Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » How bed bugs are changing the world

Bed Bug Epidemic in Michigan!

(10 posts)
  1. mp7ski

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jan 26 2017 5:42:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Well here I am, sitting in a small town of about 2000 residents in the middle of the mitten state and can't believe what me and my family are going through. It's hell. And I'm not the only one in the area. Multiple Apartment complexes, a disabled home, and a few people I know of all have bed bug infestations... and the problem is, there are no good pcos in the area so it will just continue to spread.

Michigan will soon enough be the most infested state in the country, mark my words. Detroit, Kalamazoo, and Grand Rapids are all in the top 15 most infested cities in the country. If only I knew this month's ago...

The worst part is MI is behind in treating infestations. I've had three pcos come and they all want to use heat, saying it's 99.9% effective... ha, we all know the real answer to that. No one uses an IPM approach, just strictly chemical or strictly heat... no steam, etc.

Had one treat twice, made the problem worse...

I argued with the regional manager of Rose in GR about the resistance of chemicals in bed bugs when I asked him what chemicals they use. He laughed... then I mentioned I could show him published studys by universities and entomologists that show chemical resistance in bed bugs, especially from specimens taken from MI and Cincinnati, Ohio. He shrugged it off and laughed, said he's the expert and they're the oldest pest company in MI.

That's the oldest pest control company in MI... that's the best we get... pathetic. Detroit has BB specific PCOs, but they're not coming up here anytime soon. It will get out of control soon enough, If it isn't already.

Just venting my frustration, I use to love this state and my life. Now I wish I lived in Antarctica.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  2. FayeState

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jan 26 2017 6:50:26
    #

Login to Send PM

We need the PCO's on this forum to train people throughout the country and world so we all get the same great service if we need it.

3. cantcallit2016

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jan 26 2017 8:18:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Mp7ski what you are going through is terrible started the bb situation back in mid 2015 thought I was clear after more than 5 treatments since may of 2016 moved thought got fresh start bought all new furniture now I can't find any but am getting itchy bumps and itching this is way worse rather be able too find one any day than go 9 months without finding a single bug dead or alive and what makes it worse live in a apartment and every time you turn around exterminator truck is parked around front or back spraying someones apt for bb I won't do my laundry at there laundry room my main problem is the manager lived here 14 yrs. 10 of which never had a problem as soon as she came in for previous manager within a yr. Whole building was infested with roaches after that got cleared within next couple years same tenant had bb dumpster diving for his furniture I have ocd and anxiety badly and bb only make it 100 times worse so I know exactly how you feel venting does help!!

4. barelyliving

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jan 26 2017 12:30:51
    #

Login to Send PM

People on this forum have had success DIYing it. I bet you can, too. I understand your frustration and apocalyptic thinking. It's what I do, too. It's a real concern, but I bet you can beat it with what you've learned here.

No harm in calling Congress critters and venting frustration with how the EPA slows and stops the approval of new treatments and won't allow the propoxur that Canada is able to use.

5. Brij719

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jan 26 2017 17:20:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I too live in Michigan, a suburb about 25 minutes from downtown Detroit. I'm sorry to hear about your bb problem, and the trouble finding a PCO. Rose pest is actually a very reputable company, and they have an entomologist who works there. I also have to say that heat can be very effective, but I was lucky enough to have it done in the heat of the summer, and not have to worry about cold walls etc. I had heat treatment with chemical back up, and worked with a very good company. I'm not sure where you are located exactly but if you'd like the name I'd be happy to share. They do have offices further north. My company even offered a 3 month guarantee with the option to extend your warranty. I think bb are a problem in Michigan, yes, but they are in most states as well. When you have people who cannot afford treatment, who are unaware/uneducated about bb, and hire shotty PCOs it just makes the problem worse.

