Bed bugs and hand shaking.

(32 posts)
  1. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2007 13:54:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I do not like to shake hands anymore. Does anyone feel the same way?
    Bed bugs, scabies etc... I would rather meet with eyes. Where and when did hand shaking start anyway?

2. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2007 13:57:16
    #

Login to Send PM

As long as my PCO doesn't get the bed bugs I feel ok shaking hands and hugging people. All of my clothes are washed and in plastic and my shoes are kept in plastic and bins. I also shower before leaving the house.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2007 16:13:41
    #

Login to Send PM

It used to be common for people in the UK to have a dresser in the hall of porch of the house. A place to put walking sticks for some, umbrellas for others. Most of them also had a little shelf, usually with a mirror above it. The shelf was originally for clothes brushes so you could brush down anything that got brought into the house.

There is also an interesting anecdote about not putting outside coats on the bed which I know was connected with bed bugs in the 1940's.

On a personal level I shake hands a lot but am less inclined to sit down anywhere until I have had a good luck.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  4. Ru

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2007 16:32:15
    #

Login to Send PM

This is very interesting. If you can get bedbugs by shaking hands then you can certainly get them from standing nearby your co-workers at work. I would not be surprized if that's how i got them if indeed that's what i have. I am not particularly religious but this type of thing can make you wonder about end days plague and pestilence. With so many other things "going wrong" in the world.

5. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2007 16:33:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hand shaking can and should (and I predict will) become a thing of the past. I prefer the Eastern semi-bowing.
    Namaste as our new global greeting anyone?
    Thanks Dan good post to cause me much thought:

Examples:
    Overcrowding, and then there is even increased, " new and improved" diseases; the black plague ... Wars, Hernado Cortes, not to mention, over crowing world wide, diseases that have been springing up for untold eons, because of intimate body contact, STD’s. then there are Famines and oh … so much more:

(Also, David, it is” Bad luck” to bring shoes inside or to ever put them on the bed in many cultures.)

Thanks Dan and David

This was so important I even edited and spared you all a two-page rant. If you do not know about my examples: as they say, there is more than one way to Google it!

Ru... at this time that's highly improbable but in a few years it may be more common. I hope not!

6. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2007 16:44:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I though that this may be entertaining.

7. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2007 16:51:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Ru, I don't think we get bed bugs by shaking hands with someone. Lt. Dan is not being entirely serious. Please don't be alarmed.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2007 17:25:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I suspect we will see a resurgence in pogo sticks as a method of personal travel before we see the loss of a good old fashioned hand shake.

Its been custom to shake on a deal for too long for it to pass into history that quickly.

David

9. Ru

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2007 18:37:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I think i will adopt a habit of a curtsey or Asian bow until the next crisis hits.

10. Ru

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2007 18:41:07
    #

Login to Send PM

PS. i salute you, Lt Dan !

11. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2007 23:15:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't get the humor in this thread at all. I know you are all trying to be helpful but I think you may end up scaring people off.

12. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2007 23:26:58
    #

Login to Send PM

My post was not meant to be humorous at all. And bed bugs are scary. If the people go ... they usually will come back, I hope, and I think we all hope that too.

13. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2007 11:35:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Beatrice,
    Do not intend to scare people off. For us warriors who have been at war for some time now and helping new people by our support over and over we may need a little strange humor from time to time. This may seem a bit odd to you but after many months or years of being at war you will understand. We need help too. Be patient with us.
    But truth be told since my infestation I have a different view on hand shaking. Once you see images of scabies and other horrible organisms you start to see the world differently. This is another effect that a bed bug infestation can cause. Posting this in the way I did has much meaning. Understand?

