Bed Bug Confirmation Needed/ Advice On Moving Forwards

(10 posts)
  1. Mjrs91

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jun 24 2017 7:32:08
    #

Login to Send PM

So first off, Im already pretty sure that what I have found ARE indeed bed bugs. But some small part of me hopes I am wrong. I will also try to make this as short as possible. but I feel its important to give you the details, so you do not have to ask them of me.

My issue started when I got a new job, Walmart. I started working there in mid January, being late June now, you do the math. I met a guy, a coworker, and became friend with him and started hanging out with him during our breaks. Long story short, he and I started dating. And it was right around this time that my problems started. I live in Ohio, and this year we didn't really have much of a winter. The heat showed up early, along with the rain and so did the mosquitoes. I dread spring and summer, I am always a delicious target for mosquitoes and unfortunately I am also severely allergic to their bites, I always break out in hives.

Anyways, I started noticing myself getting bites. By this time its late March, early April. I assumed it was mosquito bites, because of how I reacted to them. But then the bites started increasing in number, and something about them was strange and different. As I said, I know I am allergic to mosquitoes, I have been used to it pretty much my whole life. But theses bites were too frequent, and I could NEVER seen the damned thing that was pretty much eating me alive, which had never happened before. EVERYTIME I was at my boyfriend's house, I would be bite much more often than anywhere else. He lives further out of town and in a country/farming area, so bugs are pretty much a given compared to my suburban city life style.

I wasn't being bit at home until early May. IT was also at this time that a friend of mine had to unexpectedly give me two kittens that were promised to me several weeks earlier than I anticipated. I didn't have a real bed at home (long story not important) at this time, just a futon mattress without a frame. I usually slept on my couch, because as you can imagine that is loads more comfortable than the futon on the floor. It is also important to know that I slept at my boyfriend's house the night before. That next morning I woke up with more bites than before, and some of them were in a strange design. This first image is NOT me, but an example. This picture is almost identical to what I found. When I searched out of curiosity for bug bites, I was horrified to see this because as I said it was identical aside from not being me.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/bedbug-bites-on-womans-back-and-buttocks-picture-id157635457?s=612x612

Fast forward to the first week of June. I am bit off and on at home, I stopped sleeping on the futon, but still every so now and then a bite will show up despite sleeping on the couch. I put off getting a new bed because I was becoming worried, but wasn't convinced. Call it denial if you want. June 4th is when I saw them for the first time. I spent my birthday with my boyfriend. The first night I was sitting on his bed, wrapped in my blanket. I had convinced myself I was allergic to his laundry detergent. I had adjusted my blanket while playing a video game that night and when I lifted it from under me only to see a bug start to scurry from me at the movement. In the dark lit room I immediately thought it was a Tick. I grabbed something to crush it, and then took a good look at it. I have seen ticks in person before, not bed bugs. This wasn't a Tick. I will provide a picture below. I told and showed my boyfriend, who shrugged it off and said I was wrong and overreacting. He said is was a "Rolly Polly" as they are called here. I have also seen those, but no this is not one.

In that night alone, I found and killed 3. All were unfed, all found in the same place, in the same way. Also it is important to say that if he had bites, he either wasn't saying anything or he wasn't having the same reaction as I was. By this time, he was in bed almost all day, due to a leg injury preventing him from walking. I made him check his bed, and all he did was lift it and eyeball the box spring for less than a minute. He denied having bed bugs, once again brushed it off as me overreacting and told me to drop the subject as it offended him. This happened on my birthday. I dumped him a week later because of this.

Unfortunately by now, I have gotten my new bed. I checked all of my things that day before I went home. There was either a blood or fecal stain on my brand new pillow. I washed and dried everything from that day, including my bag and purse. I checked but found nothing. Still I was getting bites. I have turned my apartment upside down looking. I have found absolutely nothing.
    Until now. A week ago I bought a special mattress cover to rid and prevent bed bugs. The biting stopped in bed. However if I slept on the couch or put my foot on the floor while watching TV I always ended up with at least one bite. Then 2 days ago I was turning the light off in the living room to go to bed, and saw one on my wall, by the light switch by the front door to my apartment. I tried to smash it and catch it with a shoe but it fell and I lost sight of it. Tonight I saw it again (if it is the same one) on a different wall in my living room, also at night around the time I was set to go to bed. Both time they looked smaller and therefore younger than the ones I saw at his house, and they also look unfed to me because they are flat. I personally cannot tell if they were male or female. The one from 2 days ago looked male to me, this one in the picture below....not sure. I also found what might be a husk last night, but I couldn't get a good picture of it, as it wont focus.

Here are the final details, and my dilemma.

I live in an apartment.
    -My carpet: Brown/Black SHAG carpet. 70's style but more modern. There is no way for me to see them or any eggs unless I crawl with my face pressed to the carpet. It is the safest place for them to hide.

-My couch, a Brown and Black Sectional. All of the throw pillows are the same colors. I have looked and vacuumed it, and found nothing. I get bit here if I sleep here.

