bed bugs

(27 posts)
  1. pullinthread

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 14:28:59
    #

Login to Send PM

how long after they (bed bugs) arrive do they take to infest and be noticed and if you are only being bitten on your neck and a very few other places can you tell how many there are with out searching ew!!!!!

2. nomorebugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 14:46:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think anyone can say. Bed bugs are bad news. I would search for them ASAP. They typically hide in and near the bed. The faster you deal with them the easier they are to get rid of.

3. currentinsomniac

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 14:47:35
    #

Login to Send PM

We got our first BB probably around Oct 26th (though we didn't know that's what bit my husband). Within a week and half he started getting more bites and my son and I also started getting bitten. While we found our first live one in our car around Nov 10th, we have yet to see a live or dead one in our home. You can have quite an infestation without ever seeing a bug. You can only really guesstimate based on your amount of bites. If they only feed about every 5 days and you are getting new bites every day you can be sure you have more than one. But with even just one you need to start treatment right away. Those things multiple like rabbits.
    BTW....I hate looking too. I'm scared of what I'll find. In all likelihood you probably won't come across a bug unless the infestation is REALLY bad. Look for eggs, blood spots/smears on sheets, black fecal matter, etc, instead to gauge if bed bugs is what you actually have.

4. itchyincharmcity

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 14:56:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Many people get bitten for months and never see a sign other than bites. That's what has happened to me, I have seen pretty much zero signs of them. Others don't have a reaction to the bites so they are actually being bitten for weeks but don't know it until they see a bug. It seems there are no rules when dealing with bedbugs.

Personally, I took the bites as evidence enough and called a PCO to come out and inspect. I am not waiting around for them to keep breeding while I search around unsuccessfully. The very thought of them is causing me so much anxiety, I need to bring in a pro.

5. nomorebugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 14:58:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually worst then rabbits. I think 3 to 6 eggs are laid a day.

To get rid of them, to get a fighting chance, it's best if you know where they are. So look.

6. pullinthread

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 2:19:54
    #

Login to Send PM

how long does the bed and pillows need to stay covered before it is ok to take them out after you have been sprayed

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 4:42:27
    #

Login to Send PM

No! Leave them on. Forever. (Bed bugs can live for 18 months, so that's the minimum, but IMHO you really should keep it covered indefinitely.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. kraystone

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 6:03:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I took off my pillow covers and wash both of them in hot, then dry for an hour (in hot again of course). I don't think they're in my pillows, most likely they're in my box and/or mattress. After encasing them completely, I haven't got any bites for 11 days and hopefully forever!

9. pullinthread

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 11:28:33
    #

Login to Send PM

where can i buy a queen size cover i need covers for split box springs too and dont want to spend a fortune or order on line due to time factor

10. pullinthread

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 16 2007 22:34:37
    #

Login to Send PM

how long after the first intila treatment do you notice a sig difference and when will you know they are all gone and how long if no more get introduced

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 17 2007 0:00:20
    #

Login to Send PM

pullin,

You should see a gradual decrease until they are gone. It should start to get better after the first treatment--except sometimes the treatment the PCO uses might "flush them out" and so you might see or feel more bites right after. It should subside in time. You must keep being treated at intervals approx. 2 weeks apart.

Re: the signs: what signs do you have now? Bugs? Bites? How you know they are gone depends on what signs you have initially.

12. pullinthread

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 17 2007 0:12:06
    #

Login to Send PM

pco i have coming tomorrow says one more treatment in a month should do it im worried now i hate bugs i quess ill see what happens tomorrow

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 17 2007 16:00:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I would not wait a month for follow-up. 2 weeks is generally considered best (except in dry areas like Denver where apparently 3 weeks is standard). The eggs will hatch in this time and it is better to kill them soon afterwards.

Also, lots of PCOs claim they will kill all your bed bugs in one visit or two. Most cases take more than that. You need to keep treating until there are no bites, no bugs, no signs of bugs.

14. pullinthread

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 19 2007 19:19:25
    #

Login to Send PM

pco was here on sat and the whole apt was treated we found about 12 in the tuffs of my matress one dead in the living room on the baseboard none in the couch or any other furniture and all was treated every nook and cranny my bed got bagged and at first the zippers werent taped shut and in the morning the litle bastards were on my bed at the top after that i taped the covers shut and there have been no more i have washed linens and laundry to the tune of 60.00 and climbing no other bed bugs were seen visible in any other room and pco thinks it wasnt a bad infestation and that he has seen way worse. but he is coming back. i am so paranoid every itch i feel or ???? bite i think i feel i ready to jump out of my skin. any thoughts he the pco is puzzled by the lone dead one in the living room

15. pullinthread

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 19 2007 19:23:33
    #

Login to Send PM

also if i have had my new mattresses since april and i started getting bit 2 months ago could they still have come from my mattresses or ????? something else i havent been any where or bought any thing new recently im trying to figure out how i got them no one is new in here except for the people next door and the women that was there came from florida and was here for a full year ive been here going on 4 years

16. nyjammin

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 19 2007 19:48:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Pullinthread: It states in your profile that your occupation is nurse. You may have gotten them from your job: hospital, home attendant?