14. Bugalina

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2007 11:47:45
    #

Login to Send PM

ltdan...Willow and Beatrice.....Sometimes I am hesitant to really say how bed bugs have changed my life. I definitely do see the world in a different light. I am going into a house today with a person who wants to take measurements. Before bed bugs I wouldn't think twice about this. Now, because the house is very cluttered, and pretty dirty, I am going to soak the lower part of my legs in lavendar oil, and before entering the house I will spray my lower legs and my shoes with DEET......Prior to bed bugs I wouldn't have been caught using deet....Not now.....I want to repel any little insect from even thinking about crawling up my legs. I was one of the lucky ones whose husband found a hungry, energetic adult bed bug, in the middle of the afternoon, scampering up my shirt looking for a meal and a hitchhike out.........So I have changed my ways. I too have become more cognizant of the hand shaking thing. I absolutely LOVED Willow's idea of bringing back the Asian Bow. It makes so much sense. Forget that stupid double cheek kissing for all of us who used to think the French had it all. The respectful Bow is very sanitary and well, respectful.
    I think all of us here should start to do it and see the reactions we get. Stop that stupid "have a nice day "crap...and give a silent Bow. Back to bed bugs. They have altered the course of my life. I don't care if people think I am wrong about this. Almost every nite that I get into my wonderful bed, I think back on those days when my bed became HELL. I am forever grateful to everything and everyone who helped me rid myself of the monsters. ITs this memory that keeps me here to help others, even if I mess up at times and occasionally piss someone off. I need to help others and I am so grateful for those who remain long after they are free, in order to help others.

15. wantmyskinback

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 27 2007 11:54:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Seconded

16. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 28 2007 15:49:48
    #

Login to Send PM

You can't even "tip your hat" now to someone should there be bedbugs on your hat. There are churches that even stopped the Kiss of Peace at Communion when the SARS virus was going around. Many bedbug sufferers could relate.

What we're doing to avoid getting bedbugs is nothing compared to what will happen if the birdflu spreads to humans in a pandemic. (Not to lesson our fight against bedbugs, but I'm afraid that since bedbugs aren't known to spread disease, we will lose out on money from small municipal budgets already strained by Triple E and West Nile virus from mosquitos, which have caused deaths in my state every year--and if an epidemic such as bird-flu came along, bedbugs would be the last thing governments would think of. We are the step-children of already strained budgets.)

17. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 28 2007 23:10:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Gung HO! Bugalina!
    You are helping so many--it's like a new calling and such a great one. unforutanltey, as I edited my bit above, I accidentally dropped off and deleted one of the main sentences .... Can't recall what it was now--but yes Bugalina
    Namaste (I bow) Namaste to all!

18. ofallthebeds

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2007 3:54:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Namaste and two kisses to all! Ok... I stopped hand shaking, cheek kissing, sitting, visiting... anything involving greetings for a few weeks. I have fallen off that wagon because when you hang out with Europeans... I am sorry... you are just going to get kissed and hugged. NOW, I only do this with people I know. I am still a bit hesitant to greet people I do not know at all in this manner. SOmething curious happened to me the other day I was hanging out at Union Square in San Francisco listening to some live music on a nice sunny day. A homeless man approached my friend and I and extended his hand to her and I to great us. Part of me just did not want to touch him at all because I got these horrific images of bed bugs all over him... but the part of me that has always thought it rude to completely ignore the homeless as if they do not even exist shook his hand. After doing that and wondering... why oh why did he have to shake my hand!?!?! I had to leave and run for the nearest bathroom to wash my hands... Macy's has antibacterial all over the store for patrons to use.... I used a load of that and washed my hands... I felt so horrible... but I then decided that I am just doing what I need to do so I don't get these bugs back. I am still too fresh into my recoup stage. This coming Monday will be week 6 of no bites. I travelled for work the other day and I did all the checks as soon as i walked in... I am back and still ok. I will be leaving the country this coming Friday... and I hope not to have to shake anyones hand! I wish there was a wayto spray me down with chemicals as I get off that 15 hour flight!!! Namaste to all... if I don't get a chance to check in while I am gone... then I will "see" you all when I get back at the end of August.

Humour sometimes is the best medicine... otherwise we just go NUTS!

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2007 10:00:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I travel, I stay in hotels, I go to movies in theaters.

Am I conscious of the signs? Yes. Do I check hotel beds and rooms? Yes. But I feel strongly that we need to LIVE. And you know what? It's been going fine.

