Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Bed bugs and sending kids to school

(4 posts)
  1. bitingmybabes

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 30 2011 12:14:40
    #

Login to Send PM

We have found them in our beds after a weekend at a hotel. Boo! Our PCO isn't coming until the end of the week. Can I send my kid to preschool before our house is treated? And should I tell the school that we have bed bugs?

2. scaredpea

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 30 2011 13:53:26
    #

Login to Send PM

hey,

as a fellow mama of a pre-schooler who had a emotional roller coaster of a bed-bugs scare, here's my advice.

send your kid to school, it'll be good for both of you and give you time to deal with this all. What I did was run my son's clothes and shoes and back pack through the dryer each morning for 30 minutes and then got him dressed and walked out the door. so he didn't bring anything with him to school. then when he gets home take his shoes and bag them as you walk in the door so you don't have to dry them each day.

if he's showing obvious bites perhaps talk to the teacher about it, but if he's not showing obvious bites I wouldn't worry the school as long as you're taking precautions.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 30 2011 16:59:47
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredpea - 3 hours ago  » 

send your kid to school, it'll be good for both of you and give you time to deal with this all. What I did was run my son's clothes and shoes and back pack through the dryer each morning for 30 minutes and then got him dressed and walked out the door. so he didn't bring anything with him to school. then when he gets home take his shoes and bag them as you walk in the door so you don't have to dry them each day.

If you do not have a dryer at home, or want to do the drying in batches, you can simply take clean clothing which was dried on hot, seal it in an airtight bag like an XL Ziploc, and make a point of having your child wear clean clothing from this bag to school each day. At home, s/he can wear clothing s/he's had on at home before.

The Travel FAQs contain an article on how not to spread bed bugs, which should help.

Note that disclosing your bed bug problem at school may lead to problems -- news articles have covered schools which took extreme and probably unnecessary actions, even some which have banned children from school for a time.

Keep in mind that even if your child did not bring bed bugs to school, your family would likely be blamed for any bed bug problems at school or possibly even in other families' homes -- even though other families are likely to have their own active bed bug infestations right now, whether they know it or not. (And when they are aware of a problem, I fear most people probably don't take precautions to avoid spreading them.)

Taking your own careful precautions to avoid spreading bed bugs would be my suggestion.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bitingmybabes

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 30 2011 20:36:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reassurance. Our PCO actually told me I could send her to school, but this whole thing is really going to my head. I will of course take extreme precautions, we are lucky to have a dryer so I'll be able to heat her clothes before school. She really wants to go to school and I hate to think of keeping her home with me while I pull my hair out worrying over this.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,183 posts in 29,410 topics over 90 months by 12,684 of 19,943 members. Latest: andersoncruz, glinsar, WhoCares2014