17. pullinthread

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Dec 4 2007 14:36:07
    #

Login to Send PM

its been two weeks now i am not seeing any bedbugs but still very paranoid im not sure what to do about mattress if i should through them out or keep them or put them out side in this cold new england weather they are bagged not sure if eggs would be killed cant really afford new ones right now. one mark on my neck today but im not sure what it is i dont want to over react if it is not a bite

18. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Dec 4 2007 16:07:46
    #

Login to Send PM

itchyincharmcity said "Many people get bitten for months and never see a sign other than bites."

That is true but if people suspected skin reactions to be caused by bbs they would inspect and would have a good chance seeing evidence. We do not see signs when we do not suspect bbs so we do not inspect our beds and boxsprings. We will notice the bbs after some times goes by after we have been experiencing skin reactions when the bbs have had a chance to multiply and start to spread out away from their initial location which will be the bed.
    They like to be close to their hosts.
    If the government and media made us better aware of this epidemic and provide us with the right kind of info society could have a much better chance in battling this epidemic.

19. pullinthread

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Dec 15 2007 20:02:35
    #

Login to Send PM

just found blood stain on the bottom pillow on my bed some please explain is it droplets of blood they drop ????

20. pullinthread

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Dec 15 2007 20:04:59
    #

Login to Send PM

how long can i wait if i want to buy new mattresses

21. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Dec 15 2007 21:18:48
    #

Login to Send PM

My preference would be to wait until the infestation is well behind me before purchasing new furniture. Mattresses, properly encased, need not be thrown out in many cases. If you really just want new ones, I would still wait until you have no more signs of bugs, just me, personally.

Blood spots are a possible sign. You should contact your PCO immediately for another inspection.

22. bugobsessed

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Dec 16 2007 0:35:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Pullinthread,

During the height of my infestation, I found both blood spots (dark red or rust colored) and fecal spots (black) on my sheets and pillowcases. The black fecal spots are what they excrete after feeding while the red blood spots (in my experience) have been from the puncture in the skin or from crushing a bug. My husband and I disturbed one in the middle of feeding at about 4am one morning, and my husband was leaking blood from his shoulder where the bite was.

23. pullinthread

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Dec 27 2007 2:45:06
    #

Login to Send PM

have second rx last done on dec 17th with an inspection and poc found nothing he did his thing and now im being bitten alot how long will it take to subsideand is there something else i should do besides wait

24. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Dec 27 2007 12:00:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Talk to your PCO about what you can and cannot do after treatment. To vacuum or not, etc.

It's common for some people for bites to increase after a treatment. As long as the treatment was thorough, this is good in the sense that the bugs are active and are being exposed to the treatments and are soon on their way to dying, one hopes; this assumes that the treatment was thorough and applied where the bugs will come in contact with it.

For example, if your bed frame was not thoroughly inspected and treated and you are still getting bites, then any bugs harboring in the bed frame are getting totally "free" bites at no risk of exposure to treatments. So, you need to monitor and maintain communication with your PCO.

Monitor and keep a record of your bites and evidence sightings. Many people need more than two treatments.

Things have to get better in the next two weeks. Not seeing an improvement is a possible sign of problems that you need to discuss with your PCO.

25. pullinthread

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 3 2008 12:03:53
    #

Login to Send PM

i am ready to loose it. i have been treated twice and will be treated again this weekend i lay in my bed and feel something crawling through my hair but see nothing and itching starts when i lay my head on my pillows that are encased i took them apart and saw nothing i never see anything but when i wake up i have bites all over my neck i know they are coming up over the top of my bed and will throw out head board my face starts to itch and i feel something crawl across my face but when i brush my face or look there is nothing there but i get bit.???????? not sure if i am forgetting to do something. was told not to vaccum for 2 months but this is rediculous can any one shed some light please. nuts in mass

26. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 3 2008 13:00:10
    #

Login to Send PM

pullinthread,
    I think that no vaccuming for two months is a long time. The PCO wants the chemicals to last as long as possible but I know of no chemical for fighting bbs that can last that long. I say give it two weeks and then lightly vaccum.
    Sunlight and windex can also break down chemicals as well as some other products, also water of course so do not steam.

Are you in Boston?

27. pullinthread

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 3 2008 13:33:52
    #

Login to Send PM

no im not in boston but might as well be i am in a small city but also surrounded by lots of country type towns. 50 miles south of boston near RI border. had no idea this was such an epidemic seems like im the only one with the problem so far as any one has admitted too. thanks for the advice by the way

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,464 posts in 44,760 topics over 136 months by 19,640 of 20,340 members. Latest: Hellobabies, Njpleasehelp, WaterBedBugs