-My bed is just a 14 inch memory foam mattress. I was being bit here, until the mattress sheet I bought.

-My bed frame is wrapped in fabric. The side rails are dark grey fabric and so is the headboard.

- I have two young 12 week old cats. Sometimes they seem to chase something on the floor in my kitchen, I had a brief ant problem in May that I took care of quickly. ( I lived in the desert for 4 years, that is an easy fix for me)

I have combed my sheets, blankets, and frame but cannot find a trace of them. I do still have my old futon mattress, it is still on the floor. However my cats took to marking on it so I was going to throw it away. It is the traditional black, so I haven't found anything on it. I have decided to just throw it away to be safe.

So if you're still with me ( I apologize for the length) please. I need advice for how I should go forwards. I have never had bed bugs before, there is a lot of disinformation online, and I have no idea what I am doing. It is also important to know that I have problems with Depression Anxiety, General Anxiety Disorder, Anxiety induced Paranoia and OCD. This situation is really taking it toll on my mental health. I am covered in bite scabs and now, because some of them have healed poorly due to all of my scratching, scars. This causes people to stare at me, especially to the marks on my arms. To an unknowing eye I can see how someone would assume I'm just some heroin addict, the epidemic is especially bad in this area and I am frequently exhausted from work and do not always look my best. My point is, I now always feel like I have bugs crawling all over me. I have dreams about being infested, and I used to have these dreams with I dealt with a bad ant infestation a few years ago when I lived in the desert. The slightest twitch has me jumping and smacking at myself. I have the bug crawling feeling almost the whole time I am at home now. I wont touch my floor unless its to walk and even then I wont stay standing long. I also live paycheck to paycheck and I'm barely getting by. I frequently have to pay bills late. So I'm terrified of calling an exterminator, partially for nothing and partially because I imagine it is very expensive.
    Please. Help me.

Pictures of my bugs:

1. found at ex boyfriend's
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/150591811@N07/shares/2H6M33
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/150591811@N07/shares/604p66

2. Stain in my pillow
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/150591811@N07/shares/a2QMEU

3.found at my apartment
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/150591811@N07/shares/262drS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/150591811@N07/shares/3L117K

2. Mawiwala

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jun 24 2017 7:43:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Those are indeed bed bugs. Sorry but you wouldn't call the PCO for nothing.

3. Livingagain

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jun 24 2017 8:22:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Of course you got them from your boyfriend's house. You need to be careful or you'll take them to work with you. You should get bags that freshly dried clothes can be put in, and then dress from those bags before you go to work. Nuvan or hot shot pest strips can work for shoes, but you may just have to examine carefully and use a little rubbing alcohol and then leave them bagged up when you're in your home.

If you are in a rental, you need to contact your landlord about the problem so it won't spread to your neighbors. Get the best treatment you can, and go along with whatever prep they want you to do. Then read and ask your PCO about using Cimexa to supplement whatever treatment you get. Cimexa is cheap and effective.

You need to act on this quickly. The longer you wait, the less likely it will be to be able to get resolved. You can ask questions you have, on here.

4. Mjrs91

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jun 24 2017 8:22:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah I thought so. Im not sure why but my post seems to have disappeared now as well....

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jun 25 2017 1:30:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Mjrs91 - 17 hours ago  » 
    Yeah I thought so. Im not sure why but my post seems to have disappeared now as well....

Sorry--it was in the spam filter-- it had posted twice. Shouldn't happen to you again.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Mjrs91

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 4 2017 12:23:43
    #

Login to Send PM

An update. I told my landord, and they basically told me to deal with it myself because they don't care and don't deal with pests like that. Wow. I'm emailing and calling Exterminators today because last night was a very rough night. I've taken to sitting on plastic wrap on my couch because otherwise I get bit while I watch TV. And now last night for the first time in almost a month, I was bit in bed again, at least 20 times all over my body. My toes, the back of my ankles, my knuckles, my forearm, back, finger, foot and upper left arm all were bit in small clusters of 2 or 3. I was literally asleep for 30 minutes and then woke up due to a stinging sensation all around my body and then the itchy feeling started. AS soon as I moved when I opened my eyes, I saw one scurry past my face on my pillow. Unfortunately I panicked and instead of smashing the damned thing I threw my pillow across the room. Unfortunately they have also started to bite one of my cats. He has a total of four bite marks,

I know heat can kill them. I wonder if vacating my apartment for a day or two and leaving my heaters on during that time could help at all?

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 4 2017 21:17:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Mjrs91 - 8 hours ago  » 
    An update. I told my landord, and they basically told me to deal with it myself because they don't care and don't deal with pests like that. Wow.

Have you checked into the local (city/county) laws regarding pest control in rental apartments and/or bed bugs in rentals? Sometimes landlords are responsible but are unaware or bank on your being unaware of your rights.

I know heat can kill them. I wonder if vacating my apartment for a day or two and leaving my heaters on during that time could help at all?

That's not likely to work. You have to get the temperatures up to high levels everywhere at once in order to avoid bed bugs simply moving to cooler spots and coming back later.

