Bed Bugs and hair?

(15 posts)
  1. prayerfullybitten

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 13:09:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I also take a shower twice a day, but black women, especially with extensions, usually do not wash their hair when they're in the shower unless it's every week and a half to two weeks. Usually black women cover their hair. What a hard cultural thing to deal with!

Alcoholing my hair will take it right out of my head (my roots I mean). I think my hair is bed bug free. I go to the salon a lot and with all the sewing and single track repairs going on, I HIGHLY doubt there will be critters in there. I don't even get bitten on my upper body. I will have my neighbor look at my scalp tonight, though to see. I'll wash it often during the vikane process and cover with plastic cap as well.

2. prayerfullybitten

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 13:10:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Wait---it just occured to me--did you have a lace-front? You poor, poor thing. It must have been custom, too, to cost $3,000. Ladies--that is NOT impossible. Women do it everyday!

3. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 18:41:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry - I did not meant to gross anyone out. But yes I had a hair piece - and actually my natural hair is fairly ong - below my shoulders - but I own a beauty compnay (cosmetics, skincare & such) and need to look the part. (or used to feel that i did)

the extensions were a whole hair piece that was permanently attached - like sewn and linked into my own hair - very very difficult to get off yourself. But my other apartment was very infested and they got UNDER the hair piece. No generally bedbugs don't like hair at all and won't reside there. but in my case - they actaully got trapped under the piece and I had to cut it off my head.

anyway it was traumatic but I'm over it - no more hair extensions for me. I cut it out along with a lot of my own hair and threw it all out - it's gone

It sounds horrific but looking back at it - probably no more horrific than someone who had lice - which I never had the pleasure of experiencing. Byut many people have lice when they are kids - I guess I made up for it in adulhod.

Also - my own vanity is to blame. I knew I had bedbugs and knew that I had a very expensive hair piece so I should have taken it off and protected it when I could.

anyway - it's in the past now - but wanted to set the story straight

4. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 18:43:59
    #

Login to Send PM

it was similar to a lace front piece but because the hair was so long and was very expensive hair - that attributed to the cost

someday I may get another one but not for a long long time!!!!

5. MyWorstFear

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 20:34:19
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG Adele, I feel terrible for you. BBs are bad enough but having to cut your hair is a whole other traumatic experience!
    I know Oprah hasn't jumped on the BB problem, but maybe if she knew about how some people have had to get rid of their hair too, she might go for it. Doesn't she have extensions too?

6. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 21:00:18
    #

Login to Send PM

'Fear - most female entertainers, models and actresses ( and maybe some men too) have hair extensions

but like I said - I don't dwell on the negative - life is too short. it was about 5 months ago that i had to cut it all off and I am waiting to be BB free so I can feel comfortable enough to buy more extensions. but not for a while - it was a bad experience and I get freaky about anything on my head now

... but life goes on..... it's all about how you pick yourself up and move forward that counts

7. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 13:06:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh Adele, I agree with Fear ... cutting your hair must have been very upsetting.

Prayfullybitten, sorry to hear about your problems also.

What an interesting thread. I had no idea about this stuff -- luckily enough, I really like my natural hair. But a very interesting read.

8. kattybugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 8:11:58
    #

Login to Send PM

For those who feel as though they have bb in their hair (i have long hair and am always paranoid), I bought a Remington flatiron at Target for $19.99 and just run it through my hair every day at about 370 degree and voila...peace of mind.

9. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 8:56:51
    #

Login to Send PM

and i use the hair dryer....

if i go more than 3 days without washing my hair and scalp, i get all itchy...it's disgusting...and my hair is so long and think that i need 3 hours under the hairdryer to get it completely dry...but as i'm sitting under there i feel happy that it must be hot enough for long enough to kill anything that could be living on my scalp.

i only WISH i could cut this hair off. I told hubby recently that i was considering cutting about 5 or 6 inches off. He told me not to and that if i did he would "punish" me!$&@@!! Whaaa?...(hmmmm.....oh never mind, that's got to be a whole different topic on a whole different web site forum ;-D)

If i could i would have a boyish cut...about 1 -2 inches short and just let it dry naturally into soft curls. i could wash and condition it every morning...heaven!

10. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 8:58:13
    #

Login to Send PM

that would be "long and thick" not "long and think"

Is there any way to edit a post after it's posted?

11. Beth2

account closed

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 9:16:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle-

that's how my hair is, 1-2" curly. Don't let a man tell you what to do! My hair this way is FABULOUS to tend to and looks really good, too!

Amy

12. sickofbugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 13:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I don't know about eggs in one's hair, but the first bed bug I did catch was in the my hair. Right on the back of my nape, about an inch up from hairline. I actually felt the bites when the bed bugs were biting me. I do have some major health issues that affect my skin, so perhaps that is why I feel the bites. I have very thin fine hair. Even within that very very short period of trying to bite me, I had a huge and very itchy welt, still itches at times.

I felt a very sharp sting on the back of my head, went to rub this spot and felt something moving. I knew it was a bug and gently grabbed it and put it in a baggy. It was a bed bug. After that episode I washed my hair daily for many months.

sickofbugs

13. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 14:39:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Beth2 - 5 hours ago  » 
    Deedle-
    that's how my hair is, 1-2" curly. Don't let a man tell you what to do! My hair this way is FABULOUS to tend to and looks really good, too!
    Amy

Hey Amy...you know us women have to carefully pick our battles. My poor sweety hardly gets his say in anything else, so i always remind him how i am closely listening to him about my hair. ;-D

14. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 14:40:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Us women??? huh? We women...yes... that sounds better...

Where's our English professor???

15. Jacksfullofaces

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 26 2010 6:28:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I have horribly fine unruly awful hair and make my own hair extensions. My hair is porobably too awful for a bug to bother with lol
    Jacks

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.