Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Bed Bug Sprays you can buy in the store

(5 posts)
  1. kitten99

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 20 2009 23:29:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I'm new to this site. I lived in an apt for 3 yrs where we were severely infested and the landlord did little about it. Long story short, as a last resort, after many years of battling, we decided to throw away our furniture, almost everything we own, wrap our clothes and wash and dry everything in hot water, and only took a few boxes. The new house has been clean and bug free for months, until this week, they have re-appeared.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any actual success with products ordered online or bought at the hardware store. Since this problem seemed to just appear, and it's not totally out of control yet, I want to try something from the store before springing for all the money for a professional.

Also, I am in NY, if anyone has had any luck with a professional exterminator company in my area, i would appreciate the info

Thanks,
    Lisa

2. ajade274

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2009 13:17:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I am also looking for products that may be helpful. I do not think I have a bad/if any infestation but I did see one, so you never know. Did you find any products? Thanks!
    Ariel

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2009 14:33:45
    #

Login to Send PM

We generally suggest that people not attempt their own pest control when it comes to bed bugs. There are rare exceptions of people who have the skill set that makes them more able to do this, and for people who are trapped in a situation in which a reluctant landlord or a cheap landlord won't treat and law prohibits them from hiring their own PCOs, we have had people self treat successfully.

However, pest control is a lot like antibiotics. Using an antibiotic for a viral infection will not only not do any good, it can cause harm (in the case of antibiotics, by making some germs resistant to some antibiotics.)

The best method of dealing with any bed bug infestation, even a currently small one, is to get a good PCO in to treat the place professionally.

Most self-treatment options only make the problem worse by pushing the bugs deeper into places that make them harder to eradicate.

High quality steamers, for example, might be (with enough elbow grease on your part) a good way to get rid of current problems. But those steamers that make hot enough dry steam to kill the bugs and not cause mold problems from the water run about $400 to $700.

At that point, you might as well hire a professional.

There are stories in the forum of people who've done it themselves, but those are people who read extensively, educated themselves, and took all the appropriate safety precautions. If you're not able or willing to go out and buy proper respirators, do a lot of work yourself, and/or uncomfortable becoming practically an armchair chemist, treating bed bugs is a hobby best left to the professionals.

Many people who begin with self-treatment end up, in the end, needing to hire a professional, which sets them back financially more than just hiring the pro in the first place.

In in southern California, so I can't much help with local suggestions, but searching (esp. using the tags) should turn up any number of folks in the NY area to help.

4. DeathToBBs

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2009 21:07:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Kitten99. I noticed you have not been on the forums for awhile, but figured I ask a question for you and if you ever pop your head in again to maybe respond What part of NY do you live and have you posted on the bedbug registry where you were battling bbs for 3 years?

5. ctd2009

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2009 21:27:07
    #

Login to Send PM

before finding this site, i was ready to buy raid bed bug & flea spray at home depot, something told me not to get it

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,442 posts in 29,264 topics over 90 months by 12,626 of 19,869 members. Latest: sylvia platypus, Stay_Positive, stanton