Traditional treatment does work.

One issue you have to deal with is re-exposure-- from the boyfriend, but also if any attached neighbors have them, they can come back to you.

And now last night for the first time in almost a month, I was bit in bed again, at least 20 times all over my body.

Make sure you get a careful inspection to confirm the problem is bed bugs and determine where they are. Getting no bites for a month and then twenty in a night does not make sense. Bed bug bites can be delayed reactions-- they generally appear hours, days or week or more after you're bitten. However, since you were reacting before, no reactions for a month and then twenty in one night doesn't sound right.

8. Mjrs91

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 5 2017 5:56:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I do in fact have bed bugs. I have seen them myself and had them ID'ed by the exterminator I called. I send her pictures and she confirmed as well for me. As I said, being bit actually woke me up because I felt so many at once. I had treated my bed prior and been spraying rubbing alcohol all over my bedroom for the last month every night before bed. That night I just happened to run out. It could be because they started biting one of my cats and that I was regularly spraying to keep them away. The only thing I can tell is that there were obviously multiple in my bed biting me simultaneously that night. I only caught the one because it was in the process of biting a hand that I moved next to my face as I woke up. I was never woken up from the process of being bit before, be I was never bit that much in such a short period either, not even at my boyfriend's house.

Also there is no chance of re-exposure from that boyfriend. He was so offended that I accused him of the bed bugs that he broke up with me before I could dump him myself. Charming.
    Because of the cost, and me living paycheck to paycheck I started a GOFUNDME to pay for the cost of the treatment and replacement of my couch, because I'm going to throw it away. I'm fairly certain that it was the first thing infested because my Ex used to sleep on it when he would spend the night. ( I didn't have an actual bed at the time) My only other hope is miraculously being able to get a credit card to pay for everything.

I wont post the GOFUNDME link because I don't know if its against forum rules or not.

9. Mjrs91

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 5 2017 5:58:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Also I forgot to mention, that in my city there are a lot of apartment complexes that get away with not helping tenants remove bed bugs. Its just how it kind of goes here. I would much rather get rid of them and then move. And my lease is up the first week of September.

10. Mjrs91

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 8:51:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Just an update:
    On 07/06/17 I was prepping for bed with my usual routine. Spraying rubbing alcohol, organizing my "Safety Sheet" that I created (I'll explain in a moment) and trying to convince myself that it was safe to sleep. Anyways, in the process of spraying my carpet around my bed, headboard, the railings of the platform bed frame, the mattress, the baseboards on the wall, etc, I found another one on my wall by my bed after about 5 minutes. I think I scared it out of its hiding place, or it could have just been hungry and looking for a host. But the timing was pretty convenient since I was literally spraying every possibly infested surface. I even flipped my heavy 14 inch memory foam mattress over to spray the ENTIRE surface of it and re inspect it.

Here is the picture of our newest little monster:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/150591811@N07/shares/C7a1Y3
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/150591811@N07/shares/Y8vY86

If you can confirm for me, I believe it to be an unfed adult male. Also since I found and killed this one I have not been bit at all. I could just be my tactics are working, it could be that they are just not hungry. I created what I call my Safety Sheet. Its a double layered piece of plastic that came in the packaging on my headboard when I got it. After removing all of my sheets, blankets and pillows I created routine where I rub pure lavender essential oil on all my my pulse points and soles of my feet. Then I get the sheet and I would lay it down, add dryer sheets inside and around it, place my 1 and only allowed pillow under it and use my one and only safe blanket to cocoon myself, and curl up into a ball. I also spray the sheet itself with the rubbing alcohol and around it. I'm pretty short so even though I cant fully stretch out I can still sleep comfortably enough. And NOTHING touches the blanket, I doesn't come off the plastic. Is it working and the main reason why I've been ok? I mean it could just be wishful thinking. I also use it when I sit on the couch to watch TV.

Anyways, I still have zero signs of eggs, or nymphs. And now that I've thought about it, I'm pretty sure literally every bug I've seen (the 3 in my apartment and the 3 at my Ex Boyfriends) has been an adult male bug. Feel free to tell me if I'm wrong, but they all look male to me and are clearly in the adult stage.

So what does this mean? Is this whole going for extended periods of time without activity normal? Am I ACTUALLY infested? Or could it be I just picked up some hitchhikers? OR maybe the bugs came from a neighbor after all, and they just randomly come to my apartment to feed? I just want to not be afraid of sleep. I'm terrified of it at this point. I refuse to do so without my safety sheet or routine, but the sheet is getting to be annoying, and wearing down because my cats play with it when I'm asleep and have torn it up. As I have already stated before, this situation is taking a toll on my mental health. My Depression & Anxiety is in a terrible state. As I stated before I cant afford the treatment from the PCO I called, I'm buying a mattress protector tomorrow. Will I be safe to retire the sheet then? I just want to be able to sleep without having an anxiety attack.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,596 posts in 43,278 topics over 130 months by 18,982 of 19,560 members. Latest: Koonspg4s, slynnp1, bkb