do have them turn papers in electronically, but I still loan them books if our library doesn't have the ones they need, and I still check out books from my library and interlibrary loan when I need books.

Because while it's possible that I might get reinfested that way, I figure it's pretty darned unlikely statistically speaking.

I know it can be hard to do that kind of assessment while you're in the middle of a battle, but I think it's important to remind people in the throes of the worst part that while life won't return to the same normal once your infestation is gone? It can certainly get a lot better than it is right now.

I do inspect hotel rooms. I bought a Packtite to be able to bake books or student papers or luggage post trip. (Truthfully, I haven't used the Packtite yet.) So my life has changed.

But with just under two years of being bed bug free, I don't freak out every time I think about a possible new vector for exposure any more. And once you're bed bug free, you'll be able to assess what you are and aren't comfortable with as risks and get back to your own version of the new normal.

That new normal doesn't have to involve never leaving your home and never bringing new items in unless you want it to.

7. Jacksfullofaces

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 13:43:10
    #

Login to Send PM

That new normal doesn't have to involve never leaving your home and never bringing new items in unless you want it to.

Buggy
    We are still in the middle of an infestation but I couldn't agree more with your words. They might make us more careful but they won't rule our lives
    Jacks

8. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 14:03:01
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you...oh thank you....you provided a fresh breeze.......but i note that you do acknowledge that:

" . . .life won't return to the same normal once your infestation is gone?[sic]"

AAArrrrghhhh!!!

And, i have been reconsidering whether i need to get rid of the rest of my books...Just before the bbs, i had already purged all my true crime including my favorite serial killer biographies....and i don't have many books left - maybe 70? ...I did also purge my law book collection because many are outdated and there are really only about 10 law books that i need to keep --mostly books containing forms of documents that are very handy to have to crank out a document i've never done before. The other books serve sort of decoration to confirm, yep...she's a lawyer....i don't need that. See the law licenses hanging on the wall? That's enough decoration...so i will further weed out the law stuff...everything left will get packtited, including the licenses, etc.

I love my packtite...will start the books this afternoon.

Thanks for being the voice of reason...

but i admit that when i was in court today, i did not lean up on the wall of the elevator and i looked around carefull where i was seated and was suspecting that everyone carried the monsters.

I was glad to get out of there and of course i bagged everything, including shoes immediately upon entering home.

(sigh)

9. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 15:19:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I think one of the more annoying things about this case is that the Library actually DESTROYED rare books... couldn't they have been baked, Packtited, etc. and saved thousands of dollars trying to replace these books? GRRRRR.....

10. Eve

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 18:29:06
    #

Login to Send PM

freakedoutandbroke - 2 hours ago  » 
    I think one of the more annoying things about this case is that the Library actually DESTROYED rare books... couldn't they have been baked, Packtited, etc. and saved thousands of dollars trying to replace these books? GRRRRR.....

I so agree. Manuscripts have gone through much worse than a PackTite on their way through the ages to us. There was no reason to destroy them if they were indeed rare and valuable.

The library issue hits close to home for me because I believe that I likely got my infestation from a library book.

Also there is currently a big controversy in my local library (where I spend several hours a week studying) as to how to reconcile its use as a research and study facility versus a place for people with no where else to go to hang out. If one expands one's definition of "bed" to any place where a person would consistently become still and/or unconscious for periods of time, then the library is almost like a hotel some days. If I ever get a PackTite I will be routinely using it to sterilize library books and my book bag coming and going.

Of course, I would be happy to tolerate the sleepers if the noisy people would just go away.

Eve

11. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 18:55:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Every library should have several PackTites and books should automatically be deposited in the PTs and baked before being returned to the shelves..

In my next life, i'm going to be a PT marketing person!

12. need 2 sleep

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 20:57:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all, thanks for bringing up the library thing. I KNOW that my bbs got to my home from my kids school. I especially suspect the library. They hang out there on their free periods with their backpacks on the carpeted floors and their jackets over the wooden chairs (or knowing them maybe the floor too). The other day my youngest had a bb baby crawling on his arm at the library and the librarian saw it. My boys have gotten well versed on bbs.

I'm a newbie at this bb thing so this forum is very helpful. I just found out what a PackTite is and I'm thinking of maybe getting one.

13. bushbugg

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 22:04:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had my books half my life, many of them are dear to me and I do not intend to part with them. Will update about my packtite.

That said, theres books and then theres books. I felt sad to throw out a small 'all works of shakespeare' hardbound book, but how often do I read them/ how easily could I get it back?
    not much and very easily. Sorry bill, recycled.

14. eaten_alive

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 23:12:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been very wary with library materials-- I inspect CDs and DVDs from the library, and if I pick up books I pack them in plastic bags and read them on a clean table (so I can see if any those buggers come out) and pack them away in plastic bags to return again.

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 8 2010 7:24:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a case yesterday where the oldest sign in the property was a rare book published in the 1800's. The infestation had come in on them during a library renovation and had spread through to the property from there. I explained to the occupant that it could be treated but they decided they did not want it back so I decontaminated one using our overnight process and put the second one into the PackTite for a quick cook.

No signs of life in them today so I know own two books, one published 1811 and the other 1870.

If anyone known of a library destroying books because of bed bugs please let us know as we would rather decontaminate at cost than see such treasures get lost unnecessarily.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  16. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jul 11 2010 18:46:38
    #

Login to Send PM

... to add to what David says, maybe these books that would otherwise be destroyed could be decontaminated and then sold on Ebay to pay for some treatments for the entire library!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.