6. mp7ski

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jan 26 2017 18:48:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Brij719 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I too live in Michigan, a suburb about 25 minutes from downtown Detroit. I'm sorry to hear about your bb problem, and the trouble finding a PCO. Rose pest is actually a very reputable company, and they have an entomologist who works there. I also have to say that heat can be very effective, but I was lucky enough to have it done in the heat of the summer, and not have to worry about cold walls etc. I had heat treatment with chemical back up, and worked with a very good company. I'm not sure where you are located exactly but if you'd like the name I'd be happy to share. They do have offices further north. My company even offered a 3 month guarantee with the option to extend your warranty. I think bb are a problem in Michigan, yes, but they are in most states as well. When you have people who cannot afford treatment, who are unaware/uneducated about bb, and hire shotty PCOs it just makes the problem worse.

Do you have the name of the company you used?

7. Brij719

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jan 26 2017 19:01:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Presidio Pest Management. I think their main office is based in Lapeer. They offer thermal with chemical backup and also traditional chemical. They used a variety of chemicals/dust when they did our thermal treatment and came back twice for follow ups. It was expensive, but worth every penny.

8. mp7ski

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jan 27 2017 23:31:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Brij719 - 1 day ago  » 
    Presidio Pest Management. I think their main office is based in Lapeer. They offer thermal with chemical backup and also traditional chemical. They used a variety of chemicals/dust when they did our thermal treatment and came back twice for follow ups. It was expensive, but worth every penny.

Unfortunately I am nowhere near that company, and I'm in a situation where heat wouldn't work. If I had known better before orkin made us make a bunch of mistakes, possibly, but it's too late and I can't pay 1700 dollars for a treatment that won't work. I'm having to diy for now until I come up with a plan.

On top of all this, I just got off the phone with my mom, and apparently a retirement home where she has stayed the night at repeatedly for the last year, is infested with bed bugs, including the person that she stayed with... so on top of my problems, my mom could be having the same issues as well. She also said that there were two apartments in the same town that she knew of that were getting treated for bed bugs the same day.

That's a small town of 2000-2500 people, with HS graduating classes of about 90 kids, that are having that many bedbug issues on top of mine...

I know a lot of states have bed bug issues, but for such a small town to have this many bed bug issues is terrifying.

9. mp7ski

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jan 28 2017 1:34:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sitting here blaming the government, or the EPA for banning effective pesticides. I just know that before long, something will have to be done to address the issue.

Just look at Ohio, who asked the EPA to lift the ban on propoxur due to their bed bug epidemic. For a congressman to go along with that when propoxur has been thought of as a carcinogen and a serious health risk to children, tells you how big of an issue this is.

I understand there are reputable bed bug experts out there that can resolve issues, but I almost guarantee they can't solve all of them and I guarantee, due to personal experience, that good quality pcos who specialize in bed bugs are not everywhere and the shotty pcos in those areas actually make the problem worse.

The only thing that gave me hope in the beginning of this all is Vikane, but seeing all the failures on here even from when they used the 3x concentration instead of the 1.9x concentration does not give me any hope whatsoever. I bet that's why DOW sold the rights of Vikane to Douglas Products. Because they knew that, while the 1.9x killed bed bugs in lab conditions, it isn't sufficient in the real world. If people were paying thousands of dollars to have their home fumigated with vikane at the 3x level, and having failures from reputable companies with Dow representatives present, why would they lower it.

The only way I see progress, especially in stand alone homes is for them to be able to use Vikane at a much higher level than 1.9x or even 3x. Why skimp on something like that when so much is on the line. They say they lowered the level to make it more affordable when in actuality, the majority of the cost isn't even the gas itself, but rather the labor involved. That's exactly why DOW sold it, I almost guarantee it. Cause they knew they made a mistake asking the EPA to lower the dosage for bed bugs.

10. mp7ski

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Apr 14 2017 4:25:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Talked to a lifelong friend this weekend about bed bugs. He knows three people in the same town who have bed bugs. One of which has been battling them for at least 4 years with unsuccessful treatments and moves. 4 years!!!!! Unbelievable... that's 8 different locations that I know of in one small town that have bed bugs.

Will humans be plagued with this epidemic forever? Sure looks like it...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

255,578 posts in 40,931 topics over 125 months by 17,911 of 18,303 members. Latest: hunkamunka, jt90808, Ihbb9