It's natural to feel you will be picking up bed bugs everywhere. I think we all have this fear after learning about bed bugs. But everyone and every place is not infested with bed bugs. I would not want to live in a world where I could not hug friends, sit in a restaurant, or go on vacation.

I also think it's important to note that when most Bedbuggers encounter bed bugs, it takes ages to work out the problem--making treatment harder. Some get a bad PCO or themselves use treatments that make their problem harder to treat (like foggers).

But if you KNOW the signs of bed bugs--as you now do--you have a great chance of realizing they're there quickly, and fighting them quickly. So as much as you hope to never see them again, if you did, it would not be as much of a crisis as the first time.

I doubt that anyone here got bed bugs by shaking hands. The bed bug would have to walk from their clothing to yours, and it's unlikely you even make contact with their clothing during the shake.

Beatrice is on to something when she mentions scaring people off. Newcomers often get frightened by what they read here. And there is plenty to worry about, but in the normal course of business or social interaction, you really are not going to get bed bugs by shaking hands.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  20. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2007 10:34:04
    #

Login to Send PM

right. and in my area--people with bed bug intentionally bump into others as they pass by--so it all depends upon where you are and how angry the crowd is. it is all relative.

nobugs is right in saying this:
    As for me??? I'm prepared--I'd get rid of them easier, heck now--I'd even be able to get a PCO in! Before ... it was NOT an option.
    Oh how I wished it had been.
    Hugs, bows--even kisses ....
    But no intentional bumps for me!

21. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 9:49:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Willow,
    I hope that if you now have bed bugs, you WILL get a PCO in. Nomo is correct that they can do a lot for you, more safely, more efficiently, than you can.

They will not be able to keep them away forever if your neighbors have them and won't be treated, but they can do a lot.

We know you held your bed bugs at bay for a long time, but i believe there are more efficient ways that allow you to enjoy life more.

22. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 11:14:35
    #

Login to Send PM

not here in this building. Now ... if the manager and her boyfried both quit or both got fired ... that would be ENJOYABLE". then--I would be MUCH more likely to get the PCO. AnD AS YOU SAY ... AND KNOW: I agree with all what you say REGARDING THIS MISERABLE ISSUE.
    FYI all I'm tempted to say "it's not that bad" yet I well recall many times over advising folds not to say that.
    OK--it's not htat bad YET.

I'm hoping the tent I bought, will be a great tool. To bad you never got a response NOBUGS. HFor had you, I might have tried to "jip" you out of the free sample and test it out.lol.

Willow

23. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 11:21:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I have requested another sample, as I have someone I know who could test it. Now our site is much bigger, they may consider it again.

I should be clear that I did get a response as per information--and I blogged about the tent today, since so many missed the previous mention.

When it's not that bad yet is the best time to treat. You won't need to be so aggressive. Did you keep the DE in use all this time or did you take a break?

24. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 11:36:46
    #

Login to Send PM

For me the hardest part of having bed bugs is fear of spreading them. I already have on person that I know got them from my house.

I was thinking this morning that I could deal with the isolated bed and the clothes in bags but not the constant fear that I am going to spread them. I get invited over someone's house about once a week anymore and it's hard to decline seeing new babies, new homes and going to wedding showers etc

25. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 11:47:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, chances are that you will not get bed bugs from a hand shake unless one happens to crawl down from that persons sweater onto yours but just do a search on something like scabies and you will see that you can aquire other problems from touching another humans hands. I have witnessed on too many occasions people not washing their hands before walking out of the restroom at work. Personally I do not understand that thought process or lack of and I do not appreciate it, it is impolite not to wash.
    I agree that we need to live but to aquire something like bed bugs or scabies etc.. and going through all of that I do not call living.
    We must adapt to changing times and practice certain tactics.

As far as new people being frightened. I can't help if a new person is frightened I was new to this at one time and I read all kinds of comments on this site. I was never frightened enough not to appreaciate everyones comments, I could always read in between the lines. In fact the humor and controversy may of helped save my sanity.

26. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 12:11:43
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks dan check your pm's.

27. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 14:46:59
    #

Login to Send PM

willow, how do you check pm's? I do not see anything.

