Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Bed Bug Sniffing Dog Calgary

(18 posts)
  1. Progressive Maintenance

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 16 2010 17:29:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi... just wanting to introduce Progressive Maintenance... and Kia who is our bed bug sniffing k9 servicing the Calgary area, Canmore, Banff and Lake Louise. She is a Retriever-Lab cross and was certified by the Florida K9 Academy.

[Admin note: URL linked from member name. Duplicate URL removed.]

2. ActionK9

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 17 2010 18:09:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the group!!!!! We have three Florida K9 Academy dogs and find them to be highly accurate and of course..loveable! Look into joining IFEDCA. International Forensic Entomology Detection Canine Association.

The IFEDCA is the premier association for the canine detection industry. IFEDCA is operated by a MASTER TRAINER and is committed to being a leader in the preservation of the integrity of trained canines, teams and facilities. IFEDCA is a professional organization of individual dog trainers, facilities and teams, who are committed to becoming better at what they do through education.

We wish you the very best success and HAPPY HUNTING!!

Todd Lorah
    Action K9, New York

3. btaggart

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Feb 19 2010 13:19:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome progressive,

I would also encourage you to look into joining NESDCA. NESDCA is organization that was founded by PCO's and is oldest and most established organization for entomology scent detection canine teams. You can go onto http://www.nesdca.com to view who our certified teams are, our certification standards and any other info you are looking for. All NESDCA elvauators are volunteer k9 law enforcement in order to maintain the upmost integrity in our certifications and standards. NESDCA is open to any and all entomology scent detection canine teams. Currently NESDCA have certified teams from the following training academys: Florida Canine Academy, J&K Canine Academy, as well as a private trainer, and a private traning facility in Texas. Feel free to contact me for further information.

Brian Taggart
    Monitor Liason
    NESDCA

4. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Feb 20 2010 2:06:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Brian,

I glanced at your website and did not see any K9 teams from Florida K9 Academy that I recognized.

NESDCA has a long history of excluding other trainers K9 teams from the exam...Why the change of heart... Have you rewritten the rules that exclude dual scent trained teams or teams that are not trained to walk by important evidence without an alert?

I am still curious about the NESDCA certification exam too... You have claimed on this forum that PepeDog teams have failed the certification exam, but you have refused to state the number or name the teams... What are you hiding?

5. jessip

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Feb 20 2010 10:22:18
    #

Login to Send PM

As I have pointed out in the past, Doug you continue to show your true colors. Here someone wanted to announce and provide their services in Canada. Two organizations greeted them and wanted to provide their services. Both Todd and Brian were polite, professional, and invited Progressive to join their organizations.

Now we can look at two organizations, and I did. Neither organization list failed certifications, a question that appears to be so dear to your heart. Which again I have to ask, WHO CARES, I don't want a dog that has failed a test at my house no more than I want a exterminator who failed their test. I want to see or know who passed. You also ask about rules, I can read the rules on NESDCA's website but can't find any rules on IFEDCA's website. From your statement about changing the rules, apparently you have read them before, did they change?

What started as a company wanting to inform people on this site they are here to provide a service for them. IFEDCA and NESDCA welcoming and also trying to sell their services professionally, you have again proven your not here to help. It appears you here for your own personal gain.

jessip

PS: I am still searching the patent and trademark office websites for your "bedbugdog". It hasn't even been applied for according to their records.

6. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Feb 20 2010 12:03:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Jessip

I expected you to pop up in this discussion...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/profile/jessip

Every time I ask Brian a question that he is unwilling to answer, you seem to pop up with a series of cowardly attacks on my character to distract the consumers from the question at hand.

You are obviously not a consumer... Professionals are asked to identify their affiliations, so that consumers can evaluate the conflicts of interest that may exist... You have never identified your obvious affiliation with Brian and NESDCA... I would suggest that you are the ethically challenged entity here... Why don't you just let Brian answer the questions that have been posed without the personal attacks on me... Are cowardly personal attacks your idea of acting like a professional?

[/quote]Brian,

I glanced at your website and did not see any K9 teams from Florida K9 Academy that I recognized.

NESDCA has a long history of excluding other trainers K9 teams from the exam...Why the change of heart... Have you rewritten the rules that exclude dual scent trained teams or teams that are not trained to walk by important evidence without an alert?

I am still curious about the NESDCA certification exam too... You have claimed on this forum that PepeDog teams have failed the certification exam, but you have refused to state the number or name the teams... What are you hiding? [quote]

7. Beth

account closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Feb 20 2010 18:21:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I love when pco's argue on this site. It's so crazy. Less time arguing would equal more time inspecting! omg!

amy

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Feb 20 2010 22:18:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Note: we rarely see PCOs on the site arguing. People in the bed bug k9 industry, on the other hand, well...

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Feb 21 2010 8:41:33
    #

Login to Send PM

geesh... can a fella just ask a couple of simple questions around here without getting his head bit off...

(Read in a Rodney Dangerfield voice)

I'll tell ya... It's dog eat dog out there...

I get no respect...

No respect...

