Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Bed bugs become a new target of the wonder drug ivermectin

(4 posts)
  1. Innocence Stolen

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Apr 20 2017 14:48:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wondering if anyone else has heard/read about this. While not a fan of medications at all, in desperation, I might make an exception for this. Still in trials though. Hope they keep up the research.

Ivermectin, the antiparasitic drug, for which discovery the 2015 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine was awarded, is presently under development to become an additional component of an Integrated Pest Management framework to treat bed bug infestations. Read more here:

https://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bugbitten/2016/09/13/bed-bugs-become-new-target-wonder-drug-ivermectin/

As a side note, my son and I were just recently discussing the possibility of making a small 'fake human' to put in your bed at night, complete with blood 'veins' filled with blood that is tainted so that when the bugs feed, they'd die. We were trying to think of something that would kill the bugs after feeding. We thought of a CO2 attractant that could be 'expelled' out of the 'fake human' to get them to it and then let the tainted blood do it's work. Then we saw the above article.

2. Livingagain

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Apr 20 2017 19:43:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting. One part of the puzzle potentially.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Apr 20 2017 19:47:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes-- we've discussed this before. These are just the threads tagged "ivermectin"-- you may find more untagged threads via the search box.

For anyone who hasn't read up on this, it's not yet approved for use on humans in treating bed bugs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Apr 21 2017 13:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Please read up on the side effects to better understand why if this mode of action is to be used it needs a better designed pharmaceutical compound to be viable.

I have previously advised people to discuss Ivermectin with their medical professionals because of rare and highly unusual ectoparasites (hexapods most notably) which required the GP to research the related medical papers and create a personalized healthcare plan for the patient. It was not something any party rushed into and yet it was the solution to an issue that had been incorrectly diagnosed for two years.

While I can support it in other therapies the long term nature of some bed bug issues makes this a less than sensible solution given the cautions against repeat prescriptions.

I know bed bugs can be distressing but there is no point ruining your health over them.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,518 posts in 43,261 topics over 130 months by 18,974 of 19,552 members. Latest: Buggered23, randomuser77, Bug Phobia