Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

bed bug feeding habits

(7 posts)
  1. bedbugbad

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 1:41:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I got bed bugs sometime in August, I didn't realize I had them for a week or so. When I did find out I threw out the cot I had been sleeping on (Aug 25th), it had 2 "tunnels" where they could hide. I don't know how many were in these tunnels but I did see quite a few at the ends of the tunnel by my feet where they were visible. After I got rid of the cot the biting went way down, I no longer had a mysterious "rash" above my knees and I lost the urge to tear the skin off my very itchy lower legs every morning.

I've been killing them by hand ever since though I didn't keep track of how many until Sept 18th, from that date through Sept 29th I killed about 140 of them and from Sept 30th 'til now (Oct 8th) I've killed 6 so I'm guessing their population is considerably lower.

I know they hide and I know they don't feed every day but won't all of them always eventually come out to feed on me at least once a week?

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 5:40:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you thought of calling an exterminator ?

3. bedbugbad

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 11:38:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes I have, at some point in the future maybe I'll go that route. For now I'm just trying to understand how they live.

4. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 13:11:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. Eventually all of them will need to feed at some point. Some can go as long as 18 months without feeding (if they are unable to reach a blood meal). There are 5 nymph stages in which a bed bug needs to have a blood meal in order to moult its skin and grow. Then after they reach adult hood they need to feed again in order to reproduce. Females need blood to continue to lay eggs. Males also feed on blood. They can feed anywhere from a few days apart to a week apart. I've read that it depends on temperature though I could be wrong about that. They will not avoid feeding. There is a myth that they hibernate. This is not true. If it is able to access blood it will feed whether there are chemicals in the way or someone tries to use "deterrants". The only way they will not feed is if they are trapped, like sealed away in a bag or airtight bin.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  5. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Thu Oct 19 2017 14:49:31
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 1 week ago  » 
    If it is able to access blood it will feed whether there are chemicals in the way or someone tries to use "deterrants".

Will they die if they pass through chemicals/DE on the way?

6. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 days ago
    Sat Oct 21 2017 14:06:25
    #

Login to Send PM

It's unfortunately not as easy as it sounds. A bed bug can live 7-17 days after exposure to DE. A mated female could still lay eggs in that time. At least that's what I understand. Perhaps an expert could confirm whether that's the case.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 days ago
    Sat Oct 21 2017 14:26:41
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 19 minutes ago  » 

It's unfortunately not as easy as it sounds. A bed bug can live 7-17 days after exposure to DE. A mated female could still lay eggs in that time. At least that's what I understand. Perhaps an expert could confirm whether that's the case.

CimeXa dust will work faster.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd