Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

bed bug dogs.. seem not useful for bat bugs!

(3 posts)
  1. batbugger

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2012 11:17:27
    #

Login to Send PM

So yesterday, Landlord had her PCO bring out their bb dog to sniff out where the bat bugs are hiding. Dog found nothing not even the live bug on a glue trap we caught night before. Today brought a new dog out to search. Nada. Not even the bug on sticky trap which is still alive! But, good thing is we were cleared of having bed bugs lol. Thankful for that. I not sure if the dog cannot detect bat bugs or if maybe it cant detect them because that don't harbor together like bed bugs and are scattered. Or maybe because there isn't a large infestation. All I know is they are definitely here and we find them sporadically and get bite from them. As far as them reproducing without bat blood I am almost positive they just need any blood. We found a baby on one of the traps three days ago but, when we tried to remove it for proof it kind a got squished. It is a shame the landlord didn't just clean and treat the attic weeks ago after removing the bats, if she did the bugs would be gone too. The sad thing is we live in a row of town homes and the attic space is all connected (one big attic for the whole row)so the bugs can easily find their way into other tenants homes and landlord won't make them aware she is extremely ignorant to the whole situation.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2012 11:43:12
    #

Login to Send PM

That's interesting because the k9 teams I know have sniffed out bat bugs and bed bugs. The dogs are trained on bed bug odor and the odor to them has never been differentiated so they wouldn't know one from the other and alert on both. Possibly the dogs aren't trained very well, too, and they miss common bed bug infestations. That's something you don't know. The dogs should have shown some type of behavioral change, but maybe the handler doesn't know how to pick up on subtle behavioral changes. Maybe a few trainers & handlers can chime in here.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  3. batbugger

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2012 14:52:09
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 2 hours ago  » 
    That's interesting because the k9 teams I know have sniffed out bat bugs and bed bugs. The dogs are trained on bed bug odor and the odor to them has never been differentiated so they wouldn't know one from the other and alert on both. Possibly the dogs aren't trained very well, too, and they miss common bed bug infestations. That's something you don't know. The dogs should have shown some type of behavioral change, but maybe the handler doesn't know how to pick up on subtle behavioral changes. Maybe a few trainers & handlers can chime in here.

It does seem odd to me that she said the dogs haven't been trained for bat bugs, but one of the dogs has worked with the problem before. They should have picked up on at least the one in the glue trap. It is right next to the bed. I know they are in our house somewhere! We have been finding them for wks now and getting bit. The things look just like bed bugs and, about the smell I picked up the glue trap with the live adult bug today to take a look at it and, noticed a strange smell. I thought it was just the glue on the trap but, when I smelt the other trap it had no smell at all. Weird. Their dogs are supposed to be good. They are supposedly a reputable company in MD. but, I had no choice it is the landlord PCO which makes things a little more suspicious if you ask me. She did say the dogs had a slight, slight change in one of the bedrooms but, said it was also very sunny in the spot in that room. We have yet to even find a bug in that area. Should I trust the fact that she said we probably don't have a harborage of these bugs somewhere? And that they are just strays from the attic? We have found probably 20 bugs adults total. A lot have been found sweeping around washer/dryer I assume are from being in dirty clothes, but she seems to think they came down the side of the wall from the outside and into the dryer vent lol. (dead ones) She also said but"I am only a trainer not a technician". The lady was nice and seemed like she knew a lot about the dogs but, this doesn't solve any problems with the bat bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.