10. bedbugbill

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Feb 21 2010 12:58:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I have found Doug Summers to be Most helpful .If you need to call him he always has a great deal of knowledge . Not only about the training of bed bug dogs but also about bed bugs . He is someone who is dedicated to helping people in these fields. I really fell that someone who tries to say something else about this person really does not know what he is all about. Doug please do not let some remarks get you down , You do have a lot of respect from people who have met you and know how smart and dedicated you are .

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Feb 21 2010 23:33:37
    #

Login to Send PM

My own remarks were not directed at Doug in particular.

Doug has been quite helpful to many people on this site almost since it began, and I am very glad he continues to participate.

However, there are factions in the bed bug k9 industry (as I am sure you will all agree), and everyone in the industry seems to fall into one of them. Speaking as someone not in that industry, it can be quite tedious to observe what often appears to be one giant pissing contest.

I have said it before and I will say it again:

• I have no doubt there are effective k9 teams who are trained by a number of sources. I have no doubt there are effective k9 teams who are and those who are not "certified" by NESDCA.
    • The name of your trainer or the presence/non-presence of NESDCA certification do not prove a dog will be correct when it alerts, or doesn't. Continued training from the handler and excellent handling skills are necessary long-term.
    • Consumers should ask k9 handlers to provide visual evidence when a dog alerts. If visual evidence cannot be located, you cannot be sure you do not have a false positive.

Those are my opinions, but a lot of folks with experience will probably concur.

bedbugbill,

You should perhaps read my response to you in this thread. I just want to alert you in case you haven't seen it.

12. mike@americank9pi.com

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Feb 22 2010 9:18:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Doug,
    My dog Tracer was trained at Florida Canine Academy in 4/08 by you and Bill. She is now NESDCA certified and am very proud of that fact.If you remember Tracer arrived to me on the day before I was to leave Florida Canine and was sent to your facility by a gentleman in Kentucky.The amount of time I had training with Tracer was minimal but she has turned into an incredible dog due to my dedication in working with her.Remember now??? No rules by NESDCA have ever excluded dogs trained elsewhere from trying to certify. I know this as a fact!Lets all be on the same page. You and Bill have been offered the chance to certify your dogs by NESDCA but you have chosen not too. Also, yes dogs that have been trained by J+K Canine have failed re-certification. The problem usually lies in the dog handler and not the dog. I feel this only further legitimizes NESDCA as an organization. The number of teams that have failed re-certification is irrelevant. The team either passes or fails and they always have the opportunity to try again.

13. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Feb 22 2010 15:26:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Mike,

Thank you for your response... That was all I was trying to ask Brian... I missed it when I looked at the NESDCA handler list...

I agree that the handler is the critical issue... particularly on a certification exam.

Brian brought up the subject of PepeDog teams failing the NESDCA exam, then refused to answer any questions about his claims.

I believe that NESDCA rules still fail teams that ID cast skins or other non-live evidence and bar any K9s that are trained on multiple targets from being certified... Correct me if I am wrong on this point.

As far as I know... Tracer is the only Florida Canine Academy bed bug K9 that is certified by NESDCA at this time... I don't believe that Jada was ever certified by NESDCA

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Feb 22 2010 21:15:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed Bug k9 industry folks,

I have created a new *Official* bed bug k9 industry thread.

I hate to ask this, since you're mid-discussion, but I will ask you to move further discussion on this topic here.

I would also ask that whenever you're in a topic which may morph into a discussion of the bed bug k9 industry, that you take the initiative to move it there (you can link to it from any thread where you want people to follow you for further discussion). This avoids taking other threads off topic, which happens a lot.

This thread is not a particular problem, but think of it this way: these same discussions are being rehashed over and over, and it would help to have it all in one place. Since I can't rename this thread to be the official bed bug k9 thread, I have started a new one.

Consumers who want to ask about dogs or get recommendations may start new threads, but if you want to engage in debates about training, certification, and so on, I would direct you to the *official* thread.

Does that work?

15. ActionK9

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 24 2010 20:48:03
    #

Login to Send PM

So....there you go, "Progressive Maintenance", welcome to the world of Bed Bug sniffing K9's. I wish you well and I know you will be very busy in Canada. If we can ever assist in any way just PM or check out the "official" K9 thread. (lol)

At the end of the day, we are all fighting the same fight. I truly wish we could all get on the same page.

All the best to you and Kia!

Todd
    Action K9 New York

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2010 1:13:35
    #

Login to Send PM

ActionK9 - 4 hours ago  » 
    At the end of the day, we are all fighting the same fight. I truly wish we could all get on the same page.

Ditto!

Thanks ActionK9.

17. Progressive Maintenance

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Feb 26 2010 17:21:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will look into membership with both organizations. Thank you for the invitation to those organizations! Happy Bed Bug Sniffing to all!
    Rosemary

18. Exterminator Toronto

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2011 21:50:38
    #

Login to Send PM

DougSummersMS has raises valid concerns over NESDCA certification. Should the head of a dog training academy and owners of canine inspection companies be on the Board of Directors? Conflict of interest? It is very possible they would exclude others if it suits their competitive advantage.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335