Bed Bugs? Chiggers? Lawn Fleas?

(4 posts)
  1. porkins99

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 12:46:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! I was hoping somebody might have a similar experience and be able to point us in the right direction here.

Myself, the wife, and 2 boys (4 and 6) went to a cabin in the woods in Oklahoma over a week ago for 2 nights, Friday and Saturday night. The rental company left a sign on the counter saying "Before you complain about bed bugs, this is Chigger season, and here is what they are like if they bite you..." We didn't have any issues there at the cabin. Spent some time outside, in the woods, in the lake, in the hot tub, etc. Left on Sunday morning.

Thursday (4 days later), after work, I go outside and hang a squirrel feeder on the fence post. My wife and 4 year old come out with us. Our mosquitoes have been really bad this year in Texas. Lots of rain and humidity. They even found West Nile in samples around our area. So I can feel myself getting bit up BAD. I'm wearing shorts and sandals. The 4 year old is barefoot. We are in a grassy area where we have several bird feeders on hooks.Later that evening, I find I have several red spots. They are hard and raised. Usually the mosquito bites I get here are puffy and go away in under an hour. These were much like mosquito bites I used to get on the East Coast. So I figured they were mosquitoes. The 4 year old also had a couple bites, but on his upper chest. We didn't look him over very closely.

2 days later, on Saturday, we are outside a lot. I am outside walking the entire yard spraying it down with insecticide. We are all out front washing the car. The wife and kids are in the backyard playing in the kiddie pool. Later that evening, I notice I have more bites, and now I even have them around the crotch, on the waistline area. The 4 year old now has bites on his scrotum, inner things, and armpits. The wife also notices she has some random bites here and there in clothing-covered areas.

It has been 5 days since then, and we have no new bites. 7 days since I first noticed bites on myself Thursday evening, and 11 days since we were at the cabin.

We are stumped. I am worried about it being bed bugs. BUT, we had no bites while at that cabin, no bites at home for 4 days. And we all got bit at the same time. My bedroom is on the 1st floor, and the 4 year old's is on the second floor, and at the other end of the house. So to me, that seems unlikely that we could all get so many bites at the same time, but sleeping in completely different places.

All luggage from the trip was unpacked in the master bedroom. All clothes, pillow cases, etc were washed right after. The luggage was then put back into storage in an upstairs closet in an unused bedroom on the other side of the house from the 4-year old.

I suppose it could be possible that if we picked up a bunch of them, some may have gotten into his pillow during the trip home. Nobody has any bites on their face or neck. AND everything I read said bed bugs do not normally get under clothing. The little one has bites on his scrotum and inner thing, and he wears briefs to bed with long-pants and t-shirt. But no bites on his feet, legs or arms, which are the only exposed areas.

If it were bed bugs, wouldn't we have the bites in the morning? I have read that some people may show the bites a few hours later, or not at all. Seems like the timing is odd that we only saw signs of bites in the evening, and only on the days we had been outside in the yard. I also think it odd that my son and I both showed bites on the same evening (after being out in the grass, feeling myself get bit up/swarmed by "mosquitoes"), and in the same places (groin, waistline, armpits also on him). Could it be possible to bring home bed bugs from someplace, and then have people in 2 different parts of the house (different end and different floors) bit and show signs at the same exact time? And then no more for almost a week after?

I have to think mosquitoes, but how did my son and I get bit inside our pants+underwear?

We live in Fort Worth, anybody know of any bugs around this area that might do this? Maybe something new or a new breed of mosquito? I had one person say it sounds exactly like Lawn Fleas.

I have been looking over mattresses and our white sheets and have seen nothing. I know that is not conclusive. I put bed bug traps under the feet of our beds last night. They are clean this morning.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 1:01:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Rescued from the spam filter.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. porkins99

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 19:02:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone?

4. nomorebuggs

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 23:31:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Bites showing up later is a very real thing, but for three of you four to *all* have a reaction 4 days later exactly seems unusual. While it's possible that BBs were disbursed when you unpacked, that sounds like a lot of bites all at once. And, yes, generally they target exposed skin, but can go under clothing. They'd be hard pressed to get under snug, elastic-banded underoos though, I would think. This sounds more like a contact reaction in my non-expert opinion. Possibly plant based, which could explain reactions under layers of clothes since it spreads via touch.

I'm not a professional by any means at all, but this doesnt quite seem right for BBs to me. Of course, I understand how you're feeling, though. Unfortunately, skin reactions cannot do much to confirm anything. You may consider placing passive monitors on your bedframes or box springs in addition to the under bed trap for an additional monitoring layer. Even if it's not BBs - which I hope it's not - monitoring is alway a good idea!

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335