BED BUG HORROR

(4 posts)
  1. Helphelphelp

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2012 20:58:58
    #

Login to Send PM

So I moved into a new apartment and ever since I've been having some skin reactions. I keep getting tiny little bumps on my arms, shoulders and back. The bumps on my arms are very tiny and skin colored. They are risen but you can only see them looking into the light.

The bumps on my back are red but to be fair I am prone to acne. I have skin crawling sensations all day, this could be anxiety from thinking I have bed bugs (the mind is a powerful thing) or an actual skin reaction, I have yet to decide.

I know you're not supposed to change rooms but I have now taken to sleeping on my couch. I've been searching for evidence (cast skins, fecal traces etc) but I've found nothing in 2 months.

In my bedroom I've taken off all my sheets and only left my white mattress cover. Also I surrounded the bed with tape, caught nothing. There are no traces on the bed (maybe some specks but nothing smeared) however there is some yellow discoloration on the cover in spots (no one has slept in the bed since i covered)

My question is - do you think I could have bed bugs ?

A good friend of mine came to town and subleased an apt. He came to my house for a few hours (layed in my bed fully clothed for about 15 min) the following day he called me about three large bites. It's my impression that bites take a while to show up so i assumed if they were bb bites he got them from where he was staying. Now I'm extra scared he brought them in.

IF I DO HAVE THEM:

My plan is to heat treat all of my clothes for 1:30 in the dryer and put them into vacuum sealed bags.

Then have an exterminator come in and treat.

Then after a few weeks put all of the belongings that were out and treated into bags.

Go away for a few months.

Then find a new apartment. Negotiate breaking my lease somehow.

After the standard 2-3 treatments and some incubation time in bags. I plan to Vikane a truck and then move.

If I follow this protocol do you think I can escape bedbug free?

2. blargg

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2012 21:41:31
    #

Login to Send PM

bumps on shoulders/back sound like acne. arms could be acne, too, or even dry skin. It's good that you're inspecting; just try not to be paranoid. Got any monitors?... climbups, etc?

3. Helphelphelp

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2012 21:52:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I dont have any monitors or anything yet.

I have a question though....

If VIKANE is SO effective why doesn't everyone do it? I know the price is a factor but all those stories of people spending 10k to get rid of bed bugs sound crazy to me. Especially because I've known at least 4 people FAR less neurotic than I am to get rid of them with basic efforts.

If this is really happening

if i heat treat my clothes and bag, vikane everything else and move will I be good to go?

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jan 6 2012 0:45:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear help,

While your basic question may seem simple at first glance, there are a lot of contingencies and variables that need to be taken into consideration.

Gas fumigation sounds quick, easy and reliable. However, there are many considerations regarding treatment method selection that need to be taken into account.

While it is understandable that we are looking for a simple solution, due to a variety of factors a comprehensive and integreated approach is often the best course of action.

In addition to this, and much to the consternation of my colleague across the pond, the significant majority of us remain focused on the control phase at the cost of uncovering the root cause to an infestation. That is, why & how did we get the BBs in the first place and what needs to be done to assure that we don't get them again once we have remediated the current situation.

If it were simple, there'd be no need for this Forum and we'd all be talking about something else.

At this point there may be others who are scoffing at this comment because I often state that "it ain't rocet science". I maintain that "it ain't" but with some suitable guidance and a heaping dose of effort applied correctly we can successfully deal with BBs.

Let us know if any additional questions as there are many here who are willing to help out !

Hope this helps ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.