Bed bug in window pane?

(6 posts)
  1. diebbdie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2009 7:20:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I was wondering if it's possible for a bed bug to make it into a window pane, just as the title says. The PCO agreed to come out a 4th time (I have a previous post about that drama!) and as I was removing the window covering I have up in my mom's room (an old sheet) I noticed a bed bug in between her windows. What can be done to get rid of it, save getting a new window?! It's not in the part of the window that opens, it's in the other half, which is double pane. I also found a nymph on my mother's mattress encasement while putting her sheets in the washer.

I hope this fourth treatment today works. I was told being in a single story, detached home, treatment should not be as difficult as opposed to an apartment complex. I feel we are doing all we can and the PCO keeps switching chemicals after each treatment to not build resistance, including a growth regulator. We've also been vacuuming/cleaning vigilantly and still have things bagged up. What gives?!

Thanks!

2. marcp

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2009 12:56:59
    #

Login to Send PM

If you noticed a bb there, it is most likely that there may be others in that area. You could try putting masking tape all aroun the window frame. Sealing all the little spaces where BBs could fit may be a good way of reducing them if you are regularly vacuum cleaning the room.

This is just an idea. Does anybody else have more ideas on this?

3. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2009 13:18:05
    #

Login to Send PM

perhaps check with your pco to be sure that it is a bedbug? they are averse to light and prefer dark hidden locations, so a window pane isn't a very typical spot to find them (although i'm sure people have found weirder things!). if it is indeed a bedbug, it may be a sign that your pco needs to pay attention to that particular windowframe, or maybe the wallvoid surrounding it.

4. diebbdie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2009 20:05:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the input. The PCO came today and looked and said it wasn't a bed bug-thank God! However, bed bug eggs have been found outside, stuck to her window...like, egg casings found outside. Now that's got to be something new. The sun shines directly onto my mother's bedroom window every evening so what would possess a bed bug to lay eggs outside? That can't be common. I would think they aren't THAT tough to survive some of the crazy weather we've had around here lately (drenching rains, flash flooding, tomorrow it's supposed to be 92+ degrees...). I mean, I would think the extreme amounts of rain we've had in the last few days would drown them....or am I being too optimistic or is this just now bed bug paranoia setting in? They are definitely egg casings though. Could they live in the siding of the house or near the foundation and creep back in? Or could I just get to a big box home repair store and buy some outdoor bug spray (I hear Ortho Home Defense Max is good) and spray around the house and the window-just to play it safe.

Our fourth and hopefully final treatment was today. The PCO did say he focused on my mother's room but he did not see any live ones or nymphs anywhere in the house. This has to be a positive right?

I swear, people don't know how this is until they've gone through it.

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2009 21:03:39
    #

Login to Send PM

diebbdie - 56 minutes ago  » 
    I swear, people don't know how this is until they've gone through it.

Sigh.
    BTW, "Die BB, die" is a German phrase expressing affection..."you, BB you", right?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. diebbdie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2009 22:57:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Ha! You die bed bugs die!

I actually just went into the basement to do one final search myself a few hours ago and found 4 live ones! 4! 3 adults and one nymph. They were under my mother's room. I immediately called the PCO and he's coming out tomorrow or first thing Thursday. I also have the number from a friend for a second opinion to call first thing in the morning. The PCO said he looked downstairs (and treated underneath my mom's room) on his first two visits. He told me tonight that they are probably running from the chemical (he said he used Phantom today) and would have died on their own. I don't know if I buy this. These bugs were very much alive and not the least bit hampered by any chemicals he sprayed upstairs today.

Thankfully our basement isn't finished, but we have a lot of stuff down there, just being stored, but it isn't exactly organized. He said there's no need to spray the entire basement or do the insane cleaning. Does that sound right?

I can't tell you all how grateful I am to this site! I've been reading it since the beginning of this a month ago and thought today would be the last of it with this 4th treatment-I guess not. But good thing I looked for myself in the basement and saw them-or this would have died down and started yet again in a few weeks/months I think...

These things can be beat, right?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,056 posts in 29,389 topics over 90 months by 12,674 of 19,933 members. Latest: no_bugs_plz, Scott, bb225nyc