28. Bugalina

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 22:28:52
    #

Login to Send PM

ltdan..I have pmed you...now I know why u never answered....go onto the PM's blue link ...and check your messages...Deb

29. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 17:23:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Fear of scabies is no reason to stop shaking hands. If you are worried, frequent hand washing can prevent that and other problems like the flu.

The site was begun to share good solid information about bed bugs. Sometimes fear is healthy-- such as fear of getting bed bugs from furniture found on street corners, or fear of what will happen if you try to self treat and don't know what you're doing.

Other times, fear drives people from the site. And nobody can get support and help and good information if they are scared away. I know because I have had emails and PMs complaining about this. Let's try to keep things on an even keel.

30. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 3 2007 12:38:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I was not trying to put fear into anyone. I did not flee when the World Trade Center came tumbling down and I will not run from bed bugs. Some people are afraid to step on a crack or walk under a ladder. My posts are legitimate and nor you nobugsonme or I can help it if an individual is scared and PMs you. I have been a member for some time now and prior to me joining I read this site for months. I read all kinds of stuff on this site.
    Did I ever PM you that I was scared by what had been posted? NO. Or ever PM you with complaints. NO.
    I am a bedbugger and my hand shaking post is a legitimate post to my feelings and obviously it is what I am going through on my road to recovery. My emotions too are as legitimate and as important as the "scared individuals" I assume that we are all adults, one always has the option to stop reading that post if they choose to. I have at times.
    We must not value a new person any more or less then a person who has been at war for a longer time. We need help too. Who will support us?
    Lets toughen up.

31. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 3 2007 21:03:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Dan,
    I don't think you're being fair here.

You said:

"I was not trying to put fear into anyone. I did not flee when the World Trade Center came tumbling down and I will not run from bed bugs. Some people are afraid to step on a crack or walk under a ladder. My posts are legitimate and nor you nobugsonme or I can help it if an individual is scared and PMs you. I have been a member for some time now and prior to me joining I read this site for months. I read all kinds of stuff on this site.
    Did I ever PM you that I was scared by what had been posted? NO. Or ever PM you with complaints. NO."

---

Dan, I feel like you are reacting to my posts as if they are attacking you. If you read back in that thread, you will see I was responding to what Beatrice said, when she expressed that this might scare off newcomers.

At no time did I say you should not have posted what you posted about hands, or that you should not express your fears, or that you were trying to instill fear in others.

---
    you said:

"I am a bedbugger and my hand shaking post is a legitimate post to my feelings and obviously it is what I am going through on my road to recovery. My emotions too are as legitimate and as important as the "scared individuals" I assume that we are all adults, one always has the option to stop reading that post if they choose to. I have at times.
    We must not value a new person any more or less then a person who has been at war for a longer time. We need help too. Who will support us?
    Lets toughen up."

----------

Dan, what "sacred individuals"?

I hope that I have always been supportive of everyone on Bedbugger forums. That does not mean I have to agree with everything everyone else writes.

I was one of a minority who suggested you do not need to fear hand shaking above. Just as you, Dan, have a right to express your fear, don't I have a right to say I don't think it's something to be afraid of, as a way of spreading bed bugs?

Where exactly did I say that you should not state your opinions?

I also NEVER said that people were complaining about your post, Dan, but people do freak out at some of the things that get posted on the forums. It was a general statement, and I have said it before. Please do not take everything I write as an attack on you.

On the other hand, I don't want newbites to come along and think, "Oh my, I am going to get bed bugs by shaking hands!"

It's extreme. We all have irrational fears sometimes, but we need our friends to point out that they're mostly irrational.

It's okay to express your fear of hand shaking, Dan. But it's also okay for me to say it's not something people need to fear.

32. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 6 2007 11:08:42
    #

Login to Send PM

nobugsonme not attacking but maybe reprimanding me. But it is all OK.

I do not think that I have a fear of hand shaking I am just being cautious. I just wonder if this tradition is overrated.

Peace.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,342 posts in 29,436 topics over 90 months by 12,701 of 19,963 members. Latest: WakingBad, battlebegins2014, Leetleet21