Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

bed bug eggs - hard or soft?

(6 posts)
  1. franticincinti

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 20:28:40
    #

Login to Send PM

My daughter and I are freaking out. She thinks she found a cluster of bedbug eggs on her sheets, but we can't really tell, even with a jewelers loop. These look kinda like sesame seeds (she has not been eating in bed) and they are quite hard. I can't find anywhere that describes the texture of the eggs. Help!!!

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 21:42:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Whoops, double posted somehow.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 21:44:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Seal them up immediately in a ziplock bag! Go look at the photos on the FAQ and compare.

You don't want them out in case they are BB eggs. If they hatch in the bag they can't bite you nor add to your population and would be perfect evidence for a PCO. They want proof positive and sometimes people have fits obtaining a bug.

You could end up with a baggie of hatched eggs and nymphs. Don't freak and throw it away if they hatch. IT IS YOUR PROOF!

Look for other evidence in and around the bed in the meantime.

Jim

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 21:48:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Excellent suggestion, spideyj! I'll second the seal them up part. Many PCOs won't treat without an actual bug or bugs as proof, and as people here can tell you, catching these evil beasts can be hard. (I apparently had very laid back California bed bugs who were more than happy to be caught. I caught two myself, and the various PCOs caught another two, and I had casings. The PCOs were positively thrilled when I handed them ziplocks. PCOs actually seem to really like dealing with people who have a clue, so you'll probably get on your PCO's good side if you hand them a bag with nymphs and/or eggs.) Many people here have spent a lot of time cursing because they did the most obvious thing you do with a gross bug--get rid of it--and then spent a long time trying to catch another one.

So seal them up and hold onto the bag! Don't toss it no matter how much you get freaked or grossed out!

I suck as identifying things from photos, so you also might find David's description of the eggs helpful:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/a-about-the-eggs

I get the sense that the eggs are smaller than sesame seeds, which is why I like the measurements in the post I gave you a link to. I suck at scale (if you say they are ovals, I picture things the size of advil caplets, but BB eggs are much smaller).

PS--I also stored the ziplock in the freezer because watching them crawl around freaked me out. The freezer won't kill them, but a friend taking a bio class in college stored her bugs in the freezer when they had to do a bug collection. Between the time she caught them and the time she killed and pinned them, they lived in ziplocks in the fridge. (I joked that if she'd waited another month, I could have gotten her some bed bugs, in multiple stages of life, for plenty of extra credit). I think the freezer makes most bugs a little more sluggish.

Just make sure to seal the ziplock. I double bagged it to be sure.

5. effinbugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 1 2008 2:17:49
    #

Login to Send PM

From what I've noticed, they're quite small and hard to detect (on their own anyways, pretty obvious in clusters). Anyways, the ones I found were much smaller than sesame seeds.

6. fightorflight

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 1 2008 2:52:18
    #

Login to Send PM

> These look kinda like sesame seeds (she has not been eating in bed) and they are quite hard.

From what I've read and also what I saw in my own home, what you describe are most definitely not bedbug eggs. My experience is that they are tiny, almost like motes of dust sometimes and can be very hard to detect. I started to know what to look for, but even so, I'm sure there were places with eggs that I missed. The first cluster I detected, on a night table, remained invisible to my naked eye after two visual inspections. It was only when I shined an LED-type Maglight at the table that I was able to see them. Even after that, I still couldn't find the egg cluster on that table with my naked eye. I think some sunlight was all I needed to notice the egg batch on the seam of the futon couch, but even so, it was like so much dust.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,070 posts in 29,393 topics over 90 months by 12,675 of 19,934 members. Latest: Scott, bb225nyc, crazyoncape